• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

Fucking Rest In Piece Megaman, MN9 shit trailer, animated series, no actual game anytime soon- I actually legitimately believe this is it guys. I think Megaman is actually 100% dead. Only thing that gave him life support was Smash, and unless Nintendo buys him out, that's not lasting long.

Rippedy Dip this ain't hippidy hip.

Megaman is actually 100% dead.
After how Capcom handled the 25th Anniversary, it was clear that Megaman's heart would belong to the fans:

Granted, I still think I'm going to enjoy M#9 based on my experience with the demo, but it's definitely not a Megaman game. I'm glad fans are stepping up to do what Capcan't.

Reactions: Shockdingo
And who knows, the animated series might be good. IIRC the Batte Network Animated wasnt so bad (?)

Come on guys.

At least.........

At least we have a SWOOD new animated MM series, right?

Haha..........

Wild+cake+spaghetti.jpg

It's not even really pasta. It's a cake.

I still kind of think it's sad how Mighty No. 9 turned out to be. I mean the game isn't out yet but this and everything else that's happened was literally just a huge warning sign. Well we hopeful, for a time at least. Well actually some people might still be hopeful and that's okay too.

And imo, Azure Striker Gunvolt looked and played better. I played the demo and that was very fun.

Game design is subjective, so I'm not going to insist on this, but a small rant: I was really hyped for Gunvolt, and for me it turned out to be complete trash and one of the biggest disappointments in a while.

-Lightning tagging system feels convoluted and awkward for the sake of being gimmicky. The X/Z series controls just barely remained elegant despite the fact that you often had to hold 2 buttons at once (shot/chage + dash) while tapping a third (jump), but the need to hold on to lightning now adds a third button to intermittently hold while tapping jump and thus plummets the game into the depths of TOO MANY BUTTONS arrgh. Add to that the fact that lightning actually affects your jump arc and you have a recipe for pure confusion.

This might be acceptable except for the fact that the lightning tagging system doesn't really do anything interesting. It doesn't open up new strategies or risk/reward venues or allow you to do anything particularly cool or new...it's literally just gimmicky and convoluted for the sake of being gimmicky and convoluted. It adds nothing of value on top of being a complete pain in the ass.

-Some of the worst level design I've seen in a Mega Man game. It might be an exaggeration to say that everything was just a series of bland halls filled with the same boring tanky soldier dude and flying probes to impede your path, but it sure felt like it.

-Bosses are some of the cheesiest I've ever seen, and would be almost complete trial and error if not for some of the options the game gives you that make it super hard to die. For example, the telegraphing on Viper/Daytona's slide is so low that it's barely reactable if you don't know his pattern, and that's not even getting into the boss super attacks which are basically designed to be memorizer bullshit. I guess some people like memorizing trial and error bullshit, but I hate it. It's the opposite of what I look for in a good boss fight.

-One good song in the game (the intro stage) and it's pretty much on 30 second loop. Rest is mediocre at best.

-Other things I could mention, like certain control elements being changed from MMX that don't really make sense, or how the lightning tagging system makes your shots feel weak and enemies too tanky (bad idea in an action game), but you get the picture.

hate hate hate

Last edited:
Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Man, all of the lost potential of this game makes me cry.

Like an anime fan on prom night.

Reactions: CountofBleck
Say what you will, This one is a matter of lack of communications between east and west more than another one to put at Inafune's debt list.

Even the Inti Creates' CEO hated the result

And as stuck in the development hell as it is, Inafune is trying to do something FULL SCALE. Not like a certain company that after shoveling merchandise for almost a decade, decided that the way to revive the mascot that gave them money and fans for decade was with a goddamned mobile cashgrab game AGAIN and an anime that only with its synopsis butchered the original in such a profane way that only the bizarre brazillian comic can compete.

yeah, but if I were a fan of this franchise, I'd rather have nothing.

but in defense of the cartoon, I am interested. I've always liked the other incarnations of Megaman that stray from the norm ie, EXE

For the cartoon I can give it a shot, I just don't really like the design. If the show is good I can forgive it, it's just that it's partially too busy for me and I don't know why they couldn't do a slightly updated update of the classic look to something less busy. Look at Classic -> Rockman MegaMix and Smash Bros updated lines and piping for parts of the suit. I LOVE MMX (that's even how I got my screen name) so I'm not against changing up the designs, but I just am not feeling what we've seen.

