• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

It's so jazzy.
I'm excited, the game looks fantastic.

It's so jazzy
Well Meguro did say we were going full acid jazz this time. Can't wait to hear more.

Damn it, I just did the same thing.

I don't understand the marketing for this game. Would've been much more hype to have this trailer at E3 than uploading a Blu-Ray while dodging Atlus ninjas that are trying to keep it hidden for some reason.

Making the trailer only for people who buy DAN is good for marketing DAN. In theory, anyway.

The only thing it's doing is driving people nuts who couldn't care less about DAN and just want P5. No matter what they'd try to do trying to market both games at once was doomed to fail.

Its interesting that they're pushing DAN more then P5.

Each trailer is delivering exactly what I'd expect, I'm extremely stoked for p5.
Loving the music and cinematic's in each trailer so far.

The only thing it's doing is driving people nuts who couldn't care less about DAN and just want P5.

Hence "in theory". Also, the internet exists so it will just turn out the way that it did anyway. I have a friend in Taiwan who nearly snapped and bought the game a little over an hour ago. He doesn't have a Vita.

I imagine they're going to release the trailer soon, trying to make a spectacle out of it. Which is kind of silly because E3 did just happen and that would have been good marketing. TGS is too far away to hold it that long.

Last edited:
I expected the trailer to be longer considering it was a hyped up P4 Dance bonus. Not particularly hyped with what I seen mostly due to the length and lack of new material.

About the marketing, they are giving marketing priority to the games that are closer to release dates which logically makes sense. Ultimax had marketing priority closer to release, same with Q, and now with Dance. After Dance drops expect more Persona centric marketing to shifted to P5 now since that is the next [known] Persona project in the pipeline.

About packing the trailer in Dance, it's similar business practice to how FF Type 0 HD was packed with a FF XV Demo recently instead of simply putting the demo on PSN. It's to artificially push software sales to higher levels then they wouldn't normally reach. People are gonna cave simple as that.

Not a stretch of logic to assume that there are quite a few Persona diehard fans out there that just have to see that trailer immediately [and own a collector Blu-Ray disc in the process] instead of waiting around hoping that someone uploads it. It's scummy yes, but quite a lot of business tactics in this industry can be considered scummy from the consumer perspective. That said interested to see how much Dance sells in the opening week.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Morgana's voice is infinitely better and less annoying than Teddie's. Morgana master race.

About packing the trailer in Dance, it's similar business practice to how FF Type 0 HD was packed with a FF XV Demo recently instead of simply putting the demo on PSN. It's to artificially push software sales to higher levels then they wouldn't normally reach. People are gonna cave simple as that.
At least Square gave us a playable demo of a game many fans have been waiting years for and gave them the ability to send feedback. They also provided an update to that demo based on said feedback, which that feedback will also be applied to the final game. It's the same practice, sure, but you get a better deal than just a 2-minute trailer.
Plus you get a better game :v

Doing hurtful things to your phantom thief husbando chart

>forcing him to watch Eliza gameplay
image.jpg

>forcing him to practice blocking Eliza mix ups
image.jpg

@dapurplesharpie

Kappa

A couple of observations from the trailer:
  • When the MC is covered in blue flames his attire changes from his casual clothes to his thief attire.
    • He is also chained to Arsene initially and there is an obvious change in his demeanor.
    • I get the feeling that this game will deal with people who choose to co-opt their shadows rather than confront them.
    • Given the deadly sins symbolism it wouldn't be that far a stretch to see Arsene as a manifestation of the sin, and a later persona being a manifestation of the corresponding virtue.
  • Following the color theme in the first trailer ~1:20 mark we can determine the
    • Anne = Envy (green)
    • Ryuji = Greed (yellow)
    • MC = Wrath (red)
    • Morgana = ??? (has red eyes and color in first trailer so little confused here)
    • New guy has blue hair. Blue is associated with lust.

Translation of the voice in the P5 trailer (It's Arsene)
Voice: What’s wrong? Are you just going to watch?
Voice: Was that a mistake?
Voice: Heh, that’s right. That’s as it should be. I am you, you are I.
Voice: For the sake of the justice you believed in, make the blasphemers repent!
Voice: Now, begin!

