• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Every time I hear "I'm not buying Smash 4 because I have Project M" I want to break a GameCube.

Which is near impossible.
Pretty much this.
I'm just really anxious and worried fan input that SSB 4 isn't Melee enough (Both from the demo and the tournament) will cause them to make it more Melee, and as a result, less fun.
I'm pretty sure they won't though.
Hoping it'll remain the SSB Brawl/Melee bastard child it is right now

Woah woah woah.

More Melee is less fun? What kind of sick mindset is that?

Reactions: SpaceCadetKeon
It's a toss up, though. From what we already have, we have accusations of both the game being too competitively focused (stages with few hazards, For Glory) and the game still being not competitive enough (no wavedashes, advanced glitch techniques).

You can't please everyone, ESPECIALLY with Smash. I wouldn't worry, because Sakurai likes to do stuff his own way (Wii Fit Trainer is the ultimate example).

And I don't think complaints to make it more like Melee would affect it, as Sakurai has gone on record saying that it was a mistake in the first place.

More Melee is less fun? What kind of sick mindset is that?

Some people, such as me and Jutsei, don't care for Melee. I know, crazy. For me, the problems are:
  • Clone characters that are legit clones
  • Forgettable stages with the exception of the ones that are played A LOT
  • Too high reliance on glitch techniques
The gameplay itself is fine, and if Smash 4 comes close to it I'll be fine.
And that's not to say Brawl doesn't have it's problems, but I think (aside from tripping) they aren't as glaring as Melee's.

But let's not get into this debate.

Last edited:
"I'm not buying Smash 4 because I have Project M"
Now that's just stupid. But use something other than a GameCube, please.

It's a toss up, though. From what we already have, we have accusations of both the game being too competitively focused (stages with few hazards, For Glory) and the game still being not competitive enough (no wavedashes, advanced glitch techniques).

You can't please everyone, ESPECIALLY with Smash. I wouldn't worry, because Sakurai likes to do stuff his own way (Wii Fit Trainer is the ultimate example).

And I don't think complaints to make it more like Melee would affect it, as Sakurai has gone on record saying that it was a mistake in the first place.

How can Smash be TOO COMPETITIVE considering we have Sakurai as director?

As for Wavedashes, the game can do fine without them, and thankfully, I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

Some people, such as me and Jutsei, don't care for Melee. I know, crazy. For me, the problems are:
  • Clone characters that are legit clones
  • Forgettable stages with the exception of the ones that are played A LOT
  • Too high reliance on glitch techniques
The gameplay itself is fine, and if Smash 4 comes close to it I'll be fine.
And that's not to say Brawl doesn't have it's problems, but I think (aside from tripping) they aren't as glaring as Melee's.

But let's not get into this debate.

Legit complaints, but the Wavedash is a physics exploit (not the same).

And I agree. Let's move on, people.

How can Smash be TOO COMPETITIVE considering we have Sakurai as director?

Too competitive from a casual's perspective. They are an unheard audience, and we do have to pay attention to them. I'm not saying to add Easy Combo mode, lord no, but making every stage barren and hazard free is boring for some people.

But yes, let's move on.

Reactions: Hemijack
Too competitive from a casual's perspective. They are an unheard audience, and we do have to pay attention to them. I'm not saying to add Easy Combo mode, lord no, but making every stage barren and hazard free is boring for some people.

But yes, let's move on.
If only half the internet could explain their reasonings in civilized way like this...

part of me wants everyone to be good in smash 4
but another part of me wants the competitively popular characters to be shit bad out of spite
smash elicits a lot of conflict in me

I think, unless they do something drastic like remove any damage and knockback from Fox's shine or make Marth's aerials slower, the already top played characters will still be top played simply due to the familiarity with their moves, at least near launch. Later down the road hopefully it'll even off a bit, and if buffs for characters like Link and Bowser are enough, we may see a very wide selection for competitive play.

tumblr_n5inrpsyeP1tbgy7go1_500.png
it's fake

I'm just also kind of eager what kidn of trailer we'll get for Smash Bros.
Something like Brawl where we get a bunch of veterans and new characters, or something like the very first trailer?

I'm expecting an extended version of the one from last year.

Like, showing each franchise's title with more characters in each this time.
For instance, instead of Mario just hitting a block, have him hit a block, and then Luigi and Peach do as well, with Bowser laughing and Rosalina flying through.

Something like that.

Also I'm expecting another "embedded" character trailer, such as Villager's being a part of the larger one. Maybe for Palutena plz

Let me just say it's fucking stupid when people say that smash bros melee was too competitive. You can still play with all the items on and if you never look into and get interested in the melee community, you never have to learn what wavedashing or l-cancelling are. How did the existence of those mechanics ruin the entire game for you?
You know what I want out of smash bros 4 mechanics wise?
Automatic cancelling
A slide mechanic that has much of the same use as a wave dash without making me break my controller or flicker up and down like a moron.
The ability to set a button to short hop instead of full jump because why do we have two jump buttons that do the exact same thing
Simon Belmont

Again I really think I'm overreacting and it won't be more Melee.
Like I said it's more bound to be a Frankenstein fusion of Brawl & Melee.
Or you know
It could be like Smash bros 4
Because all of the past smash bros have had their own feel to them and not "we took the tripping out of brawl" so I don't know why it would stop now.

it's fake
Good. Super princess peach 1 ruined her enough, I don't think I need another one.
Unless they retcon the pms mechanic all together, because shit that was so awkwardly sexist.
Like talking to your grandma that you thought was okay only to have her tell you about how she's scared those damn negroes across the street are going to mug her one day.

Or you know
It could be like Smash bros 4
Because all of the past smash bros have had their own feel to them and not "we took the tripping out of brawl" so I don't know why it would stop now.

