• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Going back to the Find Mii in the cage thing, you know what I think it'll be?

You know how you chose a Mii for your profile on Kid Icarus and Mario Kart Wii? Well, I'm thinking because of the Global Smash Power, profiles (and names above characters) will be linked to Miis, meaning that one person's profile Mii from the match (or just yours if you're playing against computers) will be chosen to be the hostage on the map.

also
tumblr_n3r5zoQeXm1ryhnd5o3_1280.png

Last edited:
Change "Chikorita" to "Chimchar" and "Gen 4 starters" to "Gen 3 starters" and we've got an idea going!

It's just Charizard is even lower than shit tier.

Reactions: loonieboy9697
the worst starter is blaziken
the best fire starter is infernape
charizard is solid mid-tier

one stealth rock on charizard and he goes down like a babby though.

Yeah well your opinion is objectively wrong because a combination of personal aesthetic preference and childhood memories makes me like a different starter more than the one that you like.

Sooo.
If we're getting any Zelda newcomers, shit's getting slim.
Midna and Impa were snipped and they were...they weren't likely but they were wanted to some degree.
I think the big four people want now are: Tetra, Tingle, Ghirahim, and Vaati.
And to be honest the sheer fact Shiek is by herself now kinda helps Tetra.

Not sure if was brought up yet, but the Greninja trailer actually showed us our Wii U Pokemon stage, The Kalos Elite 4 Building:
iZDHz9J.jpg

I also noticed there were different variations on the stage. The screenshot here is in the water room, but during the video there was also gameplay shown in the dragon room. It might be randomized every time you play or move through the rooms as you play, but seems like a cool addition. Not my personal choice, but not a bad one. Just wish we had a gen 5 stage like N's castle or Plasma Frigate.

Also, bit of trivia: for people like me that counted PT as one character, Charizard and Greninja brings the number of Pokemon reps to 4, the same number as in Melee and Brawl. If we can still think of Jigglypuff as returning, that will give Pokemon the same number as Mario in Melee and 3DU, and be the most Pokemon has had in one game (unless you count PT as 3 characters.)

Such a silly arbitrary way to count characters. Why count them by the number of slots they fill rather than the number of characters you can actually play as? And now that Sakurai has done away with this it makes it look even dumber. You have to count each one as a separate character. There are 4 confirmed playable pokemon for Smash 4, and there were 6 in Brawl. Jigglypuff is likely going to be our 5th, and if we're super lucky we'll get Mewtwo as a 6th. On the flip side we could have Ivysaur and Squirtle return (very unlikely though) as their own characters bringing it up to 7. Or we could have all 4 of them bringing it up to 8 (not happening). The only thing we can be 99% sure about is Jigglypuff returning.

Sooo.
If we're getting any Zelda newcomers, shit's getting slim.
Midna and Impa were snipped and they were...they weren't likely but they were wanted to some degree.
I think the big four people want now are: Tetra, Tingle, Ghirahim, and Vaati.
And to be honest the sheer fact Shiek is by herself now kinda helps Tetra.

Personally I think unless they want to utilize pokemon trainer's mechanics for a Majora's Mask young link we're about done with zelda characters. The cast of notable characters who would make good playable characters looks pretty slim. Tetra and Vaati would make good assist trophies and Tingle is already one himself (and should stay there the creepy fairy)
Zant could potentially make a good character and it would add another Zelda villain to the roster.

I also noticed there were different variations on the stage. The screenshot here is in the water room, but during the video there was also gameplay shown in the dragon room.
Actually that's the beginning room of the E4 where you first step into the E4 challenge and the 4 doors are on various sides. I can imagine it cycling through the E4 and then the champion until we battle for long enough that we just fight in the player's room back in home town. That'd be pretty lolzy.

Yeah, the E4 room looks super good.

But I wouldn't say that, I think we could get a new Zelda character.
Tingle was suspiciously absent from the Assist Trophy showcase...

Honestly, if you don't understand the hype for Smash Run (I've seen a few) play Kirby Air Ride's City Trial.

It's the best mutliplayer experience ever.

What if I'm not getting the 3DS version? So no hype for me. Besides, how would City Trial work in 2D?

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and guess SSB 3DS will be out in August/September

Then December for Wii U
Thats fall, sakurai said summer

Does anyone find some of the new items, specifically the X bomb and Hocotate, look like they're going to being way overpowered? I suppose Hocotate Bomb is similar to taking the place of the Kirby-star item, but the X bomb looks really nuts.
X bomb looks easy to dodge, tbh. Unless it's really low to the ground and not sideways so you can't stay under it, but that's a pretty difficult set-up.

one stealth rock on charizard and he goes down like a babby though.
Mega Charizard (both x and y edition) are widely considered very high tier OU pokemon. If you care that much about stealth rock use X since he's only got a 2x weakness and not a 4x weakness.

