• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf Thread: Retiring from Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thinking thats his symbol, anyone agree?

It'll be kinda hard to put a chair in such a simple and tiny design and make it properly look like a chair.
Early concept art showed a wolf being his symbol.

It'll be kinda hard to put a chair in such a simple and tiny design and make it properly look like a chair.
Early concept art showed a wolf being his symbol.

hmm. The way I saw it it would be the standard gold colour which would outline the chair ans sorta merge into the handles, which would also be gold (I dunno what else to call it, so its gold.)
this way, the seat portion would be black, similar to how we see in this banner.

but a wolf would be best tho, I want that too.

EDIT: also, anyone notice the chair banner if you dont have a full team?
index.php

>"older fighting games"
>Guilty Gear XX was released in 2002
(.__.)

If Galactica Phantom is a fair comparison, does that mean this Blockbuster can be charged until it's unblockable? :3
I think it would be interesting. Maybe balance it by having the unblockable effect cost a additional bar. Could be interesting together with lock down assists. *reminisces about KoF99 Galactica Phantom set-ups with Vanessa striker*

Anyway, the stage looks pretty cool but I admit I was expecting some more, well, "ancestral", I guess. Like the Viking equivalent of the Roman Colosseum with a blizzard taking place.

also, anyone notice the chair banner if you dont have a full team?
On the other side of the stage, there's a banner with Grendel's severed arm. Naturally, those two banners pertain to Beowulf. Probably in celebration of his return to the arena.

Anyway, the stage looks pretty cool but I admit I was expecting some more, well, "ancestral", I guess. Like the Viking equivalent of the Roman Colosseum with a blizzard taking place.
Is every character coming with two stages? One that pertains to them and one that is story focused?
If that's how it is then there's still a chance of us seeing some unique lore stage.

If Galactica Phantom is a fair comparison, does that mean this Blockbuster can be charged until it's unblockable? :3
I think it would be interesting. Maybe balance it by having the unblockable effect cost a additional bar.

or cost hype meter?

He doesn't even have that many special moves yet either.

Reactions: Denizen
Is every character coming with two stages? One that pertains to them and one that is story focused?
If that's how it is then there's still a chance of us seeing some unique lore stage.
I would like for that to be this case as well. So many places in Skullgirls with a variety of probabilities.

I think the Beowulf patch comes with this stage and Robo-Fortune's. If there will be anything more, I would bet on variations of those two. Dunno.
Beowulf just strikes me as the Zangief type who does austere training in the frigid mountains, terrorizing wrestling the local fauna just for kick and giggles. Diregrizzlies be all like "Oh shit! It's that wacko that gets his rocks off by piledriving us into the ground. Quick! - play dead."
And back in Beowulf's crib, he's all "Nah, my bear rug isn't dead. He's just too afraid to move."
Also, Beowulf was banished from the Canopian Zoo for wrestling the animals. "Every zoo is a petting zoo if you're not a pussy."

Yes, Overly Manly Man's exploits fit Beowulf like a glove. :3

EDIT: something I forgot to ask.
Mike Z mentioned that all his basic moves have been implemented but isn't he missing some moves without the chair?

Mike Z mentioned that all his basic moves have been implemented but isn't he missing some moves without the chair?

No I think he has them all.
The only attacks he has that involve the chair are his heavies, and j.HP is the body splash into grab, j.HK is the foot dive, s.HP is just a straight into grab, s.HK is the super kick, c.HP is the Grendel uppercut, and c.HK is the Grendel sweep.
Unless you're referring to specials, he has all of his with and without chair normals.

You're right. I was under the erroneous impression there would also be chair/arm variables for the standing Hard attacks. (.__.)

i'm just wondering how the grendel arm is going to work, like do you have to send beowulf in and shoot the chair out first like ms. fortune with any headless assist?

Probably. He did mention a preliminary animation for the chair disappearing on tag-out.

