• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

I think we all know the best thing to come from this is Squigly's booty :P
(and Big Band course)
(I'll shut up now :3)

That's not true.
We'll always have Big Band.
I was referring to FE but yeah you right.

Big band was a blessing in disguise.

Mistake or not,now that I have a WiiU,I'm buying this game as a method of torture
Thanks Black Friday

I think we all know the best thing to come from this is Squigly's booty :P
(and Big Band course)
(I'll shut up now :3)
Skullgirls was a mistake.

New Final footage.

Also, I kept wondering why a certain P5 character looked familiar, finally figured it out.
Jun.png

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Two things here. First is the actual character info for Maiko

"Maiko is the president of the production company “Fortuna Entertainment” that recruits Mirage Masters. She is like a mother figure to the Mirage Masters. She’s a drinker, and has worked as a gravure idol in the past. Maiko is sharp and has quick wits, and cares about her production company comrades more than anyone."

Plus some official art of her.
Maiko-Genei-Ibun-Roku-724x1024.jpg
They are really hitting all their cliche's here.

We also have a new Mirage master although some of you may recognize him from earlier trailers. No trailer but there's a blurb about him in Famitsu.
The seventh MM is called Yashrio Tsurugi and his persona is Nabarl.
Genei-Ibun-Roku-FE-New-Character.jpg

Tsurugui-Genei-Ibun-roku.jpg

(Source) http://personacentral.com/genei-ibun-roku-fe-maiko-character-trailer/
http://personacentral.com/genei-ibun-roku-fe-famitsu-preview-for-december-3-features-new-character/

he's made outta belts
someone help him
Navarre looks pretty rad though

Last videos Ladies and Chaps.

First up is the last member of the cast Yashiro Tsurugi. He looks like a douchebag, nuff said.

"Introducing the seventh Mirage Master, Yashiro Tsurugi. He’s perfectly mastered dancing, singing, and acting. He’s a superstar. For some reason, he stands before the MC and crew. He appears to have some connection to a mysterious incident from five years ago in which both the performers and actors on stage vanished into thin air. Is he a villain, or another reliable friend?!"
So he's the rich, talented, mysterious dark haired figure who will probably pull a tuxedo mask at least once and a Kain the rest of the game. Calling my shots now.

Did I mention he has a punchable face?
Yashiro-toi8-724x1024.jpg

And finally we have an introduction video. Just a basic primer on the system but for all you Atlus fans you already know how to play this game because it's literally Persona 3.5 stewed in a Fire Emblem broth and some Final Fantasy X-2 chopped in.

That sounds like a mess.

Can't wait for it
I haven't been spiritually crushed by mediocrity in a while

It's kind of amazing, Atlus has a power over me where I will actually buy games I dislike before they even come out and never open them because I don't care, like P4G and Break Record, but this seems like such absolute garbage I probably won't even do that.

I hope someone here enjoys it so I can know it has some value to someone and wasn't a complete waste of time and work that could have gone to decent games.

Same, the character designs for the human characters just seems so bland and plain and boring. Character design by numbers. This newest character in particular is completely unimpressive. While the persona's mirage's designs are so overly detailed in comparison. This also goes for some of the enemy designs I've seen, where they're still very detailed but some of them are quite thin or small. Combine this with a battle camera and UI that seems more interested in you noticing the giant pictures of your teammates around the arena (which looks awful) than your enemies. The only positive thing I can note is that the dungeon's looked a lot more interesting than in the last gameplay demo set in that fashion dungeon with the huge dress, which was extremely sparse and boring. Hopefully this sets the precedent for Persona 5's dungeons, because I couldn't care less for this game.

I still remain the only one who seems interested in the game. :(

I mean,I'm kiiiiiiind of interested
I know it won't be the greatest thing ever,but I'm still gonna buy it to have a cheap laugh at it.
Knowing me,I'll still finish it.

I'm interested in how much more uninterested it can make me.

I just think it looks neat because I've always had an interest in Japan's media industry.

this game still needs a character to cover the EXILE/large dance group genre.

If the battle system turns out to be somewhat interesting, maybe I'll give it a little bit of a break. It has a few respectable rpg guys behind it (Mitsuru Hirata, who directed Radiant Historia, and Eiji Ishida, who directed Strange Journey), but I still haven't seen anything that looks particularly promising or compelling.

Like I said, the game's greatest sin is wasting a once in a lifetime chance at what could have been a very interesting srpg concept. Not like it's an over-saturated genre or anything anyway.

