• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Realistically what do you think Skullgirls' life span is after the last DLC?

real talk, they're doing it to be a pest tbh
anywho,
i think skullgirls is losing players/earning them each day despite updates and such, and each loss/gain for different reasons. though many might one day grow tired of this game, i'm sure there will always be a select group of players that will uncover it, find themselves interested, and play it despite the fact it may not be populated in the far future.
i know one of my friends is absolutely impatient and he quit simply because he said the updates were taking too long (even though, you know, hand-animated, etc.)

Realistically,
I think Skullgirls will pick up and be a main evo game when the RPG is finished.
You can probably even check out the full RPG at twitch.tv/dapurplesharpie once it's done.

I'd rather wait and see how Skullgirls does at Evo 2015 before I throw any more numbers around (Even then...), the game isn't even finished it's still being worked on.
Also we have to play it after it's finished or else Mike wont have anyone to play with! ;__;

Icky drives a car full of people like.. 3-4 hours every week for the Boston Game Underground weeklies plus whatever monthlies they have. Deer and (fuck i can't remember their new Val's name) are the first two consistent new players they've had in a long time, but hey that's two more bodies because everyone kept doing what they're doing. McPeanuts himself said that for several months his GU weeklies were literally him and one other dude just fighting for hours because no one else was there.
Well, this is a little out of date. Icky hasn't been going anymore, which by extension means Zid/Natezer/Doctor can't go either since none of them own a car (Doc never went on Fridays anyways I guess but now he doesn't even have the option). Deer went back to school and DMags has had stuff going on IRL that's kept him from going. So actually for the past few weeks it's been just me and Ceno. We're back to square 1. Kinda discouraging!

Reactions: Hilary
Well, this is a little out of date. Icky hasn't been going anymore, which by extension means Zid/Natezer/Doctor can't go either since none of them own a car (Doc never went on Fridays anyways I guess but now he doesn't even have the option). Deer went back to school and DMags has had stuff going on IRL that's kept him from going. So actually for the past few weeks it's been just me and Ceno. We're back to square 1. Kinda discouraging!

mannnnnnnn RIP my best tryhard anecdote

Reactions: mcpeanuts
The day skullgirls dies is the day I drop gaming all together

Reactions: Kongk4
game is going to live forever. Skullgirls is immortal. Skullgirls players are more immortal. Lab Zero is the most immortal. Wrap it up, close thread.

Exactly, why sit here and mope when we could be having fun playing a game that I think we all enjoy.
Realistically the game will last as long as we "The Players" play the damn thing, which, if we actually like it will be a quite a long time.

Last edited:
Exactly, why sit here and mope when we could be having fun playing a game that I think we all enjoy.
Realistically the game will last as long as we "The Players" play the damn thing, which, if we actually like it will be a quite a long time.
Just look at Earthbound! That thing's still going strong, and it's an RPG that has an end, whereas Skullgirls can be enjoyed forever! It really is a cult classic fighter! We'll all enjoy it for the rest of our lives, wether L0 expands it, makes a sequel, or drops the game! It's brilliantly made, has a wonderful score, and has a tuba man. Truly perfect!

Just look at Earthbound! That thing's still going strong, and it's an RPG that has an end, whereas Skullgirls can be enjoyed forever! It really is a cult classic fighter! We'll all enjoy it for the rest of our lives, wether L0 expands it, makes a sequel, or drops the game! It's brilliantly made, has a wonderful score, and has a tuba man. Truly perfect!
Errr weren't you on about how the game is already dead earlier in this exact thread?

Anyway, I kind of hope there'll always be people to play against. I've been playing on and off practically since release (only off when it would take twenty minutes for a match ;p) and I can honestly see myself playing this game for atleast two and a half years online once Fortune is out, so long as I'm not playing solely vs an ai!

Skullgirls has a remarkable following and incredible success when u consider it is the first ever video game by a company. Guilty gear is considered a big name right? Well the first Guilty gear ever released didn't make close to the splash that Skullgirls has. It wasn't until Guilty Gear XX that it became really big.

