• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

The launch edition is shit if wallpaper/skin is what makes me have to pay $10 more for a standard Vita game. They could have at least brought over the P4D Vita theme. The Atlus tax makes a comeback.

Disco Fever edition feels overpriced too since it's the cost of two standard entry Vita games. Did they even say how many tracks will be in the two CD's or is it gonna be another one of those 'each CD has like 4-6 songs' deals. No artbook either hurts too. I do like the Disco Fever box design though. Don't know feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck from investing into the Operation Abyss LE.

Yeah, afar from a few nice trinkets (I'd really like that pouch), they're charging way too much for that. Who's going to pay for the special edition of a rhythm game, of all things?

Yeah, afar from a few nice trinkets (I'd really like that pouch), they're charging way too much for that. Who's going to pay for the special edition of a rhythm game, of all things?
The JPN version LE bundle pre-orders actually ranked pretty high when it was first announced especially the Vita bundle one. Also it's still a Persona game even if a different genre so that influences the popularity like it did for the sales of the Arena games. Not to mention rhythm games doesn't mean it's not popular either if you been following games like Project Diva that have gained traction over the years even in the West. To be fair though the LE that NA is getting isn't that great value wise in comparison so I wouldn't be surprised if it still doesn't sell out [unless they have very limited stock] even when the game launches here.

i paid 80 bucks for chronophantasma special edition, I'll pay for all that cool Persona shit and the rhythm game.

I don't know, I don't see much value to rhythm games so I wouldn't personally spend my money on it.
At the risk of sounding naïve, I always thought of rhythm games as kind of casual, and I doubt a casual gamer would be interested in sending that much money on it. Of course, the Persona name behind it brings in a lot of dedicated fans, so of course people are going to still buy it, and it's going to do well, but it still seems odd to me.
DAN doesn't have much for me except getting all my friends that love Persona near the TV to point at how silly it is.
Just look at the boxart!

At the risk of sounding naïve, I always thought of rhythm games as kind of casual, and I doubt a casual gamer would be interested in sending that much money on it.
Depends on the rhythm game and how tough the difficulty is. Hardest difficulty in rhythm games--I haven't played Project Diva, but I assume it's the same there--are near impossible to accomplish to the casual gamer. Rhythm games have a lot of replayability because of the harder difficulties; you can work your way up the difficulty ladder as you improve in your skill and timing and as you try to beat your previous score. It's really rewarding to be able to beat a song, which previously owned your ass, without a sweat. It's also pretty fun getting into the beat of the song.
I've been playing Stepmania for several years, so I'm pretty into rhythm games lol although I mostly just play them on my phone these days.

Also, you may have noticed that the NA version DOES NOT COME with the P5 Blu-ray. Just as a heads up if someone wanted it for that.

Oh no rhythm games just like other genres such as fighting games have their own share of hardcore fanatics to go along with the casuals. Rhythm games by design may have an easy execution entry barrier due to the various difficulty levels that can influence the note speed, button ranges, etc, but at the higher difficulties is usually the 'true game' which can really murder your fingers and test your reaction. That said the genre isn't for everyone.

Also the skin only works for 2000 Vita models FYI

Reactions: EA575
;-; so us first model vita owners won't be able to use them?

Teddie Trailer

Also I think someone wanted Teddie's cross dress outfit so here you go
7gkjqGg.png

It's the closest we'll ever get to playable Alice, so hey, I'll take it. I also want a playable Jack Frost/Pyro Jack and Cu Chulainn...please? No? Ok :(

When's Demi-Fiend and Raidou DLC?

Subbed Bears
bobross losing his sanity in the first few seconds

Nanako gets Detective Loveline costume and P4G ending costume as paid DLC
P4D-Nanako-Loveline-Costume.jpg

P4D-Nanako-P4G-Costume.jpg

When's Raidou costume for Naoto? D:

I just want some semblance of a reference to other SMT series outside of the Alice costume D:

Alice was Teddie's crossdressing contest costume in P4, so it makes perfect sense that it'd be a costume.
in Persona 4 it most likely was a reference.
in this game it's a reference to Persona 4.

Yeah, I know the origin of the Alice costume. I just love me some cross series references D:

XD you should play the game because you wanna play it!
not because of some references!

I love Skullgirls

Nervous sweating

Have a Famitsu scan with Kanji in a speedo and Naoto and Rise in the battle panties... Also items! (The red hair on Yu is an accessory. Not a Sho costume.)
3sdTa3i.jpg

In other news I've made it my goal to replay every persona game in order in preperation for P5 getting a release this year.
P1 PSP is my starting point and I'm enjoying the ride for the most part. I'd actually like to delve a bit more into the mechanics because, having played SMT I and II now I'm fully realizing how many mainline mechanics got held over into P1's design. I also might have my first real complaints with the combat system. The uselessness of standard weapons, and issues revolving around moving individual units during combat.

