• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Beta Aug 5th Patch Discussion

Also, if tournament results are our basis for observing characters' viability (as was mentioned for Double), Peacock is woefully underrepresented in Top 8 placements. This could be attributed to popularity, though.

Bella's level 3 has alot of utility for three bars. It is a low, has hyperarmor, combos multiple characters and allows for coversions anywhere on screen. Losing one of these properties would normalize her compared to the rest of the cast.

Also Bella's sweep is 0 on block while every other character is a frame disadvantage.

Do you have a replay where you parry something correctly in the real game, but the same replay doesn't work in the Beta?
And/or, can you get me a replay where it fails in the Beta so I can look at what happens?
I sort of noticed it also, but I'm trying to figure out why.

I noticed funkiness with parry as well.

I'm testing Painwheel's j.mp and SSJ at 25% speed on retail and in beta. In beta, it seems pressing forward during parry hitstop doesn't renew or refresh the parry window. Retail doesn't have the handy parry display but it seems to work over there. In beta if I press forward outside of hitstop then the parry window refreshes as expected.

Bella's level 3 has alot of utility for three bars.
[snip]
would normalize her compared to the rest of the cast.
Parasoul's is fullscreen, scales better, is completely safe, and allows for frametraps and conversions anywhere.
Eliza's combos two characters for huge corner carry and conversions anywhere.
Beowulf has two. Etc.
Every other Lv3 besides Cerebella's is invincible from the first frame until after the first active frame (in Robo's case until up to 30f after recovery, and in PW's case invincible through the superflash and armored directly afterward). Cerebella is the only character whose Lv3 takes damage before the flash, or can be STOPPED at ALL before the superflash, since she can be thrown.
Sure, it's a low, but it's a 28f low. And the total preflash time is even longer.

Also Bella's sweep is 0 on block while every other character is a frame disadvantage.
Her sweep is also +0 if runstopped, and that wouldn't change. Eliza's is -2 if cancelled to L Spiral that touches you. Squigly's is -1 on stance cancel and +6 on Seria cancel. Fortune's is +0 if cancelled into L rekka AND her sweep is only 13f startup compared to Cerebella's 17f. Double's is -1 with M Luger. Those don't require charging or anything, which runstop does. Parasoul's is +3 with L Shot.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is? :^)

cerebella mirrors should always start rounds with super jump forward grab bag imo

I thought I was doing her a favor, because on incoming you can sneeze and be blocking (F,D,DF,B+HP). Maybe not?

Even though I'm one of the few who do this almost every time, I still find it really risky to mess up the timing to make sure I'm still blocking the correct way AND be ready for an airgrab. I'd rather take a bigger buffer window for head commands on incoming rather than move the head away from the corner.

I thought I was doing her a favor, because on incoming you can sneeze and be blocking (F,D,DF,B+HP). Maybe not?
this sounds a million times better than anything I've considered on incoming. I guess I didn't consider it an option since you can't use the head until you're on screen so I'd have a much smaller window than I thought, and the fear of getting hit scared me into wanting to defend instead of looking at my options to attack. The time before you come in probably gives you a good chance to buffer it ahead of time.

I'm gonna try and integrate it into my toolset, but if it starts working people will just hit the head right before I can come in. That'd probably make it easier for them to screw up their incoming though. I guess I'm pretty oblivious to a lot of fortune's good tools.

Having the head be out of the corner after you're doublesnapped would make it harder to harass the head before incoming and would put you in a less dangerous situation overall while making your incoming usage of the head less strong depending on how far it would be behind them in this hypothetical situation. On the other hand, if the head's behind them that means fortune more or less comes in with advantageous sandwich positioning if the incoming doesn't work out for the opponent which I don't think is something that feels right to me.

tl;dr not having the head in corner after doublesnap would be very nice but I want to come back to that after exploring the options I already have but didn't know about cause I'm a dumdum

Also its reassuring that the parry thing is an error. I might be crazy but at least I know this time it wasn't 100% my fault I got hit.

Thanks for the M shadow changes, but, it's possible add auto-correct in all shadows??

Parasoul's is fullscreen, scales better, is completely safe, and allows for frametraps and conversions anywhere.
Safe except against the chars who can punish it even if they stuck out a button, and conversions are a bit iffy when you have to delay the Egret Cancel for kind of a long while to see if they didn't DP on reaction to the superflash :^)

When's Para Lv3 working like Beo Arm

Soooooo...the bug that Pickles found is that AFTER YOU BLOCK it was unblockable.
It being unblockable on the way up if you HAVE NOT YET BLOCKED is intended, and everything into Beo's air super will work the same way.
So the bug did indeed span the whole cast, but the behavior you're pointing out is not a bug...?
Well I learned something today; sorry for the confusion.

If it's not too much to ask, could Painwheel's taunt have an effect like extending the duration of Hatred Install by 30-60f? As far as I know her taunt doesn't do anything and I don't think a change like that would be broken. Even a short bonus would be useful now that HI doesn't run out mid combo so it would give you just an extra bit of time to get a confirm.

