• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Guh.
I swear to God I hope that VGA thing is real.
Because ugh.
So much fucking hype for this week and then he ends it with a slap to the face
Well I think he's trying to show changes to Luigi because he never looked like that while jumping before... They gave him more of a comedic value than last time, making even his jumps silly as fuck. But that also means they're intentionally drawing him away from Mario steadily.

I don't know, I'm still bummed out by this day's picture.
Especially when you compare it to Mario Galaxy last week
Not gonna lie, Marth (aside from Toon Link) was the hypest i've felt for the game to date. Totally hype. The galaxy stuff was also pretty awesome.

Amazing song, horrible boss.

Horrible? Well I guess if by horrible you mean they just basically copy and pasted the final boss from Colors then yes I guess it would be accurate to say that.

i just want little mac
let me punch people in 18 different ways

takamaru would be pretty cool too

I'd totally be down for Little Mac if he took moves from other Punch-Out!! fighters.
And of course, Giga Mac for Final Smash
Giga_Mac.jpg

I really don't know if I want Big Mac as his Final Smash...
Well, of course it would be modified to work better.
What if it works like Zeus's level 3 except from the back?
Like he REALLY BULKS UP and it goes into like a classic Punch-Out type thing where you punch left, right and uppercut.

Well, of course it would be modified to work better.
What if it works like Zeus's level 3 except from the back?
Like he REALLY BULKS UP and it goes into like a classic Punch-Out type thing where you punch left, right and uppercut.
Someone suggested going into a behind the back mode for his final smash, so maybe.

Final Smash would be Doc Louis, obv

he invented the star punch

I really hope we get some kind of Link Between Worlds stage or trophy. Because Ravio is pretty cool, as is Lorule.
Wait, Nintendo actually followed up on that obvious Hyrule pun? Cool.

they have no reason not to use Punch-out Wii Mac
and I will personally go punch sakurai in the head if they don't use him
(also he needs a rivalry with DK)

Reactions: juju_for_president
"Mac, watch out! The referee is attacking ya!"

"You fought this ape once Mac, but this time, the gloves are off!"

"Don't think twice about punching that lady, Mac, cause she won't think about punching you!"
yay woman abuse

"Just think of him as King Hippo Mac, 'cept he can breathe fire and is a turtle dragon thing."

You guys are hyping yourselves too much and setting up for disappointment. Take it easy fellahs.
now you've done it
you won't like doc when he's angry

now you've done it
you won't like doc when he's angry
Especially when he isn't there.

Reactions: Lavama
guys I mean come on bomberman is five sure going to be in
thats more than for sure

Also Toad is replacing Yoshi and Captain Falcon is being removed for being irrelevant

source: Sakurai is my uncle

Reactions: Rellek
I'm just saying, Little Mac is probably in.
I just hope Doc Louis is there.
Even if he's just in the Reveal Video, it'd be great
"Mac Baby, you got a letter...looks important!" Something like that

one of mac's taunts could be eating a chocolate bar

do it too much and Doc gets mad

I wouldn't say probably, but he is one newcomer who I believe has the highest chances personally.
Like, other characters are mostly just wishful thinking (I'm sorry Dillon, Ray-01...) but with the success of Punch-Out!! Wii as well as Sakurai's fetish for classic characters, its a fairly reasonable prediction.

Much better than Villager, Mega Man AND Wii Fit Trainer, that's for sure.

One thing though that might jeopardize it though is this, coming from the Wikipedia article:
"The inclusion of Donkey Kong was a suggestion from an employee of Nintendo of America, and Tanabe also wished to include Princess Peach, but that idea was abandoned because of the issue of violence towards women."

Which makes you wonder if that extends to Smash Bros. Maybe because it's boxing it's "too real" compared to the goofiness of Smash Bros? I dunno.

i dunno goring someone with a sword is pretty gruesome in real life

getting decked by a featherweight boxer is a decent alternative, if you ask me

I wouldn't say probably, but he is one newcomer who I believe has the highest chances personally.
Like, other characters are mostly just wishful thinking (I'm sorry Dillon, Ray-01...) but with the success of Punch-Out!! Wii as well as Sakurai's fetish for classic characters, its a fairly reasonable prediction.

