• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Robo Fortune Discussion

Why is holding buttons and then releasing them a problem?
I initially had hold-the-buttons-longer tried also, but there isn't a ton of time between Lv3/Lv5. Also it kinda needs to make the decision right when the superflash starts, for both aesthetic and gameplay reasons.
I mind having to do that. :^P

A main reason is - it is a worse idea to have you accidentally spend 5 levels by holding a button a frame too long if there is an unambiguous solution that could be chosen instead.

Only thing I can think of to support holding them longer to activate different levels is to have a flash or something to let you know how long you've held it. Like lvl 1 is just normal and no need to hold the button after triggering, level 3 flashes when her big busters face the opponent and the extra cannons appear, lvl 5 hold the whole time and it flashes just for show when the ring thingy appears meaning it's her final form. Can even change the colors or something to make it easier if needed.

Overall, I'm for holding the punch button and based on how much meter you have decides the lvl.

Only thing I can think of to support holding them longer to activate different levels is to have a flash or something to let you know how long you've held it. Like lvl 1 is just normal and no need to hold the button after triggering, level 3 flashes when her big busters face the opponent and the extra cannons appear, lvl 5 hold the whole time and it flashes just for show when the ring thingy appears meaning it's her final form. Can even change the colors or something to make it easier if needed.

Overall, I'm for holding the punch button and based on how much meter you have decides the lvl.

Apparently the ring thingy is called the 'Rift' by a few members of the Skullgirls Online Battlers after the recent FT5 matchups that we did a few hours ago on Beta.
I really hope Robo will do a unique line when the Super changes meter-wise so we can time the super and its power just right.
Question @Mike_Z. If Robo's L1 Purrton has 30 hits and R5 Purrton has 60 hits, why not make the L3 does 45 hits and change the damage to 4.8k? Besides, the L1 does 1.8k and the L5 does 7.2k.

As I said, it has to be decided when the superflash STARTS, thank you everyone goodnight.

Purrton
Nope.

Question @Mike_Z. If Robo's L1 has 30 hits and R5 has 60 hits, why not make the L3 does 45 hits and change the damage to 4.8k? Besides, the L1 does 1.8k and the L5 does 7.2k.
Lv1 hella doesn't do 1.8k, it does 3.1, and none of the damage is final yet.

What about tapping pp for lvl 1, hold pp for any length of time for lvl 3, and hold pp for lvl 5? Sorta like Cerebella's j.hp where if you tap it you get instant j.hp, if you hold it at all before releasing you get the automatic startup frames before you can clap, and if you hold it for the full glide.

+1 for hold P for Lv3 hold K for Lv5

Assuming its weird or unwanted for hold MP for Lv3 hold HP for Lv5

Reactions: Waasiq
I would rather not have to hit additional buttons after the super has started.

Reactions: Wenzel and Kai
Level 1, 3, and 5 don't need unique inputs. The only different input needed is one to do level 3 when you have 5 bars.

After doing :QCF: :PP: press :P: one more time for lvl 3 or two more times for lvl 5. Or just press nothing for lvl 1.

My other idea someone already posted.

I would rather not have to hit additional buttons after the super has started.
Its not about what you rather, its about best solution for the whole. And Mike said hold for Lv3 and holder longer for Lv5 arent happening.

It's only relevant if you have 5 bars but only wanna spend 3 for some reason, so how often is this really going to come up? I think it's fine the way it is.

Reactions: Aura and Mr. X
I'd definitely want to keep two bars if I had only robo left and three bars would already kill

Its not about what you rather, its about best solution for the whole.
omw to not share my opinions again cause I'm not part of the whole I guess, rip me

It's only relevant if you have 5 bars but only wanna spend 3 for some reason, so how often is this really going to come up? I think it's fine the way it is.
I think it's also relevant if you only want to use the 1 meter version instead of the 3 meter version. Say you are fighting a team and have 3 meters and only need to use 1 for a kill on a single character. Forcing someone to spend all their meter in that situation puts the user at a disadvantage.

I think it's also relevant if you only want to use the 1 meter version instead of the 3 meter version. Say you are fighting a team and have 3 meters and only need to use 1 for a kill on a single character. Forcing someone to spend all their meter in that situation puts the user at a disadvantage.
It already works like that. By default it's a level 1. Holding a button down gives you a level 5 if you have 5 bars, or a level 3 if you have 3 or 4 bars. The only situation where it's relevant is the situation Caio outlined where

1. You have full meter
2. A level 1 wouldn't kill
3. A level 3 would kill
4. You are not hitting their last character

Which is a lot of stuff! I mean that first thing by itself doesn't happen all that frequently, and then you've got the other things on top of that. I just don't really think it's gonna come up that often, whereas "wait do I hold punch or kick to get level 3 I don't remember" would come up a decent amount of the time.

Reactions: Zidiane
It already works like that.
Oh, I thought it defaulted to whatever meter value you had when you started the super. My bad.

