• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

The newcomers with the highest chances in my eyes are Rosalina and Bowser Jr.
You're right, with the success of Punch Out Wii, he might be considered for development... But in all honesty, he's still assist trophy material. There's just not enough creativity with his fighting style to give a fun and interesting moveset. Normals, punches. Specials, cooler looking punches. Up B, shoryuken. Final Smash, lots of punches. It's just repetitive really...

He's brilliant in Punch Out because that's literally the point of it. It's in the damn name. Smash bros though... I don't feel like he's gonna be doing much smashing.
Marth, Roy, and Ike had at most like 4 moves in their games (normal attack, critical attack, and main character special attack and maybe something more) and they managed to make characters out of them.

I do really hope we get Little mac though

BUT ANYWAY
STAGES!

What I want
Pokemon: N's Castle (3DS), Pokemon Colosseum 3 (Wii U), Team Flare Secret HQ (With Yveltal in the background), Mt Silver (3DS)
Mario: Bowser's Castle (Wii U)
Metroid: Phaaze (3DS), Fusion Stage (3DS)

hmm
Stages are a bit of a toughie, since we've already been shown that they'll be mixing stuff up with stages like Mario Galaxy.
I suppose I'd like to see a MOTHER stage, myself. Mt. Itoi perhaps?

Reactions: Jutsei
Yeah, a new Mother stage would be cool. Though I'd imagine the most logical choice would be Saturn Valley, as it's both in Earthbound and Mother 3.

As for Pokemon, I'd imagine the 3DS stage to be more story-oriented like N's Castle while the console one to be a more generic one.

I'd like to see more of the DKCR3D stage that's been confirmed for the 3DS version, as we know nothing about it. I've been saving every picture of Smash that's been released, and there is only TWO of that stage.

The newcomers with the highest chances in my eyes are Rosalina and Bowser Jr.
You're right, with the success of Punch Out Wii, he might be considered for development... But in all honesty, he's still assist trophy material. There's just not enough creativity with his fighting style to give a fun and interesting moveset. Normals, punches. Specials, cooler looking punches. Up B, shoryuken. Final Smash, lots of punches. It's just repetitive really...

He's brilliant in Punch Out because that's literally the point of it. It's in the damn name. Smash bros though... I don't feel like he's gonna be doing much smashing.
Have I ever mentioned my Little Mac idea here?

If not, I was thinking Mac could be a counter-based character a la Baiken from Guilty Gear. His normals could all have a counter-hit gimmick where if he stuffs an opponent's attack he gains bonuses like stun, hitstop likeZSS's paralyzer, etc. His special moves would be different kinds of counterattacks (I was thinking B and Down B could be like high/low blocks like most fighters, and his Side B could be a weave-and-punch move closer to the Fire Emblem counters) while he could have the Star Punch for his up B. In addition, landing B/Down B or stuffing the opponent could give him stars, which increases the power and recovery potential each star he gains.

Just my two cents.

That's a little too fightan game for smash bros, if you ask me.
An interesting idea, but not exactly something that would fit too well in the series.

Have I ever mentioned my Little Mac idea here?

If not, I was thinking Mac could be a counter-based character a la Baiken from Guilty Gear. His normals could all have a counter-hit gimmick where if he stuffs an opponent's attack he gains bonuses like stun, hitstop likeZSS's paralyzer, etc. His special moves would be different kinds of counterattacks (I was thinking B and Down B could be like high/low blocks like most fighters, and his Side B could be a weave-and-punch move closer to the Fire Emblem counters) while he could have the Star Punch for his up B. In addition, landing B/Down B or stuffing the opponent could give him stars, which increases the power and recovery potential each star he gains.

Just my two cents.

I agree with Ruin on this one. That's a little too Fightan for Smash bros. Little too much mechanics worked into that. Biggest mechanic heavy character is Lucario with his Reversal Aura which wasn't even horribly game changing.

Captain Falcon is being removed for being irrelevant
I would laugh so hard if that happened.
Especially if Ice Climbers stayed in.

