• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Pretty sure Xenoblade is the only Operation Rainfall IP owned by Nintendo.

Nope all three are owned by nintendo. However, in NA Xenoblade was the only one published by nintendo iirc.

Except of the 3 Operation Rainfall games, Pandora's Tower is considered by most to be the black sheep of the three. (Personally I think that belongs to The Last Story....) It's really not that talked about much and I don't think it made any significant sales. Plus XSeed was the company that brought it stateside so that might be a problem. No of the Operation Rainfall trilogy, Shulk from Xenoblade is the most likely to get in.

I agree with that. I was simply arguing Simon vs Aeron. I think neither are likely to get in but I think Aeron has slightly better chances

So what you're basically saying is there's no way to gauge a character's chances for inclusion based on popularity (for the record I'm pretty sure Marth and Ness are popular in Japan) so at this point there's no use arguing which characters are likely cause it's really just a big toss up.
And saying there's a precedent for few 3rd party characters getting in is like saying there's a precedent for the second sword-using Fire Emblem lord to be swapped with a more recent one. It happened once and doesn't really identify any patterns.

Their main weapons are kinda sort similar. Okay. Kind of. One's a leather whip and the other's a mystical chain. But you kinda
do the same
stuff with 'em.
When you're hitting people.
It's also worth point out that the (S)NES Castlevanias, especially the one's starring Simon, didn't actually have any backtracking bar Simon's Quest. It was linear progression through a series of platforming and enemy-based challenges on a 2-dimensional plane.
And once again, based off of the gameplay trailer which most likely doesn't capture the full experience of the game I'm sure, the gameplay and combat looks more like something about of DMC or something, much more like a hack'n'slash then a platformer.
I said not recognizable to many. Different locales/cultures have different taste. And by precedent, I meant how Sakurai has gone on record and said that 3rd parties will be extremely limited so there really doesnt need to be a pattern, but yes there is a precedent: Smash64=0, Melee=0, Brawl=2, smash4=(2+x); in all the games the number of 3rd party reps are miniscule compared to Nintendo owned reps.

And to be honest, the most recent Castlevanias have gone the more hack and slash route so you can still compare the two.

And to be honest, the most recent Castlevanias have gone the more hack and slash route so you can still compare the two.

You can still compare the two but the ones that are associated with Nintendo and the (S)NES, the ones that Simon is in, are platformers and have a very distinct gameplay style not at all like Pandora's Tower.

Oh Simon is Simon Belmont. Which I see more as 1% or less for being an out-of-left-field crazy unexpected character tbh.
I can understand giving him a low chance (even I wouldn't put him very high, maybe 10% at the absolute max and even that's mostly my own bias talking) but how is he an "out of left field crazy character"?
But, for the facts:
>He's one of the poster childs of 90's gaming, and during the time period he was up there with icons like mario, link, megaman, samus, kirby, etc. He's easily the 3rd party character with the most significance in nintendo history. Barring bamco characters I 100% believe that he's the most likely 3rd party character.
>He's in basically the same predicament megaman is in (minus the whole "my game series has been dead for years" thing) being an iconic retro character owned by a 3rd party that's been requested (albeit less than megaman) for a long time.
>Of all the companies to get a 3rd party character from, konami is one of the few that they've already worked with to get snake in brawl, which makes a konami rep very possible.
>His abilities are so perfect for the smash system it's uncanny. Think of a moveset, if you've played early castlevania it should take you like 5 minutes to come up with a complete moveset. his abilities lend themselves to a zoning moveset stupidly well- his normals would have naturally good range, and a combination of throwing axes, holy water, and boomerang crucifixes would likely make him one of the best ranged characters in the game barring major oversights.
>Most importantly, if he's in we can give him, megaman and pit captain N alternate costumes.

I agree with that. I was simply arguing Simon vs Aeron. I think neither are likely to get in but I think Aeron has slightly better chances
Still wrapping my head around why you think this is an either/or thing. I watched like 3-4 gameplay videos of pandora's tower and looked at his wiki and the one shred of similarity I could find between their fighting styles is that they both involved chains. Not only does Aeron not use the chain as his primary weapon- he uses a sword- but they use them in fundamentally different ways- Aeron wraps the chain around enemies or otherwise uses it to immobilize or disarm them, and occasionally to rip out hearts and heal his girlfriend. Simon just whips people with it, using it as an ordinary mid-ranged weapon. Aeron seems to be very aggressive while Simon is more of a defensive, cautious zoner. Their fighting styles have as much in common with each other as they do with Alex from River City Ransom. You can compare settings and themes and all that, but in the context of becoming a smash bros character, they don't have any significant similarities.

You can still compare the two but the ones that are associated with Nintendo and the (S)NES, the ones that Simon is in, are platformers and have a very distinct gameplay style not at all like Pandora's Tower.
Fair enough. I'm simply saying that the two series have some things in common.

Still wrapping my head around why you think this is an either/or thing. I watched like 3-4 gameplay videos of pandora's tower and looked at his wiki and the one shred of similarity I could find between their fighting styles is that they both involved chains. Not only does Aeron not use the chain as his primary weapon- he uses a sword- but they use them in fundamentally different ways- Aeron wraps the chain around enemies or otherwise uses it to immobilize or disarm them, and occasionally to rip out hearts and heal his girlfriend. Simon just whips people with it, using it as an ordinary mid-ranged weapon. Aeron seems to be very aggressive while Simon is more of a defensive, cautious zoner. Their fighting styles have as much in common with each other as they do with Alex from River City Ransom. You can compare settings and themes and all that, but in the context of becoming a smash bros character, they don't have any significant similarities.
I'm probably misunderstanding you -it's been a long day for me- but I dont get why you're saying it's an either/or thing. I said they have some base elements in common, but execute them differently, which seems to also be what you're saying....so I'm confused about your confusion....

