• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

geno is a better choice than ridley and geno is one of the worst choices ever
I hold the heretical opinion that SMRPG is a generic piece of garbage with little redeeming quality
geno included into that
come and fight me about that too if you want
I treat it like putting Travis Touchdown but taking all the swearing and sexual innuendo, you remove what makes him memorable and worthwhile.
SMRPG's bad

6a01348134c1a0970c016766bccd9d970b-pi

yes it may be a shock to you that the game is a generic and half-baked final fantasy with mario characters slapped on it.

Reactions: Rellek
yes it may be a shock to you that the game is a generic and half-baked final fantasy with mario characters slapped on it.

What's your favorite SNES JRPG? Just a wii bit curious here.

Reactions: Lavama

Never played a Final Fantasy game so I can't judge based on similarity, but the game is pretty good on its own merits. I at least hope you don't share the same feelings for Paper Mario/M&L.

What's your favorite SNES JRPG? Just a wii bit curious here.
Chrono Trigger, followed by Live-A-Live and Final Fantasy 6

as for Mario RPGs, Paper Mario, Dream Team, and Super Star Saga. The former 2 are interchangeable as my favorite. Partners in Time is bland, Inside Story's only merit is Bowser, Thousand Year Door is boring to play(but the characters are passable), Super Paper Mario is trash, and Sticker Star has some merits

fight me

Chrono Trigger, followed by Live-A-Live and Final Fantasy 6

as for Mario RPGs, Paper Mario, Dream Team, and Super Star Saga. The former 2 are interchangeable as my favorite. Partners in Time is bland, Inside Story's only merit is Bowser, Thousand Year Door is boring to play(but the characters are passable), Super Paper Mario is trash, and Sticker Star has some merits

fight me

You like Chrono Trigger, therefore we're good.

Speaking of Mario RPGs I have never ever tried the Mario & Luigi series. Am I missing out?

You like Chrono Trigger, therefore we're good.

Speaking of Mario RPGs I have never ever tried the Mario & Luigi series. Am I missing out?
The writing is humorous and the combat is fun and a bit more about avoid getting damaged and using your specials a bit more than your normal attacks

as for Mario RPGs, Paper Mario, Dream Team, and Super Star Saga. The former 2 are interchangeable as my favorite.

Okay

Partners in Time is bland, Inside Story's only merit is Bowser

Disagree but I can see why for this

Thousand Year Door is boring to play(but the characters are passable), Super Paper Mario is trash, and Sticker Star has some merits

url-17.gif

in any case i need to make up for some lost time

little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac little mac

that ought to do it for the evening

Reactions: DDB and Lavama
Ridley is literally Samus's only major enemy that is involved with her backstory (ate her parents) and her most iconic enemy in the general series, barring the eponymous creatures.
The stage is also the location where you fight ridley in the game of it origin, so it makes sense for him to appear there.
First off Mother Brain was (According the the manga thing.) created by the Chozos, then took control over her second home planet. I'd say that's also backstory potential. Or, say, a giant Metroid? SA-X? With Sakurai at the helm, anything's possible.

Here's a thought: What if Ridley got in as a character, and then Meta Ridley pops up in the background?

Here's a thought: What if Ridley got in as a character, and then Meta Ridley pops up in the background?
that would be dumb

It's Sakurai we're talking about. For the love of God he could throw a Generic Space Pirate in the roster and it'd make sense.

TL;DR: Ridley = "Generic Space Pirate", so, yeah. I'm right. Get over it. :P

EDIT: Oh my God I'm defending Ridley getting in over Kraid.

Shoot me.

no it's actually super dumb
Ya know Jutsei, he's right.

But we're talking about Sakurai. So for all we know it could be the Baby Metroid because we fought him once.

EDIT: OH MY GOD. WHAT IF NES RIDLEY/KRAID ARE ASSIST TROPHIES?

BECAUSE I MEAN THAT MAKES SENSE

Last edited:
I'd be able to accept Ridley as an assist

seems like a good enough place for him

tumblr_mxtfrbj3CT1r9in49o1_500.jpg

Apparently this was from an official Club Nintendo calendar that listed games that would be released by each month, or something.

Reactions: Jutsei
I LIKED IT BETTER WHEN IT WAS MY BIRTH MONTH.

Reactions: Crayolan
that's actually quite early
interesting

and rather shortly after my b-day

neato

Sorry I don't buy it. Besides I think those calendars just mostly take random game images and apply them to months, I honestly don't think they're meant to hint at official release dates. I remember having one of those last year and I'm pretty sure Animal Crossing New Leaf wasn't released in October. (Or was November that had that)

Sorry I don't buy it. Besides I think those calendars just mostly take random game images and apply them to months, I honestly don't think they're meant to hint at official release dates. I remember having one of those last year and I'm pretty sure Animal Crossing New Leaf wasn't released in October. (Or was November that had that)
That's why I'm unsure about it.
Plus, all the renders are from the website.

"He could work, but we'd have to make him kind of slow. Is that alright?"
Lemme paste the ENTIRE conversation rather than that select part you decided to share.

Nintendo Power
: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?
Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

Lol, even sakurai has doubts.

This conversation may be the butter to my toast. How old is it?

well nintendo power was still a thing so it's at least a few months

Thing is, back in the Melee days, Metroid had two games with Ridley, and all he did was float, shoot fireballs, and use his tail as a whip/stabby weapon.

Now we have, what, Meta Ridley, Ridley, Omega Ridley, Ridley-X, he's much more viable now than he ever was, which makes me think that article coulda been back from the Melee days.

you wanna know who is usable and viable for smash tho
my mom little mac takamaru

Now that I think about it

Why don't we get a NES Zapper? And maybe a throwable duck that gets shot after x amount of time? (Maybe random)

Pretty sure the Super Scope is based off the NES Zapper. Or some real-life Nintendo accessory.

The Super Scope is based off of the SNES accessory of the same name. It was the SNES equivalent to the Zapper.