• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

Can someone PM me to what exactly happened in the story because Im still confused.

I can't help but feel that in particular was a double pun.

In Zayn.

Loved the story, perfect ending and growth from the character... and I want that as a costume yup (I know it´s impossible but still!)

Also the NEW MUSIC track is awesomeee

Reactions: Osmiumsmith
Talking about the story.

Double mentions before receiving the final hit, that she would see them again. Can she come back from that?

Regeneration? Ressurrection? Imortality?

Does this mean she doesn't really die in the other stories?

Scythana showed up. Her foot. Just her foot. It's better than nothing, though.
OVd9Mo6.png

158042-spongebob-square-pants-look-gary-there-i-am-again-look.jpg

I dunno, I was so pent up and ready to play Beo's story mode that I didn't stop to, like, think about anything. I mean I kinda figured Zane was evil pretty early on, but I wasn't expecting him to be Double or anything.

Also I like how Double considers the greatest, most hype opponent possible for Beo to fight to be herself.

But other than that, yeah, it felt kinda short, kinda Annie-centric (I refuse to give DDB any ground so no compliments from me), it reminded me of some of the older story modes where you would just fight an unrelated character out of the blue.

Maybe it's just cause this is coming off of Eliza's story mode, it was still cool tho.

People saying that Annie's dominating Beowulf's story... kinda ticks me.

I mean, Annie's so awesome, she's even the Wiglaf of Beo's story, but Beowulf's still the main character of his Story.

Also weird how Empty Arena wasn't used aside from a conversation place for Beo and Annie.

And...

Yes I knew Double would disguise as Beowulf's manager

Reactions: Denizen
They missed a great 4th wall breaking moment. But that would have taken away from the actual story

People saying that Annie's dominating Beowulf's story... kinda ticks me.

I mean, Annie's so awesome, she's even the Wiglaf of Beo's story, but Beowulf's still the main character of his Story.

Also weird how Empty Arena wasn't used aside from a conversation place for Beo and Annie.

And...

Yes I knew Double would disguise as Beowulf's manager

She serves like an old master to his story. Just that. People just haven't calmed down from the hype.

Oh btw why is Dr. Avian in the last picture of the story mode? He was killed after Beo fought Big Band....right?

I knew there would be some people that wouldn't care for this story arc. It involves a lot of the secondary character (Annie), and does not reveal much in the way of Skullgirls lore. It also dashes people's hopes that Beowulf was a prince, a superhuman, or something else special. Some people need main characters with big stories with godly powers, and this certainly was not that.

For me, though, it had the most satisfying arc of any Skullgirls story mode. I know you may say, "but Kai, of course you like this story mode, it's the character you voiced!" Perhaps. But I think I would've liked it the most regardless, and I'll tell you why:

So much of who we think we are is based on what people *tell us* we are. If the crowd chants your name, you must be a hero, right? And if your entire reason for being known is revealed to be a fabrication, you're obviously a fraud. A beloved hero can be turned into a shell of himself when his legacy is shattered.

But like an aging quarterback pushing past two linebackers to make it into the inzone in the finals seconds of the super bowl, a pitcher slamming home one last fastball to end his career on a world series win, or a warrior killing his opponent even as he himself is run through with a blade, a true hero is not made by crowds. A true hero is always a hero, no matter what. Humiliation, defeat, and death can stare a hero in the face, and the hero will press onward despite it all. They're heroes because that's all they know to do, it's part of their essence, something they tap into when their energy is completely exhausted.

After it's been revealed that his win against Grendel wasn't fair, and he may not be the hero we thought he was...
... he stares down the Skullgirls, wrestles her 1-on-1...
... and rips her arm off with his bare hands.

In the end, he was that hero all along.

He's another example of that eternal lesson we can see anytime a person does the impossible: nothing can extinguish the flame of a fighter who refuses to give up.
So yeah, I liked it a lot. It had a ton of things I like: bravado, self-doubt, buddy team-up action, overcoming impossible odds... you name it. I really take my hat off to the writing team for turning out a story that brought more to the table. I think I liked Squigly's story mode for the exact same reason: she had to overcome an extremely personal adversary in the end, not just the Skullgirl.

Beowulf's story asks of him the question we're all forced to face at some point in our lives: "What is left of a man, when you have taken everything from him?"

I liked that he's a loveable moron who makes mistakes and is somewhat fallible...instead of rahhhhh im so strong win all the fights ever grahh! like some people seem to have wanted..The whole grendel was drugged thing recalls in my mind the beowulf from that god awful robert zemeckis movie..but it really does give the character depth rather than making him a douche which is a huge plus. He doesn't really know that anything was amiss in that fight..it was just another fight. Blood knight through and through..He really is a rounded character.

and it really was all about wrestling in a sense which i loved...the washed up wrestler goes out to fight one more time for the fans. so good.gif

the only weak point I found was beowulf's reaction to grendel being drugged..he kinda blows it off and is all ehh whatever I'll go fight the skullgirl now..but that could just be him being dumb as a bag of hammers..its no time for pathos more suplexes.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only weak point I found was beowulf's reaction to grendel being drugged..he kinda blows it off and is all ehh whatever I'll go fight the skullgirl now..but that could just be him being dumb as a bag of hammers..its no time for pathos more suplexes.
Yeah, this is just a case of, "the AROO TRAIN only has one speed, baby!"

