• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

New tracks were all Daisuke. Remixes were done by another musician who's name I can't find.

New tracks were all Daisuke. Remixes were done by another musician who's name I can't find.

"Credit to: the guy who mauled Bullet Dance."

I actually liked a couple of the remixes (Tsubaki's, Makoto's, Sword of Doom) but mostly I missed Daisuke in the lead. No one wants to hear a pinch hitter as the lead composer.

How do you guys feel about GGX2's remixes of all the GGX's songs?

I'd say the GGX versions are usually the best versions of most characters' themes.

Reactions: Ktulu
GG2's version of Holy Orders is probably my favorite (which is saying something bearing in mind there's like 10 of 'em).

Anywho, I guess I'm on the minority who is both not all that charmed by Xrd's OST and really likes the BBCP one. Sure, the new guy botched Plastic Night but he also improved a good amount of them (Endless Despair II, White Requiem II and X-Matic II come to mind).
For Xrd, I like some themes (Millia, Potemkin, Slayer and Bedman) and that's about it. And even those I like, I don't think they hold up to their "predecessors" (Bedman not counting, for obvious reasons) but, this was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" affair - remix the classics and people will complain they're not new. Compose new themes and people will complain they're not the classics.

So, Sin...he can charge up to cancel special moves into each other? He was compared to Order Sol but that sounds a bit like Jam's mechanic.

He has a meter instead of the symbols Jam uses. He's like Order Sol in that way.

So I've sin.:PUN:

What I didn't see was your question. Not properly at least. -_-"
I always refer to X2 as XX so when I see the 2, I associate it with Overture. Answer is still the same, surprisingly. After Overture's, X2 has my favorite version of Holy Orders. Overall, I'd say the same as Zazz - GGX has the best versions, with my personal exceptions being the aforementioned Holy Orders, Blue Water Blue Sky and Fuuga.
I didn't like how they "chopped" the themes of Dizzy and Testament but it kinda felt like a necessity. Back in GGX, boss Dizzy would probably mop the floor with the player before the tune even got to kick in.

Overall, I'd say one of the things I'm most disappointed with the music in Xrd is that most tunes don't have as much pipe organ/piano/harpsichord/etc as the previous. I'm usually very fond of the ones that have that (part of why Bedman's is among my favorites).
Again, I'm sure that listening to them while playing the game will change most of that.

Sin will probably get a new theme for Xrd since the new music direction in that game is completely new themes for the returning characters instead of remix of past ones outside of a few exceptions. So far the new Xrd tracks have been hit/miss with me when I compare with the old ones. Really glad Holy Orders III made the cut though even if it only happens in a specific condition.

BB CP music have been hit/miss for me too. Digging some of the new tracks like Black Aggression and BUSIN while the remixes depend. Some were improvements that fit in a fighting game more/reflect the character more while others just feel off.

Anywho, I guess I'm on the minority who is both not all that charmed by Xrd's OST and really likes the BBCP one. Sure, the new guy botched Plastic Night but he also improved a good amount of them (Endless Despair II, White Requiem II and X-Matic II come to mind).
For Xrd, I like some themes (Millia, Potemkin, Slayer and Bedman) and that's about it. And even those I like, I don't think they hold up to their "predecessors" (Bedman not counting, for obvious reasons) but, this was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" affair - remix the classics and people will complain they're not new. Compose new themes and people will complain they're not the classics.
I mostly agree with this, although I also like the new Potemkin theme, the new Sol vs. Ky theme, and the new assassins theme (although the latter two have nothing on "Noontide" and "Existence", of course).

Daisuke did a lot more with the rhythm guitars in Xrd's soundtrack (as a mainly rhythm guitar player, this made me very happy). So my opinion of Xrd's soundtrack might be a bit biased.

As much as I like the soundtrack I really wanted a Holy Orders IV and not a brand new piece, the same for all the characters, though some do have simmilar parts that reminds me of the original like I-no

Some characters really needed new themes. Sol, Ky, Millia, and Chipp have had the some theme since the original Guilty Gear. Baiken, Justice, and Cliff also have never had a different theme. (Both of these statements are ignoring the Korean OST that was not written by Daisuke).

the only good thing on the Korean OST was Vortex Infinitum anyways
and by proxy Pillar of the underworld

Reactions: Hemijack
I kind of liked Ricochet from the Korean OST. That's it, though.

and by proxy Pillar of the underworld
nope
only Vortex Infinitum
sometimes mixes are better then what they're mixing

I also wasnt a big fan of Overture's music Just Diva and Holy Orders III

the only good thing on the Korean OST was Vortex Infinitum anyways
How can you not like "In the Arms of Death"?

