• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

It's the most widely used platform for reaching out for us, so yeah.

But most of the time now I tweet. Like how I get into Twitter arguments about how entitled Smash fans are mad that the WiiU GC Controller isn't going to be "wired" in the same way as the GameCube is.

These people have clearly never played the sovereign king of netcode that is,
Marvel 3.
Which was, despite all jokes, was miles ahead of Marvel's online despite how terrible that was.

It's the most widely used platform for reaching out for us, so yeah.

But most of the time now I tweet. Like how I get into Twitter arguments about how entitled Smash fans are mad that the WiiU GC Controller isn't going to be "wired" in the same way as the GameCube is.
Well being wireless DOES mean there will be input lag, unfortunately. It's 1f, which doesn't make much difference in a casual setting but makes a huge difference in a competitive setting, especially in games that have moves with 1f startup like Smash.

The WiiU won an award for having the least amount of wireless input lag of any system for both controllers and GamePad streaming (which was unheard of before)

And if Smash U does have Input Lag, wouldn't it be fair then if there isn't a way to not have it? Like, Brawl and Melee are affected by Wavebird/Wiimote vs GameCube, but wouldn't this field be even on WiiU?

Being the same across the board wouldn't make it any less annoying. Everyone has the same amount of chance to trip in Brawl, did that stop it from being hated?

And input lag isn't the only reason. Wireless controllers means potential interference when there's more than one Wii U, which is inevitable in a tournament setting. It's the reason wireless controllers are banned for Skullgirls tournaments.

Testing has been done. You'd need 160,000 controllers all going at once for any interference to happen.

PS3 controllers are hard to turn off in case of switching off. For that case, it makes sense why they are banned. With this controller, just unplug a battery and it's off and unsynced.

I dunno, it just feels like people are making all these terrible excuses while Nintendo is trying to help the competitive scene after this was something they begged for.

Brawl's online was terrible, but the netcode, while awful, didn't bother me as much as the groups of people who would always pick Hyrule Temple, proceed to just sit there and either do nothing or taunt the entire match, then gang up on you if you attack any of them.

Brawl's online was terrible, but the netcode, while awful, didn't bother me as much as the groups of people who would always pick Hyrule Temple, proceed to just sit there and either do nothing or taunt the entire match, then gang up on you if you attack any of them.
That pissed me off so much, I would get so bored just sitting there... hoping for something to start. And let's not forget team matches, you'd get stuck with someone who'd just sit there and they'd be an easy target while you, having to do double the work, would attack the other players while protecting your partner who's doing nothing.

I said the online play wasn't bad. I will not defend the community and the bullshit that went down back then.

Taunt Parties must be phased out in favor of the far superior Crouch Parties starring Ganondorf

Reactions: DDB
I don't know... Kid Icarus had terrible matchmaking. I don't think there was any kind of ranking, and I would be matched up with Japanese players like a third of time, which is horrible.

I get into Twitter arguments about how entitled Smash fans are mad that the WiiU GC Controller isn't going to be "wired" in the same way as the GameCube is.
you mean we're pretty much getting a new generation of wavebirds?
fuck yeah new wavebirds

Reactions: Hemijack
plus they got namco helping out
namco's got one of the better online stuff going on for them, so I imagine that they'll be helping as well in that regard

Well being wireless DOES mean there will be input lag, unfortunately. It's 1f, which doesn't make much difference in a casual setting but makes a huge difference in a competitive setting, especially in games that have moves with 1f startup like Smash.

Whether or not the lag matters depends on the input type of game: Per-frame vs instant. For per-frame games like fighters it really wont matter as long the delay is under a frame (16ms)....and I believe the wii's delay is somewhere 5ms and 7ms (6ms?).

zlCfzR9DAQki0zW6OL

"Pic of the day. In previous games in the series, if you chose the red team in a team battle, your Mario would have been red. But now you can choose any color you want! The color outlining the characters will show their team affiliation."

FUCK YEAH, YOU CAN CHOOSE YOUR COLORS FOR TEAMS REGARDLESS OF TEAM COLOR!!! (At least the 3DS version lets you, he didn't say about the Wii U version.)

Last edited:
So this means I can pick Blue Peach, Gold Pit and Black Zero Suit Samus all day, every day now? I like this change a lot.

Hmm I kind of wish they added the outline on-top of using the actual colors for the characters.

Hmm I kind of wish they added the outline on-top of using the actual colors for the characters.
Um...then you pick the red color yourself?

Reactions: Goodbye18000
Nintendo of France just let the Cat Mario out of the bag that Smash will get it's own line of NFC figures.

However, they suggested it's not to unlock content, but to transfer customized characters from one console to another, either from WiiU-3DS, WiiU to another WiiU or 3DS to 3DS, along with a Nintendo Network ID.

It may tie into the recent Nintendo figurine reference sheet leak.
lkkth8j.jpg

captain falcon and waluigi confirmed??????????????????????

Captain Falcon was an obvious one, but I think the Waluigi and Metriod (lol) ones mean we'll be getting not just playable characters, but assist trophies too as figures.

Gimme muh Dillon figure

If this is true, we can be sure to hear millions of wallets cry out in terror.

I'll totally buy every Earthbound and Pikmin figure though.

Hyrule Warriors Impa for Smash
inpa.jpg

Might be a little too late for her now. Besides, assuming that Ganondorf is coming back, we already 5 Zelda characters as it is. Maybe for Smash 5 she can replace Sheik.

I want Wonderful Figures

works as a reference too

Nintendo of France just let the Cat Mario out of the bag that Smash will get it's own line of NFC figures.

However, they suggested it's not to unlock content, but to transfer customized characters from one console to another, either from WiiU-3DS, WiiU to another WiiU or 3DS to 3DS, along with a Nintendo Network ID.

It may tie into the recent Nintendo figurine reference sheet leak.
lkkth8j.jpg
Kid Icarus confirmed for smash!?

Hyrule Warriors Impa for Smash

W-Where did you get that from?!?! D: She looks gorgeous! I've heard that Hyrule Warriors pics came out but I've seen only small ones ;3;

Sharing is Caring!

Now you guys just know the figures will be based on Smash trophies.

Now you can see your virtual collection and your real trophy collection simultaneously!

Canada's available. Just not Quebec for some arbitrary reason.

Oh wow, it is. On Twitter it said US citizens only.

And Quebec is never allowed for this stuff cause Quebec are the No Fun Allowed Guys of Canada.

edit: shit, I don't want to make an instragram