• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

I would rather have it be her gi alt more than anything.
that to me seems like what a more adult Sakura would be.

So, cheerful makoto?

So, cheerful makoto?
well, they're both wearing gi, yes, but they don't look the same
sakura_alt_colors.jpg

Anything can be fan service.

That's absolutely true, but sometimes the inclusion of something is fan service in and of itself.

Were I to make a fighter with nothing but catholic school girls, it would be clearly fan service no matter how accurate my portrayal actually was of the school girl outfit.

In any case, I don't have any real problem with Sakura or the non-fan service Capcom females, but as regards SFV, we have two females... one with an atomic wedgie (that's not uniform regulation!), and one with the most impressive jiggle physics I've seen in a long, long time (it has said that this will be fixed, so in that case, good for them).

The jiggle-physics is a P2-side-only bug; it doesn't happen on the P1 side.

It also doesn't just affect Chun Li; it also messes up Birdie's chain, Ryu's clothes, and any other "soft thing" animation.

Queue people calling the bug fix censorship, regardless.

@DukeMagus

Isn't death by chip (or chip at all) the extra rule?

Chip is an almost universal mechanic: everyone can deal it anytime with any special attack, and one applied for over a decade in a multitude of games.

It solves the problem of excessive turtling and "dumb defense" with varied intensity: chip is REALLY dangerous at marvel 3, where air blocking is somethign really strong and super jumps increases the time you can stay in the air with a solid defense. The only way to avoid chip is expending a critical resource: X-Factor, so you either save a character or make that awesome super damaging combo.

If you make chip even more exclusive than "only special attacks" you start to make the effect of such specifics more and more acentuated.

Think skullgirls and imagine your "only projectiles can chip kill". Suddenly the meta game changes and you just gave an big buff to projectile characters and nerfed the hell out of the ones with bad/no projectiles.

On a side note, Marvel 3 needed a burst mechanic. Badly

slightly off topic but I always did think it was weird that MvC3 had no burst mechanic after TvC did.

anyway from what I've seen the game is shaping up in a pretty interesting direction. The artstyle especially, and the throwbacks to alpha are nice.

speaking of, someone fill me in, how lenient is sfv? are we getting another game of 1 frame links or are combos a bit easier?

They've said there is less of a focus on tight links and more target combos. Also a lot of inputs have been made more lenient such as 360s now being half circles.

Maximilian recently did a couple of wishlist videos about top 5 returning characters and top 5 characters to forget for SFV. I'm curious what your list would be. Here's mine.

Least wanted to return
  • El Fuerte: [squeaky sneaker noise]
  • Decapre: Not hungry for SFxT leftovers that look like Cammy.
  • Dan: Joke shoto characters can join after all the important spots are filled.
  • Rufus: Annoying and apparently redundant (Max points out he has many Yun moves).
  • Twelve: If you think Seth is bland, look at this gray, personality-lacking guy. Beautifully animated in SFIII, but doesn't stand out as a SF character.
Most wanted to return (mainly because they are fun to play and are interesting characters)
  • Juri
  • Q
  • Necro
  • Sagat
  • Rose
(Skullomania, Garuda, Pullum, Doctrine Dark, and other great Street Fighter EX series characters would be on this list if they weren't owned by the game developer company Arika)

Man, if the game is set after 3S I want adult Sean, Makoto, and Sakura.

Reactions: The Dave
Hmmm, here is my list, have in mind that i barely played alpha, so i don't have attachment to alpha characters in general.
Also, have in mind that i decided that i would try not to hate a character because of its gameplay aspects (gimmicks, mixups, or what people tend to call unfair or "this is not a sf character")

That i don't want to return:
Seth - I hate him, his character, his personality, the fact that he is only a bunch of moves of other characters have.
Evil Ryu - Well, while i like some shoto clones, i hate the idea of: here, this is ryu, but better. Besides, Ryu is already a resolved man, he isn't tempted by the satsui no hado anymore.
Rufus - Well, i hate his design, they could make a fat guy looks so badass, but they make this guy.
Twelve - What a boring character.
Akuma - Well, wait for the characters to return for me to explain that a little bit.

That i want to return:
Makoto - I'm trying to learn her in both 3s and USF4 for some time now, and i love her concept, and i would love to see her getting more space in the main story.
Sakura - An adult Sakura, strong, at least ryu level of power. xD
Sean - I told before my idea of ryu and ken as the master shotos (like akuma and gouki), and sean and sakura taking the place of the regular shotos, basically, that is why i want both to return.
Urien - Ok, i don't love urien, and i don't know how to play urien, but everytime i see a good urien playing (i love seeing the max and gootecks vs the world series), it is so amazing, that i want to see that in sf 5.
Oni - Here is why i don't want akuma in SFV, i want Oni, not exactly oni how he is in SFV, but a mix between the 2 gameplay wise, but design wise, pure Oni. Imagine that after so many years, he eventually was dominated by his powers, and then became oni completely.

