• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Webtoon thread

Shnarfl

Reaction score
Steam
shnarfl

Parasoul is the MC, it'll be about her investigating the Medicis while Marie begins her reign of terror. Chaps 0, 1 and 2 are out with updates on Saturdays. No big lore dumps as of now, but now we know Beowulf was managed by a Medici and we can see Ms Fortune's predismemberment appearance.

So freaking happy it's out.

Can't wait for more, it's too interesting to miss. The art is amazing (the "bloodstained memories" of the previous Skullgirls were a crown jewel). The story fits right into SGM nicely. Brings back some important lore questions, you know...

I guess, we finally found out what was Marie's wish. Now I need her story mode even more.

Panzerfaust's popularity is going to skyrocket. He's definitely a man of many talents. And his speech patterns are charming.

Turns out, that getting on the nerves of a certain wrestler is a family trait. And it's nice. Parasoul definitely learned it from Annie's show

Molly and Ms. Fortune have the best facial expressions ever. Every picture of them is a meme material. Adam really needs a fire extinguisher in his playable kit.

Lorenzo is smug as usual. Was he flaunting around his special secret with that portrait? If so, I guess, he had it all coming.

I'm also happy to see Beowulf reading having a book. Nice nod to a then-popular pre-release fanon about him being a bookworm.

In the end, the first three chapters were something epic. Can't wait for more. Lots of love to everyone involved in making of that gem.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
Lorenzo is smug as usual. Was he flaunting around his special secret with that portrait? If so, I guess, he had it all coming.

That's not a portrait, he's looking out a window.

That's not a portrait, he's looking out a window.
Even better.
It's impolite to float your Life Gem around, Lorenzo.

Actually, how many knew about the Life Gem? Was it a well-known fact, or a sort of an "open secret"? I hope the comic will shed some light on this issue.

Okay, been away yesterday but here are my thoughts about the first 3 chapters:

- Nice scene with Marie's "origin" of how she made her way to the abandoned church and was offered the Skull Heart. I especially like the variant of the Trinity stained glass windows from the one we've seen in the Grand Cathedral. Some cool details include how the Mother is surrounded by what appears to be the same Theonite veins that we see in Final Atrium. Abaddon has tendrils with eyes, very similar to the running eye tendrils we see on Double. Khronos's manifestation appears to be.... chains? I wonder if there is any sort of mythological basis or reference for its appearance.

- Very cool flowing sequence that introduced the Skull Heart and previous Skullgirls. The thing that stands out to be the most is the fact that Leviathan is shown to be in Abaddon mode when he is moving towards Squigly.... for some reason? I like to think the writer/artists know what they are doing there, so it probably means something, but due to the abstract nature of the whole sequence it's hard to say if it should be taken literally (that's what Leviathan actually looked like during that scene) or metaphorically (just supposed to hint at his connection with Abaddon).

- We also (finally!) get the exact wording of Marie's wish. I have always thought she wished to save her friends from the orphanage, but the wording of the wish appears to be specific to saving Patricia. Interesting.

- I especially love how Parasoul is more intimidating and militaristic in this story than she is often shown. I think a lot of official extended interactions we've seen so far with her involve Umbrella, so she tends to be more unguarded and goofy, so it's nice to see her being no-nonsense when dealing with serious problems. I also like how we are shown visually how scary Krieg actually is. It's a goddamn napalm secreting umbrella and people like Beowulf would be pissing themselves at the sight of it, as they should

- I wonder if Wulf is Beo's actual surname or Para is calling him wrong, although it doesn't seem to fit her personality, unlike Umbrella and Beo's transaction in her story. Would make more sense that Para has researched him in advance and is calling him by his real name, so I'm 60% convinced that Wulf is indeed his surname. (It's funny because I was making a joke the other day that maybe his real name is B. Wolf or something lol) The other explanation is that his name is really just Beowulf, like how in real life people from certain cultures do not have surnames, and Para doesn't understand this and simply assumed the -wulf part must be his surname

- New named character introduced: Theodore Medici. Since his surname is Medici he must be part of the family proper, and not just some random goon. Some people think he's one of the bodies at the warehouse but I don't think they would have introduced a new named Medici just to unceremoniously kill him off before even showing his face. The bodies are pretty much unidentifiable so they are probably not him at all. My best guess is that he is the unnamed third son.

