• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

I know this isn't really gameplay discussion but anybody else feel like the new Bath of Sekmet music has an overly long into section? Like you can finish an entire match before you get to the main part of the song.
As I recall the original Bath theme also had a lengthy intro that was removed in a later update.

As I recall the original Bath theme also had a lengthy intro that was removed in a later update.
It did, but it was (or seemed to be) a lot shorter than the current one for Bath of Sekhmet.

I still like the new theme a lot!

Sehkmet is too low risk, you can only punish it with grabs and it's got all sorts of safe moves and push blocking pushes her too far away to grab as far as I can tell. Eliza already excels in pretty much every way so I'd really like to see something change or else I think we're going to see a very eliza dominated game as the meta evolves. Maybe give her a limit to her armor, or a damage bonus when she's hit, sort of like fortunes head.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only an intermediate player. I almost didn't post anything because I don't know if I'm just doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Stay away from sekhmet and watch the opponent bleed meter trying to hit you. Just look at how much meter it uses up by just doing j.M > s.H.

I'm still under the impression that sekhmet is bad outside of combo/conversion/hard-read purposes. It has absolutely no sort of mixup once it has done c.L and that in itself isn't hard to avoid.

Reactions: dead and Midiman
@RemiKz
Sekhmet's a she.

Sehkmet is too low risk, you can only punish it with grabs and it's got all sorts of safe moves
Throws are 7f startup.
Sekhmet s.L, s.Lx2, j.M, and s.H are -10.
s.Lx3 is -17.
c.L is -15 to -7 depending on distance.
s.M is -11.
None of those are safe from throws except by distancing herself properly.
Snapbacks are 12f startup and break Sekhmet's armor. Jump startup is 4f, and Sekhmet can't block. A snapback is a guaranteed punish on any of those attacks as well, from much further out...and you get a full combo if she's the last character.
Or you can run away, and camp on her anchor until she's forced to return.
She also only has one low.

Yes, she's good if you mash, but she's not nearly as good if you are patient. And if you recognize that she has nothing she can do after j.M except s.H, so it's ALWAYS going to be another overhead if she attacks again...

So question. So if our solution is to grab. do you suggest we dont follow up with the grab? Because once we do we're eliza back a good bunch of her meter iirc.

Of course we can reset to prevent this meter gain to happen but it must be early but scaling on meter bothered me for quite a long time.

Edit: why can sekhmet chip and call assist to return safely. the chip i can understand but calling assist is beyond me so please explain

So question. So if our solution is to grab. do you suggest we dont follow up with the grab? Because once we do we're eliza back a good bunch of her meter iirc.

Of course we can reset to prevent this meter gain to happen but it must be early but scaling on meter bothered me for quite a long time.

Edit: why can sekhmet chip and call assist to return safely. the chip i can understand but calling assist is beyond me so please explain

Yeah spending meter to get easy chip damage is something no other character in the game can do right?

Reactions: ReSpAwNz67

Sekh can't call assists while attacking so that's not really an issue is it

But...if your opponent weren't Sekhmet...they'd be up the extra meter from that combo, without having spent any. So what kind of sense does your comment even make? She's still down the meter that no other character would have spent, regardless of whether you gave her extra. If she ends up meter neutral, everyone else would have been meter positive...

but scaling on meter bothered me for quite a long time.
Okay, so the attacker should do damage, put the defender into an unfavorable situation on recovery that is completely in the attacker's control, and gain more meter as well?
Just a few more weeks, Mike...just a feeeeeewwwww moreeeee weeeeekssss...

She can't call while attacking...so she can call when she's allowed to because she's walking around, not having committed to anything. And losing meter. And can't block. And you can snap her, or hit the assist, or camp the anchor, and she has to either set it up or you need to let her do it.

Man and here I was all ready to put up this build but nope. This post + tired = enough for one night.

And can't block.
You say that like that's a huge deal. She can't block, but she doesn't need to. It's not like Sekhmet is exactly just combo fodder, walking around all vulnerable. Attacking her with anything is suicide.

Last edited:
Regarding snapbacks. I
should used only if you're about to die since you can switch but thats a temporary problem.

Oh @Jason pls. Deal with a hyper armor existence. you sarcastic remark is annoying Though but i guess well deserved.

