• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Is that a Balrog color I see or is that just wishful thinking.

Is that a Balrog color I see or is that just wishful thinking.

I think that's a skin based on his World Circuit outfit.

Ahh, welp, I know nothing about Punch Out. Maybe I should do my research.

Depending on if she doesn't get a Fire Flower color, I'll be playing Rosalina's Pink color to see if anyone mistakes her for Peach. They probably won't due to her floating everywhere.

Nice to see Mega Man gets a Metal Blade palette too.

I though Zelda's blue color was gonna be her Brawl one, shame it isn't.

The only alternate that I specifically want to use is Mega Man's Metal Blade, since the only Mega Man game I've played is 2,
and if you've played 2 you obviously know that you want to never not be using Metal Blade (unless an enemy is impervious to it or weak to something else).

And the fact that she's ENORMOUS.

Despite her celestial height being a dead give away, I'm still gonna rock the pink.

My colors are gonna be Title Defence Mac, Goggles Pikachu, Orange Luigi, hopefully the white/gold Bowser will come back from Brawl-IS THAT A PURPLE DK?!?

zlCfzSDcry8uufR3zA

"Pic of the day. Here are some weapons the Mii Swordfighter can use: Shurikens of Light, Chakrams, and Gale Strikes. You can control the direction the Chakram is thrown, or even make it stall in midair. The Chakram is also the only one of these tied to the side special move, so you can use one of the other items consecutively with this one."

Sounds like Sword Mii has a better keepaway game than anticipated, though probably not gonna out-zone Mega Man or Gunner Mii anytime soon.

Last edited:
The Chakram is also the only one of these tied to the side special move, so you can use one of the other items consecutively with this one.

Um, what? That's a pretty confusing way of putting it Sakurai. So are the Shuriken and the Tornado equippable to the other Special slots or something? I was under the impression that all of the projectile attacks could only be mapped to one input.

So we finally got some footage of Toon Link's FS.
And it's just Triforce Slash again.

Which means there remains only 7 characters whose FS's we don't definitively know.

Goddamnit. He can't even give Toon Link a giant cyclone to summon? I can officially say Toon Link's a waste of a slot now. If you're going to bring him back, actually change up his moveset. Otherwise, it's completely pointless.

Reactions: DDB
But really if someone besides Squirtle and Ivysaur is cut, I'd be gettin' mad at Toon Link. The cloniest clone this side of Clonifornia.

But really if someone besides Squirtle and Ivysaur is cut, I'd be gettin' mad at Toon Link. The cloniest clone this side of Clonifornia.
What about Luca- (Is shot)

Smash Boards has compiled everything they know about Smash.
I'll post just the vet changes for now

General character changes:
- Characters that had infinite jabs now have a finishing move.
- There's a customization feature that allows changing the characters' special moves. It can't be used online against strangers, being available on local multiplayer and online multiplayer with friends.

Mario:
- FLUDD has a seemingly longer range.
- Customization allows his Fireball move to have new variations: a big, but slow projectile or rapid fire projectiles with a straight line trajectory.
- His Super Jump Punch can be customized to feature fire.
- New moves via customization: Fast Fireball (Neutral Special), Fire Orb (Neutral Special), Gust Cape (Side Special), Shocking Cape (Side Special), Super Jump (Up Special), Explosive Punch (Up Special), High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D. (Down Special), Scalding F.L.U.D.D. (Down Special)

Luigi:
- New Final Smash: Poltergust 5000. It sucks other characters in the vacuum and launches them afterwards.
- Has a new paddling animation for his jumps taken from the Mario series. Seems to lower his falling speed.

Peach:
- Her Up Smash features a spiraling ribbon, seemingly giving the move a larger hitbox.

Bowser:
- Has a new, upright stance and new moves.
- Has a new running animation and is faster doing so.

Donkey Kong:
- Has a new dash attack in which he performs a rolling attack from the Donkey Kong Country series.
- Through customization, his Headbutt can be made to give him super armor, but the move's speed is decreased.
- New Special Moves via customization: Giant Blow (Up Special)
- He can now use his Hand Slap move on the air.

Diddy Kong:
- The Peanut Popgun's explosion due to excessive charge now causes damage.
- He possesses more flexibility, giving his moves bigger range.

