• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Them's Fightin' Herds

I've been silently making my own character for the game so I went ahead and pitched $500 so I can get them as at least a sprite in the lobby (1k for OC in background is too steep for me). I'll probably be using my custom Palette to reference my OC too as soon as I decide what colors to actually use for the guy, lol.

Reactions: Era
Well, looks like this actually doesn´t supported by the MLP scene (?) I was really tought that will be funded on day 1.

Obviously the best horse is Spike
8efbV9c.png

Reactions: Era
Well, looks like this actually doesn´t supported by the MLP scene (?) I was really tought that will be funded on day 1.

You say that as if MLP scene actually has or spends money like that.

You say that as if MLP scene actually has or spends money like that.
I mean, part of the reason the Skullgirls crowdfunding effort succeeded is because of MLP fans donating for the stretch goal of giving the Z Engine to the Fighting is Magic people, which was like at the $725,000 mark or something iirc? So they have money. Or they had money, maybe they spent it all on that, haha.

Many people in the MLP scene have supported this. Remember that >$100K in one day is a LOT of money. But $400K is a ton of money as well. So much so that it actually makes me slightly nervous as to whether or not this goal will be met.

That being said, this is where we get to the hard part. Within the next few days most of the people who saved money in advance and planned to donate already will have done so. Hence the huge influx at the start. Now there will be trickles of money here and there from people just getting word of the project.

I predict a few funding spikes in the near future:

- Beginning of October, for the "I'll donate once I get my paycheck next month" people
- Steam Greenlight success, for the "I'll donate once they've announced the tiers for alpha and beta access" people
- Announcement of the 6th character for the "Okay, I want to f*ckin main a FLYING CHINESE DRAGON-HORSE because it's DOPE" people
- Announcement of stretch goals for the "6 characters are too few" people

Except for those spikes, it WILL be slow-going through the middle of this campaign, followed by a huge burst of funding during the final week/day. This is why I'm not too comfortable with the idea of withholding info about stretch goals "until the initial goal has been met". At this rate, I predict that the final funding surge will be used to secure the initial funding goal only. If you wait until then to reveal the stretch goals... you risk not having enough time to fund any of them, and may actually risk falling short of the initial goal as well.

Not every MLP fan is supporting this because it's not ponies after looking around. It's mainly Laura fans + people legitimately interested in the fighting game + some bronies that don't mind it's not ponies. They did get past 100k in under 24 hours so as long as the campaign does not completely flatline in the middle portion and crawl to reach over 300k in the next 27-28 days before the last push then they should be fine to at least make initial goal if their last push is at least the equivalent of their first day push. Currently they are 24% funded.

Reactions: Wenzel

Keep in mind that all of the reasonably affordable backer tiers with exclusive goods went out of stock real fast, so most people are then contempt with just doing $15 increments or so. Really hope they work in more of those tier rewards, cause I'm more than sure that people would toss a lot of money if the options were there.

I mean, part of the reason the Skullgirls crowdfunding effort succeeded is because of MLP fans donating for the stretch goal of giving the Z Engine to the Fighting is Magic people, which was like at the $725,000 mark or something iirc? So they have money. Or they had money, maybe they spent it all on that, haha.

Peanuts, trust me when I say that bronies literally never run out of money.

They really need more backer rewards. All of the tiers between $200 and $1000 are sold out, and physical versions of the game and soundtrack are pretty useless. Contact eightysixed and get some t-shirts and posters going. Miniature figures and plushies would be an enormous hit, though manufacturing overhead might make that impossible.

Reactions: dead and erkicman
Well, according to google, both the MLP brand and brony subculture have been in decline since their high point at the end of 2013. Not drastically, mind you, but still noticeably. If it's like any other trend, though, then we're right at that point of contraction where the consumers active in this trend will start to be more discerning about their expenditures.

tl;dr if it ain't actually MLP, fans are less likely to put money on it

Well, according to google, both the MLP brand and brony subculture have been in decline since their high point at the end of 2013. Not drastically, mind you, but still noticeably. If it's like any other trend, though, then we're right at that point of contraction where the consumers active in this trend will start to be more discerning about their expenditures.

tl;dr if it ain't actually MLP, fans are less likely to put money on it
Then again even those who aren't into MLP anymore (me and many others) are still a huge fan of Lauren Faust's work so hopefully that is plenty of driving force for a fanbase...

Well, according to google, both the MLP brand and brony subculture have been in decline since their high point at the end of 2013.

Considering that Season 4 ended in early 2014 and Season 5 didn't come around till a year later in April 2015, 2014 being an absent year makes sense cause there wasn't much new MLP stuff around (there was the Spin off movie, Rainbow Rocks, in late summer 2014 but most people [Hasbro Included] associate it with the Equestria Girls Brand so it was most likely not factored in Google search results). You can see results spike back up right around when Season 5 started, and dips again when Season 5 went on hiatus during the summer (which apparently is said to not be a great time for shows, at the very least MLP avoided it in the past).

You also should maybe consider Bronycon/other MLP conventions continuing to get bigger and bigger numbers each year, and from the year 2014 Hasbro's sales of Girl toy products rose from an already growing trend from the past several years (not specifically listed for MLP but MLP is always cited as continuously growing in this section). TV Ratings for Season 5 have been erratic and lower than other seasons, but most everyone cites the changeover to the new network (Discovery Family) which has had relatively poor marketing compared to the older network (The Hub).

tl;dr - MLP brand/Brony interest isn't actually declining that much and is most likely still growing. They just aren't ALL donating to TFH because...it's not MLP and they don't all like fighting games? *shrug*

I hope it's a Chirin, I said that shit like 4 pages ago, although that was my guess for the unicorn. Let's my powers of seeing into the minds of developers pay off!

Reactions: erkicman
They really need more backer rewards. All of the tiers between $200 and $1000 are sold out, and physical versions of the game and soundtrack are pretty useless. Contact eightysixed and get some t-shirts and posters going. Miniature figures and plushies would be an enormous hit, though manufacturing overhead might make that impossible.
Basically, if every remaining limited tier sold out now, it would only(!) add $35,500 to the fund. That's not even gonna get them to 50% from here. They're gonna have a lot of trouble getting to the goal at that rate.

Basically, if every remaining limited tier sold out now, it would only(!) add $35,500 to the fund. That's not even gonna get them to 50% from here. They're gonna have a lot of trouble getting to the goal at that rate.
How does this sort of thing happen, shouldn't they do math or something before they start the crowdfunding

How does this sort of thing happen, shouldn't they do math or something before they start the crowdfunding
CF campaigns succeed based on the under-$100 tiers, not the high rollers. They need more regular contibuters.

Maybe the demand simply doesn't exist for a new sorta-kinda-brony IP. I do expect there to be a last minute panic-push to get this funded, though, if it hasn't by then.

Reactions: Wenzel and erkicman

I think if they want to entice people to donate more, they should start hinting at new characters, that COULD be added to the game like it was for Skullgirls. It is true, that they don't have much to offer as of right now.

Reactions: dead
I'm a bit concerned for this. Every crowd fund that's caught my attention has gotten funded almost immediately, ala SG, Mighty9, Shenmue, Shantae ect. So for now I'm feeling a bit of anxiety. Their goal is pretty huge, I mean I was expecting them to ask for about 250k. The first day went great, but now it's a slow trickle, but I suppose if it stays consistent they'll be fine. What I don't understand is why the Horned Guru, and Houshan Captain tiers were so limited.

Why not make a stage you can cram a bunch of background characters in, and rotate them out as needed? I think a lot of people would have been willing to pay for those two tiers, but they went with just 8 slots. I hate to be a pessimist but is the demand there to achieve 436k? The MLP community can't be relied on, since so many of them no longer care now that it doesn't have the pony paint on it.

Reactions: dead
I'm a bit concerned for this. Every crowd fund that's caught my attention has gotten funded almost immediately, ala SG, Mighty9, Shenmue, Shantae ect. So for now I'm feeling a bit of anxiety. Their goal is pretty huge, I mean I was expecting them to ask for about 250k. The first day went great, but now it's a slow trickle, but I suppose if it stays consistent they'll be fine. What I don't understand is why the Horned Guru, and Houshan Captain tiers were so limited.

Why not make a stage you can cram a bunch of background characters in, and rotate them out as needed? I think a lot of people would have been willing to pay for those two tiers, but they went with just 8 slots. I hate to be a pessimist but is the demand there to achieve 436k? The MLP community can't be relied on, since so many of them no longer care now that it doesn't have the pony paint on it.

To be fair, the crowdfunds you've mentioned all had reeeeeally gigantic fanbases from all around, so them shooting up to their goal super quick wasn't too surprising. (Also, looking at the non-SG titles, their amounts were about the same or much larger than what TFH is asking for)

Also, yes, things have slowed down, but it's only day 2 of the campaign and they've already passed 25% of their goal. Not only that, but $15+ donations are still consistently rolling in.

Granted, I do agree with the question of why limit the moderately expensive tiers like they did. Them selling out so fast should indicate that they can afford to expand some more on the options, and I feel them adding more options in-between tiers would do them well in the long run. As things stand, people have a choice of only donating a couple dollars or thousands.

Basically, this is only day 2 and things are still looking good. I'd like to assume that there's a plan if things stop dead in their tracks at some point, but only time will tell in that regard. Most we can do is just wait and see what happens next.

They are still going at a fine pace. Getting over 100k [roughly 1/4th the goal] in the first day was key which got them some breathing room. If they had reached over 200k then it would have guaranteed they would have made at least the initial goal even if the next 20+ days were terrible assuming the last day matches or even exceeds the first day like most crowdfundings.

As of now they have over 114k with 2k+ backers for a 26% complete goal with 28-29 days remaining. While the 2nd day naturally is slower then the first, it's still at a fast enough pace that they are gonna go over 10k every 24 hours. Assuming they can maintain that average of at least 10k for the next 28 days they will be at roughly 394k [probably a bit more since the 2nd day is not over yet]. With the goal being 436k the last final day push should easily push them past that goal. Thing is though I'm not sure stretch goals are gonna be a realistic option however depending on what they are and how spread out they will be.