I like peanuts solution but I would change it to hold instead of press.

Level - Just normal
Level 3 - Hold any 1 P
Level 5 - hold any 2 P

Only reason being coming from marvel, we push buttons more than once (even though we want to only push it once) to ensure that the game registered we pushed it. I got a feeling I would double tap P to do a level 3 because my mind will think the game didn't register it the first time and I would accidentally get a level 5

Reactions: Mr Peck
so this would be the first Level 3 in the game to not use QCB + PP? Assuming she doesn't get another level 3 using QCB + PP, and this current one is just a "powered up lvl 1 that costs 3 bars"

so this would be the first Level 3 in the game to not use QCB + PP? Assuming she doesn't get another level 3 using QCB + PP, and this current one is just a "powered up lvl 1 that costs 3 bars"
Beowulf has *a* lvl3 that isn't qcb+PP but 360+grab instead.

Granted he has a qcb+PP lvl3 on top of that, but that very well might eventually be also the case for Robo-Fortune.

Reactions: dMags
If there needs to be 3 different inputs, why not
Level 1 - Press
Level 3 - Hold
Level 5 - Hold and shake stick (like Beat Extend)

Dont assume.

Have you also considered making the super consist of (1) several stages, (2) adding a new sequence of inputs for it that cost more meter or (3) any combination of both? If so, what are the disadvantages or advantages of both in this context?

I personally think that 236PP > [P] > [P] for a triple-stage super would be interesting if possible; You could use the startup time of the super to check whether the player is holding P, enhance it, then have another startup period that checks again for the lv5 but I assume at that point you won't be able to discount the super if it were Sequel'd into, ditto for (1).

If not that, something similar to Xiangfei's BC > 4,3C > 4C would be interesting, but might have the aforementioned cons?

[PP] or [KK] would also be a set. 6PP, 4PP also would be neat. Another idea would also be to make it depend on how LONG you've Held PP; I make wild assumptions about the game here of course, but perhaps store the time you've been holding PP after a certain period in a value, if the value is over treshold A, give lv3, treshold b, give lv5? Of course there begs the question of displaying how much charge you've gained and representing the effects.

IIRC Examples for the above are like
(1) Xiangfei's SDM
(2) Bullet's 360 > 720 > 1080
(3) I'll get back to you on that.

My input without knowing what the topic really is

Lvl 1: QCF PP
Lvl 3: QCF PP - Hold PP
Lvl 5: QCF PP - Hold 6PP

Easy to input, doesn't require to let go of Buttons, logical (press-hold-holdmorestuff), works on every controller, etc

Of course I don't know how much time one has prior to the superflash, ie whether this could cause accidental Lvl5s due to accidentally holding the direction for a bit too long

I don't own a gaming pc so I only play on PS3, but for her super what if you did double quarter circle pp for the level five? I really wish the consoles weren't so particular with releasing updates and patches; if they were free we might be able to enjoy the beta fun as well. anybody going to COMBO?

How about we quit yapping senselessly and trust Mike to come up with the simplest possible solution? I mean, he made stance cancels as simple as possible without interfering with anything else, same with fly cancels.

How about we quit yapping senselessly and trust Mike to come up with the simplest possible solution? I mean, he made stance cancels as simple as possible without interfering with anything else, same with fly cancels.
God forbid we talk about things we were asked.

Might as well never input anything ever in a discussion thread yeah lets go.

If we're going to hold a button down i would like it if the lvl5 would be kicks and the lvl3 would be punches. It's simple to remember, doesn't require timing on the holding down during superflash and is the easiest to give the option to do a lvl3 version when having 5 bars with out the probability of having the player mixing up and get the undesired lvl of super. But then again who cares, I just think that this would be the simplest way to do this and keep new players from getting confused when trying to use her upgraded super.

Mike has stated multiple times that the decision has to be made prior to / at the start of the superflash.
QCF PP - let go of PP - press KK - hold KK during the startup frames of the super sounds like a hassle to me (of course depending on how fast the startup is)

If K is reasonably easy to press, rather than hold KK I would vote for hold PPK -
It doesn't require you to awkwardly let go of the Punch Buttons, PPK is easy to press/hold on every controller, and again it makes sense (tap lvl1, hold 2 buttons lvl3, hold 3 buttons lvl5)

Why does it have to be 2 buttons? You seem to be the only one saying that.

Hold any P for lvl 3, any K for lvl 5 sounds great to me.

As wells as hold j.HK to not jump cancel it.

you know what? I don't care, i'm not going to saying anymore pertaining to her super. From seeing the super on the salty stream the start up of the super seems great enough for some one to do the super inputs and then press a kick or two kicks or what ever button to help make the super upgrade before the superflash happens. so i don't see why what i said isn't a valid suggestion.

Change super input to 236LP+LK
LVL3: Hold LP
LVL5: Hold LK (gives LVL3 if at <5 meter)

Pretty straight forward.
No extra inputs or button presses; should be something easily done on controllers.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper