• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Ganon is pretty much guaranteed at this point
any more Zeldas seems a bit much, but I wouldn't necessarily be against some so long as they look cool to play as

The substitute in the screenshots looks ridiculously fluffy.
I want to hug it.
Also, is it just me, or did it look like mega lucario was a longer transformation? It seemed like it lasted for quite a while, maybe even until he died.
Another thing to note; a pokemon needs a trainer to mega evolve. Is it possible that we're actually getting a trainer with Lucario, Charizard and someone else that can mevo (Mewtwo?) on their team? Incredibly unlikely, but hey, it's worth mentioning.
Also, a grass starter being playable would be nice to even things out. I could see Snivy or Serperior being playable.

Ridley still has a chance, his shadow was small, and his movement wasn't even very boss-like.
His movement was so boss-like it's kind of damning and his shadow was pretty big (although due to the way light works the shadow doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his actual size; A small ridley can cast a big shadow.)
No playable character should be able to fly around in the air with the ability to attack for literally a full 10 seconds without any signs of stopping. 10 seconds is just way too long; if he's playable, they modified his moveset just to get that shot right.
Plus, like I said, it would make that clip VERY confusing and misleading to everyone but the most hardcore fan. As much as you all love to see him as the guy who will do anything for an elaborate practical joke, I doubt he would go that far.
Plus, he has literally all the powers of charizard and nothing else. They could make him a charizard costume and it would 100% accurate. After charizard he would make for a boring reveal for anyone who doesn't absolutely adore him.

Seriously, Sakurai's dragging this one out for as long as possible.

And plus, don't forget yeah, fake-outs.
And on top of that, can't help but feel the Trophy Quizs were hinting at something.
Again, Fire Emblem (Towi? Can't remember her name, Chrom?), Fi (Zelda, Ghirahim?), Hive (Ridley?), and Psuedo Palutena (duh)
You're reading way too far into it.
Also you appear to have fused both of awakening's first generation manakete characters into one name.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoggledGamer
I never even got to the point in Awakening with manaketes so.

I still think Ridley is likely, especially given the other trolling that happened.
Call me crazy but I won't give up hope until everything's all said and done and we see how Ridley works as a boss.

The substitute in the screenshots looks ridiculously fluffy.
I want to hug it.

Nintendo would make serious bank if they actually sold those. Seriously, I want one just like the one in the direct.

Jutsei i think you're going a little overboard here
yeah hawlucha wasn't explicitly unconfirmed by Greninja's presence, but it's not doing him any favors
that segment with ridley would be damning evidence for anyone else but here you are
I feel like you're setting yourself up for some pretty heavy disappointment if Ridley turns out to just be a boss

13729372823_9b959abc07_b.jpg

Fly my pretties, FLY!

Reactions: Lavama
In other news:
Of all the robot masters you could choose, why the fuck would you go for elecman?
Let's see, you could go for Cut man, Air man, Wood man, Top man, Snake man, Gemini man, Skull man, Gravity man, Charge man, Napalm man, Centaur man, Junk man, Cloud man, Turbo man, Galaxy man... nah let's ignore all the creative ones and just use one that shoots lightning! Clearly we do not have enough nintendo characters that shoot lightning already, we need to bring in some obscure 3rd party ones for our assist trophies!
I didn't even want to see galaxy man shoot black hole bombs in HD, I wanted to see more lightning!

In other news:
Of all the robot masters you could choose, why the fuck would you go for elecman?
Let's see, you could go for Cut man, Air man, Wood man, Top man, Snake man, Gemini man, Skull man, Gravity man, Charge man, Napalm man, Centaur man, Junk man, Cloud man, Turbo man, Galaxy man... nah let's ignore all the creative ones and just use one that shoots lightning! Clearly we do not have enough nintendo characters that shoot lightning already, we need to bring in some obscure 3rd party ones for our assist trophies!
I didn't even want to see galaxy man shoot black hole bombs in HD, I wanted to see more lightning!
*Pssst* easier to model off of Megaman's model...

*Pssst* easier to model off of Megaman's model...
Cut man is only slightly more difficult, and he's arguably the most popular robot master.

Plus, Elec Man's weapon was super effective against Megaman in MM1, right?
Bubbleman's weapon was the only thing that could kill the final boss in MM2, but I still wouldn't have put Bubbleman in.
Just sayin'.

"MY NAME IS BUBBLEMAN AND I GOT SOMETHIN' TO SAY-"

DEAD.

Reactions: RetroStation
In other news:
Dude ya dissin Inufune's favorite Robo Masta, cus he ain't have'n that shit
lol.jpg

(also elecman is the robot master to beat in MM as he can 2-3 shot you)

Wait, Elecman is Inafune's favorite Robot Master?
Well, there's your reason.
And like I said, fucker has YOUR weakness in Megaman.
I actually really thought that was clever, but after that, no other Robot Master was super effective against you.

Elec Man's power with the pause glitch owned Yellow Devil on the NES and those are the only two reps here in SSB4.