This is all I really want. A game that stands on it's own, with it's own metagame and stuff.

Good. Super princess peach 1 ruined her enough, I don't think I need another one. Unless they retcon the pms mechanic all together, because shit that was so awkwardly sexist.
Nice to see someone else didn't understand the game
(also bonus sexism points to you for calling it the "pms mechanic")

Good. Super princess peach 1 ruined her enough, I don't think I need another one.
Unless they retcon the pms mechanic all together, because shit that was so awkwardly sexist.
Like talking to your grandma that you thought was okay only to have her tell you about how she's scared those damn negroes across the street are going to mug her one day.
You had me until this part. Granted, while I liked Super Princess Peach, I'd prefer her to use normal power-ups instead of emotion-based ones. The thing was that almost every enemy in the game (including Bowser) used those same emotion-based abilities. The difference was that she was in control of hers, while the enemies weren't (except Bowser, but he still needed the scepter for that). It only seems sexist on the surface because "lol she's a woman, PMS parallels."

Come back to me when she starts taking orders from a man and calling every Goomba a baby.

I dunno, I really feel like a new Metroid game is coming out (Star Fox and F-Zero, while nice, I don't think are getting new ones) and having Ridley would be good advertising, especially if it's post-Fusion after

the Galactic Federation has stolen the frozen corpse of Ridley and have plans for both it and the Metroid DNA which we don't know yet

oh hey I'm actually using a spoiler for a spoiler

There is a hour and a half long conference for a new 3DS game.
What else could it be?

But yeah, I think we'll get Ridley.
THey'll make it seem like a stage hazard at first, then he does something and is like "RIDLEY Swoops in" or something

There is a hour and a half long conference for a new 3DS game.
What else could it be?

But yeah, I think we'll get Ridley.
THey'll make it seem like a stage hazard at first, then he does something and is like "RIDLEY Swoops in" or something

A new Metroid is the only game that I think could have the half hour conference. No other series needs it, aside from Zelda (already getting two games) or Fire Emblem (SMT X FE in production).

I seriously think he could be a great character. Imagine a heavy Jigglypuff, in the way that he would spend a lot more time in the air than on the ground. Give him a special jump like Peach where he can hover for a long time, and make his moves involve air movement as well as attack.

Finish it off with an Omega Ridley transformation for a final smash covering the field in Phazon and you got an amazing newcomer.
And again, he's not too big
Ridley-size-600x270.png

Reactions: Hemijack
And even if he was ALSO a boss, there are technically four Ridley's:

Regular, Cloned, Mecha and X-Parasite.

If Stage Hazard is one of those, I'll gladly take another as a playable one (except maybe Mecha, cause... well)
lnd_mecharidley_zm.png

Plus, the way his shadow was moving in that video seemed too good for a mere boss.

Also, while we're on things I want at E3.
Maybe Meta Knight with Bandanna Dee also showing up.

But then again, Bandanna Dee serves King DDD, The Sailor Dee serves Meta Knight...

There's a lot of discussion on NeoGaf for five characters in particular:
  • Ridley
  • Palutena
  • Chrom
  • Mii
  • Pac Man
Simply going off of leaks and wishlists.

Who knows? We might get a couple of really crazy additions that no one has even thought of again. We'll have to see.

Don't forget about the Trophies that were seemingly random in the Smash Direct.
REmember?
Psuedo-Palutena (Palutena), FE:A character (Chrom?) King Kihunter (Ridley), Fi (Tingle? Ghirahim? Groose? Vaati?)

Don't forget about the Trophies that were seemingly random in the Smash Direct.
REmember?
Psuedo-Palutena (Palutena), FE:A character (Chrom?) King Kihunter (Ridley), Fi (Tingle? Ghirahim? Groose? Vaati?)
Well all but one of those franchises was represented to date since the direct in the form of a character.
Kid Icarus: ?
FE: Ike
Metroid: ZSS
Zelda: Shiek

ZSS and Shiek might be correct, as they are technically "new", with the Divergent Character Evolution and all, but I don't think Ike would count for that. With Awakenings popularity in both Japan and North America, as well as the Arena Ferox stage, I'd be surprised if we didn't get a character from it.

ZSS and Shiek might be correct, as they are technically "new", with the Divergent Character Evolution and all, but I don't think Ike would count for that. With Awakenings popularity in both Japan and North America, as well as the Arena Ferox stage, I'd be surprised if we didn't get a character from it.

I
kind of have the opposite opinion.
I don't think that the trophies (if they're referring to anything, maybe we're all just crazy) would hint towards characters revealed in the direct,
in that case why would we not have a Pokemon or a Yoshi trophy.
And it especially doesn't make sense for them to hint at a Metroid newcomer AFTER she's revealed.

But Tiki hinting at Ike kind of makes sense, at least to the guy who's only ever played half of Sacred Stones.

Or maybe there'll be four newcomer reveals.
I definitely think the Pseudo-Palutena one was a jab at Palutena at least.

Dammit, I had more to say about super princess peach but now it's a page back and I'll look like a dick if I bring it back.
This happens every time.

Fi (Tingle? Ghirahim? Groose? Vaati?)
While I don't think the trophies mean anything... Yuga is still the best possible zelda newcomer.
Them painting powers.
On the other hand I find Tetra to be the most likely.

I'm just throwing this out there but I would be 100% fine with Yuga as DLC or in SSB 5.
Paint powers are never not fucking cool.

I really think it's a toss-up for any new Zelda character.
Because so fucking many of them work, btu to me the most likely/possible are something like:
Tetra, Tingle, Ghirahim, Vaati.
With some unlikely stuff being like Wind Waker Ganondorf or Groose.