• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Wulf Den

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I see a Beowulf update
GZUKvFD.gif
You used the original gif and not one of the crappy ones commandeered by the gaming section of neogaf....I'm so happy.

Let me make my stance clear.
Listen carefully, when Beowulf pulls out Grendel's Arm I see nothing wrong. It's fitting for his story and it's animated in such a way that it isn't visually jarring. He turns around and pulls it out from behind him, like he's been keeping it somewhere secret. Also It isn't one object out of twenty, it is the object alongside The Hurting and a microphone, which is small enough so that Hammer Space doesn't have to be used as an excuse. The trash can is unnecessary, but it's not pushing things over the edge. This is the key to good use of Hammer Space, limit the amount of objects used, limit the size of those objects, and make them appear in a aesthetically smooth and believable fashion.
So far Beowulf accomplishes all of this very well.

Valentine however looks ridiculous, almost every one of her moves involves pulling some piece of hospital equipment out of thin air. Dead on Arrival is the worst because she basically teleports an entire operating room onto the stage, complete with lighting fixtures. I really hope Lab Zero doesn't go this route with a wrestling ring.

Finally The Hurting is not a prop, it's a tool. It's a weapon and in no way is it the center of attention.
Beowulf is still Beowulf, he isn't the weapons that he uses, not like Chris Redfield. If he gets too many objects in his moves then I'll feel like I'm playing as a pro wrestling itself, and not as the character I voted for.

Let me make my stance clear.
Listen carefully, when Beowulf pulls out Grendel's Arm I see nothing wrong. It's fitting for his story and it's animated in such a way that it isn't visually unappealing. He turns around and pulls it out from behind him, like he's been keeping it somewhere secret. Also It isn't one object out of twenty, it is the object alongside The Hurting and a microphone, which is small enough that Hammer Space doesn't have to be used as an excuse. The trashcan is unnecessary, but it's not pushing things over the edge. This is the key to good use of Hammer Space, limit the amount of objects used, limit the size of those objects, and make them appear in a aesthetically smooth and believable fashion. So far Beowulf accomplishes all of this very well.

Valentine however looks ridiculous, almost every one of her moves involves pulling some piece of hospital equipment out of thin air. Dead on Arrival is the worst because she basically teleports an entire operating room onto the stage, complete with lighting fixtures. I really hope Lab Zero doesn't go this route with a wrestling ring.

Finally The Hurting is not a prop, it's a tool. It's a weapon and in no way is it the center of attention.
Beowulf is Beowulf, he isn't the weapons that he uses, not like Chris Redfield.

I see all this as picking and choosing based off of subjective opinion. First hammer space..then suddenly there are exceptions based off of small items and yet...the bits he does have are totally comparable to stuff Valentine has. He still pulls out at least 4 items and that may increase over time. He might not create an entire operating room but Grendel's arm isn't exactly small either and neither is said trashcan. A Val fan could literally make the same argument if they so chose.

And if the last paragraph were true we wouldn't even be having this conversation at all. Everything he is using is a tool.

Last edited:
I see all this as picking and choosing based off of subjective opinion. First hammer space..then suddenly there are exceptions based off of small items and yet...the bits he does have are totally comparable to stuff Valentine has. He still pulls out at least 4 items and that may increase over time. He might not create an entire operating room but Grendel's arm isn't exactly small either and neither is said trashcan.

And if the last paragraph were true we wouldn't even be having this conversation at all.
Or mabe Beowulf just has that handy dandy little magical pocket things that Link has in the Legend of Zelda Cartoon.

I see all this as picking and choosing based off of subjective opinion.

He still pulls out at least 4 items and that may increase over time.
We both obviously want different things out of this character.
I want Beowulf, you want Pro Wrestling. I believe that we're going to get more of the former, but if you want to expect otherwise then be my guest. It's not like it's going to change the outcome.

I don't get how "test your might" implies pro wrestling. I mean it would certainly be neat if he had more wrestling moves imo but I'm not terribly broken up about him not. He's looking fine as is. He actually has a pretty good amount to boot..and that actually wasn't even what we were debating about like at all. It's not a wrestling move it's a test your strength game from a circus.

He'll ultimately play like Lab Zero wants him to...and not an amalgamation of opinions coming out of the wulf den. You are totally right about the outcome there.

We are however, debating about how much hammer space is acceptable..which idk Lab Zero had quite a few concepts that involve foreign objects and it totally could go either way...cause neither of us make money working for lab zero nor are we deciding what ends up in the game. I am simply making my stand based off of official quotes regarding things being legal outside the ring. It could very well go either way.

Also I'm not trying to be an asshole when I discuss these things. So apologies if it comes off poorly. I simply have my opinions and biases...and occasional moments of objectivity like anyone else.

Last edited:
It's not a wrestling move it's a test your strength game from a circus.
Even more reason why I don't expect it to be in game.
We are however, debating about how much hammer space is acceptable... which idk Lab Zero had quite a few concepts that involved foreign objects and it totally could go either way
In case everyone forgot here is the post with most of Beowulf's concept art.
Notice, most of these pieces depict Beowulf using actual moves rather than foreign objects pulled out of his butt.
I am simply making my stand based off of official quotes regarding things being legal outside the ring.
My stand is based on what we've already seen, what actually exists.
If he were really going to be another Valentine then we would have seen that already.

