• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Gaming General Discusison

tumblr_nyxrc4Zbo11tgs0mmo1_1280.jpg

i just love the update picture too. Him just fanning himself with cash, like yeah I'm fucking taking all of your sweet sweet cash you fuckers.

Tbh, I know Double Fine screwed up with Broken Age, but looks like they might be going the Indiv route of asking for a large amount to go along with another large quantity given to them by their publisher. I'll give it hope for now

Tbh, I know Double Fine screwed up with Broken Age, but looks like they might be going the Indiv route of asking for a large amount to go along with another large quantity given to them by their publisher. I'll give it hope for now
I just don't have any good will left for Tim Schafer or any project he's a part of. And I've bought Psychonauts on so many consoles it boggles the mind. He's almost become the western equivalent of Kenji Inafune, almost. This could be the project that does it.

I swam across the ocean in Xenoblade Chronicles X to see if I could
I could.
This game knows me and what I want.

But did you do it while chasing a glowing red ball that was getting away from you?

But did you do it while chasing a glowing red ball that was getting away from you?
Of course.
the friend ball is my friend
it shows me the way to go

I just don't have any good will left for Tim Schafer or any project he's a part of. And I've bought Psychonauts on so many consoles it boggles the mind. He's almost become the western equivalent of Kenji Inafune, almost. This could be the project that does it.

Inafune doesn't demonizes his customers for thinking differently

He's more like the worst mix of Hideki Kamiya and Yu Suzuki

Of course.
the friend ball is my friend
it shows me the way to go

Well, he is the best GPS we'll ever have.

Not to drag the Schafer thing on too long, but my real concern is actually that Psychonauts 2 will get funded and won't be a complete mess, and then people use it as the justification for every other nostalgia-trip crowdfund that Schafer dreams up for the next decade regardless of demonstrated capability to deliver.

Wonder what he's doing right now? *Thinks*

2127990-tim-schafer-reading-my-story-2.jpg

Tim_Schafer_Money_5.jpg

CVWwXOmUEAA_dfh.jpg

Tim_Schafer_Money_3.jpg

Tim-Schafer-xerox-640x360.jpg

Tim_Schafer_Money_8.gif

I haven't payed attention, is he still doing pictures like that?

I haven't payed attention, is he still doing pictures like that?
I wouldnt know, I'm one of the thousaunds he blocked on twitter after the sock debacle.

Could someone explain to me what exactly happened with Tim Schafer? From what I know he poorly managed his money with Broken Age, which is why people don't trust him, but I'm not sure if that's the only thing that happened.
Were the pictures meant to insult his backers? I don't know the context to them but it certainly looks like that is what he's trying to do.

Humble NEOGEO 25th Anniversary Bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/

Humble NEOGEO 25th Anniversary Bundle
Celebrate NEOGEO's 25th Anniversary with a bundle of games making their PC debut!

We're proud to bring you all of these SNK classics in their exclusive debuts for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Plus, if you use Firefox or Chrome, you can play several of these titles without even needing to download them! Go ahead and try the demo by clicking "Play" below the box art above!

Pay what you want for ART OF FIGHTING 2, FATAL FURY SPECIAL, KING OF THE MONSTERS, METAL SLUG 2, SAMURAI SHODOWN II, SENGOKU 3, THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2000, and BASEBALL STARS 2.

Pay more than the average price to also receive THE LAST BLADE, PULSTAR, METAL SLUG, METAL SLUG 3, SHOCK TROOPERS, NEO TURF MASTERS, THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH FINAL EDITION, TWINKLE STAR SPRITES, and the Neo Geo 25th Anniversary Soundtrack.

Pay $10 or more for all of that plus SHOCK TROOPERS: 2nd SQUAD, SAMURAI SHODOWN V Special, GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES, METAL SLUG X, and THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH.

Pay $40 or more for all of that plus an NEOGEO 25th Anniversary Ltd. Ed. METAL SLUG SV-001 T-Shirt.

My god.

That's pretty cool, sad '98 and '02 are Steam only though, I already own them but having all of these games on a hard drive would be nice.

Curious where RCTWorld is going to go now. On one hand, the stuff I've seen actually looks like a step up from RCT3, but on the other, the date was set back from its original while it's getting a lot of shit. And by shit, that's not including the No Limits posers telling how they're program is the best and how professional engineers use it while RCT users are a bunch of casuals who can't afford a program that costs about any other program.

Could someone explain to me what exactly happened with Tim Schafer? From what I know he poorly managed his money with Broken Age, which is why people don't trust him, but I'm not sure if that's the only thing that happened.
Were the pictures meant to insult his backers? I don't know the context to them but it certainly looks like that is what he's trying to do.
its kind of a long story and sort of involves a hashtag that's somewhat forbidden on here.

but let's just say, most people like to refer to him by his anagram moreso for his attitude than his ability to make games.

Could someone explain to me what exactly happened with Tim Schafer?
I didn't follow any of it closely so if someone corrects something I say you should take their word for it.

Basically Double Fine made a Kickstarter for "Double Fine Adventure" a game and a documentary, the goal to cover development was $400,000 and it made $3.3 million in that month. Tim took several pictures of himself with the cash, gloating I suppose, it was one of if not the first big crowd funding successes for video games. I don't know for a fact where the money went, so I'm not going to say, but the 3.3 million was spent and as far as the less than $400,000 game was concerned it was only half finished. So they ran a second crowd funding campaign to make the second half of a game they had already raised 840% of the funds for. It was successful as far as I know, I know the second half came out.

