• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Encore Edition Tiers and Matchups Discussion Thread: The Revengeance

Although it may have not been your original intention, it appears you've become a passenger on my ruse cruise. :^)
As is my custom, I am owned

I'm probably going to get laughed at or flamed for this, but I think Eventhubs' way of doing tiers for this game makes more sense then the matchup charts I see around here. Not the tier list itself mind you, but rating the character as the sum of their ability as a solo, with assist, and as an assist.

2 cents from a scrub.

I'm probably going to get laughed at or flamed for this, but I think Eventhubs' way of doing tiers for this game makes more sense then the matchup charts I see around here. Not the tier list itself mind you, but rating the character as the sum of their ability as a solo, with assist, and as an assist.

2 cents from a scrub.
It is incredibly flawed, looking at how the numbers worked, even my own judgements were way off what I actually think overall. Double and then Fillia were far and a away the top of my "list" while Valentine and Fortune were way lower than I thought they should be.

The result is proving how off their system is right now.

I honestly think the best Painwheel team possible is team Pali.

Parasoul/Painwheel/Double

It is a pretty solid team but not among the top tier teams.

New to SG, but not to fighting games, in general. I'm curious, who are the generally agreed upon top tier teams in the current edition?

I'm sure most of them are trios (judging by what I've been reading in this thread), but are there also any universally well regarded solos or duos?

Val/Thing/Thing
Fortune/Thing/Thing
Pea/Thing/Thing
Thing/Thing/Double, with special mention to Thing/Filia/Double

Logically, this makes

Val/Fil/Double
Fortune/Fil/Double
Pea/Fil/Double

The 'top teams'.

There are more top teams, but those are the 'generally agreed upon' ones.

Reactions: Tomo009 and Spencer
You forgot the strongest team of all.
Solobella.

Val/Thing/Thing
Fortune/Thing/Thing
Pea/Thing/Thing
Thing/Thing/Double, with special mention to Thing/Filia/Double

Logically, this makes

Val/Fil/Double
Fortune/Fil/Double
Pea/Fil/Double

The 'top teams'.

There are more top teams, but those are the 'generally agreed upon' ones.
Ok, this is what I mean. Double is in every "top team" so a match up chart is really not doing her justice in terms of how good of a character she is. In mvc2 characters like Psylocke and Commando were in nearly every team just for their assists and they aren't half the threat on point that Filia or Double are. I guess I just think it's strange that 1 on 1 matchups are so emphasized when everyone agrees that teams of 3 are the strongest.

Edit- For the record I'm not saying talking about matchups is useless because it's very helpful. I'm just saying I think there is more to evaluating a character in this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: blufang
I don't think Peacock/Filia/Double is a good Peacock team tbqh. I don't think Hornet Bomber is honestly that good of an assist for Peacock. It's not an awful team but I mean I'd put it below Val/Filia/Double, Fortune/Filia/Double, Peacock/Cerebella, Peacock/Big Band, and probably other teams if I felt like thinking of them.

Yeah I wasn't sure about putting it there, but it made the post prettier so whatever.

I do think it's pretty good though; less for the Pea/Double and more for the Pea/Fil and Fil/Double.
I figure Pea/Fil/Bella would be better but yannow that makes the post complicate aite?

Ok, this is what I mean. Double is in every "top team" so a match up chart is really not doing her justice in terms of how good of a character she is. In mvc2 characters like Psylocke and Commando were in nearly every team just for their assists and they aren't half the threat on point that Filia or Double are. I guess I just think it's strange that 1 on 1 matchups are so emphasized when everyone agrees that teams of 3 are the strongest.

That's kind of what I'm asking for, as well. I see all of these paragraphs concerning 1v1 MUs, which are definitely important to learn. However, it seems like team tier lists and assist tier lists make way more sense, just like with the other versus or versus-like games.

I noticed that there were a few people in UFGTX using both Big Band and Cerebella. What are the strongest teams for these two hard bodies? Do they require specific assists to get in or defend well?

While Peacock/Fil/Double may not be the best team, it is still a truism that you can slap Fil/Double on any point and still have a competitive team. So while it may not be the best, it is still going to be good.

@Camrac
I was having a hell of a hard time vs a Peacock/Devil Horns/A-Train. Assists covered the entire screen and Peacock is... Peacock.