- Beo's line confirms that the Warehouse District is in South Meridian. Fits in with the old map of New Meridian that we've seen

- Feels like Panzer's size is changing all the time. I guess he is too big to fit into most spaces so they gotta keep it flexible. He was also way too small in Boardwalk

- Highly implied that it was Marie who burned up all the Medici at the warehouse as it fits with what she did in the SGM Main Story. If that is the case then the timeline takes place after Marie has already arrived in New Meridian

- In fact, it seems like the story so far is serving as a prequel to the Medici Tower raid in SGM Origin Story (prequel of a prequel lol). It was confirmed that Hotties Wrecking Bodies is a separate timeline, but not whether it is supposed to be the same timeline as the SGM Main Story timeline or yet another one. I can imagine they may adjust the timeline a bit for the sake of dramatic effects, but I'll have to see more of the story to see how it will pan out

- Panzer and Para Fastball Special hell yeah. Also love the dynamic of the chase sequence and moves from the game being worked into it seamlessly. Good shit

- Adam still acting as the babysitter even without Umbrella around and dealing with Parasoul's mess. Truly a man of many talents

- Another minor but cool detail is the appearance of the Life Gem prior to being swallowed by Fortune. I think it was always known that it must have been smaller, but it's helpful that we finally get to see its actual size.

So that's about it. Enjoying the comic so far and looking forward to next week's.

Edit:

Even better.
It's impolite to float your Life Gem around, Lorenzo.

Actually, how many knew about the Life Gem? Was it a well-known fact, or a sort of an "open secret"? I hope the comic will shed some light on this issue.

In Eliza's story, she was surprised to find out Lorenzo had the Life Gem, so it is not publicly known.

Okay, so we got some Peacock, Avian and Big Band. Which was beautiful, but extremely short.

Peacock has a natural talent to open doors.

Also, some Egret scenes.

Roxie finally has some speaking lines! That's the best thing that happened. Ever.

Though, shippers have some other opinion :PUN:

Adam should have his comic moves implemented in his playstyle, if he'll be lucky to have a promotion. It's too good to miss out. Though, fans of Panzerfaust are definitely waiting for an in-game opportunity to destroy the stage they're fighting at. That really was epic.

Adam should have his comic moves implemented in his playstyle, if he'll be lucky to have a promotion. It's too good to miss out.
I mean, Parasoul already chose him to lead (her personal Black Egrets squad, I presume she means), so I'm not sure what further promotion he could get lol. If he gets promoted anymore he would probably take Para's job.

Assuming the Canopy leadership works similarly to modern monarchies, then King Franz would be the commander-in-chief of the entire Canopy military. We know that Para is the commander of the Black Egrets branch. So there are probably commanders of the other branches as well, including army, navy and possibly air force. I guess Adam could become one of those, although it would be weird to promote him cross-branch.

But yeah, I think this is another cool chapter. Some thoughts:

- It's something we've seen before but it's cool to get a clearer image of Canopolis architecture

- Molly x Roxy more confirmed. Don't think there is any ambiguity left there lol

- Per the above, I like that Adam's role is more clarified. I have always assumed he is the second-in-command of the Egrets squad after Para but it's good to have it confirmed. I hope we get to see him fight more seriously in the future. We can see he's clearly got something more going but he was almost goofing around in the training session

- PLEASE MAKE THE BIG CHARACTERS BIG - Big Band also seems a bit too small in this lol

- Panzer with his shirt off at least seems to confirm he has human-like complexion at least, so that's more evidence that he's some sort of enhanced human rather than one of the fantasy species in the SG universe, although it's not a solid confirmation either since some other species do have human-like complexion, like Avian having human skin colour even though he's an elf.

- Again another solid action sequence. I'm glad the comic seems to have a lot of them and not just a series of dialogues. Hoping to see more of it

I mean, Parasoul already chose him to lead (her personal Black Egrets squad, I presume she means), so I'm not sure what further promotion he could get lol. If he gets promoted anymore he would probably take Para's job.
I meant his promotion to playable :PUN:

PLEASE MAKE THE BIG CHARACTERS BIG - Big Band also seems a bit too small in this lol
Small Band for DLC5, I say.
Voiced by Rich Brown on helium.