@Stages
-Pushmo: I think someone already said this, but it would still be amazing. There would be a pushmo puzzle in the back, and the pushmos being pulled and pushed all the way out in an effort to solve the puzzle can be used as platforms for the players. You could also possibly be able to hit the pushmo guy to push him off and prevent him from screwing with the stage any more. You could also have a ton of different levels
-Gamma (Megaman 3): I would be happy if every new stage was from megaman. No, I'm serious. There's way too much good material here. I wanted one of the big bosses. Initially I wanted the robot dragon from mm2, but the whole scrolling stage thing has been done to death by now. Then I thought about Sigma's final form in X1, but I don't know if megaman X is out of the question or not. So how about everyone's favorite unnecessarily weaponized peacekeeper? (Seriously, is it even wily's fault that this thing was used for evil? Who builds a giant heavily armed robot to be their peacekeeper?) Alternatively, since we're probably only going to get one megaman stage, he could come out as a stage hazard on the wily castle stage like Dialga and Palkia, although I think devil's already doing that.
-Dark Moon Castle (Sakura Samurai): In particular, the last room with the Sakura tree. This game is too gorgeous not to get its own stage. The game has its own unique style, and this stage would definitely represent it the best.
-Kokiri Forest (Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D): I've wanted this since smash 64. Not kidding. Kokiri forest is by far my favorite setting out of the entire zelda franchise, and with the rerelease of OoT, they've got a good excuse to put it in. Of course, with gerudo valley getting in, I have no choice, but... I still want it, okay?
-Wherever Chapter 10 takes place (Fire Emblem: Awakening): You know the chapter with the rain and the sadness and the best music in fire emblem history. This was the best chapter in the game almost entirely because it looked beautiful. It's not very typical Fire Emblem, but it's still an awesome setting regardless, and fire emblem has always been equal parts typical fantasy novel and sadness (I mean this is a game with perma-death we're talking about, even though most people are pussies and soft reset when they fuck up) so it would be nice to see the other side of the series. Plus seriously that music:

Also, does anyone else think that that big stadium could maybe kind of possibly be a punch out stage?
Smasharenawiiu.png
I mean, the fire and the lasers and the big screen tv and the speakers and the ssb logo are new, but it's pretty much the same layout as the ring from the NES punch-out.

Reactions: Jutsei
Few more stage ideas

Zelda: Lorule (Either Lorule Castle, Death Mountain/Skull Woods, or The Thieve's Village, 3DS), A stage from Link's Awakening (3DS), Hyrule Castle (either new or returning)

Other: Nintendo 3DS (could go through various things like the Eshop) Miiverse (same concept)

Also, does anyone else think that that big stadium could maybe kind of possibly be a punch out stage?
Smasharenawiiu.png
I mean, the fire and the lasers and the big screen tv and the speakers and the ssb logo are new, but it's pretty much the same layout as the ring from the NES punch-out.

It's also the same layout as pretty much every regulation boxing ring ever!

Wow what a coincidence.

It's also the same layout as pretty much every regulation boxing ring ever!

Wow what a coincidence.
I can't find the specific post for this but I heard a compelling argument for this being Little Mac's stage on Smashboards.
The argument being that this stage is a part of the Smash Circuit. Like how there is the Major, Minor and World Circuit in Punch Out.

Take a look at this
QSCAXpe.jpg
4upO58F.png
The number of ropes and the colors in the Smash stage are exactly the same as the Major circuit's. Also they both share the star theme on the borders. Which is a common theme on the different Punch Out circuits.

Then there's the light show colors EDIT(I didn't see this part was already brought up whoops)
Odu2I7I.jpg

hvnTGDl.png
both of them are green.
The audience is clearly humanoid as well, which works with it being a Punch Out stage, rather than a Smash version of Dedede's arena.

Also there has been no footage of the boxing stage on the 3DS which supports this theory as Punch Out has never been on handhelds.

Now I wouldn't say this proves this stage to be a Punch Out one for sure. It could end up being another Battlefield type stage. But I wouldn't discount these similarities, I mean it seems to be pointing much more to it being Punch Out then not.

