• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

The same can be said of Iga, who was not even involved with Castlevania till Symphony of The Night, and even then he was on a minor role on that title.
Man whatever I think of the Bloodstained footage, "Assistant Director, Programmer, Scenario Writer" is not a minor role.

Man whatever I think of the Bloodstained footage, "Assistant Director, Programmer, Scenario Writer" is not a minor role.
Oops. I could have sworn he was just "assistant programmer" or something like that on SOTN, with his first job on the series also being that of a minor assistant on Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. My bad, I'll have to check my sources more carefully in the future, lest I spread misinformation.

Either way, I am fairly fond of his management of the series post-SOTN. And I have comparatively greater confidence in him, at this point.

Still though, my point remains that neither men are the sole creative forces behind their respective series. Both were group efforts. Keiji may have done some very important work for the Mega Man series on a whole, but being touted as the mastermind is kind of a marketing ploy at best IMO.

Last edited:
I like how, by default, Ray just takes recoverable damage every 3 seconds or so. Instead of it being "you're in this mode that you initiated and now you are more powerful, but the downside is that you also take recoverable damage every 3 seconds"

It just encourages the same kind of "just attack and press dash whenever you see an enemy" play as MNo9, except now you have melee! :^I

Here, have a Jim Sterling video

.... this is hard to watch. While I like story and what not in my action games, this one seems to be really missing the mark...

edit: Finished watching it. That was funny at the end XD So, not much has changed since I played it.. at least stage wise. I'll pick it up as som'in else to play but the VO work is pretty annoying.

Last edited:
Apparently the game is getting trashed in many reviews.

Not that I'm surprised. :P

y'know, I remember being told I was stupid for pushing Half Genie Hero, told that Wayforward was trying to cheat people out of money because they were covering the cost to pay for console ports.
I remember when I couldn't see a video for any other kickstarter without a tacked on "but also don't forget to donate to Mighty Number 9!"

and after all this, the only way I can sum up my feelings about the reulting matter is this:
164d2b5c0e7caccca2cb4164c324ce50.jpg

schadenfreude

Last edited:
Now hold up, Ninja. Before you try and bring up ReCore into this I'm going to point out that people are actually finding it fun and Armature studios are the ones working on it, not Comcept.

Reactions: Midiman
Now hold up, Ninja. Before you try and bring up ReCore into this I'm going to point out that people are actually finding it fun and Armature studios are the ones working on it, not Comcept.
okay...

sigh...

i was just about to... alright. thank you

I don't see anything wrong with ReCore...

dunno what you're on about dude

Mighty No 9 bosses are kind of sad. The game looks like the visual polish/etc of a fangame or someone's beefed up computer science project.

I actually was screaming when I found out Dynablade's or whichever power makes you slightly invulnerable so you can just press it alot during Trinity fight. why

Dashing into people gives you special power back ( which is ok ) until you realize you can tank enemies to get superb damage off on them

????? this game ???????

agree to disagree

i'm not saying that the game is bad... buuuuut... it's not a game that i would have a ton of fun playing...

and you know i am a little... worried over Inafune helping out on this no matter how small his role was.

I'm more surprised they didn't fix up the scene when you goto.. uhm.. fix?... the data of the Mighty No. Whatever after the fight. It just jars right into the cutscene. Might of worked for .hack, it still doesn't always look nice. Specially right after a huge Boss battle like these have in a platform action.

Well, may it do well enough to get a sequel, without crowd funding this time.

Even if it's mediocre, it's still better than every mega man game capcom released since Inafune left the company.

Looks like some people's code's for PSN are not working now and they received 2 Retro DLCs instead 1 Retro DLC and 1 Ray DLC.

Looks like some people's code's for PSN are not working now and they received 2 Retro DLCs instead 1 Retro DLC and 1 Ray DLC.

latest

That's livid.

and you know i am a little... worried over Inafune helping out on this no matter how small his role was.

He "helped out" on Mega Man X as well, and he certainly didn't make that a bad game. Game development, especially with a large development team, is a complex subject, it's not all the work of one guy.

