• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Gaming General Discusison

At least Castlevania is finally safe again. I have great expectations for Bloodstained's gameplay.

At least Castlevania is finally safe again. I have great expectations for Bloodstained's gameplay.
Considering Iga is being hands on with it and he's super in touch with fans, I have high hopes for Bloodstained.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
As much as I miss the classic Castlevania gameplay style, I think Bloodstained looks great. Especially with classic mode being a thing that might be great.

I would love it if they added the vampire relics from the Mega64 video.

Especially the vahmpaiyah cerphohne.

It's a shame we're never going to see a KS or anything for a Koji/del Toro horror game since del Toro said he's done trying after THQ and now this. I feel bad for him.

It'd be amazing if all the existing PS1/2 Classics that are available on PS3 would become available for PS4, specifically if you own it already on your PSN account. I hope this is the case since i own Siren already on PSN haha

I've tracked everything I want, like Siren, down physically but yeah, it would be great if the PS2 classics you already bought just work on PS4 now. I mean, if it works, that's kind of something they should have gotten to before, but as long as it's not another part of PS Now, I'll take it.

They should use this to finally release Siren 2 in NA though.

Given how Sony is the current king of managing a digital library it doesn't surprise me that they are putting those games on PS4. I would like to see games like Breath of Fire V on the PSN ( I have the original PS2 version already) but there are a lot of games that need to get their second wind on the current gen.

PS2 classics actually does have a surprisingly decent collection of great niche games and fighting games; Art of Fighting, CvS2, Chulip, Dark Cloud, (The PS2 version of Deus Ex? Why?), Fatal Frame 1 through 3, God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Haunting Ground, Odin Sphere, the Raidou games, DDS, Nocturne, Persona 3 and 4, Shinobi, Siren, The Warriors, and many others. (Chulip and Siren? Where is Rule of Rose?)

Also Japan exclusively has Mark of the Wolves, a ton of KoF games, and I know they have Rival Schools, this needs to stop.

So yeah, it would be great for them to offer this service on PS4, a lot of those games deserve wider audiences than they've had, it's just as a PS4 owner I can say the only times I've turned it on this year were for Bloodborne and the SFV beta and it's kind of ridiculous that this wasn't part of the system since it is an option tha works. I fully understand why PS3 compatibility is out of the question, but they didn't even let us play PS1 games when every single other system in the family, PSP and Vita included have that feature.

Most of those listed were great sellers but titles like Rule of Rose and the more obscure titles, or ones that remain cult classics haven't made the transition yet. I don't know how that works but if it's like Nintendo, there may be other factors like the company that holds the IP slowing things down.

My only problem with Ps1/2 Classics on ps3 is that they have an extra frame of input lag, which makes them unsuitable for fighting games or shmups. For those kind of games, I prefer to just ebay/amazon the original copy.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Most of those listed were great sellers but titles like Rule of Rose and the more obscure titles,
Siren is on that list. Hell, Chulip is on that list, a game no one even knows exists, made by the same people as Rule of Rose (and Super Mario RPG). They pulled Haunting Ground, somehow wiggled through the Fatal Frame license crap and put up Siren, Rule of Rose is an odd one to be missing.

My only problem with Ps1/2 Classics on ps3 is that they have an extra frame of input lag, which makes them unsuitable for fighting games or shmups. For those kind of games, I prefer to just ebay/amazon the original copy.
I had the same problem with Parappa the Rapper. That' why I did opt for a PS2 with component cables so I could enjoy the older library while still being able to use my HDTVs.

Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect's female Commander Shepard)
What a weird citation.

Voice acting in the west has always been nonsense, something should definitely be done about the way it is handled.

On the other hand most western voice actors need to actually learn how to act. That's not a dig at anyone in particular involved in this, as I did not bother to actually look through the list of unionized members and as said something does need to be done about the way these contracts are handled regardless. But when you say #performancematters, then your performance should actually matter.

It's not intended to come off that way, it's more pointing out the irony of a statement being used in one issue because of a separate issue, which is a separate issue, hence the spoiler.

Being a VA, at least the way American companies handle it for games, sucks and is an actual problem that does need to be dealt with.

I just found the slogan ironic.

Reactions: Vadsamoht
Some rather strange news from Konami today. Eyewitnesses have seen a crapton of smoke pouring out of one of Konami's buildings in Japan. They and various commenters believe that there may have been a fire on Konami premises. The company's currently saying that there hasn't been a fire, but I'm not really sure which side is more trustworthy.

Konami... If there was a fire, why would they deny it? What else would the smoke be coming from? Is it coming from the worker's brains because they are trying to understand the decisions of the company?