Reactions: Wenzel
pk soI think I may have found that supposedly still frame phyre was talking about in the interveiw.

and finally Charlie Brown is now in Skullgirls Canon

Man i feel bad of not having noticed that one!

DECEPTION, REVELATION, REDEMPTION, HEROISM, STAR★WULF
BEST STORY MODE HANDS DOWN. I CAN'T EVEN THINK RIGHT NOW.

I knew there would be some people that wouldn't care for this story arc. It involves a lot of the secondary character (Annie), and does not reveal much in the way of Skullgirls lore. It also dashes people's hopes that Beowulf was a prince, a superhuman, or something else special. Some people need main characters with big stories with godly powers, and this certainly was not that.

For me, though, it had the most satisfying arc of any Skullgirls story mode. I know you may say, "but Kai, of course you like this story mode, it's the character you voiced!" Perhaps. But I think I would've liked it the most regardless, and I'll tell you why:

So much of who we think we are is based on what people *tell us* we are. If the crowd chants your name, you must be a hero, right? And if your entire reason for being known is revealed to be a fabrication, you're obviously a fraud. A beloved hero can be turned into a shell of himself when his legacy is shattered.

But like an aging quarterback pushing past two linebackers to make it into the inzone in the finals seconds of the super bowl, a pitcher slamming home one last fastball to end his career on a world series win, or a warrior killing his opponent even as he himself is run through with a blade, a true hero is not made by crowds. A true hero is always a hero, no matter what. Humiliation, defeat, and death can stare a hero in the face, and the hero will press onward despite it all. They're heroes because that's all they know to do, it's part of their essence, something they tap into when their energy is completely exhausted.

After it's been revealed that his win against Grendel wasn't fair, and he may not be the hero we thought he was...
... he stares down the Skullgirls, wrestles her 1-on-1...
... and rips her arm off with his bare hands.

In the end, he was that hero all along.

He's another example of that eternal lesson we can see anytime a person does the impossible: nothing can extinguish the flame of a fighter who refuses to give up.
Kai Kennedy, Beowulf's story touched me deeply, but it's in my nature to hold back my tears. This though, this is the moment that watered my eyes. This story and your words have rekindled my desire to complete the quest I've set out for myself; To be a hero like Beowulf, the kind of hero you're talking about. I really can't think of much else to say right now, considering all the excitement. So I'll just say thanks.
Thanks to you, Lab Zero, and The Wulf Pack, for giving me this.

btw it's scary how I've watched enough of Night Phyre's streams and played against enough beowulf to hear his voice in my head as I'm reading his story parts. Never had that with the other character's story modes.

Reactions: Kuzlalala and Kai
Man i feel bad of not having noticed that one!
Time to make a long theory about it!

....just joking

So anyone here sees a connection with DBZ's Hercule and Beowulf.
I mean both are not bad at fighting and in Hercule's case, (the strongest non-Z warrior human, since he won all the matches in the tournaments he participated in until he was famous and the Z-warriors started to join in) and Beowulf maybe being the strongest regular joe-human in the Skullgirls world. Then the personalities are really really really the same, like being strong headed, not knowing when to quit, a little dumb, etc...
I mean he also is friends with the nicer side of an evil person (fat buu = nun Double)

I mean that's just a quick thing of something I thought about when I played this story mode.

And hey who doesn't like Mr. Mark "Hercule" Satan

Last edited:
So anyone here sees a connection with DBZ's Hercule and Beowulf.
Nope, none at all.
EDIT: Actually yes in personality, but that's where it ends.

Oh btw why is Dr. Avian in the last picture of the story mode? He was killed after Beo fought Big Band....right?
Stanley could have fixed him, I dunno
Maybe he is a ghost!
ghostobiwan.jpg

But for real what happened there?

Yo, seriously guys, stop with the spoiler tags. They're really bugging me.

Anyone who comes in here knows there's going to be endless spoilers, it's on them if they see stuff they didn't want to.

Spoilers spoilers spoilers.

GrendelMarie.png

Double Annie.png

Annie and The Wulf.PNG

Stanley could have fixed him, I dunno
Maybe he is a ghost.
But for real what happened there?
I just figure that in this timeline BB gets back to the lab in time to save everyone. Every story line is still a what if, so they don't all mesh properly.

Last edited:
The whole story felt like a tease for "haha this is what you could have gotten if you voted for annie" but im still in love with beowulf and his story was so satisfying so awesome!

only important question is why was double wearing those SICK SHADES under zane's costume? did she just want to swag the fuck out? she looked swagged out.

Also loving how that last outfit was the mystery palette, real nice.

Seeing the capabilities of Double in the story mode and then some, she's starting to be one of my favorite characters. That face she pulled when Annie sliced her was the Nightmare Fuel I enjoyed.

More to say on the Gigans. I was really sad to see that Grendel died, but it's worth it to craft such a touching story. Also Grendel's mother is as big as I expected her to be, even if she was elderly she couldn't have been a pushover.

Beowulf really is phenomenal.