• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

its mostly for me that we don't know what Phantom knight is doing

Luckily, only a very small, repressed part of my mind is still crazy with SSB4 speculation.

Rayman in SSB4! Rayman in SSB4! Rayman in SSB4! Clementine in SSB4!

1475787_395183943961217_683390734_n.jpg

wow
much leak
very pac
so real

Let's see how long it takes to dissect this one.
Let's see...
Shoddy camera angle? Check.
Blurry? Check.
Totally made of other pictures of the day? Check.
Using a character that has no chance of making it in and slim to no history with Nintendo? Checkerooni.

There's no character portraits or percentages at the bottom, when we've seen those already be implemented.

I think it's fake. Mega Man's shading is weird, and the nose thing has already been mentioned.

Honestly, most vets I'm not too worried about not making it. At this point, the ones that are iffy, on a scale of iffyness from least to most, are;

• Ice Climbers (Sakurai's comments about multiple characters, is Rosalina a replacement or proof they could still work?)
  • Jigglypuff (Jiggs is hardly relevant, though Fairy Typing could make her a bit more)
  • Wolf/Falco (decloning?)
  • ROB (Nooo my bby)
  • Pokemon Trainer (Again, multiple characters concept)
  • Lucas (With Mother 3 not relevant in the slightest, and no sign of US release, unless he's decloned I don't think he'll be back)
  • Snake (No word from Kojima at all, only in cause he was GOING to be in Melee but time constraints and the fact that Kojima's son/nephews simply liked Smash Bros)

Honestly, most vets I'm not too worried about not making it. At this point, the ones that are iffy, on a scale of iffyness from least to most, are;

• Ice Climbers (Sakurai's comments about multiple characters, is Rosalina a replacement or proof they could still work?)
  • Jigglypuff (Jiggs is hardly relevant, though Fairy Typing could make her a bit more)
  • ROB (Nooo my bby)
  • Lucas (With Mother 3 not relevant in the slightest, and no sign of US release, unless he's decloned I don't think he'll be back)
  • Snake (No word from Kojima at all, only in cause he was GOING to be in Melee but time constraints and the fact that Kojima's son/nephews simply liked Smash Bros)

Jigglypuff isn't going anywhere. He's part of the original 12, and more popular than you'd think (especially in Japan). Jigglypuff not returning would cause a much bigger uproar than any character listed there.

I'd say wolf isn't a clone more than falco, but yes, I do consider them clones. They are clones like Lucas and ness are clones. To be honest, I put the term clone on any two characters who have move sets inspired by another smasher. Even if they aren't completely the same.

• ROB (Nooo my bby)
Mother is always relevant you heathan, also Lucas is not a clone

Last edited:
I'd say wolf isn't a clone more than falco, but yes, I do consider them clones. They are clones like Lucas and ness are clones. To be honest, I put the term clone on any two characters who have move sets inspired by another smasher. Even if they aren't completely the same.
A clone is like Fox and falco in melee. Same exact animations, different properties. THAT is a clone.

But I see Goodbye's list being relatively accurate for characters being cut minus of course Jigglypuff who is 97.84% guaranteed for smash history's sake. The others I see a high chance of being axed. I'm hoping Snake, ICs and ROB get the axe more than anyone.

Reactions: Jutsei
I doubt any Mother characters will be cut, Mother is a very beloved heart wrenching franchise in Japan

Reactions: Smilax
Well they gotta keep Ness. It's just... You can't put in a franchise and then remove it... No. So Ness stays, Lucas is currently on the ropes and IC... fuck...

I'd be really upset if they cut Pokemon Trainer. I really liked playing as Ivysaur. ; ;
i also think it would be mega cool if jigglypuff got some new moves

I can't see Ice Climbers getting cut seeing as aside from them the NES doesn't have that much representation. I mean, now there's Mega Man.
Pit marginally less so after Uprising.
And yes, there are characters who were on the NES but they aren't really based at all on their appearances on the platform, moveset wise.
Unless the IC are replaced with a character from another NES exclusive, it kind of alienates one of the more important periods of Nintendo's history.

Also I really hope PT stays because he was one of the best representations of the pokemon franchise as a whole, much more than any of the other Pokemon characters.

I can't see Ice Climbers getting cut seeing as aside from them the NES doesn't have that much representation. I mean, now there's Mega Man.
Pit marginally less so after Uprising.
And yes, there are characters who were on the NES but they aren't really based at all on their appearances on the platform, moveset wise.
Unless the IC are replaced with a character from another NES exclusive, it kind of alienates one of the more important periods of Nintendo's history.

Also I really hope PT stays because he was one of the best representations of the pokemon franchise as a whole, much more than any of the other Pokemon characters.

As we can see from interviews and newcomers, Sakurai seems to be going for a balance between money and unique movesets rather than "how much a console gets representation". Along those lines, I don't think he'd be taking out the mechanic of Pokemon Trainer's switching pokemon. That'll definitely be seeing a return but whether it's Squirtle, Ivy and Charizard is up in the air since Pokemon's been a big thing lately.

As we can see from interviews and newcomers, Sakurai seems to be going for a balance between money and unique movesets rather than "how much a console gets representation". Along those lines, I don't think he'd be taking out the mechanic of Pokemon Trainer's switching pokemon. That'll definitely be seeing a return but whether it's Squirtle, Ivy and Charizard is up in the air since Pokemon's been a big thing lately.