Reactions: blufang
While Peacock/Fil/Double may not be the best team, it is still a truism that you can slap Fil/Double on any point and still have a competitive team. So while it may not be the best, it is still going to be good.

@Camrac
I was having a hell of a hard time vs a Peacock/Devil Horns/A-Train. Assists covered the entire screen and Peacock is... Peacock.
You mean battle butt?

That's kind of what I'm asking for, as well. I see all of these paragraphs concerning 1v1 MUs, which are definitely important to learn. However, it seems like team tier lists and assist tier lists make way more sense, just like with the other versus or versus-like games.

I noticed that there were a few people in UFGTX using both Big Band and Cerebella. What are the strongest teams for these two hard bodies? Do they require specific assists to get in or defend well?
I personally play Bella/M Shot/Drag n' Bite.

Cerebella is a utility man's wet dream, she has almost everything that you could ask for assist wise.

If you mean both together?

eehhh, I've actually never seen it done.

They both cover the same spaces so it'd either be terrible or amazing.

Bella with anti air grab from BB.
BB with anti air grab from Bella.

But because they cover the same spaces, they have similar weaknesses.

Last edited:
Why M instead of L/H shot? Bella has really good AAs, I don't feel like she needs the air control from M Shot; while L/H help a lot more for approaching.. and Reflect+Projectile Assist is actually proper zoning.

Why M instead of L/H shot? Bella has really good AAs, I don't feel like she needs the air control from M Shot; while L/H help a lot more for approaching.. and Reflect+Projectile Assist is actually proper zoning.
I usually switch up depending on who my opponent's point character is, but for characters that love to come in from an angle with Fierce(Val,Filia,Fortune) it's great.

They're not running at me, and they're not jumping at that weird angle Cerebella can't get to without commitment like DH or EB. Run/Drag 'N Bite covers the ground pretty well.

No, it was definitely Devil Horns, and it was super annoying. A-Train covered the air approach in, Pea's general projectile spam covered the ground in, and Devil Horns was the "oh shit" for when I got in.

oh okay, it's just that people mistake those two o lot...

Best point bella team right now.

Ready?

Ready?

Bella/Cilia Slide/Filia's French Twist (C.MK)

ITS TOO REAL. Don't believe me?

Reactions: Hilary
I don't believe you.

Best Bella team is just SoloBella.

Best Bella team is PW/MGR/A-Train.

Do it.

Ready?

Ready?

I am... skeptical. Like just looking at it I see you got Cilia Slide for midscreen conversions off Diamond Drop and Diamond Dynamo, and French Twist lets you run the OD SonicFox mixups, but does the shell work well together? I don't think Bella necessarily needs an armored/invincible assist like most characters do because her own reversals are so good, but I think Double is much weaker without a DP assist both just as a get-off-me and just in general because her anti air options aren't great. And then for Filia, she really wants an assist to help her neutral game, but I'm not sold on Cilia Slide as a neutral assist.

Bella's optimal positions tend to be not-point because her assists are so good, but Bella(Copter)/Band(HBrass)/Double(MK Butt) is my personal pick for best point Bella team. MK Butt is really to keep Big Band strong when he's in, and insurance for a Bella assist if Big Band dies. Bella doesn't really need variety in assists, just a way in, and H Brass does that.

Though maybe Bella/Cock/Band would be better since it turns into Cock/Band/Bella once you DHC and oh boy that's a gross team

That's another thing that's interesting me lately, teams that are ordered by who-you-want-to-go-on-anchor goes on point first. Bella/X/Band, Double/X/Filia both seem ideal for this kind of team structure.

btw bellaband is the new filidubs just to let you know

I personally play Bella/M Shot/Drag n' Bite.

Cerebella is a utility man's wet dream, she has almost everything that you could ask for assist wise.

If you mean both together?

eehhh, I've actually never seen it done.

They both cover the same spaces so it'd either be terrible or amazing.

Bella with anti air grab from BB.
BB with anti air grab from Bella.

But because they cover the same spaces, they have similar weaknesses.

I actually meant separate, but I can see how what I wrote wasn't very clear. Sorry about that!

Interesting info, though... Particularly the bit about not putting the heavies on the front of your team. I guess Bella's assists are so good that she needs to run mid or anchor. Makes sense.