That's the only connection I can make for him making it in.

Goodbye, those images are being leaked everywhere, you don't need to worry about showing any.
Basically they just show off a metric fuckton of items. Smash 4's item count is already significantly higher than Brawl's.

Jutsei i think you're going a little overboard here
yeah hawlucha wasn't explicitly unconfirmed by Greninja's presence, but it's not doing him any favors
that segment with ridley would be damning evidence for anyone else but here you are
I feel like you're setting yourself up for some pretty heavy disappointment if Ridley turns out to just be a boss

Honestly I feel blatant trolling with Ridley doesn't deconfirm him. If he's a boss, why not just show him as a boss? No, instead Sakurai chooses to show his shadow to leave things up in the air. The entire direct was full of troll moves, so I really just don't know what to think anymore. I'm no Ridley fan, tbh I don't care if he's in or not, but I wouldn't factor him out of the possibilities yet. The only character that's looking to be definitely gone this time is Pokemon Trainer.

This Direct has convinced me that Palutena is definitely in though. The trollphy and the changing of Pit's final smash really sold it for me.

Reactions: SpaceCadetKeon
Pokemon Trainer's on the sidelines now.
An unfortunate sideeffect of no more transformation characters.

This also DEFINITELY rules out the "Chrom & Lucina" idea people had.

Honestly I feel blatant trolling with Ridley doesn't deconfirm him. If he's a boss, why not just show him as a boss? No, instead Sakurai chooses to show his shadow to leave things up in the air. The entire direct was full of troll moves, so I really just don't know what to think anymore. I'm no Ridley fan, tbh I don't care if he's in or not, but I wouldn't factor him out of the possibilities yet.
Agreed. Seeing Ridley's shadow in motion is pretty damning, but I remember back before Brawl when I thought R.O.B. was going to be nothing more than a common adventure-mode enemy. He might be a boss, or he might not be. Until I actually get to see him, nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned.

Crayolan said:
This Direct has convinced me that Palutena is definitely in though. The trollphy and the changing of Pit's final smash really sold it for me.
Not to mention that she was totally leaked. Yes, I think that it's real.

leave things up in the air.
Oh, you.
TBH, though, I'm with you guys. Seems impossible that he isn't trolling, even if Ridley turns out to be a boss. It'd be reverse-psychology trolling, but trolling all the same. Way I see it, Ridley's no more or less likely to be in the game now than he was before, but his importance has been acknowledged.

I will be happy if Charizard still has his pouting walk like he had in brawl.

Agreed. Seeing Ridley's shadow in motion is pretty damning, but I remember back before Brawl when I thought R.O.B. was going to be nothing more than a common adventure-mode enemy. He might be a boss, or he might not be. Until I actually get to see him, nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned.

Not to mention that she was totally leaked. Yes, I think that it's real.
The stuff we did see wasn't a full look at him, but that shadow was far too large to be a character. Doesn't seem like something we'd end up going with for a final version: 2 versions of Ridley, one playable, the other a boss. Really tacky (and that's considering there can be 4 Marios on screen simultaneously)

And Sakurai totally knew what he was doing with the Palutena thing. She's all but confirmed at this point.

yeah but when's fusion samus
i need happy samus not grumpy samus, goddammit

The stuff we did see wasn't a full look at him, but that shadow was far too large to be a character. Doesn't seem like something we'd end up going with for a final version: 2 versions of Ridley, one playable, the other a boss. Really tacky (and that's considering there can be 4 Marios on screen simultaneously)
I don't expect it, but personally, I wouldn't mind the idea of a playable Ridley and a boss Ridley. Then again, I find it no more tacky than Bowser fighting Giga Bowser in Melee.

And keep in mind, Sakurai himself said at the beginning that anything in the game footage we were about to see could change. So nothing's set in stone as of yet. Call me delusional, or a conspiracy theorist or what have you, but I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to manipulate what little we saw of Ridley and bring up bosses for other stages over the footage for the sake of misdirection. Because lord knows he loves misdirection.

I can't prove that that's actually the case; this is all just speculation on my part. In fact, in the end I may very well be 100% wrong. But with Sakurai's trolling streak, and all his beating around the bush when it comes to Ridley, that he's been doing for months when he could have just straight-up Waluigi'd his ass, I don't see any reason not to be skeptical. And I will remain that way until a pic of the week comes along showing off how big he is, and is officially stated that he is, in fact, a boss.

The major reason that I think ridley is certainly a boss is, yet again, Sakurai wouldn't pull a joke that leaves everyone who doesn't get it confused and misguided. That's just not professional. You might think it's a minor thing but you don't want to heavily imply to a bunch of people think that there's going to be a boss on the metroid level if there's not going to be a boss on the metroid level. I'm not going to say it's impossible because I'm still open to it, but the chances are incredibly slim at this point.

but that shadow was far too large to be a character
The size of the shadow means nothing, small objects can cast large shadows if they're close to the light source. It would be very easy to make a playable ridley have a big shadow in the sneak peak, and it would be a funny nod to the too big controversy.
I still don't think he's playable, I'm just saying that the size of the shadow means absolutely nothing. The fact that he's in mid-air flying for a full 10 seconds without looking close to stopping and is apparently able to attack out of it without interrupting flight is worth noting, though.

