• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Beta Aug 5th Patch Discussion

If Robo is about to explode from det mode, gets thrown, it kills her, then both players enter the down in 1v1, she gets nothing.
I felt so cheated. I imagine this is not fixable but here's a replay.
Happens on the second down. This is why I goof around with Midi in solos like this.

EDIT: For people who want to see it and don't want to mess with replays

Attachments

• 1472.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 236
I already talked to Mike about it, but the main QoL buff for Bella that I want is for Dynamo not to go the wrong way against opponents in the corner sometimes. It rarely happens but when it does, the combo drops and they get a free punish, for you using the super on the single frame or such that their body was on the other side of Bella during copter (or I'm guessing that's what causes it). I thought it was only against Medium characters like other Bellas and Parasoul, but I've had it happen recently to a Peacock. Oh and maybe a small buffer window after run stop to help with 1 frame links? =p

Reactions: Saske and Zidiane
On headless Fortune's head walk, new sneeze, and buffer for head moves...
ok hand.png
The head now helps quite a bit more in neutral thanks to head walk + sneeze helping control air space when the opponent jumps over the head. It definitely helps the head do its job in neutral of feeling like a threat when the body is away.

I do still want to bring up the issue of trying to input Headbutt, hitting forward/back after hitting the button (again, hard to tell if I'm just releasing it too late though it doesn't feel like that), and then having Zoom come out. Trying down + forward/back for Zoom would help, I think. The tracking idea brought up earlier... not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fumako and gllt
I'm really starting to like the new L teleport. It's fun, just wished for better ways to convert off it and it will become my favorite Peacock buff aside from c.lk that I'm using quite well. I'm going to have to remember at Ceotaku that I won't be able to use that move *cries*.

Reactions: ninja-nutria
Please contribute constructively. :^| The entire rest of SH is there if you really just need to say some inane junk. :^P
Ok real suggestion
Make it so you can cancel into super on the first hit of squiglies lvl 2 DP. I want to be able to do s hk into lvl 2 dp to make people go super high up but if you do shk you only hit with one hit of her lvl 2 DP and it happens to be the hit you can't super cancel on. This only matters because on characters like band I don't get as much air time if i do lvl 2 dp into opera which makes it so i can't do some tag in combos.

Reactions: Daemyx and softie
Not a Fortune player, so take this with a grain of salt, but if I may float a possible bandaid for headless inputs, what if releasing HP worked like before if-and-only-if you didn't walk the head at all while it was held down?

Reactions: Sydoh
Just wanted to say I'm loving this Parasoul s. fp push down. I didn't think I would like it when I suggested it.

Reactions: softie
So now that peacocks teleports are buffed, anyway a defender can get visual cues of what teleport she is doing other than audio cues?

So now that peacocks teleports are buffed, anyway a defender can get visual cues of what teleport she is doing other than audio cues?

The teleports themselves aren't buffed though? If she has an item drop teleport will always be M. L will be the punch move H will give fake out, or w/e its called.

What about double jump assist? Or is that RIP? and Fukua double air ball throw but follow properties of coming back before throwing again

no character can do specials in the air as an assist and i dont think mike z is going to start in this game

no character can do specials in the air as an assist and i dont think mike z is going to start in this game
Sorry, let me rephrase. What about bringing back double jump + call assist? Now that the game is getting rebalanced, we can maybe bring it back? Wasn't that taken out as a nerf to some characters?

Sorry, let me rephrase. What about bringing back double jump + call assist? Now that the game is getting rebalanced, we can maybe bring it back? Wasn't that taken out as a nerf to some characters?
I really wanna put the NONONO office meme here but I'm not sure how the forum mods would feel about that

I really wanna put the NONONO office meme here but I'm not sure how the forum mods would feel about that
Then why bring it up?
Also keep assist jumps as it is.

Assist after double jump would allow me to do setups with Valentine that are entirely too strong.
I know because I thought of amazing setups that were entirely too strong and went to lab them and they were all foiled by not being able to call assist after double jumping.

They are gone for a good reason, just like assists from superjump not being a thing.

But assists out of double jump was in the game for like, a long time, 1.5 years? Super jump and calling assist was never in the game

But assists out of double jump was in the game for like, a long time, 1.5 years? Super jump and calling assist was never in the game

Yeah, because it was bad. And assists out of double jump got removed for having overlap with assists out of superjump, which didn't exist for being bad. That's my point. Double jump assist is not very different from superjump assist lockout at all except that DJ assist still didn't let you call assist after launcher (since launcher is automatically SJ) unless you were PW who gets it back after flight anyways or did something like runstop your launcher with Bella and link jLP or something off it, so that you aren't superjumping and losing assist call after cHP.

