• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

we're getting a ton of characters, plus the possibilities of secret characters, isn't that enough?
Nope. NOTHING IS EVER ENOUGH. Think of everything like dakka.

It's official, guys
Nintendo won, and beat Microsoft, Sony, and a second Sony that we didn't know about

princess peach special costume plz

tumblr_n8a51pNkk41s5wnf8o7_500.jpg

Green Mario Peach When

It's official, guys
Nintendo won, and beat Microsoft, Sony, and a second Sony that we didn't know about
>IGN
>Official
Okay sure yeah nothing wrong with this
Really, this is a popularity contest; did you need a video to tell you that nintendo has the most dedicated fan base?
I still really hate the concept of winning e3 because it's more of a nerdy flame war than anything of worth but I should probably let my extreme e3 pessimism rest until next year.

Reactions: Smilax
i was more making fun of the editing errors in the video but okay

i was more making fun of the editing errors in the video but okay
Well now the video is private so I can't even attempt to get the joke
Why are you doing this to me ruin

i feed off suffering and fried things
fried suffering just sends me off the edge
*raptor noises*

I've been trying to find an opening into this thread's discussion for a while now and I think I've found just the right opening. I'd like to offer my 2 cents on Project M. If you don't care for it then I've put it in spoilers so you don't have a wall of text to scroll through. :)
First of all, I'm going to say that I'm a casual player. As far as being competitive goes, I try really hard to beat my friends in our little party sessions and I watch matches online from time to time. I also kind of try to learn the advanced tech but that's just to look cool. :)
I prefer Project M to Brawl. I've not played Melee too much so I'm not aware of how different the speed is, or the physics, or even character balance. I like Project M for a few reasons.

1. Speed. Now, in my opinion, I like fast paced games. I do. I can totally respect your opinion if you don't particularly care for this change. It just feels so satisfying to move at those speeds.

2. Character balance. Before you raise your pitchforks, I'm just going to say that I don't know a lot about Melee or Brawl, balance wise, but I can definitely feel that there are characters in those games that aren't as rewarding to play as. Now, I'm not saying the balance in Project M is perfect, but I feel like the margin of difference in strength between the characters is a lot smaller. That means a lot more variety in matches and adds to the fact that every character feels rewarding, very fast. I also like the added and changed moves to characters like: the Pokemon characters being split, Ivysaur's solar beam mechanic, Zelda's new Din's Fire, etc.

3. Patches. The mod gets updated frequently so the meta can change, characters get changed, and sometimes new content gets added. Some people prefer having no changes made. I can understand this because you can get the hang of a character without worrying about them changing. I just prefer having changes so every character has a chance in the limelight.

4. Additional characters. I just prefer having a lot of characters because it definitely adds to the fun IMO. They already said that they won't add Smash 4 characters and I doubt that they'd add other characters outside of Smash (please correct me if I'm mistaken!). I therefore welcome the inclusion of the cut Melee characters. Roy and Mewtwo definitely feel better than ever.

5. Modding. I know this doesn't have to do with specifically Project M but changing the appearance of certain characters is so much fun. I recently added a huge pack of skins, stages, and music and bringing that to a group of friends turns that into a party.

6. Tripping. I never really had any problems while playing Brawl with tripping, but I'm totally fine with having a random feature like that removed.

I'm sure I'm missing a few things here and I'm probably wrong on a few things, but thank you anyways for taking the time to read this post!

Speaking of.
The Wii U's been found hackable/moddable.
Brace yourselves, Project M 2.0 is coming.
Because hey guess what people are still wallowing in the past.
Making new games is wallowing in the past?

Enough PM discussion. It's clear some of us have very different opinions on it, and all it does is kill hype.

Here, this will help.

More Smash 4 one on one footage. Makes me very excited for this game. Prog even said that he's sure this game will be as competitive as Melee.

Reactions: Hemijack
Pic of the day. I talked about an attack with a far reach in yesterday's post, but it didn't compare to Palutena's up smash attack!

No joke, it reaches really far. It reached so far in this shot that even the rocketbarrels got blown up.

zlCfzSI7B8Y26HEUA1

That said, if we're talking just about range, even that can't beat Palutena's power, Heavenly Light.

It has quite a damage field. However, this is a no-flinch attack, which means the opponents won't react to the damage!

zlCfzSI7CV8knOPZhQ

Reactions: musica and Hemijack
So that is upsmash, interesting.

Heavenly Light looks near useless to me, unless it does significant damage and can be safely combod in to.

Heavenly Light would be an interesting attack on more vertical stages, and in 2 on 2. One on One, unless you can stun them with a pitfall, feels kinda useless.

dat upsmash tho

edit:

oh holy shit they're beautiful
tumblr_n8cwmhMbe81r3rv36o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
One on One, unless you can stun them with a pitfall, feels kinda useless.
I wouldnt say that. It more so depends on how quickly it activates, how long it last, if she can move while it's active, and (assuming she can move when it's active) whether it stays in place or not.

I mean if she cant KO someone yet: up throw->heavenly light->upsmash
Or if someone is trying to recover she may be able to do heavenly light near the edge and still protect the edge. It'd be like constantly using Fox's laser on opponents off the edge.

I can see potential set ups and usage for it.

I wouldnt say that. It more so depends on how quickly it activates, how long it last, if she can move while it's active, and (assuming she can move when it's active) whether it stays in place or not.

Or if someone is trying to recover she may be able to do heavenly light near the edge and still protect the edge. It'd be like constantly using Fox's laser on opponents off the edge.

Exactly. It could very well be like Fox's blaster for all we know. If it has good start up and low cooldown, I can see it being used ALL THE TIME. And it's a little harder to dodge a light from straight above than it is to dodge a horizontal laser.

We need to see the recovery on it.

That's my point. We don't have enough info on it to say it's useless.
Welcome to theoryfighting, where things are banned or deemed useless before they're even played!

lil mac is only good on final destination style stages guiz.

Guys, Rosalina is so broken, she has a move that negates projectiles.
Because no other character has a move like that.
She's so broken.

Sonic is broken because he runs so fast he resets the universe like the Flash

literally 2 fast 4 us

no one wants to see the universe reformed midmatch

Wonder Red is so
Oh wait.

Dio Brando can stop time mid match and this interferes with my advanced time-out strats
plz ban

link will probably be bad in smash 4...like he is in every smash game.

link will probably be bad in smash 4...like he is in every smash game.
Unfortunately this one is near guaranteed.

Reactions: Rellek
Already true. One of Link's boomerang options is to not have the stupid gust gimmick attached to it.

But noooooooo, Gale Boomerang just had to be the default.