• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Note that we didn't get any veterans whatsoever this month, aside from MAYBE Mr. Game & Watch, technically.

Yeah, but we got like 3 newcomers.
Those are worth like 2 or 3 vets a piece.

He still needs to reveal Mr. Game & Watch officially. As well as Ness, Metaknight and Wario. Why do I mention those four specifically? Well remember this image:

SSB4_whiteboard.jpg

Yeah notice how everyone in that image has been more or less confirmed other than Wario, Mr. G&W and Metaknight? (And Ness if the Mr. Saturn is anything to go by. Yes Mr. Saturn's have been revealed to return as items but c'mon, it makes no sense to put them in w/o the mainstay character of the franchise they hail from)

I would say Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon and possibly Mewtwo, Wolf, Falco and Jigglypuff but something tells me they're all being relegated to unlockable status.

Reactions: Hemijack and Jutsei
I have a weird feeling that sometime this or next month it will go completely characterless, then all of a sudden-OH SHIT, they drop everyone left in the game on us.

Marth is so full of himself in that picture, thinks he's hot shit.

Oh wait he is.

I would say Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon and possibly Mewtwo, Wolf, Falco and Jigglypuff but something tells me they're all being relegated to unlockable status.
I imagine that if they pulled a bowser/yoshi on ganondorf he'll get revealed beforehand to show it off.

i've said it before and I'll say it again

give ganon a new moveset
and make Hades the falcon clone
I don't care if hades has the potential for an original moveset
I WANT HIM TO BE A FALCON CLONE

*facepalm*
That's exactly how airdodges worked in Brawl, lol. The only difference this time around is that there is more hitstun, allowing for potential comboing at low to mid percentages and mixups at higher percentages.

This vvv

The difference this time is that you can't air dodge your way out of hitstun like you could in Brawl. Brawl had hitstun, it's just that you could cancel it using an attack or an air dodge. You can't in this game.

Plus air dodges are much more punishable in this game, so now it's more of a risk/reward tool than a do-everything tool.

zlCfzSD6O_cPAtRis4

"Pic of the day. Here's a new mini-game that's quite a bit different from Coin Launcher in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It's called Trophy Rush! The details…will be kept secret for now."

Reactions: Hemijack
sakurai always favors his babies
always
Except for back when he didn't add any kirby characters to melee because he didn't want to toot his own horn. Oh how the times have changed.

zlCfzSD6O_cPAtRis4

"Pic of the day. Here's a new mini-game that's quite a bit different from Coin Launcher in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It's called Trophy Rush! The details…will be kept secret for now."

Super-Smash-Bros-Melee-small-30.jpg

2.0?

i've said it before and I'll say it again

give ganon a new moveset
Yeah, The only special move I want him to keep is his choke slam. Catching people in the air with that move is blissful.

Reactions: Lavama
Post 10,000 get

Ganon doesn't need a new moveset so long as he gets some neato cutsom moves, such as replacing the Warlock Punch with a projectile and his Side-B with a reflecting punch so Tennis Matches can become a thing

The custom moveset thing makes me hopeful for Toon Link. "Clones" will most likely be obsolete this time around, unless they actually decide to give them the same customizations.

Nope, everyone except Mii Fighters and Palutena just have variations of their regular moves

Well, I saw someone say that they found a Magic Boomerang custom thing for Link, which sounds like it would give him a normal boomerang like TL.

Also, we may see Fire Arrows return for TL, making him like the Young Link that everyone likes for some reason.

Nope, everyone except Mii Fighters and Palutena just have variations of their regular moves

No, some characters have totally different ones as well, but still the same "idea", if you will.
Kirby gets Freeze Breath as opposed to Inhale, and something involving a hammer instead of his stone. These have been confirmed as in-game ones from the demo. DK's "Giant Blow" (teehee) Up Special as well sounds different.

Palutena and Mii's are totally different in function, and that's where the difference comes. One will be a projectile, one will be a melee, both for Side-B.

They still sort of have the same "function", but are more than just like Mario's variations.

Am I the only person who hopes that, for the sake of competitive play, everything and anything involving custom moves will be banned? I really, really doubt that the custom moves are truly balanced to the point where any and all combinations could be deemed fair use. Even if that were the case, it would take years and years of competitive gameplay before we could even really begin to determine whether or not custom moves are properly balanced, not only as individual moves, but also as sets of chosen moves. Having custom moves will be tons of fun when goofing off and just playing free-for-all matches with friends, but all it does for the competitive scene is over complicate things.

For this reason alone I also really hope that characters like Palutena and the Mii's have default move settings, of which would be considered the tourney legal versions of those characters.

I betcha that pretty much anything gameplay-wise that has a chance of customizability will be banned. That, or people won't even play Smash 4 because it isn't Melee.

Am I the only person who hopes that, for the sake of competitive play, everything and anything involving custom moves will be banned? I really, really doubt that the custom moves are truly balanced to the point where any and all combinations could be deemed fair use. Even if that were the case, it would take years and years of competitive gameplay before we could even really begin to determine whether or not custom moves are properly balanced, not only as individual moves, but also as sets of chosen moves. Having custom moves will be tons of fun when goofing off and just playing free-for-all matches with friends, but all it does for the competitive scene is over complicate things.

