• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Encore Edition Tiers and Matchups Discussion Thread: The Revengeance

You forget that Peacock also had TODs just like everyone else the only difference was she also had the best zoning game. I don't think she was better than Fortune or Val but she was definitely better than everyone else.

In your opinion, what do you think makes the low tiers low tier? What are they lacking/ what do the others have that they do better than the low tiers?

In your opinion, what do you think makes the low tiers low tier? What are they lacking/ what do the others have that they do better than the low tiers?
Mobility and neutral, IMO. Basically everyone is scary up close so that's not the problem. It's just the ability to do what you want to do without getting bopped.

Out of the frying pan and into the fryer. I could use old school fireball uppercut to show that dodging moves doesn't necessarily weaken the power of the move... I mean have fun jumping into that uppercut... But yeah I dodge it. And sometimes that gives me a good position... But most of the time that just puts right where peacock wants me... In AA assist range or I. The ground dashing and making myself vulnerable to all kinds of stupid ground stuff.

The strength of plane isn't the fact that it hits, the strength of plane is the fact that it hits at full screen and simultaneously controls huge amounts of space.

The only real difference from this peacock and old peacock is a bunch of nerfs to THIS peacock, and 2 buffs. 1 being mp bang (which everyone keeps telling me isn't very good) and the other is new plane.

But hey, if new plane isn't good... Then every peacock out there should be able to do relatively well without it. How many people thInk peacock without new plane is more than midtier? I'd like to see since those people would then have to admit that sde peacock was top tier as well since the only difference would be new mp bang.

Bla bla bla... Plane is strong because of the space it controls and the fact that it always forces "not so great" movement options from the attacker.

I never said new plane wasn't good. It just isn't good enough to make her top tier. Most Peacocks already don't do so hot with it right now so I don't really see what you're getting at. Boo hoo, you have to either time your air movement or block a little bit more on your approach.

Let's not talk about how she desperately needs to reposition herself when opening up a match, how she needs something covering her ass to get away from enemies, how her primary reversal only hits the most careless of offenses, how her other reversal is just a fake out that can get scooped to nullify its effect, how stubby her normals are.

Sure, Peacock is good and I like her the way she is, but she's not top tier and if she is, one move isn't what put her there. She's good at keeping most people from where they want to be, she's alright at getting where she wants to be, and she's not so great at getting others where she wants them to be without them screwing up. Use hornet bomber, Brass Knuckles, or another armored assist and she has to rely on a secondary game plan that offers mixed results or a tertiary plan that literally the entire cast does better than her.

TJ, McPeanuts, Jem, and Peck seem to be doing just fine so I don't know where this whole "peacocks ain't winning/doing well bit" is coming from.

@MF complaints

Guess how little other solos care about the single best solo character taking a nerf.

I didn't know there were only 7 Peacock players. My bad.

I didn't know there were only 7 Peacock players. My bad.

Only ones that matter.

I mean shit we only have like 2-3 real Parasoul players but shes nice as shiiiet.

I would like to say that both my parasoul and peacock are actually kind of incredible and if you disagree then just say it. I won't press you for it say what you feel.

i'm pretty sure the 3 parasouls are Dylan, Dylan, and Dylan

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I would like to say that both my parasoul and peacock are actually kind of incredible and if you disagree then just say it. I won't press you for it say what you feel.

You better catch these hands I'm about to throw at you dog whats with the third degree can I PLEASE live my life?

Reactions: dekillsage
Alright fine, I'm just saying that the move don't make her amazing. I'm gonna chill now.

Clearly we need to nerf head-on a few times to make headless more appealing.
Yeah, head-on Fortune doesn't sen as fun anymore.

After some research, here is my tier list in terms of utilization of tools, from easiest to hardest:
Filia(I have nothing to say)
Parasoul(Tears and Mary Poppins, command normals, especially air commands)
Double(Contrary to popular belief, barrel combos are hard to use, but she's very reset heavy as well)
Valentine(Vials, her DP Super, her LVL 5)
Miss Fortune(headless can be easy, but her DP move is hard to apply in a combo)
Fukua(although, this is deBETAble)
Painwheel(especially Hatred Install)
Big Band(resisting the use of Sound Stun till the right time)
Cerebella(Hit-grabs and run moves)
Squigly(stancel)
Peacock(Using both rushdown and zoning Peacock is not easy to attain)

You need more research - you don't understand what makes characters difficult to use, and you list things like combo tools(barrel loop, stancel) that are not even an issue of character tool implementation - combos are just combos, you do them when you get a hit. The difficult part of the games is when you actually have to play against another competent player.

The most difficult characters to use optimally are Peacock, Parasoul, and Big Band imo. For Peacock, avoiding dying is difficult while keeping up constant varied zoning, Parasoul requires great spacing and keen knowledge of all of her normals as well as shot/tear placement, Big Band is a defensive character in a rushdown heavy game and relies on hard reads to get his good reward.

Painwheel is an honorable mention because her neutral is lacking and the game hates her.

I understand what you're saying, but did I get most of my points right, and should I actually give a reason for Filia being the easiest?

cerebella : 3rd hardeest char to use...da fuck?

I understand what you're saying, but did I get most of my points right, and should I actually give a reason for Filia being the easiest?

