• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I mostly played the game competitively and Dragoon was my favorite item. Mostly because it was such a huge battle royale to try to collect all 3 pieces.

I'm sorry, I read that seven times and I'm still confused.

You played... competitively.

But... items were on.

B-but that's... you can't... paradoxical... you don't...

AUGHHHHHHHH

going_crazy.gif

Reactions: Horseman and Jutsei
Can't we have both?

I just prefer to play items off personally, not being a tourneyfag here.

So, Assist Trophy.
I don't think we want clones.
No, not an assist trophy. Realistically I want an alt costume. Wouldn't really be that difficult, it involves a lot less remodeling and new animation than male wii fit trainer does, and it's almost obligatory so... yeah.
He's not really a clone if he has a unique special. He's a half clone. Or something. Although there's certainly room for an original character too (different weapons, normals could involve his shield.) I just doubt they would actually make a half-clone so an entirely new character is WAY out there.
I feel like most straight clones should be converted to alt costumes. I think toon link might get some different specials from regular link.

I swear to God guys when we have Skullheart Smash Bros nights we're playing with Items on.
We play for fun >:T
Only pokeballs and assist trophies. High frequency.

I'm sorry, I read that seven times and I'm still confused.

You played... competitively.

But... items were on.

B-but that's... you can't... paradoxical... you don't...

AUGHHHHHHHH

going_crazy.gif

I meant I played competitively, but when items were on, my favorite one was Dragoon. :P

So I'm playing Vanilla Brawl a bit (Project M, while really fun, feels kinda lifeless. There's no Sakurai magic in some of the stuff, and it's a bit too competitive for me) and man, I'm re-loving it.

Though it got me thinking about what I like and don't like about Brawl.

Like:
  • Basically everything except...
Dislike:
  • Tripping
  • Vertical scrolling stages (horizontal, however, I'm fine with)
  • Dragoon

Like:
  • DACUS
  • Pivot Grab
  • Snapping to ledges
  • Falco
Dislike:
  • Tripping
  • Slow
  • Nonexistent hitstun makes combos nonexistent
  • Can only have 3 pokeballs active at one time
  • How easy it is to camp
  • THE WIFI IS HORRENDOUS
  • A lot of stuff :D
See, I'm hoping that Smash 4 fixes a lot of those dislikes and by the sound of what Sakurai has already said about it, half those dislike things are looking mighty possible if not already confirmed. I saw Mario do a pivot grab in a trailer so that makes me happy, and it looks like there's enough hitstun do basic combos which is better than nothing really. I mean, Rosalina made it look crazy awesome (but I'm sure they were just in tumble and didn't do anything for some of their hitstun). It's looking really good visually, and they got people who've made actual fighting games put together the whole project so I'm confident in this one :D Please god make this worth it. I'll wait however long I need to.

No matter what, I'll gladly buy both games. And with Bamco Nandai helping, those problems probably won't be there
I want this to be a game that rewards good players for having a greater understanding and handle on the characters of the game over lesser player who don't. But in a way that anyone can do it if they practice enough. For example, in Brawl, being completely defensive had a far greater payoff than being completely offensive. ROB could camp on the edge of the stage shooting lasers and spinning tops performing shield grabs at anyone that approaches. It was so easy for him to do that because everything was so slow that it favoured defensive tactics and he could comfortably sit in a corner being annoying. Anyone could be good at that and it's not all that fun.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, Melee was the opposite: It favoured offensive tactics that are up in your face. Problem was it made things a little difficult for newbie players since the more experienced players wouldn't even give them a chance to do anything. That's no fun either.

There needs to be a balance between offensive and defensive capabilities in Smash 4. Reward good defensive tactics with good projectiles and grabs, but also reward those who have a lot of offensive prowess by increasing combo potential. I mean, I'm obviously getting the game regardless of what I want, but it would make the game more fun for everyone if it allowed a basic play with newbs to be fun but also had the depth to be moderately competitive.

Reactions: Jutsei
Well he's already striking a compromise between Brawl and Melee. So that's pretty much what it's most likely to be
That is precisely what I hope it ends up being. Not just the best of both, but a combination.

Here's hoping.