Much better than Villager, Mega Man AND Wii Fit Trainer, that's for sure.

One thing though that might jeopardize it though is this, coming from the Wikipedia article:
"The inclusion of Donkey Kong was a suggestion from an employee of Nintendo of America, and Tanabe also wished to include Princess Peach, but that idea was abandoned because of the issue of violence towards women."

Which makes you wonder if that extends to Smash Bros. Maybe because it's boxing it's "too real" compared to the goofiness of Smash Bros? I dunno.

The newcomers with the highest chances in my eyes are Rosalina and Bowser Jr.
You're right, with the success of Punch Out Wii, he might be considered for development... But in all honesty, he's still assist trophy material. There's just not enough creativity with his fighting style to give a fun and interesting moveset. Normals, punches. Specials, cooler looking punches. Up B, shoryuken. Final Smash, lots of punches. It's just repetitive really...

He's brilliant in Punch Out because that's literally the point of it. It's in the damn name. Smash bros though... I don't feel like he's gonna be doing much smashing.

do you know how many boxing techniques there are
even just for smaller lightweight boxers, there's a ton of stuff possible
y'all ignorant
do you even know what a dempsey roll is

do you know how many boxing techniques there are
even just for smaller lightweight boxers, there's a ton of stuff possible
y'all ignorant
do you even know what a dempsey roll is

Are kids gonna know wtf these techniques are? Are they easily distinguishable from a distance as is the case with Smash's camera? That was one of the problems I have with Olimar. His attacks are almost completely indistinguishable from each other.

See, I see more like using the gimmicks from each boxer from Punch Out.

Like Bear Hugger's squirrel, guarding using King Hippo's belly plate, Great Tiger's Mirage Dance, Aran Ryan's glove on a rope, Soda Popinski's pop being a counter hit thing, Bald Bull's bull charge, Triple Clothesline from Super Macho Man. Stuff like that.

As for Olimar, I never had a problem with his attacks being indistinguishable. Like, they're attacks using the Pikmin. What else is there to distinguish other than whack upwards, throw left, etc?

I'm kinda torn on that front, honestly
while I think taking moves from the other boxers would be an interesting way to fill his moveset, it wouldn't be too good for Mac himself. He's an up-and-up kind of fighter. Doesn't really use any dirty tactics or anything and gets by using his small frame and speed, along with just not giving up. It would be weird to see him whip out Aran "I'm a Deranged Irishman" Ryan's glove-flail.

As for Olimar, I never had a problem with his attacks being indistinguishable. Like, they're attacks using the Pikmin. What else is there to distinguish other than whack upwards, throw left, etc?
Exactly... He just motions in a direction and that's an attack...

i'm sure sakurai is sorry that everyone isn't as telegraphed as ganondorf
but i think you'll manage

i'm sure sakurai is sorry that everyone isn't as telegraphed as ganondorf
but i think you'll manage
At least Ganondorf was fun regardless of how horrendously bad he is.

Anyway, let's talk stages. There's a couple of stages I want even if they don't get character representation.

Like, a Chibi Robo stage. Sure, he may not ever be playable, but with the Nintendogs stage shrinking the characters down, why not a Chibi Robo one? It would evoke the action figure battles that was the original motif for Smash 64.

gamecube-41822-51329249789.jpg

As for handheld, I could see a Custom Robo Arena map. Preferably with Custom Robos fighting in the background.

custom-robo-arena-20070320021810205-001.jpg

And finally, I really want a Rainbow Road stage. While Mario Circuit was cool, Rainbow Road is iconic. Gimme the Double Dash!! version, as it has the best music and design, IMO.
1229854-double_dash_rainbow_road_super.png