Bang Camaro suggested being able to not pick up the chair if you don't want to, so how bout a question:
I prefer automatic pickup instead of say D+KK or something. If it's automatic, anyone got ideas for how to NOT pick it up?

Some answers:
- Beowulf can't short hop, but he doesn't really have to since his dash is a short hop by default. He doesn't float.
- Don't take the logo as official, that concept art was by Emlan. :^P
- Chair is a regular old projectile, it may not stop when getting hit by other projectiles, though. Eliza's chaise-lounge/daybed (not sure why people keep calling it a couch) is unique in that it ignores projectiles.
- Unblockable for another bar is a strange definition of "balanced", it's just 2 bars for a free hit instead of 1. And no, there is no fully-unblockable hit type in the SG engine, even if it weren't a horrible design decision.
- Beowulf has different animations for moves that use the chair, without it. Standing HP is chair shot / grab. s.HK doesn't use the chair so why would it change?
- Normal grabs do go to grab mode, and you can indeed use forward/back to toss them forward/backward, remember he's missing all but one designed finisher (chair dance was extra bonus). But the animation for the attempt and whiff, and the transition to grab mode (since the hit frame is dfferent from s.HP) still counts as an animation!

I prefer automatic pickup instead of say D+KK or something. If it's automatic, anyone got ideas for how to NOT pick it up?
What about just 2 (Not 3 or 1)?
Very simple and fast, almost as fast as automatic as long as you're not falling asleep.
Lets you dash over it or past it without picking it up too, or pick it up as you pass it with one button. (Oops keyboard player)

I don't see how that would work without holding a button, so I'd suggest either holding one of the lights or an assist combination (eg LP+MK) while running over the chair means you don't pick it up;
The former doesn't cause much of an issue whiffing the respective button in neutral + you'll usually not poke with say s.LP,
The latter would not affect solo/anchor Beo at all (can't call assist), and in general you'll often call assist there anyway so maybe it doesn't have an effect that way - but holding two buttons is obviously an issue in itself.

Something like "hold HP to not pick up the chair" would mean you'd have to whiff an s.HP randomly to run over, which doesn't seem like a nice thing to do.

I don't even know whether this is for combos, neutral or both, though.

I do think "no auto pickup, press <X> to get the chair" will always be the less obtrusive way of handling it.

- Unblockable for another bar is a strange definition of "balanced", it's just 2 bars for a free hit instead of 1. And no, there is no fully-unblockable hit type in the SG engine, even if it weren't a horrible design decision.
I have no idea what this is talking about as I'm not following Beo at all, but a 2 bar Super which is fully unblock/jumpable isn't necessarily a horrible design decision imo.
Eg could be a grab that you can only do it while the opponent is in hitstun, which means you'd have to land a hit first and could only use it as a reset option where it's quite likely to get mashed out (and then you're 2 bars down).
.. Actually, that sounds too weak to me :X

s.HK doesn't use the chair so why would it change?
Fortune sHK :^)

Oh jeez it's obviously blodia punch... Jin punches people with his mech robots arm...

Beowulf punches people with grendels giant arm. It was the first thing unthought of like 2 seconds after seeing Grendel punch.

I was surprised to see the automatic pickup to be honest. But I imagine, knowing the Skullgirls team, that it is conducive to the gameplay.
I'm excited to try it out to see how it feels.

I was surprised to see the automatic pickup to be honest. But I imagine, knowing the Skullgirls team, that it is conducive to the gameplay.
I'm excited to try it out to see how it feels.
It may not be, it was just the first choice.

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
I don't really know how to go about not automatically picking up the chair, but I do hope it's an option because I'm probably going to be fighting chairless most of the time, like I usually fight headless as Fortune. What about holding two kicks to ignore it? It's a combination of buttons not usually used for anything. Probably a bad idea.
Honestly I agree with IsaVulpes on the assist call idea.

By the way what is the input for the chair toss?