Double jump call assist makes timing some too strong setups very easy IMO from my testing of what I thought I was gonna do, but got denied.

And I like that committing to a double jump is a commitment. I mean, sure, so is calling assist, but I've double jumped even now in this game after us not having dj assist for ages, tried to call assist, realized I couldn't, then realized it would have been dumb if I could.

I see no reason to bring that back, nor sliding air gregor. I'm not saying it's not fine to bring something back up that has already been tested, removed, or mentioned, but I don't think dj assist has any merit for ever coming back. I don't get why we would want that at all. Not only does it feel too strong for everyone that can do it, but everyone can't do it.

I get why Fukua would benefit from dj assist. I don't think she needs that benefit.

Edit: Painwheel is the only char currently who can call assists in situations that would be equivalent to DJ/SJ for other chars (and even after an actual SJ because of how flight works) and she's committed to flight when doing so.

Edit: For real, Fukua is not getting double jump jHK Fireball + assist, no. I know that's not what MMDS is asking for, maybe, but good lord no. Double jump jHK LDart is annoying on its own to deal with, I'm not having her calling MBeat or whatever during that, really? It's already strong enough for Fukua do to jump jLP/jHK LDart+Copter or whatever as a pressure option, I'm not letting her do that when running away from me with double jump to stay out of my range vertically and then throwing out a wall, forcing me to block dart+copter so she can divekick-on-hit down from the heavens and force me to guess Fukua bullshit if I didn't get frametrapped or whatever.

I'm a scrub for it probably, but I've died in 1v1 situations where I had Fukua cornered and all she did was upback dj LDart. I've also been the Fukua doing it and won.

So wanna call my assist during that, yeah. I know there's ways around it, I have to actively think and choose to do them. Please put an assist in the way too.

Last edited:
I mean, you can call assists after launcher, just have to do it before you SJC

I know you know this, I'm just being silly :^)

Last edited:
Reactions: gllt
wrt Peacock changes:

The latest changes to Lenny helped out with visual feedback that he's getting hit. It's a lot more clear that something hit him now, doesn't look wonky anymore.

Don't have a great sense of how I feel about this latest L Teleport yet. I know it's better than retail L Teleport for sure, but I think I preferred the last beta teleport where she moved backwards. On the other hand I may just need to play around with it more. I'm finding that I usually whiff it when I go for it, and that may mean I need to learn the spacing better.

Dunno how I feel about teleporting while holding item charges. I read all the comments calling it broken before I had a chance to try it, and, well, I guess I was expecting it to feel more broken. If it goes away I wouldn't really mind.

The changes to j.LP and c.MP are very good. s.LK is a button I don't use a ton but I'm glad the range got increased.

Reactions: gllt
One strange thing about Beowulf (maybe other characters as well):
When Beo stands right next to an opponent (except really tall characters)
and jump forward jHP, it crosses up and Beo land on the other side. No problem.
Same setup, now with assist. jHP still crosses up.
Beo, however, will land at the same size, making the assist cross up again.
That is two consecutive and very fast cross ups! If the assist is a low, that's two consecutive and very fast cross up+mix up!!
I don't think that second cross is fair, especially when the animation looks very strange.
It kind of feel like the assist pushes away the opponent and prevents Beo from land at the other side.

In retail, this happens but way less often (mostly in the corner)
The assist doesn't push people around in the version.

I don't play Filia so I don't know if this is always been a thing but you can time c.MP > s.HK > ringlet feint and Kara-slide under the opponent. I did it only once under valentine and I have no clue how to replicate it again but if this is not supposed a thing here it is??

For parasoul since j.lp only sets off the small tear explosion and it cause less hit stun does she still need to have those tiny tears when she air tosses them out quickly? All 3 of those nerfs just really seem to discourage using tear>j.lp.

Edit: discourages it too much.

Last edited:
stuff
We are just going to agree to disagree. Double jump was in this game for a long time. MvC2 has triple jump plus assist. I main'd Fukua with double jump assist and still lost badly with her. If that's what you're worried about, it's not that big of a buff. Val seems like she would benefit more.

Remember, YOU also get it. You are talking about it as though only your opponent has a dj + assist.

Last edited:
The DJ + assist metagame isn't very fun. It gets really dumb when Fukua double jumps and throws a fireball and then calls a dp assist to cover her landing, or valentine double jumping and then airdashing and calling an assist to do cross up mix ups from the top of the screen. You can still jump -> call assist -> dj, which is fair in my opinion.