An unfortunate sideeffect of no more transformation characters.
Quick note: He actually said that all previous characters with stance changes no longer have them. Technically he wouldn't be a liar if a newcomer had a stance change. Of course the implication is no new stance changers either, but it's worth pointing out.
I really hope that pokemon trainer can return in some form however unlikely that it is. He was one of the more unique additions to the brawl roster, and by far the best pokemon character in terms of capturing (hehe) the spirit of the games. They just need to fix him, not drop him.
Another thing to note about that charizard/lucario trainer team theory from before, notice how lucario's mevo seem to be a long lasting, if not permanent or until death, transformation? Well, if they were all on a team, by in-game rules you can only mega evolve once per battle. So their mevo wouldn't be a final smash, it would be a transformation you can activate some other way, but you have to choose which of your pokemon you love the most to give the buff to. Again, ridiculously unlikely, not happening, but it would be fucking cool.

Anyone notice that there was a Mii in the cage at the Find Mii stage this time? Now, not that it can't be another legitimate Alfonso situation, this might be a knock against the idea of Miis as a character.

Also, bit of trivia: for people like me that counted PT as one character, Charizard and Greninja brings the number of Pokemon reps to 4, the same number as in Melee and Brawl. If we can still think of Jigglypuff as returning, that will give Pokemon the same number as Mario in Melee and 3DU, and be the most Pokemon has had in one game (unless you count PT as 3 characters.)

The major reason that I think ridley is certainly a boss is, yet again, Sakurai wouldn't pull a joke that leaves everyone who doesn't get it confused and misguided. That's just not professional.
Not professional? I wouldn't go that far. I just think he's having fun.

Not professional? I wouldn't go that far. I just think he's having fun.
I'm saying -if- there's no metroid stage boss. Preferably one that fits the shadow in the video. People often forget that he's trying to appeal to casual fans that have no idea what the debate surrounding ridley is AND hardcore fans. In fact, the former make up about 80% of their audience, at least. A lot of those people will watch the smash bros direct or learn about the information in it one way or another. Worse, most of them have less brand loyalty than we do, so risking upsetting some of them for a practical joke is a pretty bad idea. Now, if Ridley isn't playable, he played a little joke on us while all those lovely people who don't know about all this don't ever have to know.

The size of the shadow means nothing, small objects can cast large shadows if they're close to the light source. It would be very easy to make a playable ridley have a big shadow in the sneak peak, and it would be a funny nod to the too big controversy.
I still don't think he's playable, I'm just saying that the size of the shadow means absolutely nothing. The fact that he's in mid-air flying for a full 10 seconds without looking close to stopping and is apparently able to attack out of it without interrupting flight is worth noting, though.
I know there's SOMEONE out there that's analyzing the size of pikachu as he's traveling across the stage, taking note of the shadow Pikachu gives off then applying that knowledge to figure out the distance Ridley would have to be away from the ground in order to cast that size of a shadow (considering he's been scaled to a playable character level) and compare it to how close he actually is to the ground by use of the wing that comes onto the screen for a brief moment.

There will be people who will do that and use it as mathematical proof, now I just need to find these people so I can share with you divine knowledge of video games physics.

I'm saying -if- there's no metroid stage boss. Preferably one that fits the shadow in the video. People often forget that he's trying to appeal to casual fans that have no idea what the debate surrounding ridley is AND hardcore fans. In fact, the former make up about 80% of their audience, at least. A lot of those people will watch the smash bros direct or learn about the information in it one way or another. Worse, most of them have less brand loyalty than we do, so risking upsetting some of them for a practical joke is a pretty bad idea. Now, if Ridley isn't playable, he played a little joke on us while all those lovely people who don't know about all this don't ever have to know.
I seriously doubt anybody would be upset over getting a new playable character instead of a stage hazard. And again, Sakurai warns us at the beginning of the stream that the game is still in progress and not everything shown was final. At this point, he's only been alluded to being a boss, and we still haven't seen him in action yet.

Also, bit of trivia: for people like me that counted PT as one character, Charizard and Greninja brings the number of Pokemon reps to 4, the same number as in Melee and Brawl. If we can still think of Jigglypuff as returning, that will give Pokemon the same number as Mario in Melee and 3DU, and be the most Pokemon has had in one game (unless you count PT as 3 characters.)
If you count Project: M (totally understandable if you don't), the most is/will be seven, since P:M seperated the Pokemon Trainer's 'mon into three characters and Mewtwo was added ^_^

Does anyone find some of the new items, specifically the X bomb and Hocotate, look like they're going to being way overpowered? I suppose Hocotate Bomb is similar to taking the place of the Kirby-star item, but the X bomb looks really nuts.