We can all agree that regardless of where you place Charizard, Chikorita and all the Gen 4 starters are shit tier right
Gen 1 starters are mostly decent but blastoise is awesome.
Gen 2 starters are all at least pretty good, feraligatr is great, I'm biased towards typhlosion because my typhlosion was the first pokemon I ever trained to level 100
Gen 3 starters are all shit besides treecko (NOT his evolved, he gets shittier looking as he evolves) and Blaziken.
Gen 4 starters aren't shit. Piplup's entire tree is great and Infernape is basically Sun Wukong as a pokemon which automatically makes him great.
Gen 5 starters are all shit besides Snivy, Oshawott (not his evolutions) nominated for worst looking starter.
Gen 6 has all good starters. They just really should have had mega evolutions.
Note that I'm not counting a shitty middle evolution as a negative for any pokemon since it's actually kind of rare for the middle evolve to look adequate, let alone better than the first stage.

Besides, how would City Trial work in 2D?
Did you even watch the video? It's a dungeon crawl with a battle at the end.
Also holy fuck I want a kirby's air ride sequel now.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and guess SSB 3DS will be out in August/September
I would guess slightly earlier, like July/August, but it's not like we have any fucking idea. For all we know it could be coming out June 1st.
Although I suppose that it has to be in the later half of summer since if it's finished enough for a June/early July release they probably would have given a date.

I focused my hype on Twitter last night so I'll just express my opinions on Smash Direct here right now.

Release Window

I'm not too comfortable with this. The fact that Smash 3DS is releasing in the Summer makes me think this whole thing is being rushed out and worried about the roster. Also the fact that the 3DS version is being released first has me concerned that no one's going to buy the WiiU version when it comes out and that's going to deal another blow to the WiiU's sales.

Stages

- Reset Bomb Forest looks awesome
- About time we get a better look at the Find Mii stage. Pretty decent so far
- Balloon Fight stage!
- Glad Jungle Japes is back but I'm hoping it doesn't mean we aren't getting a new DK stage either
- Holy god! Palutena's Temple is huge! I wasn't expecting it to be the Temple stand-in!
- HALBERD'S BACK?! I hope this hints towards Meta Knight returning
- 3DS stages use the Melee system of two songs per stage while My Music is WiiU exclusive. That's a fair compromise
- Yeah I think that talk about Boss Characters pretty much deconfirms Ridley now (Never had high hopes for him anyway)

- So For Glory = Competitive Smash Mode. I hope you competitive types are happy now
- Moderation tools for punishing rage quitters, trolls, ect. I hope Nintendo is committed doing this kind of thing
- Why would a simple ranking system be too broad? I mean I don't care for leaderboards worth a damn but this line still confuses me....

Items

- He turned those SMB Fire Bars into a weapon. Sakurai, what were smoking when you came up with that and can I have some?
- Bombchus! Again, this is another thing I would've made into a special move for Toon Link but hey, I can dig this
- The Rocket Belt? Didn't see that coming

Assist Trophies

- Damnit Saki's an AT again. Granted I didn't want him as much as say Shulk or Little Mac but it would've been nice to see him playable
- Also Samurai Goroh was seen as an AT again earlier. I assume that pretty much confirms Captain Falcon
- Waluigi has the Wario icon now? Okay, Wario better be confirmed soon then
- ::laughs manically at the people who wanted Dark Samus and Midna playable::
- PONG IS AN ASSIST TROPHY! (Yes I know what it's really from. AVGN talked about it in his Pong Consoles episode)

Fighters

- Zero Suit Samus and Sheik are seperate characters? Sakurai's been taking "inspiration" from Project M again
- So the Phantom IS a new Special move after all
- They got rid of Sheik's Chain? :( Also Grenades?
- That flying heel smash move should've gone to ZSS instead. Couldn't Sheik just use her harp instead?
- About time Kirby's Hammer had that charge ability. Also Ultra Sword FS, not surprised
- Dedede now only throws Gordos? Then what are they going to do for FS I wonder. (I'm guessing Masked Dedede)
- MEGA LUCARIO! Please let this mean Mewtwo will come back. I want my Mega Mewtwo vs. Mega Lucario event match
- Winged Pikmin recovery. That's actually a pretty impressive buff
- Gliding is removed? There goes Metaknight's top tier status
- Again, not surprised. Three Sacred Treasures FS
- About time Yoshi showed up. That takes care of the 8 original starters of Smash 64
- Rosalina's FS is a giant star turret
- Wireframe Mac costume? LOL
- Villager's FS: WTF?
- Mega Man's FS: 0_______________0 That's the biggest middle finger to Capcom I've ever seen and it's from Nintendo of all people
- Wii Fit Trainer has a move that powers her up. Yeah he's been taking "inspiration" from Project M
- When I came up with the possibility of "customizable move sets" just changing how some attacks function wasn't what I had in mind. Oh well
- No Pokemon Trainer but Charizard's back at least!
- Greninja? That's an.....unorthodox Newcomer choice. Not complaining though but it makes me fear Mewtwo isn't coming back
- Chargeable Water Shuriken and Substitute that works like a replacement jutsu? He's gonna be fuuuuuuuuuun
- One of Charizard's new moves appears to be Flare Blitz. And WAS THAT MEGA CHARIZARD X I SAW?!
- That Elite 4 stage is one of the first stages I play on
- Greninja's FS: I used to joke about Greninja being a Strider Hiryu frog but damn, Sakurai must've been spying on me. He has Ragnarok!