Even if it's mediocre, it's still better than every mega man game capcom released since Inafune left the company.

I don't remember when exactly Inafune officially departed, so which ones were those? The Zx games and 9, 10 are quite good. Wouldn't want those dissed.

The game looks like the visual polish/etc of a fangame or someone's beefed up computer science project.

I have seen basement made doujin games that look and play better.
sprites or bust.

Reactions: KaboomKid
I have seen basement made doujin games that look and play better.
sprites or bust.

Street Fighter x Megaman is a good example. Made by one fan and Capcom's like, "Let's make that shit free".

Just heard that codes are being given out.
Here, have a Jim Sterling video
best $20 I ever put into anything. :/

Apparently this game is bricking Wii U's.

Apparently the game crashed on their own stream.

Apparently it was delayed on 360 due to a last minute bug.

This game is a disaster.

4 million dollars folks.

I honestly never trust reviewers. I'd rather play the game first since they rarely know what they're talking about. Just look at the games IGN has given 10's to. All of them are either sponsored GOTY games or Classics which genuinely don't deserve a 10 (like Pokemon Red and Blue). They seem like the grade with public perception in mind. Like, honestly, if you're putting faith in big website game reviews, you've got your priorities wrong.

Like, read the IGN review. He says that, unlike regular Megaman games, boss abilities rarely are used in levels and that the Buster solves most problems. I literally just played through MMX4 with nothing but the buster for everything. He's complaining about what is a mainstay in all MM titles, your base weapon solves most problems. This is because if they make a segment too hard without one ability, then it's incredibly frustrating if you do them out of the intended order.

Not saying MN9 is good. Just that it looks terrible obviously, but leaving the decision of whether or not it plays terribly to the least trustworthy game reviewers anywhere is not something I'm going to be doing any time soon.

Also, don't we, as the SGC, know better than anyone how costly game development of any size is? Why are we making jabs at the seemingly large sum of money this game costed? We already know game development is super expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Also, don't we, as the SGC, know better than anyone how costly game development of any size is? Why are we making jabs at the seemingly large sum of money this game costed? We already know game development is super expensive.

Because Shantae Half-Genie Hero got less than a $1m and looks way better?

Because Shantae Half-Genie Hero got less than a $1m and looks way better?
"Why is Skullgirls asking for $800k? Shovel Knight/Undertale/Them's Fighting Herds/whatever is getting out a FULL GAME for way less! Lab Zero is just scamming money."

You don't remember hearing that? Not saying MN9 looks good, but Mike and friends explained game dev costs to all of us.

"Why is Skullgirls asking for $800k? Shovel Knight/Undertale/Them's Fighting Herds/whatever is getting out a FULL GAME for way less! Lab Zero is just scamming money."

You don't remember hearing that? Not saying MN9 looks good, but Mike and friends explained game dev costs to all of us.

I don't remember Shovel Knight/Undertale/Them Fighting Herds/whatever being a basicly indentical but infinitely better game than Skulglirls for less money.

Circumstances change everything. Comparing completely different games in both genre and fidelity doesn't make sense. Games in same genre with similar fidelity, does.

Last edited:
Okay so I slept thru most of this shit. I was there for like the very very beginning when Dan found out he couldn't get his steam version to work.

looking at all of his tweets now... and wowie... he got angry. finally broke down, drove to a walmart in a different town got it on ps4 and then... he ate ice cream to de-stress.

okay he have a backlog on him playing the game. Yay...

https://www.twitch.tv/gigaboots/v/73642437

Last edited:
I don't remember Shovel Knight/Undertale/Them Fighting Herds/whatever being a basicly indentical but infinitely better game than Skulglirls for less money.
What about MN9 and Shantae is identical? That they both are platformers? TFH and SG are both Fighting Games. Never mind that we haven't even PLAYED Shantae yet (and MN9 came out literally hours ago), comparing how the two play or saying one plays better is ridiculous. That's what got us into this mess in the first place, everyone bandwagoned MN9 cause they just ASSUMED it would be amazing.

