• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Webtoon thread

ok yeah, Marie is a little bit off right i noticed that too marie personality seems to take a whole different turn when it involves the medici its like she gets 100% triggered whe it comes to them in the webtoon
marie 1.png

• Haha
Reactions: BallotBoxer
Marie and Peacock not instantly recognizing each other is fine. Both have been separated by several months and have changed drastically. They probably thought each other were dead. Especially if the story ideas seen in that Kuroirozuki interview with Alex is used in Marie's story mode (i.e. that shotgun detail).

The Life Gem - carved to have a decorative face, or something like a Living Weapon, an object made from theon (parasite) material/remains? Kind of like an inert Skull Heart. Maybe it is like a parasite and wants to merge with a host, somehow compelled Fortune to swallow it? Ferals are something else. Pick up a baseball, hell, pick up a golf ball. Now imagine swallowing it. Impossible!

Reactions: Holy Goose
Marie and Peacock not instantly recognizing each other is fine. Both have been separated by several months and have changed drastically. They probably thought each other were dead. Especially if the story ideas seen in that Kuroirozuki interview with Alex is used in Marie's story mode (i.e. that shotgun detail).
Marie not immediately recognising Peacock as Patricia definitely makes sense, although I don't think Marie has changed that much lol. I mean, she has the same haircut and wears practically the same maid outfit as she always did. But yeah I guess that's it's more for dramatic effect and Peacock maybe did not get as close to Marie as some panels made it look.

The Life Gem - carved to have a decorative face, or something like a Living Weapon, an object made from theon (parasite) material/remains?
I don't think the Life Gem is carved to have a face, it's just what it naturally looks like. After the Gem gets recreated from Fortune's corpse, it still has a face.

Kind of like an inert Skull Heart. Maybe it is like a parasite and wants to merge with a host, somehow compelled Fortune to swallow it?
The Gem compelling Ms. Fortune to swallow it is definitely an interesting theory. I think it's more simply that she was enamoured with the Gem in that frame, but it certainly could be seen as her falling under some spell. Could have some important implications on the nature and origin of the Life Gem.

Ferals are something else. Pick up a baseball, hell, pick up a golf ball. Now imagine swallowing it. Impossible!
It feels almost like it's drawn bigger than it should be in some frames lol. Like, Lorenzo keeps it under his shirt on a necklace, but we never see a significant bulge in his shirt while he has it on. Like other things in the SG universe I guess it can grow and shrink as the plot demands. :P

That's fair; as someone with works on "building stuff to post on time" hiatus myself, giving any ETA is asking for even more delays lol

View attachment 17071

So... I guess that means 2 Weeks more.
There I am, Gary! There I am!

In any case, I'm glad we have some info about the webtoon. And that it's still being worked on. I'm hoping we get to see more on it soon. Maybe after Marie comes out? Idk.

I've been surprised the comic has gone as long as it has, tho i havent read webtoons previously.

Makes sense to stock up on weeks to me.

Thank god, I thought the comic was toast cause of all that censorship BS.

Previously on Skullgirls x Webtoon:
State of the Game announcement says "Maybe September?"
Now it is looking like November or beyond. Which is fine with me. I'd rather they take their time.

Really, I just wanted an excuse to post this:

And talk about the Life Gem. Why/how did Nadia swallow the Life Gem? In the game, it is huge!
LifeGem-cerebella.jpg
Did it go from plum to pineapple size because Cerebella hyper compacted the Life Gem with Ms. Fortune? Maybe the Life Gem diminished in size as Lorenzo Medici leeched its power over the decades. Perhaps shrunk to necklace pendant size. Leads one to think the Life Gem is like a Philosophers' Stone, fueled by the blood/life sacrifice of others.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
And talk about the Life Gem. Why/how did Nadia swallow the Life Gem? In the game, it is huge!
Not in Dahlia's story mode, apparently...

Did it go from plum to pineapple size because Cerebella hyper compacted the Life Gem with Ms. Fortune?
Or, maybe, Robo-Fortune's compactor is better at its purpose than Cerebella's Living Weapon.