The SAG-AFTRA thing is interesting, and I've been watching it from both sides. Some of the requests seem reasonable (e.g. Stunt pay) and others understandable if you think about them in a certain way but somewhat hard to argue for (developers not using their own staff).

It's also about complaining that VAs are not Hollywood level superstars when they are the most dispensable part of game dev cycle.

I want to care about their plight, but they are lobbying for higher salaries in a 3 day side project of a years long construction while the main build can take years to be completed all the while the programmers and designers are vastly underpaid.

That doesn't make the demand unreasonable though, only unrealistic.

I'm finding it harder to support this the more that is said, which is a shame because it is a real problem, but complaining about not being payed Hollywood tier is a little insane when people didn't even really pay attention to voice actors on any sort of large scale until the past several years, and even then, no one has ever bought a game because Troy Baker was in it. People go to movies because whatever actor is in it all the time. Now, that doesn't mean voice actors are disposable or interchangeable, but saying they are as important to a game being successful as someone who is actively part of why a movie is successful? That's delusional at best. And as I said earlier, a good nine out of every ten voice actors should actually do their job well before using a slogan that just becomes ironic in their hands despite being for a valid cause, and again, in fairness, it's entirely possible people that I just described aren't part of that union, I'm just saying.

We're also talking about an industry where the people who actually makes the games, programmers, are literally considered disposable since you fire everyone the moment crunch time is over these days.

And again, the way voice actors are treated, the way the contracts and payments work? Utter bullshit that needs to be fixed. But regardless of what you think of someone like Brad Pitt, or whoever, they actively sell tickets, you're not selling the game.

If games started being released with Resident Evil 1 level Voice Acting, but the rest of the game was as good as RE1 was (relatively speaking) I would still buy the shit out of those games.

Reactions: DukeMagus
Context not being particularly game related and a touchy subject in general, I just wanted to say that using this article as a citation in 2015 is pretty detrimental to any point you're trying to make.

Just a few tasteful quotes.
1. Nintendo of America, Inc.: Manufactures Pokémon, Game-Boys, and equipment for satanic video games.

10. Hasbro Interactive: Official U.S. distributor of Pokémon (abbreviation for “Pocket Monsters”), the killing game designed for toddlers beginning at 2 and 3 years old; Dungeons and Dragons, the medieval satanic and magic fantasy game; Risk II, a “ruthless quest for world domination". One of the Hasbro Board members is Paul Wolfowitz, the co-head of George W. Bush’s team of foreign policy advisors.

Yet Littleton was only the most notorious of at least eight similar such incidents carried out by child killers, “Manchurian Children,” who learned their deadly skills from video games, and their scenarios from Hollywood. The brutal acts of these children exemplify a new phenomena in the world. It is the “New Violence,” as Democratic Presidential pre-candidate Lyndon LaRouche was the first to precisely characterize it at the time (see box). It is the use of Nintendo-style games, and related means, to transform young children and adolescents, as well as law-enforcement personnel into “Samurai”-style programmed killers.
And I'm not saying anything about what they're trying to enforce with this, I just found it shocking we are actually back here after 15 years and that this is still something you can use as a basis of an argument about video games in society and no one even raises an eyebrow.
I'm an egalitarian, and I'm not trying to talk about the actual event here, just how nonsensical perception of video games has apparently managed to stay.

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
I went to the Symphony of the Goddesses in Providence last night. Amazing show, the people in PPAC actually moved the three of us up twice. (my dad bought the cheapest he could.) But it was a great show, the Wind Waker and Link Between Worlds segments had me grinning like a dork. But I definitely say there could have been more of the games shown. Also a Groose cosplayer was there.

I heard something about a new Silent Hill game, but I haven't played any of the previous ones so I haven't been following the news all that closely. Last I heard there was something about it being exclusive to one of the consoles or something.

I heard something about a new Silent Hill game, but I haven't played any of the previous ones so I haven't been following the news all that closely. Last I heard there was something about it being exclusive to one of the consoles or something.
Basically, they announced it with a really ingenious teaser game. To actually know the game was an announcement for Silent Hills, you had to do this crazy set of steps that involved decoding a set of numbers with the word "tree" and saying a guy's name into a microphone after taking exactly 10 steps during midnight.
Because of the community working together so closely to beat the teaser game (called P.T.), of course a lot of people were hyped for the next Silent Hill game. Honestly it was an ingenious way to get people hyped for your game, since a lot of people were very invested in beating it. Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Torro were both taken on to the project, which just made people even more excited.

Then Konami decides to kick Hideo Kojima out of the company and to cancel Silent Hills. People were outraged and disappointed. This tweet is referencing what a great game it could have been. I didn't (and still don't) like horror games and Silent Hill, but even I was excited.

Last edited: