• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

WHO YALL LIKE!? (THUR/10PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what did i miss

did peanuts actually get attacked by wasps

do wasps like peanutbutter?

How did something stupid not happen?
I figured it meant something stupid happened in a match, but I guess player tile kinda took care of that and I didn't think of it. Oh well, marked off now that stream is over lol

Seems like everybody else enjoys how stupid the chat gets during these but honestly I just find it annoying.

Seems like everybody else enjoys how stupid the chat gets during these but honestly I just find it annoying.
I think this is a valid complaint. We've always been very light on the moderation on this stream, but in practice anyone trying to say something insightful is drowned out by a million people typing RAISE YOUR WASPS or whatever. I'm not sure what the solution is to make everyone happy though. I'd like for people to be able to hold a conversation in the chat but I don't wanna put off the RAISE YOUR WASPS people either.

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud and ruin everybody's fun.

Chat spam is a hell of a lot of fun when the chat explodes when something hype or unexpected happens but all of this off-topic stuff just flooding the chat constantly just distracting from the matches.

Sg community never misses their chance to go full retard in a chat. You do have the option to make another chat and invite people you want if that helps

It seems really obvious to point out that where "the line" is varies from mod to mod and host to host, but I'll point it out anyway.

People are going to do their thing and the people in charge that week are either going to let it rock or do something to reign it in. I enjoyed the stupidity because it was a chance to just shut off my brain, not think about school or classes, and get lost in hype for a couple of hours. It usually doesn't get as bad as it did last night, but there was just something memetic about wasps (ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ) last night that made it catch fire in chat. I dunno, I thought it was fun but I can totally understand how it was annoying to people trying to use chat for its intended purpose of talking to other people.

Last edited:
The host greatly affects the behaviour of the chat, both directly and indirectly.

First thing would be to mod everyone who has the stream key

and blaise I guess

Reactions: Uzumakihero
Won't lie, mod duties would probably just make me worse. I'd just spam dick stick pics or something.

There's a balance that can be struck with people being goofy and posting JOKEZ in the chat and talking about the actual match going on. I honestly enjoy it because this community is hilarious, and YWL is lighthearted so stuff like this is expected and part of it charm. On the other hand it often times get too much and you can't even talk about the match. Seeing the same gif posted 80 times just gets tiresome. Nights like last night are the minority though and it doesn't happen that often though, its not like a Marvel stream where any sort of game related discussion simply does not happen.

I'm more curious as to why somebody linked a picture of somebody grabbing handful of wasps in the first place, honestly.

Can we make chat requirements of:
- Must know how to construct a proper sentence and be able to do it consistently
- Must know at least one correct usage of punctuation and do it occasionally
- Must know a meme because good lord when people don't go for easy laughs I just get ragecomics.jpg
- Must know your ABC's

If you want the chat to be clean you can always mod me
If you ban everyone in the chat then there is no longer a chat.

I think this is a valid complaint. We've always been very light on the moderation on this stream, but in practice anyone trying to say something insightful is drowned out by a million people typing RAISE YOUR WASPS or whatever. I'm not sure what the solution is to make everyone happy though. I'd like for people to be able to hold a conversation in the chat but I don't wanna put off the RAISE YOUR WASPS people either.
Have a different chat?

WYL for normal shit, and a WYL irc for niggas who want to go ham.

I don't think splitting the chat is a good idea. After all, we've only got a few hundred viewers at best.

I was trying to moderate for a bit but I just kinda gave up because I was the only one. It felt like I was just pissing into the wind.

I was trying to moderate for a bit but I just kinda gave up because I was the only one. It felt like I was just pissing into the wind.
Pretend you're Big Band and the ban button is Beat Extend

Reactions: Fosh and Guymelef
I love the chat.. I wish all the hosts would put the chat on screen so I can see it in the archives since I can't watch these live.

Something else I wanted to bring up, what do you all think of the vote match system? The whole strawpoll + select some matchups proposed by stream chat + run the match that gets the most votes deal. That's been the system we've used ever since Keninblack invented Who Yall Like back in 1921, but I feel like it could use some tweaks.

1. It feels like the vote match most weeks is some pairing of two out of the same handful of people. On the one hand you could say "well if that's what people want every week, it's what they want", but is it what most people want or what the largest minority wants? I'm not honestly sure so I'm asking. If it's the latter maybe we wanna try to investigate runoff voting, which I don't think strawpoll lets you do so we'd have to find some sort of other option. But that system of voting led to us getting Beowulf, who I'm pretty sure everyone thinks is great, so it may be the better system.

2. The other thing is sometimes the matches involve people who aren't online or are on alternate computers that don't have the game installed or something. This seems easier to resolve just like check if that person is on Steam before you put the vote on the poll.

3. Other problems?????? (Can't think of any but if you got anything post it in the thread)

Reactions: Hilary
Why don't you just have a pool/list of people who got voted in, scratch them off as they get voted in each week, and randomly select a few people out of that list each time you need to do a vote call? This way you can still have fresh contenders without having to be unfair.

Additionally, you can just enforce the fact people should be on around 7PM and can stay the duration, for people like me who always get called away or whatever when the time arises, you can just check the backup list you made earlier.

Also seriously, Skullgirls stream chats are the most unintelligent thing I've seen in a while, and I don't mean because people are dumb. People are smart but they copypasta shit all the time and drown out anything that pertains to the chat. Skullgirls hivemind is strong and unless you turn on slow mode or ban the people who keep copypasting it's just going to keep happening. I find it funny in short bursts but when I want to actually talk about a match and I see a flood of RAISE UR WAZPS im just gonna close the tab because (1.) you're going to be talking to chat and I don't care about chat (2.) if I have to divert my attention to anything other than the match im just gonna put it on mute or leave.

But yeah, make a google docs signup sheet or something, and pass it to all the people who want to run Who Y'all Like, make them put in their steam addresses, nicks, whatever, and then have a private, uneditable sheet for people who you want to queue up for WYL. Mad easy

runoff voting
As the guy who wrote the runoff voting program we used, runoff voting is HARD. I looked for anything that would do it for free and didn't find squat.
It gives you more accurate results but man, it's hard.

The WYL stream chat is pretty garbage though, I will say that. Which is sad because it shows the minimum number of people it takes to fully combust on twitch.
Perhaps just any obnoxious text or image copypasta = timeout, 2nd offense = ban? Be harsh and get results.

Reactions: gllt
Just hide the chat jesus christ.
This doesn't really solve the problem for people who want to talk and can't cause there's 8000 people posting that bee gif every second.
As the guy who wrote the runoff voting program we used, runoff voting is HARD. I looked for anything that would do it for free and didn't find squat.
It gives you more accurate results but man, it's hard.
Aw man. I was hoping there would just be a thing online that just does it for you.

The WYL stream chat is pretty garbage though, I will say that. Which is sad because it shows the minimum number of people it takes to fully combust on twitch.
Perhaps just any obnoxious text or image copypasta = timeout, 2nd offense = ban? Be harsh and get results.
I mean, if all I wanted to do was stop the spam that's easy. The harder thing is making the people who like to spam happy while also making the people who like to have actual conversations happy. Maybe that can't be done and we'll just have to start banning people like you say, but if there's some sort of compromise I'd like to find it.

Reactions: gllt
That's not really something I consider important. I guess that's why I find the solution so obvious. :^P
Spam's fun, dude. You should try it.

One of the best bits from last night was Duckator popping into stream chat between games to copypasta. I would hate to lose that sort of thing completely.

Reactions: gllt and Icky
Nobody thought about making a steam group meant to work as WYL srs bsns chat?
It wouldn't cut the fun of people that want to shit at the stream chat, and people would be able to take more serious looks into the match without being disturbed.

I mean, it's not that hard

Reactions: Icky
Nobody thought about making a steam group meant to work as WYL srs bsns chat?
It wouldn't cut the fun of people that want to shit at the stream chat, and people would be able to take more serious looks into the match without being disturbed.

I mean, it's not that hard

'Serious buisness' chat is not what I want though. I just want a chat that consists of things that look something like human thought rather than just copy-pasted messages that other people made.

Plus there's already like 100 SG steam groups and the IRC channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.