Oh, it's the stupid Pac-Man/Mii thing.

yawn

I imagine that the Mii would only work as a character if it had a bunch of gizmos from Pilotwings

But, ah...that new jetpack item kinda obliterates that idea.

I think I've noticed a thing that kinda goes against Mii. The Find Mii stage uses a silly little crown as a symbol. Wouldn't a Mii-based stage use a Mii symbol which is just the word Mii written out?

Not necessarily; All the stages have to have a symbol for the game, not the stage itself. Otherwise, it would've probably had the same generic DS logo they used for PictoChat's crest.

I'm probably misunderstanding you -it's been a long day for me- but I dont get why you're saying it's an either/or thing. I said they have some base elements in common, but execute them differently, which seems to also be what you're saying....so I'm confused about your confusion....
You've said several times that there's no reason to add Simon when they could add aeron. I'm trying to tell you that they're way too different for either of them to threaten the other's chances at being playable. They're fundamentally different in nearly every way- the only similarity is that they both use a chain. Not even in a similar way- they just both use chains.

video
How did he go this entire video without talking about how stupid weird the chorus men being playable would be?
How was that not his immediate reaction?

i'know, it'd BEAUTIFUL if Alex Kidd returned on this game

SEGA lost a lot of chances of reviving the character

This may come out of nowhere, but I've been thinking :
— Fire Emblem Awakening was a 3DS hit and is most likely getting a character.
— Chrome or Lucina would be the obvious picks, but he we already had three typical sword wielders from FE, and two of them with significantly distinct movesets. Robin/avatar would be next in line if they didn't have so many custom face/hair/voice variations.
— Greninja showed us that Sakurai is willing to single out a pokémon starter (the other two gen VI starters are confirmed as pokéballs), so singling out a FE supporting character wouldn't be out of the question.
— Wii fit trainer makes it clear that gender swaps as an alternate character are possible.
So maybe, JUST MAYBE…
Morgan_(FE13_Artwork).png

Please let me dream a little.

Reactions: josshu
How did he go this entire video without talking about how stupid weird the chorus men being playable would be?
How was that not his immediate reaction?

Not much stupider or weirder than Game and Watch. Or Ice Climbers. Or ROB.

i'know, it'd BEAUTIFUL if Alex Kidd returned on this game

SEGA lost a lot of chances of reviving the character
But he's playable in Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. Unless you mean in a Smash game, I dunno... I'm just talking out my ass.

it's not the same thing... he doesn't show all that cool references and movements that smash brings to the table...

pick mega man for example. in a new racing game he'd be cool, but in smash, the treatmente he received brought manly nostalgia tears to my eyes

I guess that makes sense... the only thing he got in SASRT were two giant fists coming out during his All Star.

If they don't include Mewtwo in the character list or give back tech, I'm not buying it.
It's not worth risking another Brawl to attempt to love again.

the problem is that who wants to play as Alex Kidd? nothing against him as a character but his design is.... kinda lame. IMO

Reactions: Smilax
zlCfzR0_bJc24ikRHM

"Pic of the day. For the first time in the Smash series, Beam Swords will feature graduated colors. The attack item on the left is the Fire Bar. This is a peculiar weapon that becomes shorter after each swing."

Last edited:
Reactions: ruins72
i like how the beam sword is just made out of all the colors it's been in the series

Let me be the first to say

13914183924_9d377d7521_o.jpg

HAIL HYDRA

:3

zlCfzR0_bJc24ikRHM

"Pic of the day. For the first time in the Smash series, Beam Swords will feature graduated colors. The attack item on the left is the Fire Bar. This is a peculiar weapon that becomes shorter after each swing."

Link dual wielding?

BRAVELY DEFAULT CONFIRMED
LINK IS A DUAL SWORD WIELDING MEMBER OF THE NINJA JOB

Silly man

I know BD wasn't the first to do so

Im just dreamin'

Silly man

I know BD wasn't the first to do so

Im just dreamin'
Knights of the old Republic was the first.

More seriously, the fire pillar looks nice!

Link dual wielding?

BRAVELY DEFAULT CONFIRMED
LINK IS A DUAL SWORD WIELDING MEMBER OF THE NINJA JOB

You know sword users have always duel wielded?

because bravely default invented dual wielding

Obviously SAO invented Duel Wielding.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Geez it's like

I can't even make claims without evidence

What is this Ace Attorney

Reactions: Lavama
Well, they have always dual-wielded... So that's several years too late. And yes, as long as I'm here, it will be Ace Attorney.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
i admit it
i invented dual wielding
i just get cranky that I never get royalties about it

i admit it
i invented dual wielding
i just get cranky that I never get royalties about it
Now that we have a confession on record, we can finally put you away for good. *tape recorder stops*

zlCfzR1WD6QguxHTtf

"Pic of the day. Here's a special stage exclusive to the 3DS version, Balloon Fight!! The stage loops on the left and right sides so you can walk off one side and appear on the other."

The fact that he only says you can walk off the side makes me wonder if you can still get KOd by passing through while getting hit.

Maybe it'll be like having a partner in the subspace emissary. They can go off screen (or in this case, loop around), but if they're flying away from being hit they're susceptible to being K.O.'d.

My thoughts exactly.

You are the one moving off screen, you'll switch sides, but if you get hit off screen, bye-bye.

Honestly, if the Mario Bros stage had that scrolling left to right thing in Brawl it might've actually been "okay".
God I hate that stage.

Also, could we maybe see this happen for a Pac-Man Maze stage, perhaps? With the one area that sends you to the other side of the maze being left-right walkable but everywhere else kills you? Would be neat.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure Pac is in and I've warmed up to him a bit. Just a bit.