Skullgirls has turned a lot of heads, pretty much everyone who knows about fighting games knows about SG, even if they don't play it. OT, fighting games rarely die, and one that is so unique will always have a following.

Yeah SF4 and Marvel are more popular.........they are also series that have been around for 20 years.

Skullgirls has a remarkable following and incredible success when u consider it is the first ever video game by a company. Guilty gear is considered a big name right? Well the first Guilty gear ever released didn't make close to the splash that Skullgirls has. It wasn't until Guilty Gear XX that it became really big.

Skullgirls has turned a lot of heads, pretty much everyone who knows about fighting games knows about SG, even if they don't play it. OT, fighting games rarely die, and one that is so unique will always have a following.

Yeah SF4 and Marvel are more popular.........they are also series that have been around for 20 years.
Guilty Gear 1 making no splash was entirely because it was a shitty game; same with Guilty Gear X. The reason why Guilty Gear XX was huge was because it was a fantastic game.

Skullgirls will be as big as ASW's modern games the instant it's as good as ASW's modern games -- that is to say, never. There's a reason why the only people who play it now are playing it on PC -- the only reason to play the game in the first place is because you don't have access to the most recent versions of BlazBlue or P4A.

Skullgirls will be as big as ASW's modern games the instant it's as good as ASW's modern games -- that is to say, never. There's a reason why the only people who play it now are playing it on PC -- the only reason to play the game in the first place is because you don't have access to the most recent versions of BlazBlue or P4A.

So you're saying... if we want people to play Skullgirls, we have to make the game worse? We already tried that with SDE and I don't think it worked!

All joking aside... I play both P4A for Xbox and Skullgirls for PC. And even though more people at my local meetup play P4A than Skullgirls (which... I'm still the only guy at my local meetup who plays Skullgirls regularly) I still prefer playing Skullgirls. P4A's playable no doubt, but there are a lot of things in that game that are janky and questionable enough that I will play Skullgirls if I had the choice. I was actually afraid that the releases of P4A and UNIEL were going to bury Skullgirls, but I can emphatically say that they didn't.

Now... we'll see if I'll still play Skullgirls once UNIEL launches in the states. And comes out on PC.

Last edited:
2-4 months tops

if its name isnt steet fighter or marvel thn it isnt going to last very long.

So you're saying... if we want people to play Skullgirls, we have to make the game worse? We already tried that with SDE and I don't think it worked!

All joking aside... I play both P4A for Xbox and Skullgirls for PC. And even though more people at my local meetup play P4A than Skullgirls (which... I'm still the only guy at my local meetup who plays Skullgirls regularly) I still prefer playing Skullgirls. P4A's playable no doubt, but there are a lot of things in that game that are janky and questionable enough that I will play Skullgirls if I had the choice. I was actually afraid that the releases of P4A and UNIEL were going to bury Skullgirls, but I can emphatically say that they didn't.

Now... we'll see if I'll still play Skullgirls once UNIEL launches in the states. And comes out on PC.
Agreed that P4A has loads of questionable design decisions, but it's still leagues better than Skullgirls. At least it has a mostly functional neutral game; SG really is basically like playing Virtua Fighter in a 2D engine. Nearly every game is decided either by dropped combos or guessing right in rock/paper/scissors reset situations.

Through lurking on various different forums/boards, I've found that people typically are not interested in this game because:

- They dislike the (mostly) female roster
- They dislike the game's overall aesthetic design (really love or really hate)
- They dislike the reset-oriented, heavy pressure, RPS nature of the game (My personal gripe, but that's the game)

All things that make this game exactly what it is. So I don't really see this game garnering much more of a presence or scene in the FGC than it currently has for the most part. Particularly not in any significant way. I feel like the game would have to change significantly to really draw in a lot of new blood, but then it wouldn't really be Skullgirls, would it?

