• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

More impressions? More impressions.

Shingeki no Bahamut - 01
It's like Pirates of the Caribbean meets the 3 Muskateers accompanied with a distinctly spanish soundtrack in a fantasy setting. That's probably the best way I can generally describe the "atmosphere" of the first episode of the show and its definitely been my most welcome surprise hit of the season. They also went totally ham on the animation budget for the first ep, you guys don't want to miss this. Did I mention the main protagonist has an afro?

Gundam Reconguista in G - 01

I have no idea what to make of the first episode of this series. As I'm probably gonna have to rewatch it to really get a handle on anything that actually "happened" here I can only say that a combination of the dialogue ("THE EARTH IS NOT A SQUARE!") and the seemingly completely random events accompanied with techno jargon left me completely confused. Is this the power of Tomino?

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
if you guys never watched Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, get off your asses, get the S.A.V.E. Funimation is selling at a good price and rock on!

So TRIGGER's new show is surprisingly good.

I like the first episode of Psycho-Pass 2 more than I like the entire first season

Reactions: Cash
I like the first episode of Psycho-Pass 2 more than I like the entire first season

Really? It didn't feel like the show went anywhere or did anything the first season did not.
Granted, I saw the episode as more or less a re-cap of how everything in the world of Psycho Pass works for those that aren't up to speed.

I'll continue watching it. That said, I really hope the story has something new to bring in extra moral & social quandaries. Love that stuff.

i don't watch that
i live that
hajime_i_cant_unders_62768.jpg

finally revealed what you look like I see

Really? It didn't feel like the show went anywhere or did anything the first season did not.
Granted, I saw the episode as more or less a re-cap of how everything in the world of Psycho Pass works for those that aren't up to speed.
i liked it more than the first episode of the first season for sure
it was about 48 times less EDGY and Akane is forever more appealing than spiky mcbroodpants (and if his dumbass or silver o'pretentiousbutt ever show up this season loses points)
plus I feel that it established the new characters a tiny bit better than the first episode established its cast.

So, have you guys ever watched/read Naoki Urasawa's Monster? If you haven't, you really should. Best suspense thriller out there. Also,Johan Liebert. Can't say enough about that guy.

and for you Europeans, the series takes place in Germany!

Last edited:
Reactions: iLoli
so, who here is watching "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying"?
I'm watching it. It's not on the same level as Nozaki-kun this year, but still has its funny moments. I don't really like how adaptations of 4-panel comedy mangas are too short. Seitokai Yakuindomo is also a 4-panel comedy, but the episodes are 24 minutes long and I love the adaptation.

>hears Funi is straming Garo on their site
>heads there
>"premium members only"

black-and-white-chris-brown-depressed-gif-sad-Favim.com-295171.gif

Well since I found this on the net today:

GaroAnime_zps9db2db72.jpg

I don’t think the first episode was well received.

Reactions: Denizen
well, it either said that because of one of the monsters is kinda..... graphic, to say the least.

or it could be the COPIOUS amounts of man-service. literally, most of the episode one of the main characters is naked.

EDIT: I mean, the only negative thing I've seen people say about it is the CG.

EDIT EDIT: and considering I have no idea what the context of said comic is refering to, I can only assume it's talking about how it's not for kids. because holy shit this is not for kids.

also I think Romi Park's character is in the next episode so.... excited for that. :)

also, I heard the guys making both gundam shows stopped work to watch the anime when it aired.

Last edited:
I heard the characters and story suck, this one dude I dont know yet is apparently the worst Makai Knight ever and the CG sucks. All on one page. I'm still gonna watch it though, get my own opinion.

Also it's just the first episode, there's a whole show ahead to set things right. Or not. We'll see.

that seems like a really quick judged opinion you found. I mean, one of the main four has only just been introduced. also, Leon and Herman both are pretty much like Kouta and Zero from the original Garo series. =3= Herman is just more of a ladies man than Zero was. I mean, they're the only two makai knights in the series so far. like, I wanna see where you're getting these opinions from. D: I know one of the Garo series wasn't that great and many consider it the worst. I mean we're only on the second episode. all Leon did was fight a horror and threw a rock at Herman. Herman just wooed a lady and gave out exposition.

EDIT: it also seems weird that Funimation would just pick up a series if it started out that bad from the first episode....

EDIT: and that comic above I've been told is made by a guy who is a dick.

Last edited:
so, after finally being able to watch the second episode of Garo Honoo no Kokuin subbed, lemme just say
tumblr_ndav17xjts1qd1q2so1_500.gif

tumblr_nd9gxvC0jZ1tg56d0o1_500.gif

tumblr_nd9f3dbYbB1tg56d0o1_500.gif

Emma Guzman is a fucking badass.

and for episode 3
tumblr_nd9agkhvlC1rsx4y6o1_1280.jpg

get hype for this guy! this guy! this ring is one of the best characters in Garo. yes, a fucking ring is one of the best characters from the franchise.
sorry for double posting

About new psycho-pass. I didn't notice that much of a "shoujo" genre in it before. But now there is a two girls-bosses (senpai and kohai), a bunch of sweet looking boys as subordinates, and that girls playing "good boss/bad boss" with them. It's going in weird direction...

I agree, but I would say it is more Josei than Shoujo. I think I'm using the terms correctly. (It's like Shonen is to Seinan as Shoujo is to Josei.)

Speaking of things going in weird directions, on last night's The Simpsons, they made a quick reference to popular anime characters:

K9bCATH.jpg

Here's the clip on YouTube. I'm not sure what reaction they are going for with the Attack on Titan, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Pokemon, and Spirited Away references. It isn't funny, like something to laugh at -- more like a flicker of recognition. "Ah. I got the reference."

It's kinda unsettling. One would expect to see a Roronoa Zoro Homer or a Mikasa Ackerman Lisa on some corner of deviantart or some obscure tumblr blog, rather than national television.

It's not the first time The Simpsons have made tributes to anime.

Homer = Ultraman
Bart = Astro Boy
Lisa = Sailor Moon
Marge = Jun the Swan
Maggie = Pikachu

About new psycho-pass. I didn't notice that much of a "shoujo" genre in it before. But now there is a two girls-bosses (senpai and kohai), a bunch of sweet looking boys as subordinates, and that girls playing "good boss/bad boss" with them. It's going in weird direction...
I agree that it's going in a somewhat weird direction with the girl characters. The "sweet looking boys" are not a new addition, imo. Just look at Kogami and Makishima from the first season.
On the note of Psycho Pass, thus far, one thing that kind of bugs me is that the writers made this cliche unlikable "mad bomber" dude the first criminal, who the police have to chase for two whole episodes. I would be more ok with this were the second season longer than 11 episodes, but it's a really weak way to start the second season, with only 9 more episodes to go. That said, I'm still gonna watch the rest of the season in hopes that it gets better.

gasp
a serious show with a primarily female cast?
in anime?
and the primary focus isn't romantic drama?????
what is this SJW bullshit getting into my anime
miku should have never appeared on Letterman feminism is destroying my artform

I agree, but I would say it is more Josei than Shoujo. I think I'm using the terms correctly. (It's like Shonen is to Seinan as Shoujo is to Josei.)
Yeah, you're right, it's more like josei. I just used to call everthing girl oriented "shoujo", but it's actually different.