Again another solid action sequence. I'm glad the comic seems to have a lot of them and not just a series of dialogues. Hoping to see more of it
Yes, that's a huge point. The artists did an amazing job.

Panzer with his shirt off at least seems to confirm he has human-like complexion at least
I wonder if we'll ever see his face.
Same point stands for Ileum and Dahlia.

I meant his promotion to playable :PUN:
Can't argue with that.

I wonder if we'll ever see his face.
Same point stands for Ileum and Dahlia.
There is a concept sketch that shows Ileum's face actually. It's as horrific as you might imagine.

Also, on the subject of inconsistency, Panzer's tank switching arms every few frames isn't... ideal.

Reactions: Holy Goose
Also, on the subject of inconsistency, Panzer's tank switching arms every few frames isn't... ideal.
I headcanon that Roxie is just so fast while helping him to switch the active tank hand.

Okay, another chapter is here. With some new appearances, yay.
It's pretty short, but we got to see some King Franz.
The Egrets were there too, with some priceless facial expressions.
And a lot of Peacock doing Peacock things, which is beautiful.
It just keeps me intrigued.

The story really ties in SGM, you know...
Feng should be DLC5.

These comics are really cute.

Was the King always supposed to look like that?

By the way how do we refer to issues? Because the comic starts at 0 but the webtoon page itself starts from 1.

So like do I just call it ep 4 even though it's issue #5?

Yes, there was an old concept art.
Todd&franz.jpg

So like do I just call it ep 4 even though it's issue #5
I guess. Chapter 0 is a some kind of prelude.

I assume you haven't played Umbrella's story mode lol.

Also yeah I would just refer to them according to the chapter number they are labelled with. So the latest chapter is Chapter 4.

I assume you haven't played Umbrella's story mode lol.
Well, I hasn't played too (because I'm a horrible Umbrella player), but I know the story :PUN:

To be honest it's never really clicked for me that umbrella was released.

Still, I have seen the concept art, not sure how I missed that detail lol

The inconsistencies are driving me nuts!
  • As Chrono_Tata mentioned, large characters keep changing size
  • Characters are often off-model
  • Episode 3 ends with Peacock emerging from her room with Tommy Ten-Tons and Andy Anvil yet she has to summon them mid-drive in Episode 4
  • Panzerfaust's mech left hand switches to right for 2 panels in Episode 3

Speaking of Panzerfaust, I don't think the comic creators understand his design. The mini tank on his arm is for accelerating punches. Swiveling the turret around to point in Adam's face didn't make sense.

The whole Egret training scene was weird (probably an excuse for sweaty Egret fan service). No self-respecting fencer would spar with someone not wearing protective clothing and face-guard. Give Parasoul a bokken if she is going to fight Molly with tonfas. And that clumsy fight choreography... woof...

On the positive side, it is nice to see more of King Franz beyond Umbrella's story mode. Too bad he's in a cliché "police chief scolding a detective" scene with Parasoul.

So far I give the Skullgirls webtoon an OKAY grade. Not bad for aimless fan fiction.

Well, if anything, it's accurate to how fighting game sprites work.

That would have made sense but Panzer was on one side of the frame the whole time lol.
Yeah, in all honesty, I feel like the artwork quality in the webtoon, at least compared to the game, is not really the best. The environments just look kinda bland to me, they don't feel nearly as detailed as those seen in the games. Like, look at this.
the art is kinda lame.PNG
If you didn't tell me this generic cityscape was from a Skullgirls comic, I probably never would've guessed.
With all due respect to the artists, I feel like they could afford to get at least a little more creative with the art. One of Skullgirls' strongest assets is its amazing artwork. For a medium that's pretty much built on the art, the game blows the comic out of the water.

Reactions: Xyned
Yeah, in all honesty, I feel like the artwork quality in the webtoon, at least compared to the game, is not really the best. The environments just look kinda bland to me, they don't feel nearly as detailed as those seen in the games. Like, look at this.
Yeah, I give them a bit of a pass on that because a character's story mode has like a dozen images with original backgrounds at best (not counting the standard backgrounds) while the webcomic needs to have a lot more artwork. Could be better, but I think it's serviceable enough.

