• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Why would you defend Super Paper Mario?

Everyone knows that game fell flat.

it was too backtracky for my tastes. every chapter had you going back and forth and back forth
it was tiring
but the gameplay was definitely great and the characters were all solid
except TEC that shit was creepy but he was cool by the end i guess

oh no
subspace emissary was garbage too, it just had Peach and she was fun to watch, also delicious words that you're putting in my mouth
SPM is just a garbage story with mario characters tacked on
like you could replace them with generic rpg characters and it wouldn't be any different
The other PM games are at least the regular "save them princess peaches, yo" it's what mario does
not this some ~*~*~*~*~*~tragic~*~*~*~*~*~ fop that wants to kill everyone because he's sad and the his butterfly waifu that couldn't be interesting if she was ripping heads off and shooting lasers
save that shit for other games, not Paper Mario

And you could make any depressed RPG character and give them a mystic dance based on how tortured they are and how nobody pays attention to them that just throws a bunch of status effect at the nearby opponents.

At least we can all agree that The Thousand Year Door is the best game in the series if not one of the best games of all time right
Does super mario RPG count?

oh no
subspace emissary was garbage too, it just had Peach and she was fun to watch, also delicious words that you're putting in my mouth
SPM is just a garbage story with mario characters tacked on
like you could replace them with generic rpg characters and it wouldn't be any different
The other PM games are at least the regular "save them princess peaches, yo" it's what mario does
not this some ~*~*~*~*~*~tragic~*~*~*~*~*~ fop that wants to kill everyone because he's sad and the his butterfly waifu that couldn't be interesting if she was ripping heads off and shooting lasers
save that shit for other games, not Paper Mario
I can't say I was attached to the story, I can agree on that. Pretty generic love story tbh.
But some of the characters were very likable. Particularly every villain besides count bleck. And count bleck when he isn't talking about having an affair with a butterfly. And luigi and bowser.
And then there's the fan-fucking-tastic gameplay, but you know I guess we aren't talking about that.
If the story was changed to be a bit less cheesy and more about how great Dimentio is, and they made the god damn caveman level less shit, it would have been better than thousand year door imo.
...Funny how this all sounds an awful lot like kingdom hearts, in retrospect. Awful, cheesy story that's insanely convoluted, but good characters and great gameplay that make up for it.

Does super mario RPG count?

I don't count that in either the Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi series just cause of how different it is, regardless of how it was the basis for both. Amazing game still though.

And interestingly, it was in Brawl's chronicle, making me really wonder why they couldn't use the remix of Beware the Forest Mushrooms.

And interestingly, it was in Brawl's chronicle, making me really wonder why they couldn't use the remix of Beware the Forest Mushrooms.
You don't need any rights to mention a game.
You need an awful lot of rights to use music composed for it.

I normally respect people's opinions but fuck you

Super Paper Mario was a great game in it's own right. It was different but still fun.

Now if you said Sticker Star, yeah. That game blowed. BUT SUPER PAPER MARIO HAS AN AWESOME STORY AND THEMES AND SHIT

Blumiere and Timpani's story made me shed manly tears.

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN. (Nothing to do with today being St. Patrick's Day)

Speaking of Mario RPG.
For a Mario RPG rep.
Paper Mario with partner assists, or a cel Shaded Mario & Luigi Tag Team?

Paper Mario. He doesn't need assists. He has badges.
Hammer Throw, Quake Hammer, Super Jump, Zap Tap, the Star Powers. All that.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Paper Mario. He doesn't need assists. He has badges.
Hammer Throw, Quake Hammer, Super Jump, Zap Tap, the Star Powers. All that.

When's Goombella's Tattle on all the characters?

I can't say I was attached to the story, I can agree on that. Pretty generic love story tbh.
But some of the characters were very likable. Particularly every villain besides count bleck. And count bleck when he isn't talking about having an affair with a butterfly. And luigi and bowser.
And then there's the fan-fucking-tastic gameplay, but you know I guess we aren't talking about that.
If the story was changed to be a bit less cheesy and more about how great Dimentio is, and they made the god damn caveman level less shit, it would have been better than thousand year door imo.
...Funny how this all sounds an awful lot like kingdom hearts, in retrospect. Awful, cheesy story that's insanely convoluted, but good characters and great gameplay that make up for it.

This minus the part about the caveman level.
I actually liked that level.
But yeah.

so how about that Smash Ball redesign
daily-2014-03-17.jpg

which is weird cause in the villager promo art it's the classic Smash Ball
daily-2013-06-12.jpg

Do you think it just goes through more colors now maybe?

what if
SUPER Smash Balls
and they give you your
Final SUPER Smash

This minus the part about the caveman level.
I actually liked that level.
But yeah.
Not really the whole level, just that bullshit where you have to hit the blocks in the right order to pass through the first bit of the level. The first time it was still a pretty bad part of the level but it wasn't terrible, the second time was ridiculous. That's some Simon's Quest tier bad level design right there.

GUYS I'M TRYING TO GET BACK ON TOPIC BEFORE JUTSEI FUCKING PASSIVE AGGRESSIVES HIS WAY BACK ONTO TOPIC AND YOU JUST KEEP BRINGING IT UP STOP AND TALKING ABOUT THE FUCKING SMASH BALLS

gee
SPM had poor design
who'd have thunk it
Ruin please

GUYS I'M TRYING TO GET BACK ON TOPIC BEFORE JUTSEI FUCKING PASSIVE AGGRESSIVES HIS WAY BACK ONTO TOPIC AND YOU JUST KEEP BRINGING IT UP STOP AND TALKING ABOUT THE FUCKING SMASH BALLS
Just let it happen, man.

Not really the whole level, just that bullshit where you have to hit the blocks in the right order to pass through the first bit of the level. The first time it was still a pretty bad part of the level but it wasn't terrible, the second time was ridiculous. That's some Simon's Quest tier bad level design right there.

What I meant was, it wasn't good,
I remember spending a ridiculous amount of time on that level,
but I enjoyed it.

But I can't really think of another part that I remember being bad, game-design wise.
Maybe the part where you had to find the golden chocolate bar behind that one meteor?

So guys how about E3 is in 3 months. Can we all speculate about what huge info we'd get from that? (I don't know how to break up this feud)

probably a few new characters all at once
maybe a 3rd third party character
a much wanted veteran perhaps
in terms of smash bros that is

I hope we get another Developer's Direct soon/potentially at E3/at all.
The last one really helped at deciphering the newcomers' movesets and I really want to figure out Mac and Rosalina.

So guys how about E3 is in 3 months. Can we all speculate about what huge info we'd get from that? (I don't know how to break up this feud)

I'm going to say the same thing as last year.
A new "general" CG trailer that is/contains footage from the game's intro that also introduces a new character
At the end a surprise character, either third, second or a highly requested first party
And then one more sometime soon later after the conference

And then a few Developer Directs and maybe a match between Sakurai and Inafune

None of you think they'd let the public give Smash a little trial with a build that would show off only revealed characters? It'd be locked on versus mode only, surely giving away a character select screen isn't that important.

Brawl had a limited run with a few characters at certain events, so it's not unheard of, but at the same time I think Sakurai is so worried with public image, especially regarding how "pro" players view it, that he might not show it off until it's good and ready for him. Cause it'd be bad for him to release a playable demo that's not fully completed and too Brawl like, making all the pro players dismiss it way before release.

oh yeah
there's definitely enough characters for a build
an open demo would be pretty good too

It'd be cool and it's definitely possible, but I wouldn't say it's garunteed or even that it's necessary. I think we're getting a newcomer at the very very least, probably a particularly hype one/ heavily demanded one.
And maybe there'll be a demo in addition.

I think since it's E3 we might get multiple characters revealed
maybe

None of you think they'd let the public give Smash a little trial with a build that would show off only revealed characters? It'd be locked on versus mode only, surely giving away a character select screen isn't that important.

I'd think that's a given. They always have demos for upcoming games at E3.

What I'm more interested in is if they'll have Smash 4 in some form at EVO.

Who am I kidding, that would make sense. Everyone knows Nintendo's mortal enemy is common sense.

not like the EVO crew would pay it any mind anyway

They literally only need a 5 second clip of Captain Falcon kneeing someone as they try to recover on Final Destination to hype the Melee crowd.

there's probably a few unlockables shown already
Luigi's never been in the starting roster for example

Everyone knows that game fell flat.

You haven't played Sticker Star then. That one is the worst in the series.