• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 23, 2014] Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 10 (UFGT) (Rosemont, IL)

Yeah Dark Obliske is a friend of mine and he does play Painwheel/Parasoul. And he did win the Skullgirls tournament at the ACEN anime convention this past weekend. Can't say how the competition was though. A win is a win no less.

@konkrete

What's your current tag?

So you taught him @Elda Taluda ? or do y'all just play regularly?

Yeah Dark Obliske is a friend of mine and he does play Painwheel/Parasoul. And he did win the Skullgirls tournament at the ACEN anime convention this past weekend. Can't say how the competition was though. A win is a win no less.
Oh it was an anime convention? Alright I'm less impressed lol.

Reactions: Uzumakihero
We used to play quite frequently in vanilla/SDE days. He just got back into playing with the release of Encore.

He isn't my pupil by any means but I have shared my PW stuff with him.. That said he tends to do his own thing lol

Oh it was an anime convention? Alright I'm less impressed lol.

While I'd agree with this for the most part you never know who'll be there. For instance I had to play against Justin Wong at Youmacon 2012.

While I'd agree with this for the most part you never know who'll be there. For instance I had to play against Justin Wong at Youmacon 2012.
Yeah I guess you're right. Also answer my question in the tier list thread, nerd

Not yet. Unless they change the rules before we get there it'll still be 2/3 until Grand Finals.

He does his own thing...

I'm in there.

Since the 1v1 change theres absolutely no reason to be 2/3 anymore, people should start doing tournaments in 3/5 already imo

Since the 1v1 change theres absolutely no reason to be 2/3 anymore, people should start doing tournaments in 3/5 already imo
I don't think the game involves enough potential for stupid random stuff to qualify for 3/5 status like UMvC3. As far as I'm aware, solos were never the reason SG is 2/3, it's just generally the standard for traditional 2D fighters.

Skullbats being 3/5 is a different story because as soon as you go online, the potential for stupid random stuff goes off the charts. Offline doesn't need it.

Reactions: Merlock
Most traditional 2d fighters have rounds tho, and momentum is too relevant in skullgirls, it really isn't as crazy as marvel but still, 3/5 feels a lot more appropriate.

Reactions: Dhoppler
Since people learned how to play Marvel 3, it hasn't been that random. The momentum is just as crazy hard to reverse though. You know what else has crazy good momentum? Skullgirls. 3/5 plox.

And so once again I get a chance to escape from my pool thanks to lack of competition

Time to keep the most fraudulent top 8 streak going Kappa

still though 56 peeps gj SG community

4 people get out of pools?

#Woah #Wow. I am hype now ^_^

I'm in Kenin's pool. #bodied
oh shit, yeah 4 people get out of pools? I may have a fighting chance :o

Dark is a strong a PW/Dub player who placed pretty high at CEO.

EDIT: O he uses Para now? K.

And thats cool that Chilldog is in my bracket, we haven't played since casuals at EVO 2012 so this should be cool!

Since people learned how to play Marvel 3, it hasn't been that random. The momentum is just as crazy hard to reverse though. You know what else has crazy good momentum? Skullgirls. 3/5 plox.
The momentum's good if the defending player can't deal with resets, and if they can't deal with resets then an extra round isn't going to help them.

SG has enough mechanics in place at this point to where a character can avoid being killed off of one hit confirm, which Marvel 3 doesn't. SG was 2/3 last year and had fewer mechanics in place for defending players to use to come back, and pools still took ages to get through. 3/5 would be a slog.

Dark Ob is good, although I've only played him once or twice. 3/5 would be nice because more games is more fun. I hate seeing SG get 2/3 when Injustice and Divekick are 3/5.

This is going to be pretty hype. I'm sort of glad it's all in one day, although saturday would have been nicer.

Its gonna be great to see past midwest bros and make new ones too. Really excited!!

even DoA was 3/5 on ect... T_T
The tournament is already running pretty much all day

I want to go 0-2 as fast as possible so I can get back to casuals

even DoA was 3/5 on ect... T_T

Run 3/5 in Brazil and try to start a movement, no US TO's seem interested.

Sorry :(

tbh the Brazil weeklies take an absurdly long time relative to the size of the bracket. I don't know if that's just because of the 3/5 format but it can't be helping.

3/5 is indeed a compounding problem, but the fact that SG has really streamlined tournament mode mitigates that.

I thought we used 3/5 before because of the massive combos. But now with undizzy and all the other changes i think 2/3 is fine.

Okay... so the pools were updated...

The only difference is now Winnie is in A1.

fwiw it feels like almost every match I play now goes down to the last 10 seconds, 3/5 does seem like it would run long; to be fair I also disagree with most everything outside of MvC3 being 3/5

I don't really see Skullgirls getting enough from 3/5 at the cost of the much longer tourney. The amount of variance cut by going to 3/5 doesn't really seem like much to me in SG. To be fair though, I am a bit skewed one way since I think at this point of its development, even Marvel is pushing it on 3/5, much less other games.

Winnie's out of my pool, woooo

Our weekly is intentionally long because it is the only stream we have, we try to give everyone a chance to be on stream to comment on and support everyone's play (our community really needs a boost).

I just like 3/5 because people get to play more and playing is fun.

In sde 3/5 would have been good with all the tod stuff going around. In encore, undizzy gives people 2 chances per character at 3v3, generally speaking. With another chance when their new character comes in (especially with high undizzy) which generally results in 6 chances per game. Which is more or less equivalent to an sf4 2 round match.

3/5 is more fun but not needed.

Skullgirls is both very consistent and lasts long enough in a 2/3 set. Here in Aus we do 2/3 until we reach winners, losers, and grand finals then it's 3/5. There are two games I know of here in Aus that work on 3/5 for the whole way through and that's UMVC3 - Because players thought the game was random as fuck so they wanted longer sets for more consistent results like the US players, and VF5:FS - Because the matches are over instantly even with 3/5 rounds and this just gives us more time to play in tournament. Skullgirls only goes fast when it's a complete slapping, with the average even match running down to ~45-65 Skullgirls seconds in my experience.

Reactions: Mr. X
@Duckator and ANYBODY ELSE WHO'S DOWN

Me and @Skullmageddon are gonna be at galloping ghost arcade on Saturday evening, so if you wanna come and chill with the homies and have some drinks over games of silent scope/metal slug/X-men, we'll be there from 4pm-7pm. If you haven't been, there's no excuse not to go. Organize a carpool or something and get your ass to Mars.

Reactions: Skullmageddon