• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

It doesn't matter if you can get him by playing the game, people will see this as on disc dlc, that is what basically it is.
I don't remember people complaining about Sin.

Elphelt sure, but you couldn't just unlock her.

Would you really think that making a character on disk be unlockable with money is a good idea?

It doesn't matter if you can get him by playing the game, people will see this as on disc dlc, that is what basically it is.

Actually it does matter. All games that have this kind of format for content have not been brought under fire unless the in-game requirement is prohibitively arduous.

Remember, there isn't any "Pay2Win" content in Street Fighter.

But is capcom.

People will make the connection with SFxT instantly if they have any kind of on-disc content that you can get with real money.
The gaming press will also make noise about that too.
That will hurt the game.

Elphelt sure, but you couldn't just unlock her.

Her being DLC was the least complained about aspect of her lol.

Would you really think that making a character on disk be unlockable with money is a good idea?

Paying for convenience is not the same. It's like buying level-ups in an rpg (I'd never do it). Who would complain about being given the option to pay, as long as the playing requirements are reasonable and the price (for those who want convenience) is reasonable?

But is capcom.

People will make the connection with SFxT instantly if they have any kind of on-disc content that you can get with real money.
The gaming press will also make noise about that too.
That will hurt the game.
The reason people dislike on-disc DLC is that it physically requires time and money being taken away from the base game. Content is being stripped away from the game for more profit. DLC works best as something worked on AFTER the release of the actual game, financed with the profit from the base game, as something that adds to the experience, not takes away.

Sin from Guilty Gear Xrd isn't a problem because you're paying to get him faster then you would otherwise. It is possible to get him without money, and he wasn't taken from the base release for extra profit.

The reason people dislike on-disc DLC is that it physically requires time and money being taken away from the base game. Content is being stripped away from the game for more profit. DLC works best as something worked on AFTER the release of the actual game, financed with the profit from the base game, as something that adds to the experience, not takes away.

Sin from Guilty Gear Xrd isn't a problem because you're paying to get him faster then you would otherwise. It is possible to get him without money, and he wasn't taken from the base release for extra profit.
I was talking about the idea of having a secret character on disc, that you can get with money.

I'm not talking about future releases or dlcs, i'm fine with those.

Paying for convenience is not the same. It's like buying level-ups in an rpg (I'd never do it). Who would complain about being given the option to pay, as long as the playing requirements are reasonable and the price (for those who want convenience) is reasonable?

Here, all games with paid content that i played, were free to play, so paying for a convenience, makes sense.

Now let's say, Akuma is a secret character in SFV, and he is in the disc, he is complete, he was done with the first 16 characters, he is NOT DLC. And you already paid, what? 60 dollars for the game? I personally don't care that much, i can play some hours to unlock him (and i guess i wouldn't even try to unlock him honestly), but gaming press, and a lot of people would make noise: "hey, capcom with their trash business models as always, with paid on disc dlc".

If capcom is smart, they are not doing stuff like that, is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is bad for capcom at this point.

Last edited:
I was talking about the idea of having a secret character on disc, that you can get with money.
I know but you're comparing it to the on-disc DLC of the likes of SFxT as an example. I'm saying that the chances of people getting angry is unlikely because the reason people dislike on-disc DLC doesn't apply here

I know but you're comparing it to the on-disc DLC of the likes of SFxT as an example. I'm saying that the chances of people getting angry is unlikely because the reason people dislike on-disc DLC doesn't apply here

People will get angry at everything. Salt is inevitable. Meaningless salt.

People complained recently about DMC4: SE giving you the option to pay for orbs and proud souls (currency of the game), something that you don't need to spend a lot of time to get in game.

It is capcom, they don't have much respect in the dlc and paid content field of things.

I personally don't have a problem with that, but i think it will be a stupid decision if they take this route.

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
It is capcom, they don't have much respect in the dlc and paid content field of things.

