• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Yea get outta here, you filthy casual Samus.

nah man
ness is out just like yoshi
he's gonna get replaced with ninten

that one sure hasn't been made before
I didn't make it, just posting it.

Pic of the Day April 10th.jpg

Pic of the day. Samus and Zero Suit Samus!! How will she match up with her new jet boots?

Hmmmm....looking at those jet boots again reminds me of someone...
Sa2_shadow.png

S̶h̶a̶d̶o̶w̶ ̶C̶o̶n̶f̶i̶r̶m̶e̶d̶

Reactions: juju_for_president
my first thought was jet grind radio, tbh
granted
might be because I'm listening to the ost

Ugh, come on guys. During page 170 you forget Diddy Kong was a flipping boss in the Subspace.

Because we want to forget him. You think we WANT to remember Giant Shadow Diddy was a thing, fucker was harder than Tabuu! Doesn't help that Fox, Falco and Diddy aren't that well equipped to fight Giant Shadow Diddy, by which I mean neither had a counter. :P

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Oh man he was. I forgot about him, and was about to get ready to smash that Puff ball with Wolf, but NO. I HAD TO FORGET THAT SIZE DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING.

So Nintendo apparently had a secret Direct for Tomodatchi Collection (Now called Tomodachi Life). There's a 3DS stage based off of that game.

Please, just watch. It is the greatest thing ever. What the hell, Bill.

Anyway, I'd just figure i'd recap what I thought Greninja's moveset looked like to me:

-Neutral Special: Water Shuriken
-Side Special: Smokescreen
-Up Special: Aqua Jet
-Down Special: We all know by now that it's Substitute.
-Final Smash: Acrobatics/Night Slash/Ragnafrog/Whatever.

Idk if i would like ZSS, her whip was my favorite part of her move set, and no item pieces to extend combos, man those things were fun

Anyway, I'd just figure i'd recap what I thought Greninja's moveset looked like to me:

-Neutral Special: Water Shuriken
-Side Special: Smokescreen
-Up Special: Aqua Jet
-Down Special: We all know by now that it's Substitute.
-Final Smash: Acrobatics/Night Slash/Ragnafrog/Whatever.

I think the Side Special might be Shadow Sneak. I mean he does disappear and reappear somewhere else.

This pretty much confirms Ness

Plus, he's one of the original twelve. Ness, Captain Falcon, and possibly Jigglypuff will return.

Also there's this.

i just want more pictures of that absurdly well-rendered plushie
also i want that plushie

Reactions: TailsWorld1
WHY AREN'T YOU PLAYABLE?!

Granted there are characters I want more (ex: Shulk, Isaac, Dillon, K. Rool and Krystal) but still, Sin & Punishment gets no love man! No love at all!

i just want more pictures of that absurdly well-rendered plushie
also i want that plushie
I know right? I didn't even see that detail until that one close up pic.

And I've been reading around and looking at the evidence from Sakurai's interviews for Brawl and the inclusion of 5 Mario reps already and the lack of newcomers so far and my hope for Bowser Jr. is slightly rejuvenated. I personally would love to see him playable because there's quite a bit to work with (far more than Little Mac and ZSS really) and Brawl had 6 Pokemon reps (according to Sakurai himself). It doesn't feel as much of a stretch to ask for Bowser's kid to join in the battle. Sunshine obviously isn't irrelevant because we get Mario's FLUDD returning.

While it would hurt to see him as a stage hazard on a Bowser stage, I'll live with just having him in the game somehow (other than simply a trophy)

Last edited:
You never know, don't forget we still have 2-5 months and probably 10 secret characters to think about.
Exactly :D I'm getting my hopes up for Bowser Jr. My life is full of disappointment anyways, what's a video game character not getting in? #TeamJr

bowser jr more like loser jr
when's takamaru (never *weep*)

Bowser's just... misunderstood! You would never get it! *cries softly*

Are we even sure that some of the characters revealed thus far are secret characters?

Th fact that Ness and Falcon haven't been revealed yet makes me think that there'll still be a large cluster of characters that won't be revealed until the game launches, maybe not at all.

Maybe...

Maybe secret characters that stay secret like Sentinel and Hsien-Ko were supposed to be?

Lucas' chances aren't looking good.
I'm thinking that former clones are going to turn into costumes.

I know right? I didn't even see that detail until that one close up pic.

And I've been reading around and looking at the evidence from Sakurai's interviews for Brawl and the inclusion of 5 Mario reps already and the lack of newcomers so far and my hope for Bowser Jr. is slightly rejuvenated. I personally would love to see him playable because there's quite a bit to work with (far more than Little Mac and ZSS really) and Brawl had 6 Pokemon reps (according to Sakurai himself). It doesn't feel as much of a stretch to ask for Bowser's kid to join in the battle. Sunshine obviously isn't irrelevant because we get Mario's FLUDD returning.
The problem with looking at reps for the mario series is that there are so many reps from the series that many of them have got separate categories because of their spin-off games. So there's Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi. All of these characters are staples in the mario universe even if some of them appear under different series names. That's why a lot of people are kind of against new mario reps; when you count their extended universe they have the most reps by a wide margin.