Circumstances change everything. Comparing completely different games in both genre and fidelity doesn't make sense. Games in same genre with similar fidelity, does.
The point is, games are expensive regardless. It doesn't matter if you think the game is shit, OF COURSE it was expensive. It's a game that hired a bunch of people to make a product. "X game is amazing despite using less money" is a pointless thing to say. Undertale used like $50k, proving that money doesn't make the quality. The game itself is good or bad because of other factors, the money has nothing to do with it.

Again. Not saying MN9 is or isn't shit. Just saying play the game, then like it or don't, and then judge it on how it played as a game. People get too wrapped up in hype or disappointment before even getting their hands on something these days.

Zidane, I get where you're coming from but I'm also not sure why you're choosing this hill to fight?

It's not even a thing about reviews. It's about what a slog this whole thing has been compared to other games. Plus there's also the fact that demos have been out forever and have been enough to give people their own impression and it hasn't been good.

Problems happen, sure. But delays coupled with numerous other questionable fundraisers coupled with trying to jump on other media before the game was finished... There's other things I could lump in but those are the major points. Are you really surprised people are frustrated?

Also bringing up how the SGC should 'know better'? Costs mean nothing if a project is mismanaged. Lab Zero gets praise because despite EVERYTHING they went through they still put out quality and garnered peoples trust. The fact that the games you pointed out did better with less money makes me wonder why you'd bring it up at all.

Sent from my SM-G928R4 using Tapatalk

Because apparently you just don't pay attention to MikeZ literally yelling about this for the past few months.

OR if you don't like listening to people and for some reason literally only read text. HERE YOU GO.

Last edited:
Reactions: No longer exist
Because apparently you just don't pay attention to MikeZ literally yelling about this for the past few months.

OR if you don't like listening to people and for some reasin literally only read text. HERE YOU GO.
If anything I'm *more* upset at MN9 because it might help perpetrate that myth.

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
Zidane, I get where you're coming from but I'm also not sure why you're choosing this hill to fight?
Cause I'm sick of hearing "this game was 4 million dollars".

It's not even a thing about reviews.
I keep seeing people pointing to the reviews. Not that it's all that people are upset about, it's just one thing I wanted to mention. That's why I spoke up now that people are saying the game IS trash, rather than it LOOKS LIKE trash. Cause it does look like trash, no arguing.

Are you really surprised people are frustrated?
Not talking about people being frustrated. I'm frustrated too. And?

The fact that the games you pointed out did better with less money makes me wonder why you'd bring it up at all.
Because everyone keeps saying "4 million dollars" over and over and over and over and over and over again. The actual price tag means nothing. "This game is trash despite costing x money" is the same as saying "this game is amazing despite costing y money". It literally does not matter, money means nothing as far as how pleasant a game looks or how great it feels.

Reactions: DukeMagus

OR if you don't like listening to people and for some reason literally only read text. HERE YOU GO.

I know what Mike said. But how does that explain how one team did much better job with 1m when other did much worse with 4m on basicly same game?

Does this mean that if I did a game for 1m and it's identical to another one done with 4m then somehow there isn't any difference? Doesn't that mean that the other person is literally wasting money?

What about MN9 and Shantae is identical? That they both are platformers? TFH and SG are both Fighting Games. Never mind that we haven't even PLAYED Shantae yet (and MN9 came out literally hours ago), comparing how the two play or saying one plays better is ridiculous. That's what got us into this mess in the first place, everyone bandwagoned MN9 cause they just ASSUMED it would be amazing.

TFH has less characters and lesser graphical quality which justifies lesser cost.

Shantae looks better, has more thought out gameplay (which we CAN tell because both games had demos) and if it at least has similar length to previous games it won't be any shorter than Mighty No9.

I don't remember people scoffing on the "Squigly costs as much as Ryu's arm" comparison. Somehow THEN it was a great argument that apparently LabZero is great at managing funds. Now it can't be used to show Comcept is terrible at managing funds?

Sorry, I will use "4 millions" till the heat death of universe because it's a real shame that a pretty much record breaking kickstarter game is worse than games who got much less. It's there to drive the point just how badly did Comcept screw up.