I personally don't have a problem with that, but i think it will be a stupid decision if they take this route.
Personally I don't have a problem with it (and I'm saying this as someone who loathes most DLC practices). As long as it is possible to realistically get the content without money, I don't mind.
Why do you dislike it (I'm not saying this in a rude way or anything, I just want to know your opinion!)?

i should be able to pay so that in my next match, my character has An Actual Gun and then I just shoot the other person at the start of the match and I win

Personally I don't have a problem with it (and I'm saying this as someone who loathes most DLC practices). As long as it is possible to realistically get the content without money, I don't mind.
Why do you dislike it (I'm not saying this in a rude way or anything, I just want to know your opinion!)?
I don't have a problem(not a signifcant one) with that, i'm saying it is stupid, in a sense that will not end very well for the public eye if they do that.
Just to be specific, i'm saying this about characters on disc being unlockable by real money.

I don't have a problem(not a signifcant one) with that, i'm saying it is stupid, in a sense that will not end very well for the public eye if they do that.
Just to be specific, i'm saying this about characters on disc being unlockable by real money.
And this is where we're disagreeing with you. You're saying that people will be butthurt, but I think at most you'll have a smattering of complaints from outliers followed by absolutely nothing, because this is not like SFxT, nor is it even close to what other genres are doing.

It will only be a problem if the initial unlock will be so arduous that players will feel like there's too much of a wall to be overcome in unlocking the character. There is a line between "classic char unlocking experience" and "predatory DLC practices".

Unlockables with fair conditions to be unlocked have never been much of a problem ( Mu-12, Sin )
Unlockables with moderately slow conditions are a problem for tournaments and gatherings ( SFIV (Vanilla) Console )
Unlockables with fair conditions and a Key that you can purchase are not a problem ( BlazBlue Unlimited Characters, Mu-12, Sin )
On-Disc content that is not unlockable without paying for a Key is a problem ( Elphelt, SFxT extra roster, Terumi...?! )

something like that. EDIT: If I messed up those char names, tell me. I don't remember nothin' bout no video game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Professor Icepick

This. After what happened with SFxT, any on disc DLC would be a PR nightmare for them.

People who don't understand likely don't realize how much of a scandal the on disc DLC in that game caused. It's one of the things that helped kill that game.

Last edited:

I dunno, I remember many people complaining "What happened to good, old unlocking of characters by playing?".

That's pretty much the same thing. Some people may even see it as adding to gameplay as it gives you goals to strive for.

I dunno, I remember many people complaining "What happened to good, old unlocking of characters by playing?".

That's pretty much the same thing. Some people may even see it as adding to gameplay as it gives you goals to strive for.
People need to remember that the competitive community generally doesn't like unlockable characters. Combine this with the greater role of eSports/competitive gaming, and you can see why you have people saying that the concept of unlockable characters is obsolete.

Look at Skullgirls, even if the game had "unlockable" characters, they were unlockable only in story mode. You could simply ignore that and go straight to training and versus modes to play them.

Dead or Alive 5 had something similar, while it had unlockable characters that you had to play Story Mode for, turning on "Exhibition Mode" automatically unlocked them for Versus.

Reactions: Wenzel
The question is will it be more profitable to cater to eSport or "average consumer" side of things? Cause SFV isn't quite reaching the LoL size just yet.

Not to mention the point Capcom has been pushing since the beginning is that it's supposed to be a game accessible for everyone, meaning features liked by people who play only at home for fun should be taking priority.

You don't need to target one or the other when you can just have all the original roster unlocked by default, and sell Characters as DLC. They're probably going to take a decent loss ( haha probably just 5% or less, really ) by people who are going to grind up to unlock characters via Fight Money and not Zenny.

There are probably many other features like cosmetics, fun modes, aesthetic upgrades or changes, and such that they can monetize.

The question is will it be more profitable to cater to eSport or "average consumer" side of things? Cause SFV isn't quite reaching the LoL size just yet.

