• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Gaming General Discusison

I just realized. Platinum and Capcom.

Viewtiful Joe "Not the DS one" 3

Mikami and his team are no longer at Platinum.

I finally managed to 1 credit clear R-Type today, which means I've now 1cc'd the original holy trinity of horizontal shmups (Gradius 1, Darius 1, and R-Type 1).

1cc'd Darius last week, and it was an amazing experience. I actually had practiced it on the upper route (for those who don't know, Darius is notable for letting you choose your next stage after each boss, like this), but on a whim I decided to take the bottom route, and managed to beat the entire game on one credit blind. Incredibly clutch, and was on the edge of defeat at all times, but it was incredible to pull out that victory with no memorization.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Mikami and his team are no longer at Platinum.
Which is sad because Mikami was behind my favorite Clover game "God Hand". I've yet to play anything like it.

So I recently purchased a set of component cables for my Playstation 2. Talk about breathing life into an old console.
Everything isn't as blurry as it used to be trying to use composite cables on an HD tv. Metal Gear Solid 2, Odin Sphere, God Hand; it all looks great.

So I recently purchased a set of component cables for my Playstation 2. Talk about breathing life into an old console.
Everything isn't as blurry as it used to be trying to use composite cables on an HD tv. Metal Gear Solid 2, Odin Sphere, God Hand; it all looks great.
Odin Sphere is still best played on a ps3, since doing so removes most of the slow down (most noticeable during Odette fight). IIRC there was a ps2 re-issue in some regions that had a lot of the slow down fixed.

Odin Sphere is still best played on a ps3, since doing so removes most of the slow down (most noticeable during Odette fight). IIRC there was a ps2 re-issue in some regions that had a lot of the slow down fixed.
Sadly I don't own a PS3 so this is what I'm going with for now. Not a bad tradeoff and so far I have noticed no noticeable slowdown on any of the games I'm playing although in Odin Sphere's case it's a fresh save so there aren't a lot of things going on at one time this early in the game.

idk if this should go here, but Nintendo's new president has been announced.
It's Tatsumi Kimishima. Most probably won't know the name unless you're pretty knowledgeable on the business side of Nintendo, but he has of management experiece and has been with the company for a while now. He was even NoA president before Reggie was. Kimishima has said that he has no plans for any major changes from Iwata's policies, and sees to strengthen them further. He has also said that he plans to oversee the company administratively, while Genya Takeda and Shigeru Miyamoto oversee the development of hardware and software, respectively, as this where he feels individual strengths are. To go along with their positions, Takeda and Miyamoto have the newly made titles of "Technology Fellow" and "Creative Fellow", respectively.

Furthermore, Kimishima will only hold his position for one year before being reelected, in the event that his leadership happensto prove to be not what Nintendo needs from its president.

I don't find Kimishima to be a bad choice at all, personally. No one has the pure warmth and enthusiasm that Iwata had, but I can't help but if Kimishima will be willing to take up the reins of Iwata's public role, or if he'll delegate such appearances to other employees. At the very least, I feel that Kimishima's experience in management will keep Nintendo steady, especially since he intends to continue with Iwata's policies.

Reactions: KaboomKid
I'm happy he is planning to not change Iwata's policies, but obviously, it just won't be the same. Iwata isn't someone who can be replaced easily.

yes, but how well can he fight against the demons of Nintendo that are it's shareholders?

yes, but how well can he fight against the demons of Nintendo that are it's shareholders?
Well, Pokemon Go is happening...

Well, Pokemon Go is happening...
Pokemon Go has been in the cards for over two years now, Ishihara confirmed that himself.

Reactions: Aden
Sony's pre-TGS conference is in 15 minutes if anyone cares.

SFV, Persona 5, Yakuza, Vanillaware stuff should all be absent, and Nier 2 won't be talked about until next year, so you might not miss anything important that isn't Last Guardian.

Emphasis on the might. Hell, I'm probably flat out forgetting things. Edit: Like Bloodborne expansion.
Push that fighting game deal damnit, Itsuno isn't do anything, give us Rival Schools.

Last edited:
News post, was going to do video links but it's after 4 here, you know what to look for at least if you're interested.
Bloodborne first up, expansion shown off called "The Old Hunters" showed off some new weapons and what appeared to be a more beasty beast mode, release on November 24th, box with full game in December.

Some golf game where you play as Miis, title is in Japanese so I have no idea.

Uncharted 4 in March.

Gravity Rush PS4 December 10th. Give me Siren god damnit.

Gravity Rush 2 2016, is still not Siren. Seems PS4 exclusive. Gravity Rush animation project is happening, also not Siren.
For Honor, the only thing of note Ubisoft has offered in years, has multiple types of Japanese warriors.

Jack the Ripper is an Assassin's Creed. Weird.
Yakuza HD thing with new stuff, PS4/PS3.

Yakuza 6 for PS4 will be shown at TGS, releases in Autumn. Big surprise coming this week.

Project Diva PS4

Another Gundam arena Vita game that will not be localized.
KING OF FUCKING FIGHTERS XIV HOLY SHIT

One Piece game.
Toukiden 2: Attack on Titan edition

Nioh: "is not Ninja Gaiden because is Samurai" edition. Game looks fine though.
Chibi FF thing

Star Ocean Integrity and Faithfulness in February.

SaGa is in fact alive. New game in 2016.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD Final Chapter Prologue. I can't make that shit up.