Fingers crossed on that.

I'm happy to hear that the Japan side of the dev team didn't approve that atrocious trailer at least.

yeah, but if I were a fan of this franchise, I'd rather have nothing.

but in defense of the cartoon, I am interested. I've always liked the other incarnations of Megaman that stray from the norm ie, EXE

They haven't given this one a new subtitle. That's part of the problem: unless they decide to call it "mega man aki", it'll be tied to the classic, just like the ruby spears crap

Reactions: Dragonage2ftw
I think it'll be fine so long as it's a good series.

like, even if it doesnt get an official name, fans will give it one. thats just how the way these things go.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Well, not that we got some trailer bashing out of the way, lets review some gameplay and remember why a bunch of us are here

Well, not that we got some trailer bashing out of the way, lets review some gameplay and remember why a bunch of us are here

That red thing seems like a blatant win button.

Well all I can say is that I like the mechanic they implemented with Ray's health bar. At least it's a nod to the lore.

Boss fight looked fun. Spamming dash looked meh.

My god they need to polish the textures or something.

But if they dont spam the whole time, how will we cater to professional speedrunning?

I unno, a constant superspeed dash might make it look like an anime

and we all know what DS thinks about anime

I unno, a constant superspeed dash might make it look like an anime

and we all know what DS thinks about anime
They love it and think that it's a pretty legit hobby?

Hey guys~! I went to check the game on my steam....

AND I GOT IT EARLY?!

ScreenCap-103.png

ohhhhh... oh

It was just MegaMan X this whole time...

oh...

You know, this whole ordeal has been world shattering.

Like, we trusted this guy. We KNEW that he was being mistreated by Crapcom. We KNOW that he's talented. We KNEW that our thirst for a new MM game was real.

Now it's like, what's even real?

Reactions: Professor Icepick

Like, we trusted this guy. We KNEW that he was being mistreated by Crapcom. We KNOW that he's talented. We KNEW that our thirst for a new MM game was real.

Matt from Yovideogames recently described him as "Snake Oil Salesman Extraordinary" and I don't think I've had a chuckle that good in a while.

Reactions: Professor Icepick

OK, first of all dial back on the Crapcom. :V

Second off the whole mistreated deal? Sorry to say but that's more fanon than anything else.

The main thing I'll point out is that during the whole Megaman Legends 3 deal Inafune left to create his own company and then tried to get Capcom to continue the game thru them. That had a hand in its cancellation.

I'm not saying that Capcom is completely innocent in things but peddling this image that Inafune was 'done wrong' or is the little guy isn't the whole truth.

Sent from my SM-G928R4 using Tapatalk

Fitting Song for the game

sniff... now I need to play some FallOut.

It has better Robots in that game too.

As with basically any debate between two people, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. The Mega Man franchise wasn't getting used very often by Capcom even before Inafune's departure, and has done very little besides license it out since, and things are looking no different for the near future. On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if this was a sort of Schafer-esque situation, where at first glance it appears that a publisher is subverting the vision or work of a talented game dev for money, but in reality, they were justified in their decisions all along. I won't say anything about Inafune personally, because I don't know him personally, but I can say with some amount of certainty that the man is very bad at management in all forms. At the very least, I don't feel that I can trust Comcept to do much of anything at this point.

Reactions: @J-Boogie
Inafune is also not the main man behind Mega Man. He was neither the main game designer, programmer, or artist for many of the most notable games. If anything, Akira Kitamura is probably the one who deserves the title of his creator.

The same can be said of Iga, who was not even involved with Castlevania till Symphony of The Night, and even then he was on a minor role on that title.