Anyhow my advice has never changed: when you see sekmet. Hide like a bitch until some shit calls copter and goes back into eliza for some decent pressure. if the person does not have copter then camp near the anchor. Is that everyone's answer? You can always just attempt to grab her and depending on said character leads you no where BUT its certainly an Option

If WE, the community spent more time on learning how to deal with stuff as we did complaining about it, we would all be far better off. I spent way too much time ueQ~Queing about how dumb DP assists were rather than dealing with them and that didn't help me at all. It may be known that I really dislike Bella and tbh, I still don't LIKE Bella but I spent time trying to deal with her rather than ueQ~Que (ok I still do time to time, sorry Peck!) about her and I am now far better off for it.

You can dislike Eliza and I am not trying to say she isn't toptier/OP/dumb/annoying/president because honestly I don't care, that has little to do with what I am saying. I am just saying try level up your game, try Mike's advice and just in general get better at the match up.

Also honestly Sekhmet should be the LEAST of your worries when it comes to Eliza's kit.

Last edited:
I'm completely unconvinced that "throw" is a good answer to Sek which is unfortunate because it is very likely the only real offensive answer to Sek. The onus of proper spacing isn't on Sek, it is on her opponent. It is infinitely easy to stay out of throw range and hit as Sek and really quite hard to punish anything but the most obvious of calls.

Out of curiosity, what kind of damage can some of the combo monsters get out of Sek on a throw whiff punish? I'm guessing it is high?

In any case, if you see Sek... trying to punish is far too risky. Get the fuck away and let them burn meter or find a reliable hit grab like PWs Thresher.

Also, I took a small break and came back on Beowulf's release... you'd have thought it was Eliza's release date. When in the fuck did everyone put Eliza on their team?

Now how can someone suggest people get better at the matchup when there is too few compentent eliza's...guess ima have to wait till people ride on the eliza hype train to have people inspired to get good at eliza. until then watch us upback like a bitch so eliza can recall for.....
F R E E.

Reactions: zarkingphoton
Sekhmet can be a nuisance, but I never saw her as being overly advantageous. I usually just aim for a lvl 2 counter super or try to bait her out for a taunted lvl 1 SSJ. lvl 2, slaps her back into eliza, and gives a nasty punish, and taunted SSJ is just dope against her. if anything else, go for the grab.
Its Eliza's normals and nuetral game that tend to make me cuss like a sailor, not her Sekhmet.

Reactions: zarkingphoton
See, while this is true with her this is ALSO basically true with every other character so I don't see the issue.

I don't think this is the case any more. The game has been out long enough that most of the characters have plenty of competent players. Could we all afford to be better? Absolutely... but that doesn't mean that everyone is bad. This has been a common sentiment since I started with the PC release.

tell me right now who is the other character as of beowulf patch that there is too little of? Beowulf? Painwheel? Anyone else my mans?

I mean little of in terms of strong players, not just in general xD

But i'ma just leave it be ;__;

I still rarely come across anyone using anchor Ms. Fortune with Wheel of Fortune assist... if at all... TwT the struggle...

Sekhmet is easy as hell to punish so I don't really understand what the issue is since you already know what they're going to do. I mean you can always push block and have Sekhmet bleed meter like suggested before, snap her out and yea if she's the last character you get a free combo, you have Daisy Pusher that absolutely punishes j mp, you can DHC into Ultimate Showstopper from another super (like Double's car) for incredible damage and if you Devil Horns you get a free combo, you've got your head if you're Fortune to catch her with Nom, Argus does insane damage to Sekhement, A Train, Inevitable Snuggle, Buer Reaper, Beowulf can destroy her, and then Sekhemet has that weird hitstun thing she goes through if you hit her which not many people take advantage of.

I feel like last patch did what was needed to make her fair and not get crazy amounts of damage with a very small window to punish. The blockstun on j mp and s hp got nerfed as well as the damage of the moves in general. Keep in mind you're spending meter to even have her out. I believe Sekhemet is on a good place right now all things considered.

I still rarely come across anyone using anchor Ms. Fortune with Wheel of Fortune assist... if at all... TwT the struggle...
Ever since I got El Gato and Cat Slide I haven't looked back :3

Now how can someone suggest people get better at the matchup when there is too few compentent eliza's...guess ima have to wait till people ride on the eliza hype train to have people inspired to get good at eliza. until then watch us upback like a bitch so eliza can recall for.....
F R E E.

For free*

*after Eliza spent meter for no reason.

Is it time for an Eliza kumite with SonicFox and Woofly?!?!?!

