• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Wulf Den

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah last week's Salty had a lot of Big Band moves, emphasis on BIG.

Squigly actually did take longer than usual for a number of reasons, so yeah it's not just you.
We are probably going to see Big Band completed in less time than Squigly was done.

Last edited:
Think of it this way, by the time Beowulf is released there will have been loads of improvements to SkullGirls.
Just look at Squigly's story mode, her's is definitely the best one theatrically out of all the other characters.
Can you imagine how awesome Beowulf's story mode is going to be next summer? The same goes for his mechanics, I bet by then Lab Zero will have loads of new skills and tools to use with him.

It just makes my sad that wolf is the last one... and Robo fortune ):
At least he's getting in; let's thank our lucky stars for that. It's more than what the fans of about 30 characters can say.

Squigs is a stance character so it's understandable why she took a bit longer. On that note, I'm expecting glorious Eliza Oujo-sama to take even longer. Blood mechanics, stance, weapon AND Albus & Horace?
Ah well, being fashionably late IS a diva thing after all.

Eliza sounds definitely amazing maybe with all this new characters I will be able to do a 3 char team.

I agree Denizen, Squigly story mode kicked me right in the feels also the music new stage everything was really cool.

I just hope that the blood mechanics for Eliza stay in the character and are not replaced with sand ):

I kinda see Skullgirls not only as what it is but as a "Darkstalker" done right with other awesome elements haha.

Or is Regina secretly Irvin?
dramacat.gif
Irvin traveled with Isaac from an alternate timeline, in his parallel universe Regina was born a man.
...Not going to lie, I tried to make that sound ridiculous, but it still sounds like something that's within the range of SG canon.

Think of it this way, by the time Beowulf is released there will have been loads of improvements to SkullGirls.
Just look at Squigly's story mode, her's is definitely the best one theatrically out of all the other characters.
Can you imagine how awesome Beowulf's story mode is going to be next summer? The same goes for his mechanics, I bet by then Lab Zero will have loads of new skills and tools to use with him.
The problem with Beowulf's story mode is... What would he do?
Basically his entire motive for killing the skullgirl (as far as we know) is "violence, punching, AWESOME!!!"
I mean, that's part of why we love him, but still... From his backstory and personality and all that, they have the choice to either do a comedy oriented story mode or change his character a ton which is bound to piss someone off even if it means they can actually take him seriously now.

Well Beowulf is looking for an ultimate battle, yes, but that doesn't mean he's a terrible person. He may be going after the skullheart to act as a sort of Dragon, protecting it from the weak and impure, and protecting them from it. He's been around too, so it would make sense if he was capable enough/had the connections for something like that. From what we've made of him, Beowulf is only "Violence, Punching, Awesome!!!" when he's on-stage/in a fight, he could be a completely different person outside of the ring. (like a librarian)

OR he could be going after Marie to PROTECT New Meridian City from the wrath of the Skullgirl, like the Legendary Hero he is! Of course Beowulf is still a man so he probably still has his own selfish motives for obtaining the Skull Heart, but regardless of what they are remember that Beowulf fights For The People, both inside the ring and outside the ring.

I believe that Beowulf would go after Marie simply out of duty as a citizen of the Canopy Kingdom, as a hero of the people, and to live up to his own legend.

As for what he would do with the Skull Heart, I believe that he has darker motives...

I think Beowulf would keep the Skull Heart as treasure because boy Beowulf sure loves to keep the stuff he gets from fights. That is until ke gets killed while bringing the artifact. Or... He can get killed because he's a man wishing on the Skull Heart.

Last edited:
Pfffff........ guys it's all wrong he is gonna use the Skullheart as a new theme for his fighting days maybe as an accesory!

Talking half seriusly I believe we will get a "what if" with Big Band in his story mode, explaining what males do with the Skullheart.

If Alex Ahad plans to stay true to the Original Epic Poem Beowulf, then our Beowulf should have another 50 years before he Dies after defeating the 'Dragon'.

I'm not sure why people are having such a tough time wrapping their heads around the, "guy looking for the ultimate fight," archetype. It's like, the most used character motivation in fighting games EVER. Every fightan that I can think of has one, and Beowulf is ours.

If it ends up being more complex than that, I will be genuinely surprised.

Last edited:
I think it's because most of the other characters have more complex stories and want to assign one to Beowulf, but have no material to go off of.

If Alex Ahad plans to stay true to the Original Epic Poem Beowulf, then our Beowulf should have another 50 years before he Dies after defeating the 'Dragon'.
This fits so much better, though.
Kills grendel and mom and retires for like 5-10 years? This is such an obvious set-up.