I dunno, we're actually a bit hazy on unlockable characters this time around.
Especially since we're seeing a few shown early. Looking at you Luigi
Yeah, if Bowser Jr was playable he would 100% not be in the starting roster. Come to think of it, I can't imagine Rosalina being on the starting roster either.

Th fact that Ness and Falcon haven't been revealed yet makes me think that there'll still be a large cluster of characters that won't be revealed until the game launches, maybe not at all.
We've already got sufficient evidence to say Ness and Falcon are returning. Ness has the Franklin badge in there, Mr. Saturn and other such reps from his series and Falcon's rather obvious as a newcomer and Sakurai's already talked about Falcon Punches in interviews. It's safe to say they'll be unlockables but still present in-game.

The problem with looking at reps for the mario series is that there are so many reps from his series that many of them have got seperate categories because of their spin-off games. So there's Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi. All of these characters are staples in the mario universe even if some of them appear under different series names. That's why a lot of people are kind of against new mario reps; when you count their extended universe they have the most reps by a wide margin.

Well what can you honestly expect? Mario is Nintendo's biggest seller. Zelda has a ton of reps too, and Pokemon. Those three together make up at least a third of the roster. There's not much we can do about it other than buy games to show that a series deserves more representation. For example, Fire Emblem's becoming more popular and as a result, we're seeing more Fire Emblem stuff. Trophies, possibly characters, etc.

Last edited:
the fact that no one really cares about MOTHER anymore other than a bunch of whiny westerners means that we might see less of it than we did in brawl

Well what can you honestly expect? Mario is Nintendo's biggest seller. Zelda has a ton of reps too, and Pokemon. Those three together make up at least a third of the roster. There's not much we can do about it other than buy games to show that a series deserves more representation. For example, Fire Emblem's becoming more popular and as a result, we're seeing more Fire Emblem stuff. Trophies, possibly characters, etc.
Wasn't really a complaint, that was just the argument that there shouldn't be more mario reps (since your argument revolved around the mario series having 5 reps when pokemon had 6 in the past, when in reality they had more than 6 in brawl and they have more than 6 in ssb4.)
But, nevertheless, even when a series makes a ridiculous amount of money (a la mario and pokemon) there have to be some boundaries for the amount of reps they get. No matter how much mario sells, smash bros isn't a mario game, and we need that room for other characters, no matter how obscure they are. Now, with that said, I might be able to get behind a mario rep like bowser jr or fawful or dimentio, someone who would have a unique moveset and- in the case of fawful/dimentio- represent the mario RPG series. But Toad? Nah, he's not very unique and we've got so many mario reps already. And Daisy? Waluigi? Why would we have mario reps that barely matter or do anything within the mario canon?

the fact that no one really cares about MOTHER anymore other than a bunch of whiny westerners means that we might see less of it than we did in brawl
Yeah no.
Mother is one of the most beloved RPG series of all time in japan. They're 1000x more loved there than in the west, no matter how "whiny" we get about only receiving 1/3rd of the series.

You know, the whole comment about Lucas being an Alternate Costume just made me realize
With the whole Moveset Customization thing, you could totally make Ness play like Lucas.
RIP in Peace Lucas

Reactions: Smilax
that's a pretty bold number there
you got the receipts to back it up

Well Mother/Earthbound merchandise still gets released in Japan, so there has to be some market for it. That being said, I think we would be fine just having Ness as the only Earthboundy person. Personally I'm a huge fan of the series, I would love to see Kumatora or Pokey or someone (but mostly Kumatora), but there haven't been any new games since 2006 - it would be like adding Takamaru, Geno, or the Excitebike racer.

Er, Takamaru legitimately has a chance as the obligatory retro character a la Pit and Game & Watch, especially after the Nintendoland minigame. I figure Excitebike people will be Assist Trophies again anyway.

Well Mother/Earthbound merchandise still gets released in Japan, so there has to be some market for it. That being said, I think we would be fine just having Ness as the only Earthboundy person. Personally I'm a huge fan of the series, I would love to see Kumatora or Pokey or someone (but mostly Kumatora), but there haven't been any new games since 2006 - it would be like adding Takamaru, Geno, or the Excitebike racer.
I'm fine with just ness as well, especially if lucas is a costume.

As for Takamaru, Geno and Excitebike Racer:
In melee we got Ice Climbers and Mr.Game and Watch.
In brawl we got Pit and ROB.
It's safe to say there's a pattern developing here. Although the excitebike racer would be a shitty choice honestly.

Reactions: Jutsei
Yeah, we're bound to get at least one or two Retro characters.
Call me Nuts, but I'm guessing this time we'll get Takamaru and someone based on Hanafuda.
If not, Takamaru and uhhh...huh. Let's say Mech Rider

But yeah, fairly certain Lucas is either a trophy or an Alternate Costume now