• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

After playing some more of Punch Out Wii I still think Little Mac having a moveset based around counter hits would work for him.

90% of the time if you want to get a star punch you have to hit them before they hit you, so that could act as a cool gimmick thing if they want to try it.
He should have a particularly good roll... like, super fast and/or able to cancel out of it. So it could function similar to a parry in that your opponent melees, you roll towards them to dodge, and can counter punch right there before they finish the attack.
Really just anything that isn't just his down B is a parry, that would be incredibly stupid.

Another idea I had for him: Hitting an opponent out of their attack awards 1 star point. Using your Up B (uppercut) with a star point powers it up (more %, more knockback) and expends a star point. Could possibly also apply to all his specials?

He should have a particularly good roll... like, super fast and/or able to cancel out of it. So it could function similar to a parry in that your opponent melees, you roll towards them to dodge, and can counter punch right there before they finish the attack.
Really just anything that isn't just his down B is a parry, that would be incredibly stupid.

Another idea I had for him: Hitting an opponent out of their attack awards 1 star point. Using your Up B (uppercut) with a star point powers it up (more %, more knockback) and expends a star point. Could possibly also apply to all his specials?
EXACTLY what I was thinking. Minus the part about the roll. I don't think they'll make it so you can cancel out of it, but making it fast could work.

I was thinking that for each star point it could also increase the extent of his recovery, so he can choose to use it to get back on to the ledge or to save it for when he actually gets to the opponent.

Final smash = little mac runs to the opponent and continuously jabs in the face. After every jab the opponent makes a weird face during their hit stun. Ends with a classic NES punch-out uppercut (up b would probably be pretty shoryuken-like), which, upon contact, makes the opponent back up awkwardly and fall over. If they didn't fall off the stage, referee mario comes out and starts the count; at 10 the opponent is instantly killed.
Also, his winning pose should be referee mario calling TKO and mac cheering afterwards.

y'know... they could make another "army" character with koopa troopas

then each attack would summon a different koopa (flying, normal, the football one from super mario world...)

and the final smash would be something with baby bowser

Game & Watch main here!

Final smash = little mac runs to the opponent and continuously jabs in the face. After every jab the opponent makes a weird face during their hit stun. Ends with a classic NES punch-out uppercut (up b would probably be pretty shoryuken-like), which, upon contact, makes the opponent back up awkwardly and fall over. If they didn't fall off the stage, referee mario comes out and starts the count; at 10 the opponent is instantly killed.
Also, his winning pose should be referee mario calling TKO and mac cheering afterwards.

Let's be real, if he's in, there's a 99% chance his Final Smash will be Giga Mac.

y'know... they could make another "army" character with koopa troopas

then each attack would summon a different koopa (flying, normal, the football one from super mario world...)

and the final smash would be something with baby bowser

Better army character:
200px-GeneralGuy1.jpg

Reactions: Rellek
If Little Mac actually gets in I think it'd be cool of if neutral dodge or down b is sway. If it's his down b it can have a cool followup if b (with or without a direction) was pressed again.

Know who this game needs? Pichu. I want my good ol troll pal back. Lucas too.

Reactions: Rellek and Arcana
Hopefully starting tomorrow I won't rely on staying up late to catch Smash updates.
Anyway, anyone think there'll be a Nintendo Direct this month?
There was one last year in January and it's where they announced some crazy crazy stuff

I think Directs are pretty much going to be a monthly thing at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced one this week, since the middle of the month is when they usually happen.

I think Directs are pretty much going to be a monthly thing at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced one this week, since the middle of the month is when they usually happen.
It's always either monthly, or bi-monthly.
So I think one this week is likely

Dunno about you guise, but in terms of tiers, megaman looks to be some pretty good high tier material. I can't even imagine how annoying that rock shooters going to end up being. It'll just annoy people to hell. Great approach tool, screws with recoveries, if you're not paying attention it'll cancel one of your moves, it just looks annoying. The leaf guard I can see being used a lot, good meteor, amazing vertical recovery. Guy looks pretty good so far. Yet to play him obviously but he looks alright.

And because of me WFT is going to be SSS tier, mark my words.

Dunno if you guys know but Rosalina is in the newest Mario Kart arcade game. She's still a heavy character. Still no Daisy, fuck you, Nintendo. On topic, Rosalina is my new main.