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
I think it's better to give an imput to get the chair, not to ignore it. Kinda like Sekhmet

The problem lies in the fact that unlike Sekhmet or Fortune's head the chair isn't mobile.
I mean he could pick it up in a beat 'em up style. I don't think it'd be like a problem to stand near the chair and hit some buttons... but like what do I know?

If auto-pick-up was non-negotiable, I would suggest making it so you can't grab the chair mid-combo <just in case that wasn't already gonna be how it works>, then it would be easy to just hold sHP and then start a chain with another button, then you can still use Chairless-sHP in the combo and still have enough time to hold that button to make sure you don't just immediately pick it up after a combo.

I don't know though, I wouldn't make the chair pick up the automatic setting rather than the special input, but then i'm not a game dev. =P

Maybe a special command input to toggle auto-pickup "On" or "Off"? When the command is performed over the chair it picks it up but does not toggle the auto-pickup setting to "On".

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
I don't suppose the motion for picking the chair up could be having the stick in neutral, could it?
So if you want to pick it up you can just walk over it, but if you don't you just crouch or block or something.
I mean, that kind of accidentally worked for the snapout glitch in Marvel 3.

I don't suppose the motion for picking the chair up could be having the stick in neutral, could it?
So if you want to pick it up you can just walk over it, but if you don't you just crouch or block or something.
I mean, that kind of accidentally worked for the snapout glitch in Marvel 3.
IIRC isnt vega in street fighter like this? i could be wrong but he always seemed to be neutral or backflipping when picking his mask or claw up, the game didnt let him otherwise. How would this translate to SG, I wonder?

IIRC isnt vega in street fighter like this? i could be wrong but he always seemed to be neutral or backflipping when picking his mask or claw up, the game didnt let him otherwise. How would this translate to SG, I wonder?

Sorta like with Maya in the new KI where two of her flip special moves could allow her to pick up her knives if she goes over them. so then ... we would could give Beo a command roll ( could one hit that does less damage than a poke so like 200 maybe 100 and moves Beo forward ever so slightly. Sorta like Rufus's Glory Kick [:DF: :MK:] in looks. ) it's not going to be great like Captain America's in how far he rolls and he can't roll thru people but it could be an option for Beo to get his chair back in mid combo. Could that work?

Bang Camaro suggested being able to not pick up the chair if you don't want to, so how bout a question:
Millia Rage in GG has to crouch over her needle projectile from a neutral state in order to pick it up. Does that sound like a viable alternative?

Wouldn't that make impossible to use crouching normals in combos then though? Like, since Beowulf has an OTG grab when crouching that could screw up some stuff

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
...we could give Beo a command roll...

It should be pretty obvious that by this point they aren't going to animate a whole new move just to allow him to pick up his chair. Also, I'm pretty sure Mike's not looking for suggestions that require unique animations...ever...

Let's try to be realistic and at least suggest solutions that don't require new asset development lol

Reactions: Denizen
Yeah like I still want a command roll or dash but not for this specific purpose.

well gee sorry for thinking of something. Remind me next time not to step up and suggest something when Mike Z asks for ideas.

well gee sorry for thinking of something. Remind me next time not to step up and suggest something when Mike Z asks for ideas.

Sure thing, I'll be sure to remind you :D

But no really, we should all know by now how Mike feels about these sorts of things. I ain't sayin' it's a bad idea, I'm just sayin' that there isn't much point in suggesting things that will cost them extra time and money.

In an attempt to stay on topic, how about 22 as an input for picking up the chair?

Reactions: chickenwithtie
Isn't he going to need an animation to pick up the chair no matter what the movement is?
Or is it just going to teleport back to his back when you've done it right?

how about 22 as an input for picking up the chair?
"I wasn't teabagging. I was trying to pick up the chair." *Hurting deployed on the other end of the screen*

But in all seriousness, I agree with the idea of keeping it simple.
As for animations, I guess some frames from the chair toss could be used if "played in reverse". Dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.