It's better to give a reason than to say "need I say more" when your list implies that you don't really understand what makes a character difficult to use.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Painwheel is an honorable mention because her neutral is lacking and the game hates her.

There has to be some irony to this considering how angry Painwheel is all the time.:PUN:

Fine. I will do my best to understand the difficulty of tool implementation of each character. So what makes a character harder to use than others? Is it the amount of tools they have in quantity? Or is it applying the characters in other ways than how they seem to be intended to be used? I still stand by Peacock being the hardest to use because of the decisions that go into when she should be used in zoning and when she can be used to attack directly, plus some of her normals like j.Mk is hard to really use. Plus, most players can easily predict her teleportation strategies, unless a good Peacock mixes up her teleportation game to get a combo out of her. So I think the difficulty of a character may depend on how hard it is to approach their opponent.
It's better to give a reason than to say "need I say more" when your list implies that you don't really understand what makes a character difficult to use.
The reason I had Filia first was because her tools are easy to use for any player. Updo is great for anti-air and can be combo'd into Gregor(sometimes Feneir if your fast enough), her air Hairballs can into three different directions making her reset streategy hard to guess, Gregor itself is great in hitstop and Feneir Drive is like Updo if you want to punish your opponents AND combo off of if your OTG isn't used, the Drill move is capable of being an unexpectedly good zoning application when used in conjunction with Gregor, and her fake out special is essentially like Napalm Shot and George specials, except not being able to attack, and is a gracious move when Burst Baiting. Her tools have set uses tha you will be quickly familiar with.

Last edited:
No, you didn't get most of your points right. Your points were technically correct in that they were things that existed in the game. However, when you are asked to explain your reasons for why you thought that Filia required no explanation for her ease of use, you listed a lot of things for Filia that aren't actually the main reasons why Filia is easy to play. Filia is easy to play because of her very simple gameplan made uncomplicated by her small but potent set of tools - most notably, her airdash and her jumping normals.

You are blinded by special moves, even though they are more utility than things to base your entire game on. If you try to base your entire Filia game off of Updo, Hairball, Fenrir, Gregor, Drill->Gregor, she would be the hardest character in the game to play because she would be horribly gimped - you wouldn't be using her most basic, most potent tools.

I don't think you have the right knowledge to be making any real qualitative judgement on any aspect of the game yet.

git gud

Reactions: Dime
No, you didn't get most of your points right. Your points were technically correct in that they were things that existed in the game. However, when you are asked to explain your reasons for why you thought that Filia required no explanation for her ease of use, you listed a lot of things for Filia that aren't actually the main reasons why Filia is easy to play. Filia is easy to play because of her very simple gameplan made uncomplicated by her small but potent set of tools - most notably, her airdash and her jumping normals.

You are blinded by special moves, even though they are more utility than things to base your entire game on. If you try to base your entire Filia game off of Updo, Hairball, Fenrir, Gregor, Drill->Gregor, she would be the hardest character in the game to play because she would be horribly gimped - you wouldn't be using her most basic, most potent tools.

I don't think you have the right knowledge to be making any real qualitative judgement on any aspect of the game yet.

git gud

Welcome to Skull Heart.

Hello everyone, I just picked up Skullgirls a few days ago for PS+ and have been practicing with Big Band. I decided to refuse to play any story mode or public online until I at least know one characters moves in and out and I've looked at a lot of tournaments for the game and I've noticed that it seems like generally speaking that this game is pretty balanced. Everyone had tools to do some serious hurt and assists seemed to cover the weaknesses of others and it got me thinking about the tier list. Is there one that is generally accepted by the community?

Filia and Double are mostly accepted as top tier but, as you pointed out, the game is really well balanced, if you know your characters well you can win regardless

Top tier on the "fuck this character is absolutely annoying and should never have been implemented into the game" list. Best character in the game? nah. Maybe better than half the cast though

There was a stream a while ago where a group of players discussed the matchups and came up with a table/tier list. Can't seem to find it right now, though.

Hello everyone, I just picked up Skullgirls a few days ago for PS+ and have been practicing with Big Band. I decided to refuse to play any story mode or public online until I at least know one characters moves in and out and I've looked at a lot of tournaments for the game and I've noticed that it seems like generally speaking that this game is pretty balanced. Everyone had tools to do some serious hurt and assists seemed to cover the weaknesses of others and it got me thinking about the tier list. Is there one that is generally accepted by the community?

Ignore the advice of everyone in this thread and play who you find the most fun. Every character can be decently competitive with every other character.

Skullgirls sorta has tiers, but they are so narrow that it doesn't much matter who you play. There's no Sean or Roll in Skullgirls.

That is because you must search for it, rather than wait for potentially bad advice to be shoved down your throat.

Its good to know everyone is generally competitive with each other. I come from Playstation All Stars and I love the game but lets just say its a mess in terms of balance(a recent patch made it better though). I'm guessing balance also comes in the way of teams since if your character isn't well suited to the task you could get in someone that is or assist. How's Parasoule(I think I wrote that right)? She seems like she could be good with the tear mines. Peacock seems annoying as hell. You said it was to early to tell about Fukua(whom I found today and was like Wtf?) which made me wonder how old is this game? It was at EVO2012 but was the game actually out at that point?