I know you guys are mentioning Peacock quite a bit, but shouldn't anyone technically be able to fill the slot in the theoretical BB/Bella shell teams? I would think that Brass Knucks and Cerecopter (for instance) + X character could be a top team in and of itself, since the assists and dmg outputs are so strong.

Edited for clarity.***

Edit- For the record I'm not saying talking about matchups is useless because it's very helpful. I'm just saying I think there is more to evaluating a character in this game.
Commando isn't the right comparison. Think of Double more like Doom. A ton of versatile assists, good damage on point, a great DHC, enough mixups to manage against most characters, but not that abusive outside of certain hard air normals. Chosen more for the utility than for the character, either way.

I am... skeptical. Like just looking at it I see you got Cilia Slide for midscreen conversions off Diamond Drop and Diamond Dynamo, and French Twist lets you run the OD SonicFox mixups, but does the shell work well together? I don't think Bella necessarily needs an armored/invincible assist like most characters do because her own reversals are so good, but I think Double is much weaker without a DP assist both just as a get-off-me and just in general because her anti air options aren't great. And then for Filia, she really wants an assist to help her neutral game, but I'm not sold on Cilia Slide as a neutral assist.

I've always thought of it as there being a difference between the best team for a character and a best team with a character. If you want point Bella to do the most work, Kenin's team might be the best (or is at least on the right track) while if you want the best all around team with point Bella, the stuff you've mentioned are good points.

Commando isn't the right comparison. Think of Double more like Doom. A ton of versatile assists, good damage on point, a great DHC, enough mixups to manage against most characters, but not that abusive outside of certain hard air normals. Chosen more for the utility than for the character, either way.
Yeah I was just throwing out assist characters. It's funny, I just realized Double is like Strider and Doom mashed together and Filia is Magneto and Psylocke. That's not a coincidence I'm sure.

I've always thought of it as there being a difference between the best team for a character and a best team with a character. If you want point Bella to do the most work, Kenin's team might be the best (or is at least on the right track) while if you want the best all around team with point Bella, the stuff you've mentioned are good points.
Right, if you play that team it seems like you're praying real hard that Bella's gonna OCV, cause if she ever goes down you're in some trouble.

Reactions: Waasiq

Ready?

Ready?

Yeah, i believe you. Having been on the end of bella with cilia slide, i know how good that is. And i know how good double is with pw cr.mp, so French twist should be even better with the fact that it hits low. Besides one of our better players out here runs French twist on his firtune point team. Its a good all around assist.

I've not ever played MvC, but I asked a buddy why every team seems to have Doom on it. His response was that Doom just makes every team a little bit better. Is that what you mean?

I've not ever played MvC, but I asked a buddy why every team seems to have Doom on it. His response was that Doom just makes every team a little bit better. Is that what you mean?
Yeah, pretty much. Doom is the best support character in MvC3* but doesn't even show up on the lists of best point characters or anchors. Whether your poison is LK Bomber, MK Bomber, Cilia Slide (lol**), Luger, Fugazi, just catheads, or even Nightmare Legion, she's the salt that rounds out the taste of any team.

A while back we had a discussion about solos vs. teams and one of the points I was trying to get you to understand was that the worst teams are worse than the worst solos. Putting Double on your team with any of her top 3 assists will make it better than any solo. A semi-invincible, horizontal coverage, lockdown assist is like a hammer in a game full of nails.

*MvC2 Doom has good assists but nowhere near the best.
**I think Cilia Slide is a stupid gimmick that only contributes in situations where you'd already have good combo/mixup options. It's not too good for pressure and it's horrible in neutral.

I like cilia slide as a counterpick to armor heavy teams (BB and Bella).

Cilia Slide assist is actually really annoying when I'm trying to use Brass assist, and seeing Cilia Slide assist be useful at neutral is offensive to me in a way that I have trouble articulating

God, I keep forgetting Cilia Slide counts as a sweep when fucking Ringlet doesn't.

Why would ringlet count as a sweep?
It comes out from under your feet and trips your character. It looks more like a sweep than Cilia Slide, at the least.

Have you never played Mortal Kombat? Slide is the best sweep

isnt ringlet counted as a projectile? despite how much it looks like a physical attack

It is a projectile, but so is fukua's L shadow.

Ringlet doesn't feel like a sweep to me because vergil