It's like, imagine if midway through the development of Marvel Vs Capcom, they decided "eh, fuck fighting games" and made it an *okay* platformer with no actual Marvel or Capcom characters. That's kinda how I feel.

I dunno, I have hope it will be good, for my wallet anyways. Its got some charm, but feels like a mistep.

Am I the only one here who really doesnt care about the Japanese media industry? I like the persona and Fire emblem games for the characters and right now These characters make me waaay to uninterested.

I with ya. I get that to them, the media is hella important, but it really doesn't gel well with me. I mean, not all of them come off as cliche, but all come off as dull save 1 or 2

If the battle system turns out to be somewhat interesting, maybe I'll give it a little bit of a break. It has a few respectable rpg guys behind it (Mitsuru Hirata, who directed Radiant Historia, and Eiji Ishida, who directed Strange Journey), but I still haven't seen anything that looks particularly promising or compelling.

Like I said, the game's greatest sin is wasting a once in a lifetime chance at what could have been a very interesting srpg concept. Not like it's an over-saturated genre or anything anyway.

It's like, imagine if midway through the development of Marvel Vs Capcom, they decided "eh, fuck fighting games" and made it an *okay* platformer with no actual Marvel or Capcom characters. That's kinda how I feel.
a better analogy is if they made a vague crossover announcment with Namco and Capcom, and everyone is left to stew on "oh man what could it be? it's probably gonna be like [insert concept here]" and then they announce Project XZone.

like, I feel if they never released the trailer with the new art of old characters, and had just said "we are developing a new IP with our companies" while being straightforward what they were doing, I feel the game would have a little better welcome.

like, if you ask me, they should have just done this trailer first
and never did this

a better analogy is if they made a vague crossover announcment with Namco and Capcom, and everyone is left to stew on "oh man what could it be? it's probably gonna be like [insert concept here]" and then they announce Project XZone.

The difference is, everyone was immediately impressed by the concept of a mash up of the two, and so it seemed like a no-brainer to create a dark fantasy strategy game with the best and most fitting mechanics of both cherry picked into a cool new Franchise.

To return to my analogy, if MVC had been retooled into say, a brawler. That would have at least made sense. You could still get the rock-em-sock-em super powered violence of both franchises and take some compelling elements of each (the outlandish powers of Marvel, the proficiency with fast paced brawling and fighting design from Capcom, the quirky characters and art from both).

This is more like if they turned it into another Mega Man game (which Capcom had too man of already, just like Atlus has too many dungeon crawls) with vague and insubstantial references to other Capcom and Marvel characters as power ups.

like, I feel if they never released the trailer with the new art of old characters, and had just said "we are developing a new IP with our companies" while being straightforward what they were doing, I feel the game would have a little better welcome.

Or maybe it wouldn't have gotten any attention at all? Atlus has other animu dungeon crawlers, and none of those get hotly debated.

I agree it's kinda unfair to judge a game based on what it could have been, but still, they're not doing a lot to set themselves apart.

That's from our second giant SMT book that you can get heeeere
Or get the first here or get them together cheaper and have an SMT Christmas!

For SMT x FE: I just have zero interest in idol culture so all this giant emphasis on it is really uninteresting and unappealing. I wish it had some kinda twist on the premise like how traditional SMT has gods but they're actually powered by how many people have faith in them in the modern era, how DDS1 is about conquering tribes through war&cannibalism, or, to tie it to idol culture, how Rise in P4 really wants to show her true self instead of the facade of the idol. Everything about this SMTxFE is pretty much at face value except with the mechanics of SMT.

Actually, I guess my real issue with it is that there's no apparent conflict going on in the game? Like P2's themes were rumors and facing lies and how teens confronted it versus adults, or how SMT1-3 is surviving a demon apocalypse, or SJ/SMTIV is about entering a new land where you're confronted with demons and survival. SMTxFE is about... becoming an idol? And summoning a Fire Emblem-skinned Persona from really enjoying performing???

If this is all a giant facade and the actual plot is about using innocent children's desire for attention to bring about the world's end, maybe then I'd be interested but as it is now it's totally boring.

well, I did see a subbed trailer, and from what I saw, it does seem to give the impression that a desire for stardom is being used in some way for some nefarious scheme, and that there are deeper storylines involving the Performa and Mirage Masters.

The problem is we've has little to no introduction to the villains and their plans. The same could be said about P5, but P5 has far more mystery going on. SmtxFE has just focused on the party, leaving little for us to learn when the game comes out.