It's not something I noticed my first time since I mostly used a mix of guns and Persona skills and didn't bother to fuse too much. But I got some advice from a 4chan thread months ago to not use regular weapons unless an enemy could reflect/absorb a spell and it just makes things easier. It's a shame because at least P2 made it so that regular weapons were useful but that also was the result of tightening up how SP costs work and balancing out some numbers.

As for the tactical aspect of combat (arranging units on the grid and minding attack ranges) I still don't mind it at all but I'd like the option to move a single unit as a command than having to fuss around with one of my 4 preset formations and then change it after the combat has ended. Plus changing formation, even one person, takes up a whole turn for everyone so that's counterproductive.

I'm in the other world of P1 now and I'll probably power through the rest this weekend as my schedule permits. Just a standard run and I'll save the snow queen side-quest for a future playthrough.

tl;dr @SanoBaron I finally found something I didn't like about P1.

All these costumes and still no Sho, Labrys, or anyone from 3?

Also, are these costumes ALL DLC? Or are they mostly all included in the game? Cause if this is all DLC...ugh...

tl;dr @SanoBaron I finally found something I didn't like about P1.
[/QUOTE]
I commend you on playing further than I did.
I quit that game during that mall level where you need to go to a secret area and there's trapdoors and if you get caught in one you gotta start all over again and after the eighth time I fell into one I said "fuck this" and quit playing.

and fuck the battle system. broken archaic mess that should have been reworked in the remake.

RISE IN BATTLE PANTIES

What if
Guys
WHAT IF
She's been wearing them this whole time and we just couldn't see
I mean... we can't DISPROVE that she wasn't wearing them the whole time...

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Of course not, she sit at home obsessing over the MC. There's always gotta be one lady that can't stay off of him even outside his presence XD

and fuck the battle system. broken archaic mess that should have been reworked in the remake.
See, I think that Atlus didn't do what they ususally do with their games. You ever notice that the second iteration of any game in a franchise is much better than the first with Atlus? SMT II is better than SMT I. Persona 2 improves upon what made Persona 1 unique. P4 (for the sake of argument I consider P 3/4 different enough from 1/2 mechanically to say this)... P4 improves on the mechanics of P3 (not the story though).

So I'd like to see Atlus revisit small scale tactical combat. And I'm fine with them keeping the old system even in the remake because I'd prefer they keep the game true to itself than try and retroactively change every single thing that had problems or didn't work.

Hell I'll make it a summer project to recreate the combat engine and make it work.

Last edited:
Of course not, she sit at home obsessing over the MC. There's always gotta be one lady that can't stay off of him even outside his presence XD
well, considering they BOTH live in the city, she can always visit him and vice versa.

I was more making a joke at how clingy Rise comes off after saving her in P4. It's almost like she's fallen for you or something XD

I'm surprised you couldn't pick up on it. I, for one, thought it was pretty obvious :3

All these costumes and still no Sho, Labrys, or anyone from 3?

Also, are these costumes ALL DLC? Or are they mostly all included in the game? Cause if this is all DLC...ugh...
I'm fairly sure that most of the shown costumes are in the base game. Also, I can't say I'm surprised that nobody from 3 or the Arenas has shown up this time around. This is explicitly a P4 game, after all.

I'm fairly sure that most of the shown costumes are in the base game. Also, I can't say I'm surprised that nobody from 3 or the Arenas has shown up this time around. This is explicitly a P4 game, after all.
from the title of Persona 4 Arena, it's explicitly a p4 game too...I'm totally not stretching for an arguement, nope.

I can undertand the cast being kept to just P4 ppl here, though. However, if Margaret is Free Play only, are there going to be any other characters that are Free Play only? Obviously costumes, but...seems kinda pointless to make Margaret the only character restricted to free play.

oh there will most likely be free play only characters.
that's how these dance games roll.

Adachi just kicks down the door and with a face like he just had to eat a whole lemon, starts busting sweet dance moves.

"You shitty brats think you can dance? Heh, Let me show you the world of adults!"

from the title of Persona 4 Arena, it's explicitly a p4 game too...I'm totally not stretching for an arguement, nope.
P3 characters were advertised as being in P4A from the very first trailer, yeah, but in both Arena games, characters from P4 have more presence in the story than the ones from P3. Not to mention the small amount of P3 characters in P4A and all the DLC characters in Ultimax being from P4.