Like someone else said, high tier stretch goals are nice for those sudden big spikes but they pale to the comparison to the big picture where there are gonna be a ton more backers at the lower tiers. Skullgirls IGG was the same way. That said they should consider finding a way to eventually resupply those tiers since it's always nice to have more backer options. They did add a $90 digital only tier which will be unlimited which so far nearly two dozen people are in so that did something.

They should have put stretch goals on the page. A lot of people want console ports and they didn't mention them at all. It's important that people know what's possible. If someone doesn't have a PC but they have a PS4, they likely won't contribute. But if they see that PS4 is a stretch goal, their incentive for contributing increases a lot. The same goes for additional characters. Someone might not think 6 characters is enough but if they see the possibility of 8-10, they might contribute.

It's especially important because the campaign might only get one chance to be featured in gaming media. Let's say the campaign gets an article on Kotaku. A lot of people who weren't following the game would see it for the first time. They might not be interested when they see it's only for PC and it only has 6 characters. They might add the stretch goals that would interest them a 2 weeks from now but Kotaku might not do a second story. They could miss a lot of potential contributors. They might only have one opportunity to get people to at least follow the campaign. Seeing those possibilities could be the difference between someone writing it off and someone adding it to their bookmarks.

They also should increase the number of perks available. All of the perks you get for giving between $250 and $1000 are already taken. There's no reason to give anything more than $200 right now unless you're giving more than $1500. That's a huge range where you don't get anything extra.

I really want this game to succeed. FiM was a really fun game even though it was rough.

They should have put stretch goals on the page. A lot of people want console ports and they didn't mention them at all. It's important that people know what's possible. If someone doesn't have a PC but they have a PS4, they likely won't contribute. But if they see that PS4 is a stretch goal, their incentive for contributing increases a lot. The same goes for additional characters. Someone might not think 6 characters is enough but if they see the possibility of 8-10, they might contribute.

It's especially important because the campaign might only get one chance to be featured in gaming media. Let's say the campaign gets an article on Kotaku. A lot of people who weren't following the game would see it for the first time. They might not be interested when they see it's only for PC and it only has 6 characters. They might add the stretch goals that would interest them a 2 weeks from now but Kotaku might not do a second story. They could miss a lot of potential contributors. They might only have one opportunity to get people to at least follow the campaign. Seeing those possibilities could be the difference between someone writing it off and someone adding it to their bookmarks.

They also should increase the number of perks available. All of the perks you get for giving between $250 and $1000 are already taken. There's no reason to give anything more than $200 right now unless you're giving more than $1500. That's a huge range where you don't get anything extra.

I really want this game to succeed. FiM was a really fun game even though it was rough.

this

I don't know anythin about mlp aside from the fact that there a character named Rainbow dash (no idea what she looks like but I assume she has a rainbow motif), however I've been watching them sense Fighting is Magic and I've been reading their blog and whatnot. I've been interested in this game for a while and I hope it gets funded. Unfortunately I cant help due to life being life, but I'll continue to keep my eye on this.

Also, I actually really like the main theme. It's not breath taking or anything, but it fits my taste.

Last edited:
bwqgmng62xncbaa0zsyt.png

r1s0lj9la7opm3b87xs6.png

Gameplay: Tianhuo, Captain of the Imperial Guard strikes from above, below and all around! Flexible, aerodynamic, and explosive, she is a real firecracker!

Flight-based attacks keep your opponent’s head in the clouds! Cancel any and all of your attacks into her Firecracker Magic attack to overwhelm your opponents, or use it to move quickly across the stage.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
MrzuJxB.png

Reactions: fenster
The Empire’s subjects are Longmas, a very proud race who are half horse, half dragon.
This sure puts all of those Spike+EveryoneElse ships into perspective.

Reactions: Chip Blaster
They get money when people get money; Most of the initial burst is people knowing the crowdfunding was happening and prepared in advance

People get money from crowdfunding during the timeline of it.

I definitely dig Tianhuo, but I would dig more of it if I saw any gameplay what-so-ever*.

I kind of wish they teased us with more gameplay relevant things but that's because that's what i'm in it for, and I'm sure they'll do it later in the campaign..?

$127.5K out of $~495 in only 2 or 3 days? Wow good stuff.

Even for a unknow company, Mane6 has the backup of a famous Lauren Faust to helps the crownfunding, and is a very good thing. A lot of people dont helps unknow indie groups because the fear of the game is not delivered, but a famous backup can minimize this problem :D

The slowdown is definitely nerve wracking, but it was also expected. As someone pointed out, 100k is no small feat, but 420k is no small amount of money either. If growth is constant, I think the game will be fine, but I have a feeling it will come down to the wire. Just hope it doesn't stagnate.

Reactions: Cheesedragon
Yeah in the grand scheme of things 30% in 2 days is not too shabby. It's slowed down quite a bit for now, but if it keeps at the rate it's going now, not to mention the surge of backers that are bound come out of the woodwork once the campaign reaches its final days, I think it will have no trouble reaching its goal.

will it have team battles or is it strictly 1v1 character composition? always was a big fan of the marvel type fighters that have assists teams and whatnot so im curious