Maybe the Life Gem diminished in size as Lorenzo Medici leeched its power over the decades. Perhaps shrunk to necklace pendant size. Leads one to think the Life Gem is like a Philosophers' Stone, fueled by the blood/life sacrifice of others.
I do like this idea. Not sure if it's canon, but like it nonetheless.

Now it is looking like November or beyond.
Two weeks!

I think the reason for her swallowing it is pretty straightforward. She thought it was a valuable gem and since she thought they might get caught, hiding it inside her body seemed like a good idea, and she probably thought once she had escaped she could have retrieved it later once it... well... passed through her body.

Having said that, in the Webtoon the panel before she swallowed it showed her being, fascinated, almost hypnotised by the Gem. Maybe there was some sort of magical effect that compelled her to take it, or maybe even swallow it?

Did it go from plum to pineapple size because Cerebella hyper compacted the Life Gem with Ms. Fortune? Maybe the Life Gem diminished in size as Lorenzo Medici leeched its power over the decades. Perhaps shrunk to necklace pendant size. Leads one to think the Life Gem is like a Philosophers' Stone, fueled by the blood/life sacrifice of others.
Yeah, I think it's the case of the former - it's larger than it used to be because the rest of Ms. Fortune was compacted along with it.

But yeah I think the differences in size, especially between Bella and Dahlia's stories, are just a matter of art inconsistency mostly. Even before Nadia took it, the size is a bit inconsistent. When we see it hanging on Lorenzo's necklace, or after Fortune took it, it's quite a substantial gem. But when it's under Lorenzo's shirt, we don't see any bulge from it at all.

Two weeks have passed.

The new chapter is out.

We finally got to see an important part of Ms. Fortune's backstory.

Webtoon's canon says that Cerebella and Eliza were present during the event. I wonder how different it would be in SGM's Origin Story (if that would happen, of course).

Two weeks have passed.
I think this might have actually been the longest Two Weeks in SG history.

Webtoon's canon says that Cerebella and Eliza were present during the event. I wonder how different it would be in SGM's Origin Story (if that would happen, of course).
Yeah I think it's been established in 2E stories that neither of them were present at Fortune's slaying, with Cerebella only having been told of it by Vitale after Dahlia was already done with her, and Eliza wasn't even told of the Life Gem in her story and only found out when Bella blabbed about it. I think the start of 2E stories are based on established canon, so they should be more reliable than the Webtoon, but there's always the possibility of retcons so who knows.

But honestly the most exciting thing about this chapter is THE RIVER KING FINALLY MAKES HIS APPEARANCE. It's always been a question in my mind that, while Fortune did absorb the Life Gem, how did she even figure out how to use it while lying in pieces at the bottom of the river and managed to put herself back together. Makes sense that she got a helping hand.

I think this might have actually been the longest Two Weeks in SG history.
Let's hope it would stay that way :PUN:
Heck, using this picture in these circumstances is surely weird.

I think the start of 2E stories are based on established canon, so they should be more reliable than the Webtoon, but there's always the possibility of retcons so who knows.
I don't think they would retcon it.
They did not retcon Filia's story, for example.

But honestly the most exciting thing about this chapter is
I had no idea it was him. Now I have to read it again. Makes sense.

I don't think they would retcon it.
They did not retcon Filia's story, for example.
Yeah I think the way it currently is is better. There are some weird events and characterisations in the Webtoon which I'm not super onboard with like Dahlia being so meek with Lorenzo.

I had no idea it was him. Now I have to read it again. Makes sense.
Yeah it's super interesting.

Also, I have actually paid for the Fast Pass and went and read all the available chapters up to Chapter 23. Quite a few interesting stuff happening and being set up, including potential answers to certain questions we have had for a long time. But since it's not widely available yet I'll probably wait a bit for the chapters to be released for free first before discussing them. Apparently they will be made free weekly over the next 3 weeks.