I'm really excited to see some alt colors. Those make me happy.

We only have a few alts confirmed:

Wii Fit Trainer as a male
Pink Dedede

I hope there's a lot of referential alts. Like, for Green Team Mega Man, they can't not use Quint
megaman_tt__s_quint_by_justedesserts-d4hpfqx.png

He's literally an evil version of Mega Man from the future.

Dunno if you guys know but Rosalina is in the newest Mario Kart arcade game. She's still a heavy character. Still no Daisy, fuck you, Nintendo. On topic, Rosalina is my new main.

Really? I wouldn't imagine her being a heavyweight in Smash. Maybe medium, if not, light. Cant see a puppeteer character being a heavyweight. Just too many things going for them :/

Pink Dedede

I hope there's a lot of referential alts. Like, for Green Team Mega Man, they can't not use Quint

everyone thought that couldn't NOT use Knuckles for Red Sonic and Shadow for Black Sonic but we all saw how that went...

I don't think we'll get too many Alternate costumes, if they're meaningful, yeah.
We'll get some cool alternate colors though.
I kinda want a Black & White Megaman since he was on the Gameboy too

I think the problem with Sonic was the fact that he had to be blue, or at least a shade close to it. Mega Man has been literally the color of the rainbow.

We'll see. I can imagine Sonic getting more/better costumes this time as he wasn't a late addition like in Brawl.

Still no Daisy, fuck you, Nintendo.
Wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to ignore her, tbh.
I mean christ, at least Waluigi passes the silhouette test.

Pink Dedede

Megaman NEEDS these alt costumes:
Megaman X
Megaman Volnutt
Protoman (OR A CLONE. WITH A SHIELD SPECIAL FOR HIS DOWN B. SAKURAI PLZ I LOVE PROTOMAN PLZ)

Or else I will personally spit on Masahiro Sakurai. Right in the face. And just to make it special, I'll chew tobacco for an entire month beforehand. And contract chronic bronchitis. Yeah, you better fear my wrath Sakurai.

Reactions: Jutsei
I think you're just getting Megaman.
Because the sprite proportions are built around his NES Sprite, trying to make ti Volnutt or Megaman X will just look awkward.
Well at least protoman.
Protoman is the important one.
Protoman is the most important character in smash bros. history.

Rosalina's a heavyweight in the Mario Kart games because she's tall.

Think about it, only the big cars and bikes would be able to work with her size, regardless of how much she actually weighs. It's an easy explanation

I don't think Sonic will be getting different colors, I remember reading something about Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed... they wanted to add alternate colors for characters if two or more players picked the same person but SEGA said no because they didn't want their characters looking like someone else. But take that with a grain of salt.

Ice_Luigi_MKAGPDX.jpg
In case you guys didn't see. Waluigi's in the game but ya have to unlock him. Also Mario and Luigi have alternate colors.

Can 2015 be the year of Waluigi?
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
Woah there, don't say such things. It'll obviously be the year of Annie Daisy.

So I'm playing Vanilla Brawl a bit (Project M, while really fun, feels kinda lifeless. There's no Sakurai magic in some of the stuff, and it's a bit too competitive for me) and man, I'm re-loving it.

Though it got me thinking about what I like and don't like about Brawl.

Like:
  • Basically everything except...
Dislike:
  • Tripping
  • Vertical scrolling stages (horizontal, however, I'm fine with)
  • Dragoon

• Dragoon
Know how many times I missed while I had Dragoon? A lot, yet the AI would be fucking snipers and kill everyone.

Know how many times I missed while I had Dragoon? A lot, yet the AI would be fucking snipers and kill everyone.

See, I'm good at aiming with it, but what I don't like is how it causes you to stop fighting and think about how you have to pick up all three, who has which piece and all that.

Smash Balls, there's one that you punch. I'm okay with them (plus FS's are cool) but Dragoon is too interupty. And when you see one piece, you know more are coming.

Would you settle for a Protoman Assist Trophy, which plays his whistle theme when summoned?
How about no?
Protoman should be an entirely original character, a clone with shield down b, an alternate costume for megaman, an assist trophy, a stage hazard, and a pokemon.

Reactions: juju_for_president
  • Dragoon

I mostly played the game competitively and Dragoon was my favorite item. Mostly because it was such a huge battle royale to try to collect all 3 pieces.