Link:
- His down aerial attack is now a Meteor Smash, though it's subject to change during development.
- He now has the jump attack from the Zelda series. Seems to be his new dash attack.
- His tether recovery has a longer range.
- Through customization, he can use the normal Boomerang instead of Gale Boomerang like in the original Smash or in Melee.
- His Final Smash, Triforce Slash, is faster.

Zelda:
- New Down Special Move: Phantom Slash. Zelda summons a Phantom from The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks who charges forward and slashes with its sword. The move is chargeable, which determines how far the Phantom goes. The Phantom is also treated like a projectile, being able to be reflected or picked up by the Villager. It can also be used to block the foes' attacks.
- As a result of having the new move mentioned above, she can no longer transform into Sheik during battle.
- Her Final Smash, Light Arrow, is faster.

Sheik:
- New Side Special Move: Burst Grenade. Sheik throws an explosive projectile at the foes.
- New Down Special Move: Bouncing Fish. An acrobatic kicking move.
- Can no longer transform into Zelda during battle.
- Has a new tilt move.
- Up aerial now deals multiple hits.

Toon Link:
- The taunt where he looks around now features a fairy.

Samus:
- Has a new look based on Metroid: Other M.
- Her Forward Smash now produces an explosion, having a bigger hitbox.
- Her Final Smash, Zero Laser, no longer destroys her Power Suit, meaning she no longer switches to Zero Suit Samus during battle.
- Her tether recovery has a longer range.
- New Special Moves through customization: Melee Charge Shot (Up Special)

Zero Suit Samus:
- Can no longer switch to Samus during battle.
- Was given new jet boots that improve her kicking moves.
- She appears to have a new recovery move involving the jet boots.
- Has a new Final Smash. She boards her ship and fires lasers at the stage. Those can be aimed.
- Has a new entrance animation where she drops from her ship.

Yoshi:
- Has a new stance.
- His eggs' spots color matches Yoshi's selected color swap, as opposed to always being green.

Kirby:
- His Thwomp transformation done by the Stone special move was updated to look like how Thwomps look in the latest Mario games.
- New Final Smash: Ultra Sword.
- His Side Special Move was renamed to Hammer Flip and can now be charged.
- Via customization, his Inhale move can be switched to a ice breath move.
- New Special Moves via customization: Hammer Bash (Down Special)

King Dedede:
- His Waddle Dee Throw move was reworked so now he now only throws Gordos.

Fox:
- New Special Moves via customization: Charge Blaster (Up Special)
- Fox Illusion no longer renders him helpless.
- Slower recovery when landing from using the neutral Special Move.

Pikachu:
- His Thunder move is now a Meteor Smash when hitting with the thundercloud. The lightning bolt itself is also a Meteor Smash.

Charizard:
- Is now a standalone character.
- New Final Smash: Mega Charizard X.
- New Side Special Move: Flare Blitz. A charging attack that causes recoil damage to the use.
- Rock Smash is a Down Special Move.

Lucario:
- His aura mechanic is now stronger.
- Has access to his Mega Evolution, Mega Lucario, through unknown methods. In this form, his aura is maximized.

Marth:
- Has a new look based on Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~.
- His Shield Breaker is stronger.
- Through customization, his Shield Breaker can be altered so Marth dashes while he stabs.

Ike:
- Has a new design based on Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

Pit:
- New Side Special Move: Upperdash Arm. Pit attacks using the Upperdash Arm from Kid Icarus: Uprising with an upwards blow.
- New Down Special Move: Guardian Orbitars.
- New Up Special Move: Power of Flight. A new recovery move in which Pit flies towards a certain direction.
- New Final Smash: Three Sacred Treasures.
- His gliding ability is gone, though his attacks are stronger now as a compensation.
- Through customization, his arrows can be made slower but easier to control.
- New forward aerial attack. A spinning move using his bow.

Olimar:
- Can now only carry up to 3 Pikmin at once.
- He now plucks Pikmin on a fixed order: red, yellow, blue, white and purple before repeating.
- New Up Special Move: Winged Pikmin. Calls two Winged Pikmin that carry him and his Pikmin. The more Pikmin Olimar has, the heavier the weight and the less efficient the move is.
- The Pikmin can now carry items for Olimar.

Sonic:
- Sonic's down aerial attack has a Meteor Smash sweetspot.
- Has a new down Smash attack.

They also have all the Smash Run enemies. It's interesting that basically every playable series has some representation (along with Rhythm Heaven... hmmm...) with the exception of Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Mother, Star Fox and Wii Fit (obviously).