Another chapter is out. And Cerebella's finally here.

Also, we finally can see the interior of the Medici headquarters.

Roxie has another speaking appearance, and I hope she'll make it in the games too. The Egrets are sweet and memetic as usual. Make all of them playable, please.

And, of course, there's Peacock's circus adventure. Not enough, though. Need more cartoon girl.

Yeah, interesting that Parasoul is already visiting the Medici Tower and they let her right in to the top floor. I feel like this could strongly indicate a clean break from the SGM Main Story timeline and it seems to be its own separate timeline. I guess the Medici Tower raid could still happen but it would feel weird for Parasoul and team to just keep going there multiple times.

Visually, one interesting thing I noticed was the statues in the front of the Medici Tower.

Screenshot_20221210-1002262.png

Doesn't look like anyone we've seen before, certainly not one of the Trinity goddesses. I wonder who it could be. A Medici ancestor? An old ruler or a goddess of the Meridian Empire?

Reactions: Cal and Holy Goose
I find it a bit insulting that all of Roxie's lines so far have been exclusively for shipping bait. I mean, I get that they want to show off the newest generic fictional lesbian couple, but damn it would be nice if we could get actual characterization and dialogue for Roxie.
Maybe I am being harsh, but Roxie feels more like a substantial character in all of Alex's old dialogue-less drawings than she does here.

Edit: Not to mention how amateurishly out of place this is.
"Hey look, Parasoul is going to try to bust the Medici for human trafficking, one of the most horrid crimes that can be committed in both fiction and real life. Btw here's Roxie blushing at Molly!"

Embarrassing

Last edited:
Maybe I am being harsh, but Roxie feels more like a substantial character in all of Alex's old dialogue-less drawings than she does here.
I can understand your feelings, especially since I've been dying to see what they'd do with Roxie as a character for a while. Right now I just don't care for her, but maybe she'll do some cool stuff later on.

Last edited:
I get your point.
It feels nice to get a bit of Roxie at all, of course, but I hope to get more information about her personality. She has a very intriguing description as a potential DLC, and I would like to know more about that side of the character.

There's so much potential about her. Would be horrible if it all goes nowhere.

Not to mention her potential fighting style. Why she was inspired by Sub-Zero, of all people?..

Edit: Not to mention how amateurishly out of place this is.
Yeah, it kind of sticks out. Imagine if there was some other couple instead.

Wouldn't be weird for Beowulf and The Hurting, though...

Last edited:
Reactions: stale cheeto
The main problem with Webtoons is that they expect Originals creators to be pumping out 60+ panels every week - they don't actually have a whole lot of buffer depending on how early they were hired. Backgrounds are gonna look rough even on the comic's best days, but I commend the artist on actually painting even the generic locations because most works of this caliber just extract lineart from 3D models.

Yeah, it kind of sticks out. Imagine if there was some other couple instead.
I think it would be just as obnoxious if it were any other pairing.
But let's also recognize that IT ISN'T just any other pairing. Adam and Parasoul could be making goo-goo eyes at each other, or Adam could be stumbling all over himself to speak to Parasoul, but that isn't the case. The comic respects both Parasoul's and Adam's characters enough to not dwell on some hamfisted romantic writing the way it is doing with Roxie. Adam and Parasoul are treated appropriately by the art and writing, while Roxie isn't. Instead, her and Molly's relationship is being paraded for no reason and in a manner that actively runs contrary to the narrative's tone.

Reactions: stale cheeto
Maybe I just have poor reading comprehension... Has anything noteworthy happened yet? I feel like these chapters have been for set up but also the set up doesn't feel like anything substantial either? Am I bad at a reading?

edit: maybe it's just 'cause the chapters are very short so hopefully something starts happening

Last edited:
Maybe I just have poor reading comprehension... Has anything noteworthy happened yet? I feel like these chapters have been for set up but also the set up doesn't feel like anything substantial either? Am I bad at a reading?

edit: maybe it's just 'cause the chapters are very short so hopefully something starts happening
If you read it from the perspective of someone not familiar with the Skullgirls story, which is the main audience that the comic seems to be aiming for, there are plenty of things happening. If you are already familiar with SG, most things are pretty much already known so nothing particularly exciting is going on.