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 PS4/3/Vita

Dragon Quest Builders
13 Sentinels Aegis Rim, new Vanillaware game. Sadly the footage is pretty much nothing, expect more this week I would imagine.

Resident Evil Umbrella Core, which is a multiplayer team shooter. Despite how sick I felt typing that the trailer looks alright. Though they introduced this with "We're making a 20th anniversary logo and this game will totally be worthy of it" So, yeah.
Bringing the anime back with Exist Archive.

New Daganrompa PS4/Vita, trailer ended with "and more", to be revealed soon, "something you will never imagine".
Obligatory indie games montage.

Call of blips 7: the reckoning: the return: chronicles PS4 not exclusive, please understand, "it's 3 entire games in one though including a film "no wah" experience" (I can't fucking believe they actually said this) we already used Gimme Shelter so have Paint it Black edition

Playstation Now is now officially out and I can't believe this is supposed to be exciting or a good thing in any way. Fuck you. Also, why is Street Fighter IV advertised in it? There is a PS4 version that is actually better than the PS3 version now... and you're streaming the game, how does that not mess with multiplayer? Does PS Now have multiplayer? Please stop.

Virtual Reality is the new thing to be excited about, are you excited yet? I hope you have your Playstation Move controller ready.

PS4 pricedrop to $350.

My penis cannot possibly get more erect, holy shit.
Every single annoucement was punch after punch after punch and each one looks good.
I could rant about how radical each game is but I have to check messages before work.

BUT HOLY FUCKING SHIT 2.8
HOLY FUCKING SHIT AQUA
HOLY FUCKING SHIT YAKUZA PREQUEL WITH NISHIKI RISING TO POWER

Last I saw of the game it looked like it could use some polish, nothing wrong with delaying it unless it turns out to just be awful, which I doubt.

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim, new Vanillaware game. Sadly the footage is pretty much nothing, expect more this week I would imagine.
What is there is worth posting in my opinion.
As usual, the art looks amazing and trademark Vanillaware. Will be waiting with baited breath for more to come from this. And if possible I will also write a very stern letter to George Kamitami asking him to make blocking a dedicated button.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
I don't think anyone needs to say the art in a Vanillaware game is great, but yeah the OST seems nice.

Just kind of waiting for any sort of idea what actual gameplay will look like, was hoping there would be more this week.

Have they been showing off the new Odin Sphere stuff at all?

I do like the change from fantasy to modern settings. And the mech looks cool if a little stiff in the skyline shots. Looking at the trailer again, it looks like it's selling me on an animated series rather than a game. That's more a product of the lack of gameplay footage, but also just because of the presentation of the trailer in general. We're getting introduced to what I assume to be our pilots and their supporting cast which includes other students and a doctor/scientist of some kind. It feels like an opening to me.

The glowing bar-code tattoos are also interesting.

I'm also trying to imagine if this game will revisit the episodic nature of Odin Sphere and follow the mecha anime formula of monsters of the week. That'd be cool. My heads all over the place right now, Vanillaware is one of the rare companies that has done no wrong by me, even if their games have some design aspects I don't necessarily like.

The episodic nature of Odin Sphere was probably my favorite thing about its gameplay. Hope more games do some interesting stuff with that.

Speaking of Vanillaware, someone recently told me that an enormous amount of dialogue was cut from the English release of Muramasa, and that the localization is practically a different story. Not sure if true (hearsay, after all) but I feel like I should check out the original script sometime soon, I always felt disappointed in how unambitious Muramasa's story felt compared to Odin Sphere.

it looks like it's selling me on an animated series rather than a game
That was why I didn't bother going to post it, the game is gorgeous but there is nothing giving us an idea of what the game would be like, and everyone already guessed it was sci-fi from the tease a month or so ago.

@Squire Grooktook How was Muramasa? Been thinking about grabbing the Vita version.

@Squire Grooktook How was Muramasa? Been thinking about grabbing the Vita version.

I only played the Wii version, which has a lot less then the Vita remake, but it's a solid little hack and slash. I played it a while ago and wasn't too critical of it, but the combat is definitely a lot more involved and fluid then Odin Sphere. Has some fun boss fights too.

I only played the Wii version, which has a lot less then the Vita remake, but it's a solid little hack and slash. I played it a while ago and wasn't too critical of it, but the combat is definitely a lot more involved and fluid then Odin Sphere. Has some fun boss fights too.
I also only have the Wii version but it's still one of my favorite titles on the console. Encounters feel nice and are over relatively quickly, it feels good to flit around the screen landing a few hits before switching targets. Sword smithing was really good because it kept each fight interesting as I constantly unlocked new swords and found which ones had decent synergy with each other as the challenge kept escalating. I still have yet to finish my Shigurui mode run though. 1 hit point is difficult to negotiate.

Reactions: Aden
fire emblem dissapoint sister.jpg

Oh man but what about all those new Silent Hill, Castlevania, Metal Gear and Bomberman games that were totally ever going to happen again?

Oh wait.

I just hope they give the Contra license to M2, Wayforward, or Treasure.
I don't know how I forgot Contra, but yeah, I'm willing to bet quite a lot that they're just going to sit on all their (or purchased) IPs for the rest of time.

I wonder if MGR 2 will ever happen now, kind of doubt it.

Kind of sad now that I think about it, because Arcsys also did a pretty great job with Contra Hardcorps Uprising. The game was rough around the edges in some ways (that fucking default peashooter...) but it was a pretty fresh and fun new direction for the series (except the art which sucked). A sequel that polished the concept further could have been a real masterpiece IMO.