Last edited:
Cause I'm sick of hearing "this game was 4 million dollars".

I keep seeing people pointing to the reviews. Not that it's all that people are upset about, it's just one thing I wanted to mention. That's why I spoke up now that people are saying the game IS trash, rather than it LOOKS LIKE trash. Cause it does look like trash, no arguing.

Not talking about people being frustrated. I'm frustrated too. And?

Because everyone keeps saying "4 million dollars" over and over and over and over and over and over again. The actual price tag means nothing. "This game is trash despite costing x money" is the same as saying "this game is amazing despite costing y money". It literally does not matter, money means nothing as far as how pleasant a game looks or how great it feels.

Well, that's a double problem of peoples perceptions and MN9 screwing up so bad.

I wish it hadn't happened either but here we are. I'd be more willing to tell people to maybe give it a shot first but the whole clusterfuckery pretty much eroded my good will for it.

Apparently this game is bricking Wii U's.

Apparently the game crashed on their own stream.

Apparently it was delayed on 360 due to a last minute bug.

This game is a disaster.

4 million dollars folks.
HOW DOES A GAME BRICK A WII U
IS IS THAT DISAPPOINTING?!
JESUS FUCK

Reactions: ArgonBern
I'd be more willing to tell people to maybe give it a shot first but the whole clusterfuckery pretty much eroded my good will for it.
That's why I don't get excited and look forward to games or movies. This happens way more often than not.

I know what Mike said. But how does that explain how one team did much better job with 1m when other did much worse with 4m on basicly same game?
I still don't know what you mean by identical. They're both platformers, that's it.

I don't remember people scoffing on the "Squigly costs as much as Ryu's arm" comparison.
They did. They still do. People still call Lab Zero scam artists for the SG fundraiser.

I still don't know what you mean by identical. They're both platformers, that's it.

Then perhaps YOU tell me what makes a 3 milion difference in these games?

I mean switch everything in Shantae into a robot, switch arabia/desert/forests into all those techno-mumbo-jumbo levels and make all characters 3D model and what is different besides gameplay nuances?

Almost all differences in those games are artistic choices, not something that suddenly costs 4 times as much money. No revolutionary gameplay mechanics, no ultra high fidelity Unreal 4 engine graphics, no nothing.

Then perhaps YOU tell me what makes a 3 milion difference in these games?
One's completely 3D, the other is mostly 2D with some tricks making it seem 3D. One has 3D cutscenes, the other has text boxes. One has a bunch of Voice Acting that's being translated I believe into several different languages, the other isn't.

I mean switch everything in Shantae into a robot, switch arabia/desert/forests into all those techno-mumbo-jumbo levels and make all characters 3D model and what is different besides gameplay nuances?
"I mean, just switch all the girls into guys, switch skullhearts to psycho power, and make all the sprites 3d models and what's the difference between SG and SFV other than Gameplay Nuances?"

Look in the end I've learned this: budget does not always equal quality. Mn9 doesn't look to great but that may not be due to the budget it may just be due to lack of artistic skill/ art shift/ trying to make it playable on both last hen and current gen etc. Skullgirls had a passionate and skilled team, so does way forward. With Inafune aside how passionate and dedicated was comcept? It's all about how much the Devs care.

I'm not saying they wasted the money. (Heck making it on most consoles and platforms must cost a lot.) I'm just saying maybe it's not the budget but rather the ability of the team.

Dare I say they were probably unskilled, lacked experience both in programing or art, or they were probably badly mismanaged team wise.

One's completely 3D, the other is mostly 2D with some tricks making it seem 3D. One has 3D cutscenes, the other has text boxes. One has a bunch of Voice Acting that's being translated I believe into several different languages, the other isn't.

And how did those work out for them?

Very badly looking 3D models, poor voice acting, cutscenes that have barely any movement in them. If anything that sounds like a lotta wasted money on subpar stuff, wouldn't you say? Those sure don't look like they are worth 3 million dollar. Oh, and both VA and animated cutscenes costed $100k each in Shantae Kickstarter.

Also whether 3D or 2D costs more depends in many situations on team size and technuiqes used.