Then there are the characters who aren't fortunate enough to get DJ + assist zzzzzz

We are just going to agree to disagree. Double jump was in this game for a long time. MvC3 has triple jump plus assist. I main'd Fukua with double jump assist and still lost badly with her. If that's what you're worried about, it's not that big of a buff. Val seems like she would benefit more.

Remember, YOU also get it. You are talking about it as though only your opponent has a dj + assist.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.
Actually, I don't always get it, as I said. If I play Para, I don't, etc.

Sage summarized things nicely so I won't repeat any more than has been said.

EDIT: Different topic, Filia's hurtboxes shift around a lot during her stagger and make links like rising jLP with Squigly hitting actually depend on what part of the stagger anim she's in and it's really annoying. I can't think of any other char where I can land rising jLP randomly depending on the stagger anim. I just land rising jLP on them, IIRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: softie
Different topic, Filia's hurtboxes shift around a lot during her stagger and make links like rising jLP with Squigly hitting actually depend on what part of the stagger anim she's in and it's really annoying. I can't think of any other char where I can land rising jLP randomly depending on the stagger anim. I just land rising jLP on them, IIRC.
Oh. That's right. This is a bad feeling, I forgot about it. Is there any way we can get a standardized stagger hitbox, like the standardized hitstun hitbox on characters?

One easy example of this, after Pummel Horse vs Painwheel c.mp will sometimes miss. It seems like it depends on which part of shaking out of the stagger they are in. It feels terrible when it misses. I'm sure there are plenty of instances between the cast and setups that can randomly miss like this depending on stagger.

Reactions: softie and gllt
One strange thing about Beowulf (maybe other characters as well):
When Beo stands right next to an opponent (except really tall characters)
and jump forward jHP, it crosses up and Beo land on the other side. No problem.
Same setup, now with assist. jHP still crosses up.
Beo, however, will land at the same size, making the assist cross up again.
That is two consecutive and very fast cross ups! If the assist is a low, that's two consecutive and very fast cross up+mix up!!
I don't think that second cross is fair, especially when the animation looks very strange.
It kind of feel like the assist pushes away the opponent and prevents Beo from land at the other side.

In retail, this happens but way less often (mostly in the corner)
The assist doesn't push people around in the version.
I don't think I've seen j.hp crossup but land on same side before with assist. Can you post a video? So you're saying assist pushes the opponent under you after you crossed up with j.hp?

Also it is very common for assist to push the opponent forward. Check out the very first post of Beowulf's tech thread. The very same works with brass knuckle assist.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

In training mode, in addition to holding the select button to delete a saved state or dummy recording can we have pressing the select button 3 times to switch between dummy recording, saving a state, and doing both?

Ah now that I've tested it I see what you mean by the double crossup. However if you set the dummy to jump, you can no longer get the double crossup. Also Beowulf needs to call assist and jump forward right away after press slam. Making it a rather easy to see crossup.

This isn't really balance/gameplay related but since we've been talking about training mode stuff I guess I can bring this up here too? IDK where else to mention it.

Every now and then I'll come across someone who will troll on the rematch screen by letting the 90 second timer run out without selecting anything. If I hit rematch right away, then if they don't respond I'm trapped. Can you let the player cancel out of their selection so they can go back and hit return to main menu if it looks like their opponent's idle?

YKrlJVx.png

I spoke in private about filia's c.hp. sometimes it whiffs in the corner(most notably, squigly). if you intended this normal to be like this then cool but wanted to know if this is what you wanted. If not could you improve it slightly?
I think at the very least, Filia's 2HP should be the same as Fukua/Double's since Fukua and Double have the same 2HP and it's better than Filia's.

I think at the very least, Filia's 2HP should be the same as Fukua/Double's since Fukua and Double have the same 2HP and it's better than Filia's.
Wasn't the point of their c.hp to be better than hers?

We don't know the point, Zid. That is why I asked.

All i want to know is if he wanted c.hp to be like this and why?

currently i was just playing wing and two instances occurred. Before that I will talk about the undizzy string she does.

after 240 maxed dizzy. filia cannot follow up after s.hp or else after her air chain she will get trigger ips from a ground normal. To get around this scenario, specifically an air throw.

Airthrow, H airball, dash cancel, s.mk c.hp, Ringlet, then the slp slp slk smp cmk s.hk H hairball.

The part bolded is where it infamously drops against characters that are slightly above smk's shoe IIRC. this happened to me about 30 minutes ago vs. wing when he was filia or squigly.

Reactions: Riah and gllt