For this reason alone I also really hope that characters like Palutena and the Mii's have default move settings, of which would be considered the tourney legal versions of those characters.

Considering that Palutena is usable online, yeah, she has a "default" moveset.

That said, I want Custom Moves to be a thing for competitive play. I mean, it opens up mind games of "which moves does my opponent have?" similar to Pokemon and such. I think it can create whole new levels of play. Of course there are going to be some move combos that are better than others, but that's going to be in for every fighting game.

I think it's an awesome feature that should be expanded upon more in future instalments and enjoyed by both casual and competitve players.

I dunno, I think custom movesets and stuff will be fun to do online, for sure. But I'm glad they're friends only, otherwise online would be fucking case.
Same for Miis being in random online.
Speaking of...
So, anyone already planning out their Mii Fighters?

For me...
Brawler:
Hank Hill
Reggie Fils-A-Aime
Waluigi

Swordsman:
My Mii
Takamaru (if absolutely necessary)
Sayaka Miki

Gunner:
Gordon Freeman
Reggie Fils-A-Mech
Duke Nukem

I really doubt I'll be using Mii's that much, maybe just when I get them on random or for completionist purposes.

That said, I have an OC Mii perfect for the Brawler class.
And I can use a Resonance of Fate character for Gunner.
And, I dunno, Parasoul can be the Swordfighter I guess. It might be funnier to have Filia do that though, in lieu of her hairpin swords.

Well-balanced customization options add a whole new dimension to competitive play and overall make the game more enjoyable. If you don't believe me play a TCG because I guarantee you will understand afterwards.
Now, I wouldn't hold my breath on that "well-balanced" bit considering they seem to be making the game with a balanced default mode and an unbalanced but fun customizable mode, but I'm certainly open-minded to it and I hope the competitive community doesn't dismiss the idea out of hand (even though I'm about 99% sure they will.)
Also, to clarify on the "well balanced" bit, basically there might be a super pro optimal fox set-up that everyone who wants to be super pro has to use, but if you decide he fits your playstyle better with a couple of moves switched around you don't instantly lose because you aren't using the super pro optimal fox set-up for super pros. You have a decent chance- your fox set up might be a full tier or two lower than the super pro one but you still have a perfectly fair chance of winning if you're good at the game and you're good with your character. I'm not suggesting that there should be multiple perfectly balanced optimal combinations on each character because that's practically impossible.

I'm in the awkward spot where I want them to change Ganondorf, but as a Ganon-player I don't want them to change him too much. I love that big, slow, heavy, punchy style he has, and there aren't any other characters atm that fit that bill for me. I have other mains at least, and if they do change him, hopefully we'll get a newcomer with that kind of playstyle.

As a self-titled "Customization Whore", I can see myself literally spending a year just customizing everything for everyone. Mii's and their outfits especially.

entry2-4.jpg

Also, I don't know if you guys know, but there are equipable items to change each character's overall balance as well. Meaning we can have Bowser as fast as Sonic or a Sonic that's EVEN SOMEHOW FASTER
entry2-5.jpg

entry2-6.jpg

Reactions: Hemijack
I haven't yet seen the extent of the customization in the Mii Maker, so I don't know if some of these will be possible. That being said, if I can make them:

Brawler: My Mii, Ryu, Ken, Matt and Patt of the Super Best Friends

Swordsman: Waka, Kenpachi Ramasama aka Yu Narukami

Gunner: An intentionally awful looking Megaman Mii

@Skullmageddon I would be completely fine with custom movesets in competitive play if both players get to see each others' selected movesets before the match begins, the custom moves are all balanced to the point where not using any of them would still be a viable moveset (ala TF2), and... MAYBE ban equippable items.

Reactions: Hemijack and Jutsei
Fun fact, even if you gave Sonic maxed out speed items and made him have movement fast enough to travel across the Bridge of Eldin in under 1.5 seconds, Project M players would still complain the game is too slow.

I'll probably just borrow the Persona 3 and 4 Miis everyone created for Tomodachi Life.

Now the question is who gets what moveset...

Brawler:
Ippo, Zack (KR Knuckle), Jam Kuradoberi, Kenshiro, Mr. Worf, My Mii.

Swordsmen:
Lynn (FE), Roranicus Pondicus, Yu Narukami, Olivier Mira Armstrong.

Gunner:
Daichi (Captain Earth), Yusuke Urameshi, Booster Gold.

Fun fact, even if you gave Sonic maxed out speed items and made him have movement fast enough to travel across the Bridge of Eldin in under 1.5 seconds, Project M players would still complain the game is too slow.
Can we stop with the whole shitting on competitive players thing? It's getting really, really old. I think you know what they mean when they say it's too slow because it's not fucking dash speeds it's how long it takes to lose stock. They're complaining that the metagame in brawl was too defensive.