At the end of the trailer:

Voice: We will meet again… at the moment your destiny has been determined. Hahahaha!

final_by_takethatobjection-d8yojqa.gif

Meanwhile in the world of DAN
Subbed versions of Marie and Adachi's trailer for DAN

I watched the final battle of DAN... all the characters dance to Reach Out to the Truth to get rid of it...

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
I watched the final battle of DAN... all the characters dance to Reach Out to the Truth to get rid of it...

I now have a firm belief that Pie is roommates with Aeon or stole Isaac's glove because how are you seeing these things
Or is the game already out in Japan or something

I now have a firm belief that Pie is roommates with Aeon or stole Isaac's glove because how are you seeing these things
Or is the game already out in Japan or something
It's out now in JP although I wish I had the power of foresight ;)

I have never laughed so hard at something, especially since I can't listen to the volumne right now.
Yosuke leapfrog jumping over Teddie had me in stiches.

See this, this is what happens when you sign a Faustian bargain.

Yo real shit two questions.

How is Shouji Meguro so good at so many different music genres?

From the weird trip techno of the older Persona games to the real instrumentation genre switches of their remakes, to the Nu-Jazz feel of p3 to the jazz pop feel of p3p to the Jpop/rock feel of p4 to fucking ACID JAZZ?

Those basslines in the p5 trailer music were so tasty.

Didn't he do Catherine as well?

Most people can only write so well in like 2 or 3 different genres. Who is this dude, really?

Question 2: Why does Youskue get it so hard in P4DAN, he pop locks the shadows away.

Yo real shit two questions.

How is Shouji Meguro so good at so many different music genres?

From the weird trip techno of the older Persona games to the real instrumentation genre switches of their remakes, to the Nu-Jazz feel of p3 to the jazz pop feel of p3p to the Jpop/rock feel of p4 to fucking ACID JAZZ?

You forgot the orchestral music of Strange Journey, the straight up Jazz of Devil Summoner Raidou, the Rock and Electronic Rock in Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga, and the techno in Maken X and Shao.

He's amazing.

That's right, he did do Maken X and Shao.

Most composers can do orchestral music, that's a given, after that, Jazz and rock are kind of a second, but even then the remakes of the older persona games were just well written contemporary pop pieces.

I really don't know how this guy writes so much music across so many different genres.

Not to mention the Oprea inspired Velvet room.

" In junior high, he became interested in the likes of T-Square, Herb Alpert, and Casiopea."

Oh, that would kind of explain it.

Granted I'd give more of the credit for the real instrumentation/arranging of the guitar heavy stuff to Kenichi Tsuchiya.

The Raidou soundtracks really don't get enough attention, the first one is easily some of his best work.

Reactions: BeatNinja
The Raidou soundtracks really don't get enough attention, the first one is easily some of his best work.

The more rockin' tunes of P4 and a lot of Raidou's soundtrack are very similar, in a good way.

Reactions: Aden
Wasn't Trauma Center 2 Manabu Namiki, though
Is second opinion and 2 the same thing? The naming convention for that series was weird.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you're right, Shouji was second opinion only.

Duh, you can hear the Meguro-ness all over the track.

His sharp cuts to pianos mixed higher in different keys, an augmented Rhythm guitar behind a keyboard, etc.

you literally linked a video of Trauma Center 2 music, man
Second Opinion was the remake of the first game on the wii, iirc

" In junior high, he became interested in the likes of T-Square, Herb Alpert, and Casiopea."

Oh, that would kind of explain it.

I would actually blame it on his liking for Beethoven and Tchaikovsky. Understanding the fundamentals and classical training > everything.

you literally linked a video of Trauma Center 2 music, man
Second Opinion was the remake of the first game on the wii, iirc
I never played 2, only second opinion.

So I thought second opinion was a sequel because I (thought) I never played 1.

Guess I did, since I played the remake.

I just thought another country had a different title.

Meguro wasn't on Trauma Center 2, it was Namiki
Meguro did the first game, the remake, and Trauma Team

It's really embarrassing that I just learned tonight that TC 2 and Second Opinion are 2 different things.

It's okay
Second Opinion honestly sounds like it would be the sequel, but it isn't

When you think about, a Second Opinion is just another take on an existing case.

If only little 16 year old iLoli was smarter at the time.