On topic; I think this game will last for a few years, but not much longer than that. The community is really honest in terms of it's size and presence and as that game is (percieved) now, I don't see it garnering much more popularity or new blood than it has now in any significant way. It'll get some more players online and off, some of whom will stick around and most of whom will drop the game after a few months at best. Then, the game will more or less return to it's current state and persist that way, declining slightly over the years until it's playerbase is mostly comprised of just very dedicated players who love the game, akin to the situation for games like Melty or VSav.

Like another poster said, most people have already made up their minds about this game, and I don't really see that changing in any remarkable way. (Unless Skullgirls can get it's own "Evo Moment #37", lol)

Agreed that P4A has loads of questionable design decisions, but it's still leagues better than Skullgirls. At least it has a mostly functional neutral game; SG really is basically like playing Virtua Fighter in a 2D engine. Nearly every game is decided either by dropped combos or guessing right in rock/paper/scissors reset situations.
What kind of crack do you need to smoke to get such a horribly wrong opinion such as this?

I won't even go into why this is wrong. Mike has already pointed out alot of the issues with Persona. That said, it's telling when two players with zero practice make top 8 in an international major (attended by Japanese players).

I dislike most of the other fighters this generation, so I'll probably be sticking with this game...probably almost for awhile.

You guys will judge me, but that is fine.

This is entirely OT and can be deleted whenever.

Nothing to do with your opinion of SG, but this is that post I was waiting for where you demonstrate exactly how little you understand about fighting games, be they P4A, SG, or VF. Thank you for concrete evidence, I love you good day.

reset-oriented, heavy pressure, RPS
Resets aren't RPS. Till you get over that hump they are understandably very frustrating, but they aren't even CLOSE to random or unguessable or even unpredictable.

I apologize for using that term incorrectly, then.

I apologize for using that term incorrectly, then.
Resets mean you have to keep paying attention while being hit, which lots of people dislike because many other newer fighting games don't require that from players, but they are by no means RPS.

Mixup situations annoy new players because they assume those situations are skill-less or random, when in fact they are the opposite.
It's the same reason why grapplers are always considered overpowered in every new game until people learn what their setups are - they have an option in mixups that beats two choices (blocking and throw tech) and is almost universally seen as unfair at the outset when people really are guessing in each situation, but which then becomes basically junk later on when opponents are no longer guessing what's possible, until actual landed command throws become extremely rare and the threat of the throw is what keeps players in line.

Properly defeating a mixup requires the most advanced knowledge out of anything in fighting games, because you have to know their character's options rather than just your own. (It's this fact that makes option selects so useful, since you have to know much less about the situation or the opponent.) People HATE that, because if you don't have the knowledge then you need to play to acquire it, and lose in the process. The better you get at reading people and the more you know about the other characters, the less resets are seen as random. Especially resets like the majority of SG players do, which are specific resets at specific points in combos. :^P

RPS can be played equally well double-blind each toss, since there's no real-time factor and each choice is always 33% successful. With resets that isn't true.
Even with a 33/33/33 reset opportunity, assuming an equally skilled opponent, the attacker will not be successful 2/3 of the time, and very often won't even be successful half the time. Extra factors like life, position, meter, etc go into subconsciously influencing what the attacker will do, and their opponent can read these same signs and sometimes become aware of tendencies the attacker doesn't even know they have. Etc etc articles on yomi and things.

I think that SG will go on at least for a year more after robo fortune is released officially, unless some of the next dlc character is really OP and breaks the balance of the game. Personally I'll play 'till I have people to play with, if all the people decide to quit for the latest sf/bb/gg/kof or whatever comes out I'd probably quit too, 'cause playing alone isn't an option for me. I don't dislike the game design itself, but I'm playing it mainly because it's fun and it's fun to play against people which beat me hands down because they are simply better than me, or have played better that match. It's not due to some huge gap between the characters I've been using and the opponent's one. Something that Blazblue has lost when he started to get too many characters in the CP version and even in CS, something that P4U2 doesn't simply has, something that is unthinkable in USFIV since the huge cast. That's my opinion obviously, but I think the winning factor is the balance, as long as lab 0 doesn't break the balance I'll enjoy the game.

Reactions: erkicman
I'm a huge nublet at this game, but I'd like to point something out about the world:
- The Terminator was a governor
- Presidential elections depend primarily on whose hyped up the most
- North Korea is actually a country
- A huge portion of whether or not you get a job or into grad. school is dependant on who you know
- League of Legends is one of the most popular competitive games around. People take it very seriously

Something's longevity is hardly determined by how good it is. You may have a slight advantage because Skullgirls is actually a good game (at least as far as I can see). People who want it to stay "alive" better be working at making it stay alive instead of posting in this thread—because the fact that SG is a good game has probably 5% to do with how long it'll be alive.

If everyone thinks it'll die after a year, it'll die after a year. If you don't want this, your goal shouldn't be to predict how long SG will live. It should be to make everyone think it will live a long time.

This thread isn't helping. :)

What kind of crack do you need to smoke to get such a horribly wrong opinion such as this?

I won't even go into why this is wrong. Mike has already pointed out alot of the issues with Persona. That said, it's telling when two players with zero practice make top 8 in an international major (attended by Japanese players).
People have done the exact same thing in ST and Alpha 2; I guess ST and Alpha 2 are bad games now?

@Mike_Z -- Just saying "you're a poopyhead and wrong!!!" whenever someone points out that neutral in SG sucks (and, really, I'm only about the 9 millionth person to make the SG/VF comparison, so it shouldn't be this controversial) isn't actually demonstrating in any way how they're wrong, or exactly why they don't know what they're talking about.

I never claimed VF isn't good. But it's not what I'm looking for in a 2D fighter.

Likewise, I actually really like the reset/mixup game that Skullgirls has. But its neutral is too dull for me to pick it over basically any ASW game (honestly, I'd have quit this game a long time ago if it weren't for Eliza and her ability to force the neutral away from some of this game's dumber tendencies -- I barely played this game at all during the summer.).

People have done the exact same thing in ST and Alpha 2; I guess ST and Alpha 2 are bad games now?

@Mike_Z -- Just saying "you're a poopyhead and wrong!!!" whenever someone points out that neutral in SG sucks (and, really, I'm only about the 9 millionth person to make the SG/VF comparison, so it shouldn't be this controversial) isn't actually demonstrating in any way how they're wrong, or exactly why they don't know what they're talking about.
But it's different when those wins were taken by questionable means and abusing fraudulent mechanics.
I never claimed VF isn't good. But it's not what I'm looking for in a 2D fighter.

Likewise, I actually really like the reset/mixup game that Skullgirls has. But its neutral is too dull for me to pick it over basically any ASW game (honestly, I'd have quit this game a long time ago if it weren't for Eliza and her ability to force the neutral away from some of this game's dumber tendencies -- I barely played this game at all during the summer.).
IMO, my experience is the opposite, me a a few of the local boys here play this game because the neutral at high levels reminds us of MvC2, except a bit more fair.

But it's different when those wins were taken by questionable means and abusing fraudulent mechanics.
As someone who isn't familiar with the P4A tournament in question, what exactly are "questionable means" and "fraudulent mechanics"?

@Cynical

Eliza doesn't make anyone do shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

filia still gets in there.
Fortune obviously still gets in there.
Fukua MAKES eliza play dumb.

the only characters forced to play somewhat of her game is Bella, double.

for peacock if you played mulnim or Ninja-nutria. they can most likely handle her well. its just playing a bit differently while still keeping to the core of the character.

What's good about her "fireball"? linear and can be hit. plus eliza gains no real ground cause she can't really move.

I dunno man i'll keep trying to see it from your side but.......i dunno.

That said Sg hasn't even evolved to the point of footsies. By the time the game is complete i can't wait for the real meta game to evolve.

Also Thank you @Mike_Z for producing skullgirls that i probably play way too much of.

@Cynical

Eliza doesn't make anyone do shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

filia still gets in there.
Fortune obviously still gets in there.
Fukua MAKES eliza play dumb.
Correct on Filia. Disagreed on Fortune. Fukua, I'm not certain either way.

What's good about her "fireball"? linear and can be hit. plus eliza gains no real ground cause she can't really move.
The thing that's special about MK soldier is that if someone tries the stupid "get over my opponent with an air normal with 50 thousand active frames and a disjoint hitbox" crap that otherwise tends to dominate SG without doing any spatial baiting first, they eat a full combo. Eliza having anti-air that's somewhat (not entirely, but that's fine, it shouldn't be) safe and has a great reward goes a long way to taking this game away from the dull "jump in or empty jump vs. call DP assist or do nothing" crap that passes for "footsies" in this game (and, let's be real, there won't ever be any actual footsies "evolving" out of the game. GGXrd has been out for a several months, and its neutral is far less dumb than Skullgirls' after years. Poor anti-airs + amazing air normals + Air Dash Cancel [as opposed to double jump cancel] mean it's always going to be brainless jump-ins all day). Add the fact that her air-to-air is incredibly powerful when spaced carefully (as opposed to the "fuck it, disjoint active normal[divekick if Squigly]!" that otherwise dominates the game), and you've got a character that just stops a lot of what makes this game dumb.

Picking Eliza instantly makes this game a lot more fun to play.

The thing that's special about MK soldier is that if someone tries the stupid "get over my opponent with an air normal with 50 thousand active frames and a disjoint hitbox" crap that otherwise tends to dominate SG without doing any spatial baiting first, they eat a full combo. Eliza having anti-air that's somewhat (not entirely, but that's fine, it shouldn't be) safe and has a great reward goes a long way to taking this game away from the dull "jump in or empty jump vs. call DP assist or do nothing" crap that passes for "footsies" in this game (and, let's be real, there won't ever be any actual footsies "evolving" out of the game. GGXrd has been out for a several months, and its neutral is far less dumb than Skullgirls' after years. Poor anti-airs + amazing air normals + Air Dash Cancel [as opposed to double jump cancel] mean it's always going to be brainless jump-ins all day). Add the fact that her air-to-air is incredibly powerful when spaced carefully (as opposed to the "fuck it, disjoint active normal[divekick if Squigly]!" that otherwise dominates the game), and you've got a character that just stops a lot of what makes this game dumb.

Picking Eliza instantly makes this game a lot more fun to play.
Goku dive is meh. i don't really care about what you think about fortune or fukua cause you generally never played against headless fortune.
Nothing on eliza is particularly Eye opening.

instead of being cynical and trying to predict the future of this game. shut up and play it. i've talked to you so you must seem a bit reasonable but you certainly jump off the gun at the second.

Overall i know how you feel towards the game i just don't want anyone to sprout incorrect facts on the game and tarnish it without giving the time to understand fighting games or even understanding the entirety of the game. not saying you do not(others say so) but just leave the game be. eliza was your saviour? cool. is she a fucking amazing addition to the game that it allows players to think differently? Not sure.

Wow. You really have no concept of what a neutral game is, huh? Also, anyone that thinks Virtua Fighter's meta is simply a guessing game, they have terrible fundamentals in defense and mixups.

This thread is like meeting a person and that person becomes your best friend, almost your brother.
You are there, hanging out together, having the greatest time, and suddenly you ask him "hey, in how much time our friendship will be dead?".

Disgusted.

Of course the "grass is always greener".... do you even play GG?
GG has been out for a loong time. Xrd is basically the same as old GG's with YRC in there instead of FRC's. And i guarantee if you play GG you will complain about dumb stuff too. Play my eddie in +R and you'll see, he is stupid. Play a good Milia or I-No, or zappa and you will cry.