• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

You can literally never tell with Sakurai.
Again, the biggest point of contention is the Phantom.
There hasn't been a single game where the Phantom has been non-super deformed.
They've always been in Wind Waker games and as such are in the cutesy art style.
If it WAS an Assist you'd think it'd be super deformed or in the Toon style, right?
But it's not.
It's Twilight Princess style.
Well that's true. But how do we know that it isn't a side smash? Look at the various pics we have. Zelda's got some new poses. She's not so princessy anymore and looks like she's grown a little more badass this time around. I mean, the majority of those poses we've never seen before. New moveset?

It's also entirely possible.
We don't get full character updates anymore. We can infer.
Though, the Phantom references (if they ARE attached to Zelda) do probably sink any chance Toon Zelda had. Or at least the idea of Toon Zelda utilizing a Phantom like she did in Spirit Tracks.

Or maybe going for a similar relationship to what TL/Link have.

Altering Zelda's moveset slightly to account for an incoming Toon clone

That's also possible.
God damn that Sakurai.
Such an enigma.

Also, if the Down B is The Phantom, it's possible Sheik's Moveset got migrated to Impa.
Who WAS a prominent character in Skyward Sword.
I would be fine with that.
There's actually quite a bit of support for Impa on Smash Boards.

The only reason Impa was around was to protect Zelda in her helpless, useless state. A guardian of sorts. As we can see, Zelda can very easily hold her own in battle and it would just feel out of place to have Impa replace shiek.

Although, based on the few pics we have, Zelda might have a bit more badassery up her sleeve and might incorporate more melee attacks. Why else would you be posin like a ninja or some shit in a dress?

Part of me wants to see Shiek given the boot because I feel she's a little tiny bit outdated, but Impa just feels totally out of place on Zelda. Maybe make Zelda her own character, bring in Ganon, and reveal Impa/Ghirahim (whichever feels cooler)

Someone on Smash Boards pointed out that Sakurai seems to have more trouble throwing out movesets entirely than characters, but who knows?

Shiek technically has a chance due to Ocarina of Time 3DS.
There's a wide berth of Zelda releases in recent memory after Brawl, and there's already variety in the screen shots, so relevance is basically something we can't count on.
That's Skylift (Skyward Sword), two Twilight Princess designs, Spirit Tracks (3DS), Gerudo Valley (Ocarina of Time 3DS), and Wind Waker HD (Toon Link )

We still have a pic tomorrow that may or may not confirm some stuff for us.

I'm a little sad though because Rosalina could've used more spotlight time imo :P She's the coolest shit.

All in All I'd say December was a good month of reveals.
We still have two days left in the month next week at least.

We still have a pic tomorrow that may or may not confirm some stuff for us.

I'm a little sad though because Rosalina could've used more spotlight time imo :P She's the coolest shit.

How's this for a spotlight?

screen-6.jpg

Ol Rosy will destroy your home planet, then make a Luma that will become an exact copy of it, just to obliterate it again. And she will make you watch.

Over.

And over.

AND OVER!

Don't fuck with a galactic space princess.

I don't care what they do with Sheik's moveset, but if they were to remove the transformation and focus on making the Zelda half of the equation actually good, I'd be all for it.

Sakurai, just let me teleport around and huck fireballs without having to worry about accidentally hitting Down+B into a completely different character that hasn't been relevant in 15 years.

Super Smash Bros. Analysis: Rosalina & Luma Trailer (Secrets & Hidden Details - Wii U & 3DS)

I didn't notice before watching this, but she is literally smacking you with galaxies.

Asura's Wrath 2: Reign of Rosalina confirmed.

Straight from Stand characters to poses?

All we're missing is Luigi's ZA WARUDO to confirm that Sakurai's turning Smash into Jojo's.

I was about to be salty that it wasn't her Skyward Sword incarnation, but all these pictures of her are cracking me up. She looks downright vicious in some of these.

Ok, I HIGHLY DOUBT that the Phantom is an assist trophy. It's Waaaaaay to coincidental for it to be, and its a way for Sakurai to help: A) Replace the Down B, and B) Liken THIS Zelda to Toon Zelda to cater to the fans.

It sounds too business-like for me to accept as an assist trophy.

Ok, I HIGHLY DOUBT that the Phantom is an assist trophy. It's Waaaaaay to coincidental for it to be, and its a way for Sakurai to help: A) Replace the Down B, and B) Liken THIS Zelda to Toon Zelda to cater to the fans.

It sounds too business-like for me to accept as an assist trophy.

I really hope it's not. Sheik's the closest Smash has to a ninja. If you're not going to break Sheik back, at least put her moveset on a Newcomer or something similar.

I really hope it's not. Sheik's the closest Smash has to a ninja. If you're not going to break Sheik back, at least put her moveset on a Newcomer or something similar.
If Shiek's snipped, chances here moveset will go to Impa.

yeah Impa would be awesome

And then the SJW's on Tumblr will calm down cause you finally got a Woman of Color in the game

wait what am I saying next they'll be begging for someone disabled or *Trans or saying they should make Pikachu black or some shit

I almost completely forgot about the brighter color palettes for SSB 4, again, it works amazingly well for Zelda.
Bright and colorful opposed to the darks in Brawl is great

Yeah. Melee being a bit grittier worked in Nintendo's favor, but Brawl's always felt a little too edgy for me. I recently replayed Subspace Emissary (because I'm one in 12 people in the world who actually really enjoy it) and man, comparing the cutscenes to the ones in 4 is insane. They're so different, and I don't mean graphically but stylistically. 4 has a MUCH better color palette and style for sure.

Won't stop Kotaku commentors from saying how they're "ruining" Smash 4 by making it bright and colorful like a "childrens cartoon".

Not to mention how great Rosalina looks with it.

I can only wonder how good Ridley will look with this style.
playable or not

Back