Not to mention the point Capcom has been pushing since the beginning is that it's supposed to be a game accessible for everyone, meaning features liked by people who play only at home for fun should be taking priority.
Except the big push in this game with things like rollback netcode, cross play, the betas, the Capcom Fighters Network, and more, has been towards competitive play online (and offline).

Also, by being accessible, what they're referring to is the gameplay itself with via things like easier inputs as well as a 3 frame buffer for links inside combos.

Except the big push in this game with things like rollback netcode, cross play, the betas, the Capcom Fighters Network, and more, has been towards competitive play online (and offline).

Also, by being accessible, what they're referring to is the gameplay itself with via things like easier inputs as well as a 3 frame buffer for links inside combos.

Did you miss the teasing of all new kind of Story Mode? Not gonna be surprised if they throw in some "for fun modes". They are totally going to copy MKX which is the best at getting casuals to play BTW. :P

I also don't see how roll-back netcode and crossplay is a tourney thing instead of home thing. I mean you use it at home not on tourneys and roll-back is simply objectively better than others.

Except that they said already that they are going to use the online in the capcom pro tour somehow.

Street Fighter V, is going to be very e-sport.

Did you miss the teasing of all new kind of Story Mode? Not gonna be surprised if they throw in some "for fun modes". They are totally going to copy MKX which is the best at getting casuals to play BTW. :P

I also don't see how roll-back netcode and crossplay is a tourney thing instead of home thing. I mean you use it at home not on tourneys and roll-back is simply objectively better than others.
Competitive play doesn't necessarily mean tournaments. It means means making sure that people are playing the game against other people online and offline.

Reactions: Wenzel
But eSport, which was the word you kept using, does.

Honestly those upgrades sound more like "making the game generally more pleasant and functional" than "eSport focus".

Also about something earlier:

Yes, which means it's easier to play, which means more casuals. I don't see the point of this clarification.

Street Fighter is the closest fighting game to being e-sport.

They said that they are implementing the capcom pro tour on SFV online, this is COMPETITIVE play.

Also, the money that sony is dumping in the capcom pro tour.

Street Fighter V, plans to gather casuals, while aiming to become more and more competitive. Just like league of legends.

Reactions: d3v
SF it´s not a eSport/ competitive play, really? lmao I don´t see stream "completeting the Story Mode" or people just argy about the lore of SF Universe only, people PLAY the game, and mostly competitive.

If 1 need to choose 1 FG to "represent" what a eSport it´s, I choose SF for al the @d3v points.

But eSport, which was the word you kept using, does.

Honestly those upgrades sound more like "making the game generally more pleasant and functional" than "eSport focus".

Also about something earlier:

Yes, which means it's easier to play, which means more casuals. I don't see the point of this clarification.
But the point is still to encourage those casuals to play multiplayer modes to help expand the online playerbase, which helps the game as an eSport, which in turn keeps the game alive, and drives sales further. I've worked for and with various companies involved with eSports and run my own CPT event, so I know how this works. It's in Capcom's best interest to focus on and expand the playerbase, even just for online multiplayer.

Heck, while we haven't gotten official confirmation, all sources seem to point to Fight Money being earnable only in online mode. The fact that this is supposed to be tested in the betas supports this.

Finally, I highly doubt that the game's own associate producer, someone who came from the competitive community, would support something he knows that the competitive community generally doesn't like.

SF it´s not a eSport/ competitive play, really?

Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm saying that from what I see the focus of SFV is first and foremost on getting the casual players interested and only after that eSports.

But the point is still to encourage those casuals to play multiplayer modes to help expand the online playerbase, which helps the game as an eSport, which in turn keeps the game alive, and drives sales further. I've worked for and with various companies involved with eSports and run my own CPT event, so I know how this works. It's in Capcom's best interest to focus on and expand the playerbase, even just for online multiplayer..

Which all boils down to needing new players and needing something to attract them in the first place. Therefore it's casual player focused so unlockable characters are OK cause people like that love unlocking stuff. :P (which was the very first point of this discussion) Of course "Fight money only online" could ruin that, but I'm gonna wait and see if that is true first.