... The number of ropes in the ring is also the same as in pretty much any boxing ring ever.

Reactions: Rellek
Regardless, it looks like a fun stage. Pretty basic, but nice. But lord knows competitive players won't play it because as you know stages have to be the floating island type.

also items off

fox only

I much prefer being a casual player.

... The number of ropes in the ring is also the same as in pretty much any boxing ring ever.
593185-mike_20tyson_s_20punch_20out.png

Well for what it's worth the NES Punch Out boxing ring only has 3.
I mean it doesn't really prove anything since 4 is the most common for boxing rings, but nyeeh counter example.

I just wanna punch people as a kid from the Bronx
I wanna punch people in so many different ways
I wanna punch robots, and animals, and animal people, and robot animal people if possible

I just wanna punch people as a kid from the Bronx
I wanna punch people in so many different ways
I wanna punch robots, and animals, and animal people, and robot animal people if possible

Robo Fortune?

Reactions: Lavama
Regardless, it looks like a fun stage. Pretty basic, but nice. But lord knows competitive players won't play it because as you know stages have to be the floating island type.

also items off

fox only

I much prefer being a casual player.

I actually think the sides might act as walls so it's definitely banned. Any stage with a wall connecting to the floor is banned. Grab release tactics and jabby shenanigans.

And guys, don't forget.
DLC is a very strong possibility, Sakurai's just not thinking about it until the game is 100% complete.
He said he was more interested in using that kind of stuff for balance patches and such, but DLC characters do remain in the realm of possibility.

He said he was more interested in using that kind of stuff for balance patches and such, but DLC characters do remain in the realm of possibility.
Yeah, that too.
I just hope it does the "Injustice" way of thinking
In that you literally can't play until you patch, so you can't be salty and prevent people from playing with their shiny new DLC character.

Yeah, that too.
I just hope it does the "Injustice" way of thinking
In that you literally can't play until you patch, so you can't be salty and prevent people from playing with their shiny new DLC character.
You can't make me patch when I'm physically unable to connect to the interwebz! HA!

what if theis stadium stage is the new final destination?

And Sakurai said if there was any DLC, it would for sure be free.

Cause he's an awesome dude

And he's really sexy too

sakurai-660x439.jpg

what if theis stadium stage is the new final destination?

If anything Smashville would replace it then.
I mean, if it's similar to Final Destination in the fact that it's just an original fighting arena, hey, that's cool.

But Fox technically is a robot animal person.

Reactions: Rellek
And Sakurai said if there was any DLC, it would for sure be free.

Cause he's an awesome dude

And he's really sexy too
This is always a nice motto at face value, but there's always a trade off.
Because if they're willing to make DLC at all, they could almost certainly make more, or at least higher quality content if they charged for it. Personally, I'm not against paying 5-10 bucks for DLC that adds real content, and I would rather like to see this stuff get made more than I would like to pay less money.
I mean, I like free stuff as much as the next guy, but there's a limit to how much you can do with it. Big stuff like new characters and stages require more money than they're worth if they aren't going to sell it, and in the end Sakurai isn't influential enough to get nintendo to throw more money at him for absolutely no reason.

good i hate Fox
can't wait to punch him right out of his landmaster

Ok, can we ALL agree that there's at least going to be ONE returning space animal to fight alongside Fox in this game? Good. Now, Sakurai would you kindly...

GET RID OF THE LANDMASTERS

Hmm. Pic of the day suggests that Arena Fernox is the Pokemon Stadium for the 3DS version. Interesting.

More like a mix between Pokemon Stadium and Castle Siege. What with the giant statues holding platforms and stuff.

Last edited:
as long we don't need to deal with those drop off segments that Castle Siege made us do, I'm fine with it.

Yeah, I'd imagine it would be more like Pokemon Stadium where it's one platform that can have multiple lay outs. We've seen the one with wooden barricades
REXXtbQ.jpg

And now we have this one with the statues from Castle Siege. 20 Play Coins says they're breakable
mSz2irI.jpg

I'm guessing it will also get a totally flat version, like on the Streetpass Plaza puzzle.