I also wish theyd have chosen a different theme. Or at least gone somewhat global with the media scene

a
The problem is they are leveraging this game on it's cast, association to idol culture, and nothing else; we know nothing of the story at large. And all the characters are so archetypal that, at least to me, they are all really uninteresting. And I really cannot stress how much the costume designs do nothing for me. Why does the loli character have a giant battle axe and yellow submarine outfit? The best one is main guy and default Touma but the rest...eh. And the designs for the Personas mirages aren't much better.

The problem is we've has little to no introduction to the villains and their plans. The same could be said about P5, but P5 has far more mystery going on. SmtxFE has just focused on the party, leaving little for us to learn when the game comes out.

I also wish theyd have chosen a different theme. Or at least gone somewhat global with the media scene

"In the main story, the world is attacked by Mirages–beings from another world known as the Idolasphere. Itsuki and his friends–“Mirage Masters” from the same entertainment company–join forces with friendly Mirages to repel the Idolasphere’s mysterious invasion."
Source: http://personacentral.com/more-on-genei-ibun-roku-fes-side-stories-and-side-characters/

From what I can gather from the news articles I've been reading. This is something vaguely similar to Persona 3. The Mirage beings are somehow using the entertainment industry to create something similar to Apathy Syndrome. Since there is a pop idol theme I assume they are stealing people's enthusiasm or something like that.

There is honestly more attention payed to the side story and social media interactions in the game than the main quest. Social links in this game are now called Side Stories, you trigger them through the TOPIC social media thing the game uses.
Example:
So like I've been saying for weeks, this is a persona game and nothing else.

It's been a big red flag that this game has only talked about it's characters and it makes me worry that the story is going to be this generic slog that's only memorable because of who you're interacting with. I didn't like that in Persona 4 and I don't want that to be the trend Atlus starts setting for themselves if they haven't already.

Watch it be the darkest,deepest plot.
Just keep those expectations high so they can be safely flown under,I do say.

I didn't like that in Persona 4
Are you implying the Persona 4 cast is memorable?

I liked 3 of them
One of them only because he never talked
The other as designated bro
And the other was Kanji
Everyone else was shit as far I see

I liked P4's cast while I was playing, but didn't care about them much afterwards.

Personally, I think it's because of the silent protagonist. Silent types are better for atmospheric games like Dark Souls or Nocturne, IMO. Character interactions just aren't as good IMO when it's essentially just one character talking at the screen with a choice of several canned lines to respond with every now and then. I think that's part of the reason that Undertale (as cool as it is) didn't resonate with me as much as Trails In The Sky. I prefer two characters actually interacting with eachother.

I liked the plot but I thought it got super generic near the end (destroy the evil demon with the FRIENDSHIP BEAM). Fun stuff for the most part, but never felt compelling enough to revisit.

Silent characters have worked in Persona 2 with the caveat that they are only really silent because they don't talk outside of text prompts. What makes Tatsuya in IS, and Maya in EP work is that they aren't just cipher's for the player. They both have actual connections to the world and characters before the game starts, they fit in somewhere and the conflicts are tied to their backstories. They also get to have personalities and mannerisms that play out during cutscenes and battles. And when the game gives you dialogue choices it's within the context of what that charater might do or say, not always just covering the bases of things that the scene would demand. Even the last dialogue choice of IS shows how Tatsuya feels about being jerked around in the cosmic struggle between Philemon and Nyarlothotep and it's probably one of my favorite moments of that game.

Yu's a bad protagonist because he just exists to solve other people's problems in a game that gives him no real conflict. Instead of making him work for his persona he get's it from a handshake. From the very beginning of the game he stands out from the cast in a bad way and it's one of the big reasons why I loathe the fool arcana in recent games. He doesn't even get to have a reaction when Nanako is kidnapped and instead is the group mediator despite having lived with, and known her for months.

Reactions: Stairwayyy
Sooooo

it seems like the prudebat hit the persona x idolm@ster game too...

One of the characters's costumes got a design change because "bikini and underwear is evil" Twice as weird because the rest of the game still has other suggestive clothing. (and if i were to bet, obligatory beach episode too)

check this video from an earlier version

And now a quick glimpse @2:16

it looks obviously slapped on but whatever stops people from being crybabies I guess.
like, you can still see the garter on her thighs.
least they coulda done was make the pants slapped on be a different color from the boots instead of being this abomination of dark brown on dark brown.
but, gotta make sure the M rated game is friendly for the eyes of children.

Last edited: