• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

inb4ohdasbannedwhatwegonnaplayon

I like it. It looks awesome. I like how, unlike previous Smash games which felt more like representations of stages, a lot of the stages in Smash 4 feel ripped right from them.

Considering how they made Final Destination have cosmetic variants of other stages, I wouldn't be surprised if development was changed to be more modular for this Smash. So making stages might be a lot easier depending on how Nintendo has altered their workflow in the past; there's definitely a lot of custom scripting going on for each stage but I'm wondering if Nintendo has a system in place to make everything really easy to put together. It might explain why a lot of stages tend to look flatter and tiled.

I wonder if there will be a stage editor this time around? I kind of doubt it but if there was a more robust editor that could even use assets from stock stages I'd be all for it.

I can imagine the stage editor being back. If they simply added a way to like, paint blocks and stuff and possibly have less of the grid-based system so that we can overlap them, it'd be cool.

Plus I mean, with MiiVerse, it could be amazingly easy to share stages. Let's just hope the possible preset backgrounds aren't so boring.

With the advent of MKTV I'm wondering if there will be something similar to that for Smash 4 too. Hopefully with replays that have time limits longer than 5 minutes. With a replay service and stage editor Smash 4 would have the whole social and user content aspect covered.

I can imagine the stage editor being back. If they simply added a way to like, paint blocks and stuff and possibly have less of the grid-based system so that we can overlap them, it'd be cool.

Plus I mean, with MiiVerse, it could be amazingly easy to share stages. Let's just hope the possible preset backgrounds aren't so boring.
And it isn't flooded too much with boys pee pee part.

Apparently, the new update to Steel Diver: Sub Wars (the FTP 3DS game) added the Blue Marine to Star Fox today for all players.

BlueMarine3D.jpg

What a neat little touch. Makes Smash seem so much cooler now that we can bring EVERYTHING together.

Reactions: Lavama and Hemijack
Have you SEEN the level of censorship on Miiverse? And for once, it'll be a good thing. All hail our non-phallic-level-design overlords!
hey, after that swap-note debacle, I'm sure Nintendo is REALLY trying to push that family friendly seal of quality as much as they can.

inb4ohdasbannedwhatwegonnaplayon

I like it. It looks awesome. I like how, unlike previous Smash games which felt more like representations of stages, a lot of the stages in Smash 4 feel ripped right from them.

I'm no competitive expert, but I see no reason for that stage to be banned, unless if the photo borders are the stage borders for some reason.

Kind of a good thing. Lord knows how bad things would get if they didn't... you'd be seeing so many immature pictures of the male reproductive organ.

I'm no competitive expert, but I see no reason for that stage to be banned, unless if the photo borders are the stage borders for some reason.

Pokemon Stadium is legal.
According to #BANNED Arena Ferox is fine as well.
It'll probably be fine.

I think some of us here could stand to be less critical of the competitive community.

The only thing that might make it counterpick would probably be the pufferfish thing on the side of the level. The hazard might be deemed too heavy. But I wouldn't say it'd be banned.

I wouldn't pass judgement on that stage's legality just yet. The way it's worded makes me think that there will be multiple transformations that Mushroom Kingdom U will go through.

People are saying that if there's a lava section based on Bowser's castle it'll be banned, as well as if it's too big or the blocks are too intrusive or the Urchin's are too random or Kamek is a boss or blah blah blah

It IS too early to pass judgement, but from what I've seen it's guessed to be #BANNED

Pic of the day.

Some stages have been shrunk down and made into trophies, like this one of Tortimer Island for the 3DS version.

I wish I could have a figurine like this in real life.

zlCfzSATF2MR5bm1ID

Reactions: Hemijack
Well then Sakrai get on it, seriously I'll buy a snowglobe of that shit.

Reactions: musica
There was also a trophy for Peach's Castle too. So yeah, stage trophies aren't anything new although he looks to be portraying the same way Retro portrayed the stage dioramas in their Donkey Kong games.

Some people are saying this is him making hints at the NFC

Which honestly, people are a little too worried about. It hasn't been confirmed yet as Nintendo of France has redacted their statements. And if it is, I'm sure Nintendo won't lock characters for figures. If anything, the additional content might be colors, costumes, attacks, etc etc

While not on the same level as Super Valve Bros, this is really awesome too
Was expecting an oculus rift mod, am very disappointed.
I wish link's shield was that useful.
edit: WOAH NOW THAT KID AT THE END

If it's just Q&A, I can't see it being anything huge.

That means we'll be getting it in the digital event itself. That's sooner. That's better.

yeeeee

Wait, wasn't there supposed to be a Direct that was also an hour and a half? Maybe that's what they're talking about.

EDIT: Wait.
No.
Yeah it probably is, same day same time.
Fuck.

Maybe.
Probably not.
I don't want to go back 200 something pages to check the specific wording.

Also, it's been confirmed that the Best Buy build will be the Tourney build.

That means Tourney has Mushroom Kingdom U, and we have the same character choices as them.
I'm happy cause all my newcomers are in.

Reactions: Hemijack
I'm just worried how the professional players will handle it.
It's supposedly a mix between Melee and Brawl, but I have this feeling they're gonna shit on it because it's not Melee.

Welcome to competitive Smash. Crapping on Brawl because it's not Melee is an everyday occurrence.

I have this feeling they're gonna shit on it because it's not Melee.

I think they choose people who they think wouldn't, hence why Mew2King or Mango aren't there.
And while the Melee comparisons will be there, hopefully with how much Nintendo is supporting the competitive community they'll be a little kinder.

Welcome to competitive Smash. Crapping on Brawl because it's not Melee is an everyday occurrence.
And this sucks cause I prefer Brawl myself. It's not fun getting laughed at at tournaments.

Reactions: Covenant
Hopefully there won't be too many Melee change requests because of the Demo either.
If Nintendo makes the game even more Melee-ish I'm gonna be displeased.
Should be a sequel, not ANOTHER melee.
People need to stop living in the past and ask for a New Smash Bros, not a retread of the old one.

Hopefully there won't be too many Melee change requests because of the Demo either.
If Nintendo makes the game even more Melee-ish I'm gonna be displeased.
Should be a sequel, not ANOTHER melee.
People need to stop living in the past and ask for a New Smash Bros, not a retread of the old one.
They do want a sequel. To Melee. When Sakurai explicitly said he does installments, not sequels.

Might as well stick to Project M if they care so much about it being like Melee.

Which is exactly why I think the competitive Smash players are batshit insane.
Brawl wasn't Melee.
Solution?
HACK IT TO BE MELEE.

And I can practically assure you that when SSB 4 comes out they'll hack Super Smash Bros Kerfluffle to be more Melee.

I can see it now: Project MM, without any of the newcomers because they're too gimmicky for a Melee environment.

Huh, actually, now that you mention it. A lot of the characters are too gimmicky for Melee...
So pretty much they won't change SSB 4 to be more Melee because it won't ever be Melee enough for these people

Guys, let's not degenerate into a 2009 thread. And people have cooled off and grown off the hate. Granted, there are assholes out there, but at least there aren't as much as before.

As for Project M, it's intended to be a fan sequel to Melee. I like it, but that shouldn't mean I hate the other games.

Reactions: gold163
As for Project M, it's intended to be a fan sequel to Melee. I like it, but that shouldn't mean I hate the other games.

Every time I hear "I'm not buying Smash 4 because I have Project M" I want to break a GameCube.

Which is near impossible.

Reactions: musica