I'm not sure why people are having such a tough time wrapping their heads around the, "guy looking for the ultimate fight," archetype. It's like, the most used character motivation in fighting games EVER. Every that I can think of has one, and Beowulf is ours.

If it ends up being more complex than that, I will be genuinely surprised.
What I don't like is when people reduce Beowulf to "Just a Guy looking for a good fight." Does everyone honestly think that Alex Ahad would stoop so low as to use the most overused fighting game character archetype for Beowulf? Especially when so much thought has already gone into his character? Beowulf is not just that archetype.
It may be his character base but that's not all there is to him. You have to look deeper than that.
I think it's because most of the other characters have more complex stories and want to assign one to Beowulf, but have no material to go off of.
I don't agree with this at all. Just because Beowulf's story doesn't intertwine with the rest of the characters doesn't mean that his story is less complex. In fact his unique situation opens up doors to make his story even more complex than most.
Just take a look at his description, unlike most of the others, Beowulf actually has a past. A past that directly influences what will happen in the present. Also we have plenty of material to go off of. We have one of the oldest literary works in the English language! Beowulf is over 1000 years old, and our Beowulf is directly inspired by it!
This fits so much better, though.
Kills grendel and mom and retires for like 5-10 years? This is such an obvious set-up.
I don't know what you're saying, are you agreeing with me? Also Alex Ahad stated that Grendel would not be killed, as for his Mother he is not so sure.

TL;DR Do NOT underestimate Beowulf.

I must agree that I don't like it when characters have very basic plot lines. Besides, aren't Lab Zero very good at making stories. I always believe in them and I hope they don't make Beowulf a boring character. As for Beowulf's story's lack of relationship with other characters, I don't think that's true. There's a big possibility that his story will intertwine with Cerebella, one of his biggest fans, or the Medicis. We'll never know until then.

I want to add that if Beowulf doesn't die in the ending, I expect that in the end of the story, he polishes the Skull Heart that he has taken and then he gets invaded by Black Dahlia who tries to take the Skull Heart. Then there's a cliff hanger.

There's also this plot thing I thought up for guys dealing with the Skull Heart. I think that Big Band should be the example of a man destroying the Skull Heart, while Beowulf should be the example of a man trying to wish on the Skull Heart. Or vice versa.

I remember this one person said that Beowulf would just keep the Skull Heart and not do anything with it. That way he would keep the world safe from people using the Skull Heart and he would also have an endless supply of challengers from people trying to take the Skull Heart.
I like that theory, it's sort of like the No. 2 Headband and Afro Samurai. Good Show.

What I don't like is when people reduce Beowulf to "Just a Guy looking for a good fight." Does everyone honestly think that Alex Ahad would stoop so low as to use the most overused fighting game character archetype for Beowulf? Especially when so much thought has already gone into his character? Beowulf is not just that archetype. It may be his character base but that's not all there is to him. You have to look deeper than that.
This. It's an overused character archetype... which is all the more reason that beowulf shouldn't adhere to it.
I'm just scared that some guy voted for him because he thought he would be a typical tough guy like Zangief or something and will get disappointed if they take his character seriously in his story mode.

I don't know what you're saying, are you agreeing with me? Also Alex Ahad stated that Grendel would not die, as for his Mother he is not so sure.

TL;DR Do NOT underestimate Beowulf.
Sorry, I can see how that could be confusing. I was disagreeing.
They're setting Beowulf up to die.
His story is already following the timeline of the Beowulf myth perfectly. It doesn't matter how long Beowulf retired for, it would completely screw up the whole thing if he retired for 5-10 years, decided to fight a while, then retire for another 50 years and got killed by a dragon. Plus, I don't think we're getting a 50 year timeskip in skullgirls anytime soon, and I trust that they won't pull some bullshit at the end of his story mode where they flash forward 50 years and show him getting killed by a dragon, so if he actually got killed by a dragon any other time it would pretty much be off-screen. Which would be stupid.
He doesn't have to die in the canon ending, but he really should die in his own ending.

If SG Beowulf's story has Grendel being alive, what more slight inaccuracies to the Beowulf epic we might see? Besides, SG Beowulf =/= Epic Beowulf, so there's a possibility that SG Beowulf doesn't die in the ending like Epic Beowulf.

If SG Beowulf's story has Grendel being alive, what more slight inaccuracies to the Beowulf epic we might see? Besides, SG Beowulf =/= Epic Beowulf, so there's a possibility that SG Beowulf doesn't die in the ending like Epic Beowulf.
What if Beowulf knows that his life is following an epic poem, and is extremely scared of dragons because of it?

I wonder if Beowulf isn't his real name and he nicknamed himself "Beowulf" based on the hero.

Well Ms. Fortune dies in Cerebella's story (and most obvious, Marie) which proves that Alex doesn't see age when it comes to killing characters, so no guarantee that Beowulf's gonna live, nor that he's gonna die.

Although to be honest I want Beowulf to die for drama, but another side of me doesn't want him to die. Such a dilemma!

Well Ms. Fortune dies in Cerebella's story (and most obvious, Marie) which proves that Alex doesn't see age when it comes to killing characters, so no guarantee that Beowulf's gonna live, nor that he's gonna die.

Although to be honest I want Beowulf to die for drama, but another side of me doesn't want him to die. Such a dilemma!
And Cerebella dies in Peacock's story, and Squigly in her own, and everyone dies in Double's. I agree, they're not squeamish about killing their characters in the non-canon story mode.

Good point. Well here's hoping that Alex doesn't kill Beowulf in the canon story mode.

I don't believe he will. If he does it will probably be the most heart-wrenching moment in SkullGirls history.

denizen said:
What I don't like is when people reduce Beowulf to "Just a Guy looking for a good fight." Does everyone honestly think that Alex Ahad would stoop so low as to use the most overused fighting game character archetype for Beowulf? Especially when so much thought has already gone into his character? Beowulf is not just that archetype.
It may be his character base but that's not all there is to him. You have to look deeper than that.
This. It's an overused character archetype... which is all the more reason that beowulf shouldn't adhere to it.
I'm just scared that some guy voted for him because he thought he would be a typical tough guy like Zangief or something and will get disappointed if they take his character seriously in his story mode.
You guys are being pessimists. I've found plenty of this character type to be enjoyable, from Mugen to Mitsurugi. Every character in this game (and in all fighting games) is just a single character archetype with some dressing to make them unique.

• Young person with a heart of gold being taken advantage of? Check.
  • Wiseacre who uses humor to hide their pain over their loss? Check.
  • Murderous kill-bot that can still somehow differentiate from right and wrong? Check?
  • Cool, calculating military type? Check.
  • Young person with amnesia being lied to about their past? Check.
And so on, and so forth. They used all these cliches and still managed to make likable, interesting characters, so why wouldn't they be able to do the same with, "looking for the ultimate challenge," guy? It's not in the base; it's in the details.

I honestly don't mind a little death, but as said above, this isn't the canon story yet. Beowulf could have a surprise fling with Squigly and I wouldn't really care. I would care if that happened in the canon though, so for now I'm alright with anything they throw at us.

Good point. Well here's hoping that Alex doesn't kill Beowulf in the canon story mode.

I don't believe he will. If he does it will probably be the most heart-wrenching moment in SkullGirls history.
I don't think he will; they seem to want to preserve most (if not all) characters for the sake of them being playable in sequels.

You guys are being pessimists. I've found plenty of this character type to be enjoyable, from Mugen to Mitsurugi. Every character in this game (and in all fighting games) is just a single character archetype with some dressing to make them unique.

• Wiseacre who uses humor to hide their pain over their loss? Check.
  • Murderous kill-bot that can still somehow differentiate from right and wrong? Check?
  • Cool, calculating military type? Check.
  • Young person with amnesia being lied to about their past? Check.
And so on, and so forth. They used all these cliches and still managed to make likable, interesting characters, so why wouldn't they be able to do the same with, "looking for the ultimate challenge," guy? It's not in the base; it's in the details.
It's not the fact that they're using an archetype, it's the fact that the archetype isn't the sort of character that gets taken seriously.
There's a lot of potential for Beowulf to have an actually dramatic story mode what with the whole "destined to die" thing, and we would rather see that than a story that boils down to funny conversation, fight, funny conversation, fight, etc.
I mean, I listed Zangief as an example of the trope and he's hands-down my favorite street fighter character. He's just not a serious character. He's a guy who doesn't wear any clothes and runs around beating the crap out of people because it helps Russia in some vague way.

Since Grendel is alive, it shows that they aren't going to follow the epic too closely. I think that when Beowulf is fighting the "Dragon" and is about to mortally wounded, Grendel could show up and save him. Because if anyone is going to kill Beo, it's gonna be Grendel.

As for the Guy just looking for a fight thing, I like that archetype. You know that they're really strong, but you also know that they aren't using they're full strength. They want a fight that pushes them to they're limit, but can't because they're too strong. Of course that's just the base of the character. They can have other things that define them. I like the idea of Beowulf being a businessman after retiring. It's like him fighting everyone... in industry! It's another challenge for him to overcome, but of a completely different nature. And he can have all kinds of quirky hobbies. I really like the idea of him being a book worm. It's not what you would expect from a character like him. I'm sure that Lab Zero will make him an interesting and incredibly fun character.