In a canon fight...idk. I think it'd be about even personally.

Even more reason why I don't expect it to be in game.

In case everyone forgot here is the post with most of Beowulf's concept art.
Notice, most of these pieces depict Beowulf using actual moves rather than foreign objects pulled out of his butt.

My stand is based on what we've already seen, what actually exists.
If he were really going to be another Valentine then we would have seen that already.

Use of strings, a championship belt, test your strength, ladders, grendel arms, trashcans, mics, and the original version of the character using a sword. And last but not least his chair. Pot calling kettle black.

Agree to disagree.

No offense denizen but it sounds like you want beo to be boring

Ooh btw my brother wants to know who would win in a fight. Beo or black dahlia

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Use of strings, test your strength, ladders, grendel arms, trashcans, mics, and the original version of the character used a sword. And last but not least his chair.
Your point is? You seem to think I consider that too much object use in his concept art. Compared to the amount of non object focused art it's like 10/100, which isn't a lot. Also where did you get the idea that I don't like his use of The Hurting? It doesn't even use hammer Space.

I think you're still incredibly confused about what I want, I don't know how to make it any more clear for you.
No offense denizen but it sounds like you want beo to be boring
You don't need an excessive amount of toys existing in a pocket dimension to be cool, that's all I'm saying.
In fact it makes you look stupid, like Valentine.

Last edited:
I have a question. Do you guys think beo could beat black dahlia?

Hard to say without the later being playable to any extent. You could argue B.Dahlia since she has a grenade launcher strapped to her arm but people might say that Beowulf could just deflect shots with the hurting.

That's a question that could lead to a lot of possible answers but nothing concrete.

My point was more so..that he's using items period. So what do yet more items matter. Even if it's stupid, all those concepts I'm pointing out exist. They aren't something I made up for the sake of winning some stupid argument on the internet. One more isn't going to ruin the character...and honestly if lab zero deemed a concept fitting...then visa vis it fits the character. Period.

And I'm not even going to attempt to talk down to you..because you obviously want to take the piss out of me over a difference of an opinion...and I'm not five years old..so I will restrain myself from rising to said bait because I have better things to do than waste effort on internet drama. Like condescension only matters when someone is right. Here it is still yet too early.

Last edited:
But it made since for valentine to have those weapons because SHES A NINJA FREAKIN' NURSE

Its alright to give characters weapons like that as long as it fits their character. The garbage can for beowulf fits him perfectly because hes a wrestler

I think the Hammer Space has been a part of fighting games for a long time. so i don't mind if a Strong Man Game comes up from the ground right underneath the Hurting so Beo can launch the opponent into Space.

Agreed. I never thought of the hyperspace type moves as being literal (i.e. an anime adaptation wouldn't have them pulling things out of nowhere, if it's Grendel's arm, it would be slung on a turnbuckle in the scene, or he'd pull it from under the ring early in the fight, MvC Jill would have weapons strapped to her or nearby for grabbing)

reminder that you can edit posts so that you dont need to double post

I'm fine with him using items, as long as it's not as dense and retarded looking as Valentine.
What he has now is very good, and I don't expect more because I think that Lab Zero is smart enough not to do that. What I expect are more feats of strength and agility. I expect more Beowulf, not more garbage.

How many times am I gonna have to repeat the same thing?

I would like more garbage please.

Beowulf is srs bsns guys.

Don't forget about ninja magic.

I feel like Hubrecht was gonna be the "nothin' but fists" dude
If I remember correctly, it was said from the start that Beo would use "souvenirs from past victories" anyway

http://skullgirls.wikia.com/wiki/Beowulf

"In addition to standard pro-wrestling moves like dropkicks and powerbombs, souvenirs from past victories may aid him in battle - after all, it’s only illegal if there’s a referee."

because subjective opinion man.

Wait what was wrong with valentines weapons.
I'm not gonna waste my time explaining it again, just read my first post on this page.

I want a Lv5 super where Beowulf smash his opponent with so much strenght that the chair breaks and you can't use it again.

But it is bit dumb because you can find chairs everywhere

At least the hurting can teleport.

If I remember correctly, it was said from the start that Beo would use "spoils from past victories" anyway
He's got his spoils, he doesn't need more. That's my whole point, can I rest my case now?
Well i actually did read but i mean i kinda find it weird that you hate it
My aesthetic dislike of Valentine is better suited for another thread.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
actually yeah...now that you mention it...who is voicing wulf-san?

actually yeah...now that you mention it...who is voicing wulf-san?
I wished upon a star that it would be hulk hogan.

As great as that would be...not enough money.

He's got his spoils, he doesn't need more. That's my whole point, can I rest my case now?

My aesthitic dislike of Valentine is better suited for another thread.

Yeah I get ya
Well like you said, regardless of whatever we say in here, Word Of Mike is (usually) final, so we'll see

Throwing around a bunch of toys and weapons from out of nowhere like he's Batman would take away from that.

But the Batman palette tho

Status
Not open for further replies.