If it's not too much to ask, could Painwheel's taunt have an effect like extending the duration of Hatred Install by 30-60f? As far as I know her taunt doesn't do anything and I don't think a change like that would be broken. Even a short bonus would be useful now that HI doesn't run out mid combo so it would give you just an extra bit of time to get a confirm.
Just like all the other characters who didn't originally have a taunt and were given one in the R.Fortune update, Painwheel's taunt does have an effect but it is deliberately useless (her taunt is an attack). So, since it is supposed to be useless by design, I wouldn't expect it to get any sort of buff or anything.

No. Because then every other character would be asked for something similar; we went though the whole taunt debacle about a year ago.

No. Because then every other character would be asked for something similar; we went though the whole taunt debacle about a year ago.
Would that be unreasonable for a major balance patch that's shaking a lot of things up anyway? Especially if the effects are fairly small, I think 30f-60f of Install is small enough to be no biggie when you have to taunt to get it, and you could surely come up with similar small things for the rest of the cast that won't really impact their game but would feel nice just to have something.

The m. clone with fukua, I think it slams in a direction based on distance. Can we make this so it also slams toward fukua regardless of distance? It switches sides during combos based on spacing/character size and a tad annoying at times. Either way though, I preferred launcher shadow over this one. I'd rather switch out hk shadow for this and lose the overhead mix up game. That's just my #UnpopularOpinion

Also, I liked l. shadow breaking armor assist. I used it against lock n load and band assists on purpose. :*(

And as far as taunts go, I also think it's unnecessary to go into that world. The only taunt used consistantly (and I'm fine with it cause he needs it) is big band. I don't think others need a taunt buff

Last edited:
Because then every other character would be asked for something similar; we went though the whole taunt debacle about a year ago.

Fair enough. I figured extending HI timer would just be a matter of adjusting some values, but if getting it is gonna open the gate for everyone asking for taunt effects then I'm fine without it.

>Grab Bag fix
:D

What's the difference between the normal throw tech window and the grab bag tech window now?

Reactions: Wenzel
Well, okay. So the Japanese players are very adamant "Don't change Peacock". :^P
I've lost to every Japanese player I've played against so IDK what they're complaining about

Also, if tournament results are our basis for observing characters' viability (as was mentioned for Double), Peacock is woefully underrepresented in Top 8 placements. This could be attributed to popularity, though.
Peacock has been third at every major since like 5ever.
McPeanuts in top 8 isn't super rare.

TJ always gets top 3, only getting top 4 this year.

If Peacock were to get neutral buffs and stronger tools she would probably have to lose her crazy damage, and Japan would lose their mind over that just like they did with Robot.

3 Bombs on screen at a time please

In all seriousness, Peacock is fine

Reactions: Ranger
You can have 3 bombs, but only if you play Team Viable.

Would it be so bad if Peacock got things like her startup invincibility on teleport back, LP bang not having so much more recovery than MP bang or even a hair more chip? Still wish there were uses for LP item drop but can't think of too much to help with that, Sage had an idea but I already forgot what he said.

Light Bang is really meant to get mid screen conversions without an assist, or use both bomb and argus at the end of a combo, in a corner or midscreen.

Light bang is also good as a read for Grapplers such as beo and bella, or just against people who grab on wakeup

l Shadow drop is good because it is the only item drop you can call an assist during, which is good for mid screen neutral because its in essence a lingering hit box that wont interfere most zoning patterns, or using during combos to preserve an assist

Light bang is also good as a read for Grapplers such as beo and bella, or just against people who grab on wakeup

Lol I know what lp bang is useful for, not saying it isn't good for combos and such. But when I read a throw and use lp bang at max range and get the CH, it's very hard to confirm off of and I think at certain ranges or against certain characters, peacock can't get dash to jab. I'm not home now so can't test, but I know I've banged through some mgrs and couldn't get anything off of it without having to use Lenny.

And also I'm sorry but lp item is used less than even her level 3. It's not good for zoning and is out shadowed (lol) as an anti air by the medium version.

Would it be so bad if Peacock got things like her startup invincibility on teleport back, LP bang not having so much more recovery than MP bang or even a hair more chip? Still wish there were uses for LP item drop but can't think of too much to help with that, Sage had an idea but I already forgot what he said.
It kills me every time I try to read a throw but they instead jump, I'm still hitting them for not blocking but then I get counterhit comboed. I don't even know what I'd want there. Less endlag on-hit? Make them fall to the ground before staggering like Diamond Deflector does?

And also I'm sorry but lp item is used less than even her level 3. It's not good for zoning and is out shadowed (lol) as an anti air by the medium version.
I mean it's one thing to say L item is useless but what exactly would you change about it? Also what would you give up to make it better? I don't get the impression Mike would consider straight up buffs to this character, at best she would have to trade better L item with something else.

Make them fall to the ground before staggering like Diamond Deflector does?

it always frustrated me that stagger was canceled on landing, what is the rationale behind this? is there a move that would be really dumb if this wasn't the case?

it always frustrated me that stagger was canceled on landing, what is the rationale behind this? is there a move that would be really dumb if this wasn't the case?
Diamond Deflector

Lol I know what lp bang is useful for
What would that be? I can't think of a scenario where L bang (or any throw invincible move) would be better than just jumping and getting a CH on a correct read and not getting punished if they block it.

Reactions: PME
Diamond Deflector
Pretty sure Diamond Deflector already does stagger on landing.
L Bang
I'm also pretty sure L Bang > jMk is not a true combo.
You can shake that.
At least I've never been hit by it when I shake it.