Smash Run

- A mode that's basically Air Ride's City Trial meets Melee's Adventure Mode. I like it!
- DID I JUST SEE KREMLINGS?! Oh please let this be a hint at K. Rool!

I'm kinda frustrated that Sakurai decided to showcase this much during the Direct because now he's spoiled me. I'm starving for more!

Nintendo apparently counts August and September as Summer.

I don't think it's being rushed, the game's still had 2 years of development time, wasn't Melee made in about 1.5 years?
Plus, with 29 characters we're bound to have a few more.

Speaking of sheik's harp- her final smash should be the bolero of fire.
Teleport everyone in the stage to a volcano where they all slowly burn alive.

Reactions: TailsWorld1
Thats fall, sakurai said summer

Summer=June 21st-September 21st
Winter=December 21st-March 21st

Wii U version might not be out till 2015, especially considering Jan/Feb/March count for Fiscal Year 2014. That said I'm still expecting the Wii U version to release in December, since they have nothing else to carry them through the holiday so far.

Did you even watch the video? It's a dungeon crawl with a battle at the end.
Also holy fuck I want a kirby's air ride sequel now.

Since when is City Trial a dungeon crawl with a battle at the end?

heeeey does nintendo own Galaga, or is that Namco Bandai? becauuuuuse
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48280274@N02/13729380913/in/photostream/

That's Namco.

well we finally have the Namco representation we want

That worries me, though. If there's Namco-related assist trophies... There might be a Namco-related character.

IE one yellow orb man nobody's particularly interested in.

Since when is City Trial a dungeon crawl with a battle at the end?
What, did you think there was going to be a full racing minigame inside of smash bros just for this one game type?
It's city trial mashed with adventure mode. It looks cool, okay.

What, did you think there was going to be a full racing minigame inside of smash bros just for this one game type?
It's city trial mashed with adventure mode. It looks cool, okay.

I meant I don't see the comparisons to City Trial at all. City Trial a big open city with no real objective with a race at the end.
You could maybe compare the battle at the end to the race at the end, but how is a 2D dungeon crawl comparable to a 3D open world in ANY way? I was so confused even when Sakurai said it.

It's because you ride in the city collecting power-ups to prepare for the race. Similarly, you run around the stage collecting power-ups for one big fight.

(I haven't played Air Ride so this is going off of what I've heard. Might be inaccurate)

After that reveal that the 3DS version is coming in the summer while the Wii U is coming in the winter got me thinking.

Remember that Palutena "leak"? It seemed suspicious that the character would only be shown on the 3DS with no Wii U shown. But now it's pretty much guaranteed that the first priority is the 3DS version and how it works. Could only her 3DS model have been done at the time?

Might be somewhat cost-efficient too, design characters in a lower-polygon form before finalization to make it easier to transfer to the Wii U version.

Reactions: juju_for_president
but how is a 2D dungeon crawl comparable to a 3D open world in ANY way? I was so confused even when Sakurai said it.
You explore a big 2d dungeon to collect power ups to win a battle in smash run.
You explore a big 3d city to collect power ups to win a race in city trial.
Sounds pretty similar to me.

Might be somewhat cost-efficient too, design characters in a lower-polygon form before finalization to make it easier to transfer to the Wii U version.
Not at all.
Scaling down textures takes like 5 minutes.
Scaling up textures means you have to make a new texture from scratch if you don't want it to look like shit.

I'm just really curious what else the Wii U version will have.
It's got more music, at least.
No matter what we're getting a cool as Hell soundtrack again.
Someone on Smashboards thinks there may be a character you can only get by owning both games
Which I think is a goddamned awful idea.

It would have only worked if they released at the same time, so no to that.

...Speaking of which when was that suggested? The direct was only aired yesterday, after all.

Literally yesterday on Smash Boards.
The place fucking blew up last I checked.
The Ridley supporters are at an all time low for Morale, and the Bandanna Dee supporters basically just went super saiyan.
And meanwhile everyone's grasping at straws and reeling from the assist reveals.