Ohh this return was spicy. With how Webtoons handles censorship I thought it was going to be a bunch of stylized shots but no, they just up and show what happened with Nadia, huh (probably because licensed series can do more)

I feel like Peacock was only briefly teamed up to show the information that the two are friends and it's a little too obvious, but eh, small concessions when this series is introducing it to a new audience/audience that didn't play the og story modes.

Another episode. No River King this time, but we'll see a picture of his daughter. Poor girl.

There's also Marie and Double, turned into the cat meme. I never thought I'll see this.
I suppose, we'll see the Lab 8 massacre soon enough.
I have reservations about the way Marie is written in the Webtoon. Well, maybe, in this continuity she's starting to lose herself to the Skull Heart much earlier.

Apparently, there's also an event that starts Eliza's in-game story mode. I wonder how it is going to play out here.

It was nice to see Parasoul and the Egrets, too. Big Band was a one-panel-wonder. Apparently, Big Band would have another reason to be away from the Lab, and it's kind of sad.

Also, it was nice to see an Annie plushie in this chapter. I hope the real one will make an appearance soon.

All caught up to Issue 22 but I wanted to note a couple fumbles in Issue 21:

Establishing shot is the destroyed city somewhere in No Man's Land with comically wide streets, first seen in Episode 0. This church is where Marie first meets Double and is given the chance to become the Skullgirl. Why the heck is it her base in the present? Are Double, Valentine, and Marie really traveling outside of the Canopy Kingdom every time they want to go scheme in a busted cathedral? Did they forget it is No Man's Land and just wanted an asset reuse?

This Lorenzo dialogue made me groan:

Episode 21 said:
You two are testing my last nerve! I asked you to do one thing... one thing, and you couldn't even do that! You want this family to fall apart? Is that it?!

"You want this family to fall apart?" - in what universe would that line appeal to Dahlia or Eliza? Without the Life Gem, Lorenzo is barking like a cliche mobster.

Reactions: Corridor89
I guess it would work on Cerebella but yeah Dahlia would laugh it off and Eliza would be like wtf

Since no one else has posted it so:

Next Fast Pass episode is confirmed to be the last chapter in "Season 1" of the Webtoon (a lot of SG Season 1s ending lately huh). While the Webtoon isn't my favourite thing in the world, more SG lore is always welcome so if you care about lore as well do help to read and like the chapters and spread the words to you friends, so we could get a Season 2.

All caught up to Issue 22 but I wanted to note a couple fumbles in Issue 21:

Establishing shot is the destroyed city somewhere in No Man's Land with comically wide streets, first seen in Episode 0. This church is where Marie first meets Double and is given the chance to become the Skullgirl. Why the heck is it her base in the present? Are Double, Valentine, and Marie really traveling outside of the Canopy Kingdom every time they want to go scheme in a busted cathedral? Did they forget it is No Man's Land and just wanted an asset reuse?

This Lorenzo dialogue made me groan:

"You want this family to fall apart?" - in what universe would that line appeal to Dahlia or Eliza? Without the Life Gem, Lorenzo is barking like a cliche mobster.
I think it's funny that Lorenzo sounds so cliche. You have to remember that Lorenzo is this terrifying villain mainly because of his reliance on the Life Gem. Without his magic rock, all Lorenzo is is this old, decrepit, half-dead man who can just make empty threats.

I guess it would work on Cerebella but yeah Dahlia would laugh it off and Eliza would be like wtf

Since no one else has posted it so:

Next Fast Pass episode is confirmed to be the last chapter in "Season 1" of the Webtoon (a lot of SG Season 1s ending lately huh). While the Webtoon isn't my favourite thing in the world, more SG lore is always welcome so if you care about lore as well do help to read and like the chapters and spread the words to you friends, so we could get a Season 2.
I have some things to say about the webtoon, but one of the good things about it is that we're getting some answers to a lot of unanswered/hinted at things in the SG world.

Franz and Lorenzo have screen time, being two mysterious and key characters we don't see all that much of until recently, and the River King himself

1000002710.jpg

I could have sworn that Dahlia not being loyal to the Medici was old information. Something we would have known prior to 2019 and the start of webtoon's development.

I could have sworn that Dahlia not being loyal to the Medici was old information. Something we would have known prior to 2019 and the start of webtoon's development.
To be fair, I think what Cell is saying is that Mike Exner the writer isn't a long-time fan or follower and he was contracted and came in to learn about a huge amount of the character lore in a short amount of time. For the most part he did a decent job of grasping most of the character relationships and personalities, but in Dahlia's case he didn't get it quite right, which can be understandable from his perspective since Dahlia had had a very small role prior to her story's release.

But yeah, I think this could have been improved if there were better editorial efforts on the script before they were finalised. I think the devs especially on the lore side probably got a lot of things on their hands (in SG development tradition, devs who are in charge of the lore are also probably doing a lot of other different things lol), so, again, understandable, but I think it's a piece of constructive criticism that they could take into account for future Webtoon episodes, if we get them, or SG lore contents in general.

To be fair, I think what Cell is saying is that Mike Exner the writer isn't a long-time fan or follower and he was contracted and came in to learn about a huge amount of the character lore in a short amount of time. For the most part he did a decent job of grasping most of the character relationships and personalities, but in Dahlia's case he didn't get it quite right, which can be understandable from his perspective since Dahlia had had a very small role prior to her story's release.

But yeah, I think this could have been improved if there were better editorial efforts on the script before they were finalised. I think the devs especially on the lore side probably got a lot of things on their hands (in SG development tradition, devs who are in charge of the lore are also probably doing a lot of other different things lol), so, again, understandable, but I think it's a piece of constructive criticism that they could take into account for future Webtoon episodes, if we get them, or SG lore contents in general.
That's a very good point! I don't Mike Ex is a bad guy or anything, and he seems like he really enjoys doing the comic, but it's clear there should have been a bit more oversight on the script to nail out any mistakes. The webcomic isn't terrible by any means, it just needs to be pushed in the right directions.

I do hope we get a season 2 so we can get more lore of course. I would prefer if there was more editorial oversight.

Episode 23 was pretty good. Big Band was big (that car is way over weight capacity) and Brain Drain was a creep as expected. Ms. Fortune learning to adjust to her revenant body was interesting. A lot of "it's magic!" hand waving especially if one knows the mechanics of muscles or how speech is created (in short, Nadia shouldn't be able to talk when the head is disconnected from the torso).

sg-lh.jpg

In our world, it is sometimes traditional to get a family photo with everyone wearing Christmas sweaters. At Valentine's desk there is something similar with Last Hope ninja-nurses wearing some kind of Trinity holiday sweaters. Cute, but it just reminds me how Last Hope members are named for our world holidays that may or may not exist in the Skullgirls world.

Last edited:
Episode 23 was pretty good. Big Band was big (that car is way over weight capacity) and Brain Drain was a creep as expected. Ms. Fortune learning to adjust to her revenant body was interesting. A lot of "it's magic!" hand waving especially if one knows the mechanics of muscles or how speech is created (in short, Nadia shouldn't be able to talk when the head is disconnected from the torso).
My biggest issue with Brain Drain's characterisation here is that it doesn't seem to fit the bigger picture at all. He is extremely arrogant and petty, yes, and we know that both he and Valentine look down on Lab 8 members as being to weak because they are bound by morals, but there is no reason he would have intentionally sent the Skullgirl after Lab 8. Especially if, as Dahlia's story hints, he could be the founder of the Labs, Dr. Victor Geiger. If he wanted to get rid of Dr. Avian, he could have just... fired him?

In the Origin Stories, we have even seen the 2 labs working together, and they share technologies across labs as we have seen Painwheel being created Synthetic Parasite technologies created at Lab 8. As Brain Drain said in Big Band's 2E story, while he felt that Lab 8's creations are weak, Avian was useful to the ASG cause in developing technologies for the Labs, and the way he referred to Avian showed that he at least had some respect for his abilities. ("Is this your response after you cost us Avian?")

IF Brain Drain isn't Geiger, it could make more sense. My reading of Brain Drain's character is that he doesn't really care about the threat of the Skullgirls, he is someone with an intense inferiority complex and his works for the ASG Labs are mainly to prove his intellectual and combat superiorities. In that case, I can see him intentionally sabotage the works of his colleagues in order for himself to get ahead. His actions would fit that of a scheming underling, not the founder of the ASG Labs.

However; even if we've never directly seen Geiger, I would assume he has a completely different motivation. The fact that Geiger founded the Anti-Skullgirl Labs in the first place must be that he has some sort of personal and/or moral drive to find an end to the Skullgirls threat, and he even recruited people like Avian, whom other less-moral researchers would view as weak-willed. Similarly, I don't think Avian would have agreed to work for someone as morally bankrupt as Brain Drain. Working with them, maybe, but not for them. There must have been something Avian saw in Geiger that he at least respected enough that he was willing to work for the ASG Labs.

Sorry for the long rant lol. The whole Brain Drain/Geiger development is one of my biggest gripes with recent SG lore and I don't think it makes that much sense. Alex's old answers clearly showed that they were intended to be 2 different characters and trying to combine them isn't for the better.

In our world, it is sometimes traditional to get a family photo with everyone wearing Christmas sweaters. At Valentine's desk there is something similar with Last Hope ninja-nurses wearing some kind of Trinity holiday sweaters. Just reminds me how Last Hope members are named for our world holidays that may or may not exist in the Skullgirls world.
It is confirmed that the SG universe does have holidays that are the same as ours, just in different contexts, which is why the Last Hope are codenamed after them.

Maybe Webtoon Brain Drain is just insane/overconfident in his anti-Skullgirl weapon, Painwheel. But I agree, I prefer a more nuanced Brain Drain that can despise but also respect/value Dr. Avian.

Episode 24 observations:
  • For a comic based on a fighting game, there isn't much fighting
  • Ms. Fortune and Minette don't know each other...? Huhhhh?
  • I hoped the Webtoon would explore Vitale's fratricidal motives, but they seem as opaque as ever. Not clear what he's up to. It would be nice if there was more sabotage to play up the "takeover the Medici coup" angle. Like he should have been the one to leak Life Gem intel to the Fishbone Gang (instead of them accidentally and impossibly looking into the balcony window of a skyscraper too high above them) or paid Black Dahlia to botch the retrieval. Multiple plans to eliminate his father and because he's paranoid or hateful, make up a reason to kill his brother.

• Ms. Fortune and Minette don't know each other...? Huhhhh?
Yeah that is also a very weird one lol. I'm not sure where the writer got that Fortune didn't know Minette previously. She's a resident of Little Innsmouth and at least must have been to Yu-Wan's restaurant before.

• I hoped the Webtoon would explore Vitale's fratricidal motives, but they seem as opaque as ever. Not clear what he's up to. It would be nice if there was more sabotage to play up the "takeover the Medici coup" angle. Like he should have been the one to leak Life Gem intel to the Fishbone Gang (instead of them accidentally and impossibly looking into the balcony window of a skyscraper too high above them) or paid Black Dahlia to botch the retrieval. Multiple plans to eliminate his father and because he's paranoid or hateful, make up a reason to kill his brother.
Yeah, Vitale plotting for the Gem to be stolen so he could re-steal it would have been an interesting idea. However; I think based on what we see so far, it's probably more likely that he just took advantage of the situation that the Fishbone Gang stole the Gem, probably in the same way that he didn't plan to kill Marcus either. It seems to me like he's a good reactive thinker and quick to take action, but he's not proactive in his long-term planning and he's not as smart as Marcus was implied to be.

Caught up in time for the finale!
Yeah, not knowing Minette was a little weird. At least as far as the pieces in the game are concerned, it's still mostly matching up, down to Nadia's more well known fit.