F R E E.
Not for free. Just deciding to attack with Sekhmet uses up a chunk of meter. If the Eliza wants to for whatever reason chase you around with Sekhmet, that's time for you to reposition yourself and get near the anchor. If you block a single hit by Sekhmet then the mixup is already gone. If they call something like Copter before attacking then they REALLY aren't gonna mix you up due to absolute/perfect/immaculate/whatever it is/guard.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
If the Eliza wants to for whatever reason chase you around with Sekhmet, that's time for you to reposition yourself and get near the anchor.

That's also the time when she's gonna hit you lol. You best be careful when you try to get to the anchor or else your legs are going to be blessed.

Eliza is still really good, but she was like 20x better in the previous version where j.mk put you in a ridiculously unfair amount of blockstun and a reset/read with sek was your character.

I still think her level 3 does too much damage. Ah wells

For free*

*after Eliza spent meter for no reason.

*shrug* That's honestly fine. Characters like double blow all their meter at a chance to land a hit or control neutral and that's the exact same thing sek does. Except way spookier.

That's enough about spooky skeletons. Let's step aboard the AROOO train!!

Beowulf is really good. But the more I think about him the more I narrow down my complaints and only settle on Heavy Hurting Hurl being + on block. I feel like that's not ok. It's weakness is you can throw the start up, but I don't think that justifies it.

Thoughts? Are there bigger concerns? Can anybody other than sage play him well?

I just feel like once people realize what little Sekhmet can actually do to you, they realize she isn't as big of a deal as Eliza herself.

Sending out sekhmet can only hit you mid or high, no mixup involved here. Once you block the no-mixup, you can either pushhblock her away to avoid anything else or watch for her only mixup that is low > high, which stops being a mixup and a throw away of meter once you avoid the low.

I just feel like once people realize what little Sekhmet can actually do to you, they realize she isn't as big of a deal as Eliza herself.

Sending out sekhmet can only hit you mid or high, no mixup involved here. Once you block the no-mixup, you can either pushhblock her away to avoid anything else or watch for her only mixup that is low > high, which stops being a mixup and a throw away of meter once you avoid the low.
IAD jMK(blocked) xx M.Sekh + Squig cHP call / IAD jMK(blocked) xx M.Sekh, Squiq cHP call + cL/jM/sH; if blocked recall while they are locked down
Do mixups, see assist come in, reaction xx M.Sekh and deal half life damage to their assist rather than getting DPd out of IAD jHP
- Two very very basic uses, neither of which I would rate as "Sekh can do very little"

"Once you avoid the low" .. which one just magically does 100% of the time?

Sekhmet costs a lot less meter than what a plethora of other characters use to "safeishly" land hits on opponents (Bypass-Knives, Sing SBO, Catheads, Sniper, ..)

"Sekhmet costs like half a bar to do two mixups that may cost the opponent a character.. btw if you want to counter her, you can always just spend a full meter on 0 damage" stays a riot btw

- I would be a lot happier with Sekhmet if the initial call cost a nudge more meter, so mixups / anti-AAs (suspect the opponent goes for smth that would hit you out of jMK, Sekh M instead) / assist punishes / etc followed by "Sekhcall into assist+recall" at least put a dent on your resources
- Other option: Sekhmet call costs meter at the beginning of startup, not when Sekh is coming out. This would mean 1) getting CHd out of it makes you lose out on bar (more risk!) and 2) a watchful opponent can see the meter disappearing, recognize that Sekh is going to appear soon, and do whatever against it (block)

And yeah, Eliza has a good bunch of other shit, but at least that is interesting to play against.. Sekhmet is boredom incarnate

Last edited:
Whats the reason behind letting Beowulf do Wulf Blitzer/other actions? After his anti air grab super?

Whats the reason behind letting Beowulf do Wulf Blitzer/other actions? After his anti air grab super?
Because otherwise it's a free punish 100% of the time, as opposed to only being a free punish up close (which it is with everyone except PW, as I detailed a while ago). As it is now, he can only commit to one thing that changes his momentum, and everything he can do loses to whatever assist you want or DP or super etc.

@Dreamepitaph @IsaVulpes et al
You have successfully convinced me to unsubscribe from this thread, and not put up the build now either.
Congratulations, you all deserve a high-five. My enthusiasm for finishing SG is greatly diminished.

Because otherwise it's a free punish 100% of the time, as opposed to only being a free punish up close (which it is with everyone except PW, as I detailed a while ago). As it is now, he can only commit to one thing that changes his momentum, and everything he can do loses to whatever assist you want or DP or super etc.

Ah alright word I was just curious, smooches <3