What sort of enemies would those series have though? I mean, I can see generic enemy soldiers or Laguz for Fire Emblem, F-Zero is kind of impossible cause cars, Mother has a whole lot of enemies but the only ones I want is the New Age Retro Hippie or Starman Jr, Star Fox could have Aparoids maybe?

Reactions: Hemijack
You mean you wouldn't want to fight a racing machine as an enemy? I'd kill for that.

You mean you wouldn't want to fight a racing machine as an enemy? I'd kill for that.

I mean, the only two characters you could put in are Mr. EAD or Blood Falcon, cause as a robot and clone respectively, there could be many of them

God
DAMN that is a lot of KI enemies.
There's more Smash Run characters from Kid Icarus and its TWO games than the whole Mario series, even counting Yoshi's Island.

There's more Smash Run characters from Kid Icarus and its TWO games than the whole Mario series, even counting Yoshi's Island.

To be fair, there's two reasons for this:
  1. Sakurai loves his babies
  2. It would be really easy to just straight up transfer them from KI:U to Smash. They already look correct for the art style and have moves that worked well in 2D. Compared to say, Yoshi's Island enemies, you'd have to make a new model for them and program them from scratch.

Slightly disappointed, but then again the only FS that Shiek could possibly do different is a carbon copy of Greninja's, and the Light Arrow fits Zelda really well.
Well, I'm a little disappionted that it's not actually every alt colour. I'm also glad it's not because only 4 colours for each would be pretty lame. Unless you're talking about smash flash in which case I dun really care. If it is about Sm4sh then where the heck is Bowser's blue? and Sonics red is ACTUALLY RED

Sm4sh
God fucking dammit why do people call it this?
It's already stupid when companies do this for actual titles like "F.3.A.R." but now we're just adding it to titles that never asked for it? Because it's too hard to type out "smash 4" so we have to type it as smufoursh?

arent there going to be more chars? Im still waiting for meta knight, ganondorf, captain falcon, and some newcommer

God fucking dammit why do people call it this?
It's already stupid when companies do this for actual titles like "F.3.A.R." but now we're just adding it to titles that never asked for it? Because it's too hard to type out "smash 4" so we have to type it as smufoursh?
Because it's a clever leetspeak pun. 4's are use as "S"s sooooo

Sm4sh.

arent there going to be more chars? Im still waiting for meta knight, ganondorf, captain falcon, and some newcommer

I imagine that there'll be a few reveals before the game drops,
and half the roster most likely won't be revealed until after, since so many characters are secret and unlockable and such.

I imagine that there'll be a few reveals before the game drops,
and half the roster most likely won't be revealed until after, since so many characters are secret and unlockable and such.
ooooh thats right, but htere are already 33 characters, counting the mii fighters as 1, and in ssbb, there were like... 45? so maybe they'll show us 4 more chars and the rest will be secret

Because it's a clever leetspeak pun. 4's are use as "S"s sooooo
It's not clever, leet is just a really crappy cipher made even worse by randomly being used on one letter. It's also not a pun, and it's definitely not funny (I have serious doubts that it's meant to be unless you're specifically using it to sound stupid.)
At that point, why don't we just translate titles into pig latin? I'm really excited for Mashsay Ourfay!

ooooh thats right, but htere are already 33 characters, counting the mii fighters as 1, and in ssbb, there were like... 45? so maybe they'll show us 4 more chars and the rest will be secret
39 if you count shiek, zero suit samus, and all the pokemon trainer's pokemon independently.
(which would mean mii counts as 3.)

So, if the Gemastsu leak is real (the one that hasn't been wrong yet, revealed two days before the original presentation last year), then this is what the roster would look like

tumblr_n79o8ut7Ia1qac026o1_1280.jpg

I'd be happy with it. The only thing is that the leak didn't say Lucas wouldn't be back and yet everyone's cutting him.

So, if the Gemastsu leak is real (the one that hasn't been wrong yet, revealed two days before the original presentation last year), then this is what the roster would look like

I'd be happy with it. The only thing is that the leak didn't say Lucas wouldn't be back and yet everyone's cutting him.
...assuming that the gematsu leak didn't leave anything out, of course. Considering the fact that they didn't leak all the characters during the first leak, I wouldn't be surprised if they left out a newcomer or two from the second leak.
Wondering why that prediction cut lucas though. Weird.

Is there an official word on Snake? I liked him in Brawl and it would be sad to see my minefield disappear and Shadow Moses disappear.