I just hope they reduce landing lag by a lot this time around. Or at least make l-canceling a thing again. That would speed up the gameplay a whole bunch.

e227TGh.jpg

I was playing Vanilla Brawl yesterday, and man, this attack just felt GIRTHY. Like, holy man. Dedede's Side Smash is frickin' BEEFY. Glad it's still in, glad it's still the shit.

Also Ridley confirmed stage hazard
PwJCuoc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lavama
Smashboards must be going crazy

I'm going to go with the majority of people and say that really is just the lightning from his connected smash.

Ridley thread on smashboards is in denial

I'm just glad one of my mains was finally confirmed. Now I wait for Ness and Jiggly....and maybe gannon Just so I can up tilt and side be people to their doom. I have little hope for wolf even though he felt the more different than Falco.

And I cant wait to play as Villager and Rosalina. They seem like my type of characters.

catching someone with Dedede's Forward Smash is one of the most satisfying things in the world
everything gets wrecked

Hitting and KOing three people at once with it is honestly the closest I ever came to losing my virginity

That's a spark, dude.
If that was Ridley, it'd be much bigger.

It's NES Ridley who's as tall as Samus and purple as Barney the Dinosaur
images

Reactions: Covenant
Plus it's not very defined at all.
If that was Ridley, it'd be more spiked and jagged.
It looks like a very straight purple line.
Are you guys seriously against Ridley enough to make the smallest and blurriest thing an argument against his inclusion?

Plus it's not very defined at all.
If that was Ridley, it'd be more spiked and jagged.
It looks like a very straight purple line.
Are you guys seriously against Ridley enough to make the smallest and blurriest thing an argument against his inclusion?
Are you seriously that for Ridley that you deny any and every possible evidence for him not being playable?

Granted, I wouldn't think Sakurai would even CONSIDER taking a screenshot if Ridley was anywhere close to being onscreen. So I'm for the suggestion that it's just a spark. Plus, it seems a little too purple anyways.

Protip: If you want a good laugh, head over to Miiverse and take a look at some of the "predictions" people are talkin' about.

Cause ya know, next Nintendo Direct will confirm Green Power Ranger, Chrono from Chrono Trigger, Model ZX from Mega Man ZX and Nazo the Proto-Hedgehog from the Sonic X Pilot episode.

Protip: If you want a good laugh, head over to Miiverse and take a look at some of the "predictions" people are talkin' about.

Cause ya know, next Nintendo Direct will confirm Green Power Ranger, Chrono from Chrono Trigger, Model ZX from Mega Man ZX and Nazo the Proto-Hedgehog from the Sonic X Pilot episode.

That's why none of those people are game designers and never will be.

That's why none of those people are game designers and never will be.
PSH! Please, you know Cerea is the next character reveal.

Ya know, that Centaur girl?

Reactions: Goodbye18000
Are you seriously that for Ridley that you deny any and every possible evidence for him not being playable?
I have something interesting for you Rellek: 100% accurate photographic evidence of big foot!
i-c85f79e476e3f5f6defb8d4d2bba5a0d-bigfoot.jpeg

It's shooped.

I can tell by the pixels and having seen many shoops in my time.

Look guys, I told you Daisy's in the game. Toteslookatthat10/10theyearofDaisyiscomin'atya

Attachments

• Daisytotesinthegame2.jpg
    Daisytotesinthegame2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 191
Look guys, I told you Daisy's in the game. Toteslookatthat10/10theyearofDaisyiscomin'atya
Looks fake. Capcom said she wasn't in the game.

Looks fake. Capcom said she wasn't in the game.
Dunno know that, pal. Capcom totally said she was in it, she's just on disc DLC.

Naww man. Miia or Suu are way more likely. Much more gameplay opportunities.

Real talk dude, I'm pretty sure Goku is next on the list.
Can I start some bets? 5 dollars? 5, 10 maybe?

Pink Power ranger is most likely in Sakurai said he wanted more females

Let's get back on track, shall we gentleman?
So, items.
Any favorites?

I love the Golden Hammer

Ugh. Standard hammer is so much better.

Not too hyped for items in general, considering something was way off with Brawl's items. The only ones I really like are the Pokeball, Smash Ball, and Assist Trophy, since those wreak mass havoc. Bombs and standard hammers were okay, but everything else ranges from meh to useless.