Daisuke did a lot more with the rhythm guitars in Xrd's soundtrack (as a mainly rhythm guitar player, this made me very happy). So my opinion of Xrd's soundtrack might be a bit biased.
It's all good. We all have our reasons for preferring one or another. I'm very biased to tunes that use key instruments or just show off a lot of classical music influence (hence my liking of BBCP's OST that adds a lot of that to the tunes).

How can you not like "In the Arms of Death"?
Now that is a good question.
I'll add "The Great Empress", "Tears Are Forever", "The Vampire Saga", "Seizures", "Dementia", "Sticks and Stones", "Red Crossroads", "Blacklight Babe", "Keeper of the Unknown", "Ditto", "Dementia" and "Vortex Infinitum" to it.
Gotta admit I really love N.EX.T's tunes, prolly not over Ishiwatari's work but I dare say they filled his metaphorical shoes very well. Comparatively speaking, the GG/BB games that don't have Ishiwatari compose all the tunes still manage to have considerably more talented folks than OSTs "overseen" by Yamaoka (practically any OST he doesn't work on himself ends up being a disappointing mess).

Side note, I remain fixated with the idea that Tears Are Forever uses a excerpt from a classical piece and I'm still boggled trying to figure it out. =A=

Speaking of "A Fixed Idea", how about Testament's original theme? That is a classic I'd love to hear in Xrd. (Likewise for "The March of the Wicked King" and "In Slave's Glory" though the characters in question already have their themes.)

A Fixed Idea is easily one of Daisuke's best songs. The nod to The March of the Wicked King in Axl's Xrd theme was really cool in Xrd, and Faust's new theme might have a riff from his theme Unidentified Cook (not 100% sure. I'd have to go back and listen to them both again).

Jam is really fun to use. Why did nobody tell me this? Why isn't she in Xrd? The fuck, man.

Because everybody secretly hates fighting against Jam and if she was in Xrd she'd ruin everything.

They need to git gud. And stay out of the corner.

Are you sure you guys aren't confusing Jam with Testament? (I'd say Eddie, but he's still in the roster.)

Reactions: Hemijack and Balder
I'm waiting for Izuna and Dr. Paradigm :I
y'all kids are too hooked on the old
we need some new blood

I'm waiting for Izuna and Dr. Paradigm :I
y'all kids are too hooked on the old
we need some new blood
Blood? why not 3 bloods in a pack? And other than the overture people ABA is the newest

Reactions: Hemijack and Ktulu
A.B.A is the most satisfying character to use. She's not in Xrd because fuck us. Jam is fun (still not A.B.A though) and also not in Xrd because fuck us.

without Force breaks in Xrd she would have got a lot of changes since she used them for an Oki and a good counter

No more unblockable setup for A.B.A, either.

Those two are probably not in because they were seen as accessories to the main plot back in XX. Most of the characters in Xrd actually have an impact on the plot in some way.

Those two are probably not in because they were seen as accessories to the main plot back in XX. Most of the characters in Xrd actually have an impact on the plot in some way.
May? most of them were included because of mechanics and the story was built around them

I don't see how Chipp's quest for Presidency is more important than A.B.A finding Paracelsus a body or Jam's restaurant.

It's important because it secures the spread of freedom throughout the land
american-flag-eagle-5.jpg

God bless that man and his spirit of captialism and democracy o7

really though the story of guilty gear has never been good but there's not much point in arguing that now since they seem intent on having one

May is an exception because she's been in since the original game and hasn't been killed off or been given a reason to stop fighting yet. Same goes for Chipp.

Even if Guilty Gear's story isn't the best, at least it's not the mind fuckery that is Blazblue's story.

May is an exception because she's been in since the original game and hasn't been killed off or been given a reason to stop fighting yet. Same goes for Chipp.
Justice, Testament, and Baiken have more important stories and have been made since the original