Now Psychonauts 2 has a Kickstarter for $3.33 million, which honestly seems more like a fuck you more than anything, and he may or may not be taking those pictures again, I don't know, which is why I asked here.

I am speaking for myself now, but I imagine I'm not alone in this, but there is certainly some frustration from Lab Zero fans due to having just watched Indivisible struggle to make in over a month's time what Psychonauts 2 made in a couple of days, which sounds petty, but when you consider Lab Zero delivering quite a bit of free work on top of upholding all the promises they made for their IGG campaign which if I recall correctly had them working for less than minimum wage? And take Double Fine's record into account, the feelings become rather obvious.

There is also a stigma on crowd funding video games in general due to campaigns like Double Fine's, others using it as an interest gauge for their already existent publisher backing and Mighty Number 9. Before anyone thinks I'm stating my opinion towards MN9, I'm not, I have never paid any attention to the campaign or the results, but there are a lot of people who are upset about how the game has supposedly turned out and feel that it turning out poorly means crowd funding is a foolish notion.

Edit; Just going to add that I liked Psychonauts, but I honestly think that this is abusing your fanbase, and that alone is unsettling.

Last edited:
There's a brief explanation in the twitter thread, but modders often run games through programs that display the game code in a readable form. Basically what it comes down to is that DotEmu (as hired by SNK) took an unlicensed emulator and the rom for the games, packaged them up and sold them as their own 'port'.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Honestly, you're better off playing that NeoGeo stuff (except for the KOF ports, which are *actual* ports and well worth having at that price) in Mame. They're not so much "ports" as poorly coded roms packaged in a poorly coded emulator. I'd only buy if you absolutely want to have something approaching an "official copy", but I wouldn't actually play them. Mames emulation is actually better, hilariously.

Last edited:
Speaking of common Emus, I remember when I tried the "demo" for Blizzard's old Rock n Roll Racing "port" to the Pc that it ran on a Zsnes Emu (which, in my opinion was the better snes emu)

Does anyone not just use Fightcade at this point? '98 and '02 have the Ultimate Match editions and those are great, but what's the point otherwise?

so i'm still playing Xenoblade Chronicles X
i'm over in the forest area, faffing around to my general merriment. I decide, like any normal Xenoblade player would, to jump off a cliff into the lake below. While I'm swimming around, I see this big old derelict robot dude just chillaxing in the middle of the water. As I'm swimming past him, I think to myself "man if that dude doesn't come to life and try and kill me I'll be really disappointed."
so naturally homeboy just gets up like I was talking shit and starts trying to roast me
this is honestly the best game i've ever played

During GDC 2015 Tim made a colossal tool of himself by doing a comedy routine involving a sock puppet while he was hosting.
It's basically taking pot shots at all the controversy brought up when GamerGate was in full swing.

Reactions: Meow-Professor
Does anyone not just use Fightcade at this point? '98 and '02 have the Ultimate Match editions and those are great, but what's the point otherwise?
Well I picked it up so I could get extra copies of Metal Slug games and the Kof steam games to give to friends, and I've never really been exposed to these old NeoGeo games and wanted to try em out.

During GDC 2015 Tim made a colossal tool of himself by doing a comedy routine involving a sock puppet while he was hosting.
and anybody that made any kind of comment about that routine that wasn't positive who actually referred to him by name on twitter got blocked by him as well.

so, regardless of your stance, his needless mass blocking of people just gives him the impression that he only expects compliments for whatever he does.

the impression that he only expects compliments for whatever he does
I got that impression when the second Broken Age campaign happened, and felt it was reinforced by Psychonauts 2's campaign.

I like to think that, at least, because he either lives in a bubble where he is perfect and anyone who says otherwise or doesn't buy into his nonsense is a troll, or he actively loves to abuse people who like him. Neither are positive, but I'd rather believe someone thinks they're doing the right thing than intentionally extorting people because they can.

I think both the Gamergate "movement" and the response to it are perfect examples of how people really can be up their own ass about their beliefs and that they can't even comprehend that what they're saying or doing could possibly be wrong, despite the fact they're unwilling to actually hear anyone else out.

Well I picked it up so I could get extra copies of Metal Slug games and the Kof steam games to give to friends, and I've never really been exposed to these old NeoGeo games and wanted to try em out.
Metal Slug (particularly the first one, though 2 and 3 are solid as well) is a masterpiece. A lot of people don't know about Sengoku 3 though, quite a masterful beat em up. Twinkle Star Sprites, Pulstar, and the first Shock Troopers game are also great shmups,.Twinkle Star Sprites being an incredible player vs player/shmup hybrid.

You are still probably better off playing them in Mame though, the emulation is better then anything DotEmu ever stole and threw together. If you want to have a technically official copy though, I can understand that.

Just don't credit-feed any of these things though, for the love of all that is holy.

Last edited:
I only really credit until I get the hang of a schmup so I can play well. First play through is always a credit feed. And then I try to git gud so to speak.

After one hell of a year Kojima's contract has actually finished, within a minute of him announcing that we got this.

Can't say I'm surprised.
Continue to get rekt Konami.
Best of luck Kojima, don't screw this up.

considering Sony is making money and Kojima can make money for Sony, I think he's in pretty good hands.