It's not really that I'm looking for more info but to me it looks like not much has happened yet but I also gotta keep in mind that these chapters are not as long as normal comics usually are so that's why the pacing seems really slow.

It's not really that I'm looking for more info but to me it looks like not much has happened yet but I also gotta keep in mind that these chapters are not as long as normal comics usually are so that's why the pacing seems really slow.
Doesn't it? I mean, since Chapter 0, we got:

- Background info on the legend of the Skull Heart with a look at the previous Skullgirls
- Origin of the current Skullgirl
- Introducing Parasoul and the Egrets interrogating known Medici associates, and Beowulf gives her the lead to investigate the Warehouse District
- They investigate the warehouse and found charred Medici remains, hinting that Marie has arrived in New Meridian
- Introducing Ms. Fortune. The Egrets tried to apprehend her; she escaped but left behind a document that indicate the Medici are trafficking slaves
- Conversation between the Egrets, establishing their personalities
- B Plot introducing Peacock, other Lab 8 members, and the Cirque des Cartes
- Parasoul tries to convince the King. Gives more info about Lorenzo and the Medici's position in New Meridian and their stalemate against the Renoir government
- Against her father's wish, she went to try to confront Lorenzo anyway, Lorenzo is expecting her

I think that's way more plot progression than your average weekly shounen manga.

I have a hard time describing it but there's just other stuff I want to know before the other characters get established. Maybe slow pacing was the wrong way to describe it but something feels off to me and I'm not entirely sure what.

I have a hard time describing it but there's just other stuff I want to know before the other characters get established. Maybe slow pacing was the wrong way to describe it but something feels off to me and I'm not entirely sure what.
That's fair. I think it's more of a criticism on the story structure rather than the pacing.

Personally it feels alright to me. Not everything about the characters/scenarios have been revealed but I feel like what have are enough to allow the reader to follow the story. But of course the facts are already well-known to me so I have my bias. Would be best to ask people who are completely new to SG what they think of it.

Reactions: Stuff
Yeah, I'm starting to think I can't look at it objectively at all, I just know too much. So far I'm enjoying it, but the anticipation is also gnawing at me lol

Last edited:
Another chapter is out. And now I want to see playable Adam even more. These finger guns are awesome, and it should be in his moveset (alongside fire extinguisher) :PUN:
He was right all along, Parasoul's plan wasn't perfect, to put it mildly.

Cerebella is as great as always, and it's nice to see her having some screentime. Hope to see her in action scenes too.

I'm surprised that Molly is a fan of the Circus, considering that she's supposed to know about them working for Medicis. Her dreaming of wielding a Living Weapon is adorable, though.

And, of course, here's Black Dahlia. Just in time, considering what's happening in the main game and Mobile. I suppose, she'll show us her awesome moves in the next chapter. And I hope Ottomo will join too. There's no reason why he shouldn't.

At least this chapter clearly establishes the break from the SGM Main Story timeline now, since Parasoul find out about Bella's past in the elevator ride, where in SGM she finds out the same thing in a different situation (albeit also in Medici Tower).

Apart from that revelation, not too much actual action yet, but it definitely sets up something exciting for the next chapter.

My guess though is it's gonna follow the SGM direction and Marie is gonna burst in and try to kill Lorenzo before Para gets it down with Dahlia. The fact that all 3 of Marie's victims from SGM are there doesn't help lol

At least this chapter clearly establishes the break from the SGM Main Story timeline now, since Parasoul find out about Bella's past in the elevator ride, where in SGM she finds out the same thing in a different situation (albeit also in Medici Tower).

Apart from that revelation, not too much actual action yet, but it definitely sets up something exciting for the next chapter.

My guess though is it's gonna follow the SGM direction and Marie is gonna burst in and try to kill Lorenzo before Para gets it down with Dahlia. The fact that all 3 of Marie's victims from SGM are there doesn't help lol
right i remember marie busting in the tower at the time..i wonder if it will be different this time