Which all boils down to needing new players and needing something to attract them in the first place. Therefore it's casual player focused so unlockable characters are OK cause people like that love unlocking stuff. :P (which was the very first point of this discussion) Of course "Fight money only online" could ruin that, but I'm gonna wait and see if that is true first.
Unlockable characters are only acceptable if they follow the Skullgirls model where they're unlocked by default in Versus, Training and Online. I mean, wasn't it Mike himself who said that having to play singleplayer modes just to be able to use content for multiplayer modes was dumb.

Gawd, I can't believe I'm actually having this discussion in this forum of all places. Or are there people here who are actually disappointed that people could play Double and Valentine in versus mode in Skullgirls without having to unlock them first in story mode?

I think it's 5 frames now.

Out of curiosity, what does frame leniency mean? I assume it means that you have more frames to hit the button, but I don't imagine it actually gives you more frame advantage on your moves.

So if I were to hit the button slightly later than the window, my move will still come out... but how do they compensate for the lenient frames so I don't get a benefit by hitting the button late?

The leniency will be before the link, not after.

Let's say, if you have two buttons that link together, and you have 2 frames to do that link. With the 3 frame input leniency, you have 3 frames before those 2 frames to execute.

So, it will be easy to double tap or press quickly the buttons.

Sorry, sfV leniency is 2 frames for all we know, making the tightest link, 3 frames.

So if I were to hit the button slightly later than the window, my move will still come out...
It only applies earlier, which means if you hit the attack slightly early it will still come out.

Wow, 5 frames? I remember barely screwing up 2-frame links. If they overdo the leniency it will start feeling like a Dial-a-Combo.

Where did you get that?
You're going to hate me, but it's by feel. The leniency for reversal throw seems reaaaaally large, so maybe there's differences across the board.

Looking it up, at least one interview says that the buffer size changes constantly.

Wow, 5 frames? I remember barely screwing up 2-frame links. If they overdo the leniency it will start feeling like a Dial-a-Combo.

BlazBlue certainly doesn't feel like Dial-a-Combo. Dial-a-combo happens when you implement systems like NRS does, which moves cancel windows closer to startup and makes the entire startup of attacks count as bufferable windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spencer
People need to remember that the competitive community generally doesn't like unlockable characters. Combine this with the greater role of eSports/competitive gaming, and you can see why you have people saying that the concept of unlockable characters is obsolete.

Look at Skullgirls, even if the game had "unlockable" characters, they were unlockable only in story mode. You could simply ignore that and go straight to training and versus modes to play them.

Dead or Alive 5 had something similar, while it had unlockable characters that you had to play Story Mode for, turning on "Exhibition Mode" automatically unlocked them for Versus.
Just as I see reason why people call it obsolete I also see why others don't; a lot of people enjoy unlocking things. Look at the concept of trophies, they technically don't make the game better, but a lot of people like the sense of accomplishment associated with it. I don't. Out of all the trophies I have I only felt accomplishment with one or two.

That said, the games you listed did unlocking differently (and arguably better), but needing to unlock characters or gameplay augmenting items is only problematic if unlocking them is difficult, takes a long time, and/or save sharing/copying isn't allowed.
I understand people have different opinions and taste (and they're entitled to them), but I just find it hard to sympathize when some people complain about spending all of 15-30 minutes (maybe an hour) out of the thousands of hours they'll be playing to unlock a boss character :\

All that matters to me are if the options given (unlock time/method/price) are reasonable. Take smash4 for example; unlocking characters was reasonable (takes about an hour or so iirc), but unlocking customs was bull **** in terms of time/methods and there was no option to purchase it.

Honestly, nothing will change with SFV. We either grind to unlock dlc characters for free or pay money. The only difference is when and how often it happens.

Man eSports talk is boring

Can we talk about the actual game (sky protection is still assured, Laura looks like a great character so far but isn't worth screwing over the plans of cinnamon bun Ono)