Since Grendel is alive, it shows that they aren't going to follow the epic too closely. I think that when Beowulf is fighting the "Dragon" and is about to mortally wounded, Grendel could show up and save him. Because if anyone is going to kill Beo, it's gonna be Grendel.
I was thinking this. I don't think they'll kill him off at least in this game. I get the vibe that it's taking elements from the Legend without being bound to it literally. I think there will be deviations. Grendel living, saving him in that typical "I'm the only one that gets to kill you runt!" way. They have an epic battle that lasts days and then "Beowulf" and Grendel die.....but not literally, just their identities or titles, and either one or both go their separate ways and live their life in peace.

Lab Zero's pretty clever; they know we're overanalyzing any and everything while waiting for Wulf. So, I don't think they would go the obvious route and have us be able to guess what's going to happen just because we're familiar with the legend. Just my 0.02 mixed with liberal amounts of hope. :D

Lab Zero's pretty clever; they know we're overanalyzing any and everything while waiting for Wulf. So, I don't think they would go the obvious route and have us be able to guess what's going to happen just because we're familiar with the legend. Just my 0.02 mixed with liberal amounts of hope. :D
Shakespeare was pretty clever, and he told his entire audience that Romeo and Juliet were gonna die right off the bat. Sophocles was also a pretty clever guy, and his most famous plays are about a guy who gets told at the very beginning what's going to happen to him by an oracle. Unpredictability isn't necessary for a good story.
Also, I don't think (good) writers will honestly change the plot just because their fans are analyzing it. Foreshadowing exists for a reason, it's not like they're going "OH SHIT THEY'RE ON TO US!"

@Night Phyre There is NO such thing as archetypes or clichés in SkullGirls (Slight Exaggeration). Almost everything has never been done before, especially when it comes to the characters. Those Archetypes you listed do no justice to any of those characters, they're much deeper than that. I'll say it again, the archetype may be their base, but it isn't all there is to them, far from it. Other than that I don't have much to say, Horseman covered most of it.
On an unrelated note, THIS. This is what I keep seeing and it makes me so angry.
"She has a pure heart/She's just misunderstood/She's being taken advantage of!" (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

SHE HURTS PEOPLE FOR A LIVING.
SHE'S WILLING TO KILL ON ORDER.
SHE'S AWARE OF THE MAFIA'S PLANS.

Sure she shows regret but feeling 'sorry' for what you do doesn't make it OK.

Last edited:
I'm surprised I'm apparently the first to suggest that in fact Marie could be the metaphorical dragon in this story.

Well Muro there was an idea Alex had for a more "dragon" themed character, his name is George. Thus I believe that character may appear in Beo's storyline as a larger, shaded out silhouette. Beowulf could have the Skullheart as a little buddy to talk to, sort of like Bob from The Dresden Files.

I'm surprised I'm apparently the first to suggest that in fact Marie could be the metaphorical dragon in this story.
That used to be my theory but two things stomped it.
1. Epic Beowulf fought his Dragon in old age.
2. There's actually a dragon themed character in the SkullGirls Digital Sketchbook whom I see as the real Dragon.

Only Contributors and above got the Sketchbook so could someone else post it?

Last edited:
On an unrelated note, THIS. This is what I keep seeing and it makes me so angry.
"She has a pure heart/She's just misunderstood/She's being taken advantage of!" (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

SHE HURTS PEOPLE FOR A LIVING.
SHE'S WILLING TO KILL ON ORDER.
SHE'S AWARE OF THE MAFIA'S PLANS.

Sure she shows regret but feeling 'sorry' for what you do doesn't make it OK.
If you step into the parallel universe where people play Skullguys, in Cereballer's ending the Skullliver declares him the most rotten being in existence and once Cereballer makes his wish, he turns to Skullguy instantly.
Also, the fanbase unanimously thinks Cereballer is the biggest asshole in the game, even more than the shape-shifting priest and the samurai doctor.
Poor Cereballer, if only he had boobies people could see the good in him... #NoSuchThingAsDoubleStandards

Beowulf story discussion
Just as long as he piledrives Angelina Jolie, I'm okay with whatever they do.

Well Muro there was an idea Alex had for a more "dragon" themed character, his name is George. Thus I believe that character may appear in Beo's storyline as a larger, shaded out silhouette.
226665-SkullgirlsReview-t.jpg

Who would have known that behind that emotionless 8... was the heart of a cold-blooded killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back