I don't know if Sakurai has ever said during the production of any of the games that they'd be focussing heavily on console inclusion. But I know he originally included the Ice Climbers for the express purpose of representing the NES era with a character that could have an interesting moveset.
And it is worth pointing out that the Ice Climbers are a pretty unique character with a unique gimmick, they're certainly different enough to warrant the inclusion of both, Rosalina definitely seems to be some kind of combination of IC and Olimar, (and Olimar's still in) and not just a two-characters-at-once ripoff.

Yeah, I just want A pokemon trainer, with the stance changes and the stamina system, the pokemon that they use aren't all that important to me. I just don't want to see him get replaced with Mewtwo and have all of the pokemon characters be pokemon themselves.

Yeah, and all things considered, let's look at the Pokemon games that launched since Brawl, shall we? And what Pokemon a Trainer from that could use.

Pokemon Platinum - Dawn: Turtwig, Prinplup, Monferno
Pokemon Soul Silver & Heart Gold - Gold: Chikarita, Quilava, Feraligator
Pokemon Black & White - Black/Hilbert: Snivy, Dewott, Emboar
Pokemon X & Y - Serena: Chespin, Braixen, Greninja

Reactions: Rellek
I don't know if Sakurai has ever said during the production of any of the games that they'd be focussing heavily on console inclusion. But I know he originally included the Ice Climbers for the express purpose of representing the NES era with a character that could have an interesting moveset.
And it is worth pointing out that the Ice Climbers are a pretty unique character with a unique gimmick, they're certainly different enough to warrant the inclusion of both, Rosalina definitely seems to be some kind of combination of IC and Olimar, (and Olimar's still in) and not just a two-characters-at-once ripoff.

Yeah, I just want A pokemon trainer, with the stance changes and the stamina system, the pokemon that they use aren't all that important to me. I just don't want to see him get replaced with Mewtwo and have all of the pokemon characters be pokemon themselves.

This is true. Ice Climbers do have a mechanic that is unique in the grand scheme of Smash bros, so they'll likely come back. I hoped they wouldn't, but it makes more sense to leave them in :/ Just fix the chain grabbing and I'll be ok with it mostly.

And if they boot any pokemon rep to make room for Mewtwo, it's Lucario

Yeah, and all things considered, let's look at the Pokemon games that launched since Brawl, shall we? And what Pokemon a Trainer from that could use.

Pokemon Platinum - Dawn: Turtwig, Prinplup, Monferno
Pokemon Soul Silver & Heart Gold - Gold: Chikarita, Quilava, Feraligator
Pokemon Black & White - Black/Hilbert: Snivy, Dewott, Emboar
Pokemon X & Y - Serena: Chespin, Braixen, Greninja

Serena sounds soooo good. Those are my fav evos of each of those lines of pokemon so hell yeah do that one! (Still bummed that Chesnaught looks fugly)

Last edited:
i honestly just think there's no real point in speculating on which characters are or aren't returning. or who is and isn't becoming a newcomer
it just builds up expectations
expectations shouldn't be built up, even for a hyped game like this. It just warps your perception of the final product and causes you to judge it not by what the game is, but what you wanted it to be. And it'll never be exactly what you want it to be.
So just take the gains and losses as they come. stop with the "they're obviously confirmed" or the "they never have a chance"
i realize that this kind of spiel is more suited for some place like gamefaqs. but it really does salt my waffles when storms flare up over these kinds of things

if you people ever even think about the Ice Climbers being removed, I will go all Dream Team on you and enter your subconscious to break the nightmare chunks because you are obviously possessed by some ancient instrument of Ice Climber hating evil

Anyway, I'm also on board with The Pokemon Trainer changing Gens instead of just being removed, playing as three different size classes is really fun.

When's Wonder Red

Reactions: DDB
Joking aside, Ruin's right. We're just baselessly grasping things we know and trying to predict the future. Truth is, we really don't know because it hasn't happened yet. The only time we can really know is when it's sitting right in front of our faces when the info (or the game) is released.

God that applies to so many things for me right now lol.

i honestly just think there's no real point in speculating on which characters are or aren't returning. or who is and isn't becoming a newcomer
it just builds up expectations
expectations shouldn't be built up, even for a hyped game like this. It just warps your perception of the final product and causes you to judge it not by what the game is, but what you wanted it to be. And it'll never be exactly what you want it to be.
So just take the gains and losses as they come. stop with the "they're obviously confirmed" or the "they never have a chance"
i realize that this kind of spiel is more suited for some place like gamefaqs. but it really does salt my waffles when storms flare up over these kinds of things

What exactly do you think the point of this thread is?

Joking aside, Ruin's right. We're just baselessly grasping things we know and trying to predict the future. Truth is, we really don't know because it hasn't happened yet. The only time we can really know is when it's sitting right in front of our faces when the info (or the game) is released.

God that applies to so many things for me right now lol.
My main's already in the game.

Why would I want anyone besides Samus?

OH! Speaking of, I actually got a new Wii in! So, as soon as I unlock Wolf ( :( ) I'll post me friend code up so I can hit you guys with an arm cannon.