• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

when's little mac

200px-MT_Punch-Out_mike_tyson.png

Reactions: Lavama and Jutsei
We need more Mario RPG everything. They make up some of the best Mario games and yet get little to no representation in smash.
You know who needs to be playable from a Mario RPG?

Motherfucking PENNINGTON

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
lol Ridley talk. Let's get Mother Brain playable instead.

Or maybe the "Remember Me?" guy.

Honestly, I think Anthony Higgs would be lucky to be an Assist Trophy. There is no way he is going to be playable.

Kinda Off-Topic, but out of curiosity, about how many people on Smashboards (if any) are asking for Rayman in SSB4?

King K. Rool would be nice, actually. I'd like to see a boomerang throw with his Krown, of course, but I feel so many people would call him a Link rip-off...

geno is a better choice than ridley and geno is one of the worst choices ever
Dare I ask who YOU would like to be in the game? Beside's the obvious choice of Little Mac?

Reactions: Jutsei
I'm still surprised people are still so strongly opposed to Ridley.
He's been in literally almost every single game in Metroid, and he's been in literally every Smash Bros too.

Dare I ask who YOU would like to be in the game? Beside's the obvious choice of Little Mac?
Little Ma-*reads the rest of the post*
oh
Takamaru
Shulk
Waluigi
Samurai Goroh
The Avatar (from FE:A)
have Naked Snake replace Solid (along with Naked's support crew replacing Solid's, since Naked's were better anyway)

really I never got why people want ridley in the first place
he's devoid of any interesting qualities beyond BUT HE'S A SPACE DRAGON (bowser is a better dragon come and fight me)
i mean yeah he's important to the metroid series but what does he really serve to bring to the table for smash bros
he's better as a boss

Reactions: Rellek
I'm still surprised people are still so strongly opposed to Ridley.
He's been in literally almost every single game in Metroid, and he's been in literally every Smash Bros too.
Well, so has Master Hand, but....

I'm personally part of the "too big" group when thinking of Ridley. Freaking EVERYONE brings up the size thing with Olimar, but really, it would only work if Samus was smaller.

Little Ma-*reads the rest of the post*
oh
Takamaru
Shulk
Waluigi
Samurai Goroh
The Avatar (from FE:A)
have Naked Snake replace Solid (along with Naked's support crew replacing Solid's, since Naked's were better anyway)
Fair enough. Those are some pretty solid choices. Can't believe you don't like Geno though...

I think I'm for Takamaru, Captain Rainbow, Chibi Robo, Any of the Ray models from Custom Robo, Shulk, Waluigi, and maybe Dillon.

I hold the heretical opinion that SMRPG is a generic piece of garbage with little redeeming quality
geno included into that
come and fight me about that too if you want

I like some of the music tho

EDIT: also on the size thing
it's easier to make a small character bigger and make them work than to make a big character smaller and have them work. Part of what makes Ridley such a threat is how big, fast, and tenacious he is.
I treat it like putting Travis Touchdown but taking all the swearing and sexual innuendo, you remove what makes him memorable and worthwhile. Sizing down Ridley is taking away what makes him such a terrifying threat to Samus. Remove that and he's just a skinny persistent dragon thing.

Reactions: Rellek
SMRPG's bad, but Ridley is amazing.

Takamaru (Mystery of Murasame Castle)
Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Krystal (Star Fox)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)

and these are a maybe:

Rosalina (Mario Galaxy)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Viridi (Kid Icarus)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)

And if we need some WTF type character: Dog (Duck Hunt)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lavama
he was also a generic boss in metroid 1
The Ridley we all care about is thrice her size and a mean mammajamma

Plus.
They're all Trophies.
Of course they're not to scale.

I never thought of it that way, now all the weird scaling makes sense

What we want in Smash Bros =/= What should be in Smash Bros

Ridley's a very poor choice when thinking of playable characters. Having Ridley is what would be good for the fans, not the game itself. Last time game developers listened to the fans we got Beowulf. nuff said.

Reactions: Crayolan and Ruin
I think Sakurai once answered a question on if Ridley would be playable ever.
If memory serves right, it was something like
"He could work, but we'd have to make him kind of slow. Is that alright?"
I think it was in Nintendo Power or something

Ridley's a very poor choice when thinking of playable characters. Having Ridley is what would be good for the fans, not the game itself. Last time game developers listened to the fans we got Beowulf. nuff said.
yah but the characters in Skullgirls, for the most part, are driven by the story there is virtually no story in Smash that Ridley would mess with

Reactions: Jutsei
sakurai also hinted that ridley will be appearing as a stage hazard in the pyrosphere

Understandable.

Ridley's a very poor choice when thinking of playable characters. Having Ridley is what would be good for the fans, not the game itself.
Why would his inclusion be bad for the game?

And I'd also like to point out that one person can't arbitrarily decide who "should" be in a game. I would like to see Fire Emblem get reps that use different weapons than just swords, but you don't see me going around saying Chrom "shouldn't" be in the game. Like it or not, that's an opinion. Passing off an opinion as fact will only get you hate.

Rant over, Hector for Smash 4, peace out.

He didn't say Ridley would be a stage hazard.
All he said was "AN enemy from Samus' past could appear at any moment!"
The way he said it didn't outright say he was a stage hazard.
And it could be something else.

Plus, the hole in the background is AFTER the fight with Ridley.
It's where he escapes.

Ridley is literally Samus's only major enemy that is involved with her backstory (ate her parents) and her most iconic enemy in the general series, barring the eponymous creatures.
The stage is also the location where you fight ridley in the game of it origin, so it makes sense for him to appear there.

must be getting hard to type with all those straws you're grasping

Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy)
Palutena (Kid Icarus Uprising)
Mallow (Super Mario RPG) (I'm probably the only person who likes him)
ANY character that doesn't wield a sword (Fire Emblem)
Anna if we have to see yet another sword-wielder though.