Besides that, i really want to see Q, Alex, and other 3s characters.

Characters I want to return:
Q
Urien
Alex
Dudley (Yeah, I know, London stage got its fighters)
Cody

Characters I don't want to return:
Rufus
Seth
Shotos (Other than maybe Akuma and of course new playstyles for old shotos is fine)

I don't really dislike anyone else enough to say they shouldn't back, as long as our launch roster is diverse (and diversity is at least a focus moving on) I'm fine.

Least wanted to return
  • Ken: Always found his design uninteresting. He’s the original shoto-clone and the one that the term has generally applied to most.
  • Dan: Parody characters can wait.
  • Seth: Kind of begs to be redesigned so might as well add a new character instead
  • Rufus: Mostly the same reasons as everyone else that doesn’t like him.
  • Blanka: Completely subjective and even silly superstitious reasons ( Wasn’t in SFA2 or 3rd Strike).
  • E. Ryu: Every interesting or good thing he has was stolen from Ryu or Akuma and they sometimes seem to lose things just to justify his existence.
Most wanted to return
  • Akuma
  • Gouki
  • Akuma
  • Gouki
  • Akuma
Honorable Mentions
  • Makoto: Probably started liking her more after playing SG
  • Poison: Like her design and moveset
  • Eagle: Liked his moveset in CvS2
  • Oro

Last edited:
Reactions: BallotBoxer
I want Hakan and Sakura back, and Juri. I mean, I'd like Q, and Cody, but I ain't holding my breath for any of them.

I really don't want Oni or E. Ryu back, at least for E. Ryu I don't wnt him back in the initial version. Save him for later when we've established the game. Honestly I only want Sakura, Ryu, and Ken to come back as far as Shotos go, but Akuma's back. He's about as synonymous with the series as Ryu is at this point.

Technically, his "top five nopes" seemed to be exclusively for IV newcomers, so it's whatever. The only ones he DIDN'T mention were Gouken, Viper, Decapre <why> and Oni <double why>

Top 5 Yeps
5. Sodom <I unno, there's just SOMETHING about his personality and moveset i'd love to see Capcom come back to and freshen up for a new game>
4. Abel <If only so we don't leave his story hanging after having JUST introduced him>
3. Poison <She's a bit of a darkhorse favorite of mine, plus it'd be a bit of a waste to just dump her after finally making her playable>
2. Hugo <Biggest character in the series=I automatically like him>
1. Hakan <LOOKS LIKE IT'S TIME TO OIL UP>

Top 5 Nopes
5. Honestly, i'm gonna cheat and just have this be a catch-all for everyone who's already come back for another game already <minus the people I have in my Yeps because bias, of course, but also Sakura if they can keep her separate enough from Ryu and also not have the fucking school uniform>. Let some other people come back who are still one-offs, don't just reuse the same few people over and over. This includes Viper already being reused for MVC 3
4. Rufus <he's pretty annoying in personality>
3. Remy <I kinda wanna see Guile come back to finally get his closure about Charlie, but even then a second or third Sanic Boamer is a bit much>
2. Decapre <yeah yeah she's a charge character and has some unique moves, but i'm not too keen on her design>
1. Oni/Evil Ryu <these guys technically aren't even canon anymore (or at all, in Oni's case) sooooo>

Last edited:
Sodom would be sick...

Ya know what? We should just have SF: Final Fight edition where its just all the Final Fight characters that've been in SF and Haggar and Ryu an Ken. :/
Or we could get a new, GOOD, Final Fight...
I'm actually still pretty fine with Final Fight being used mostly to make new fighters XD It'd be weird seeing them as reocurring grunts again after SF.

I liked Rufus ;-;

I mean, top five characters would probably be like

Joe
Haggar
Q
Juri
Cody

but still. His jiggle physics were hilarious.

My top 5 most wanted:

Alex
Alex
Q
Alex
Hakan ( He's one of the few good things to comeout of SFIV)

Top 5 "fuck off" characters:
Makoto
El Fuerte

Top five for me is definitely:

R. Mika
Ingrid
Area
Elena
Karin

Maximilian recently did a couple of wishlist videos about top 5 returning characters and top 5 characters to forget for SFV. I'm curious what your list would be. Here's mine.

Least wanted to return
  • El Fuerte: [squeaky sneaker noise]
  • Decapre: Not hungry for SFxT leftovers that look like Cammy.
  • Dan: Joke shoto characters can join after all the important spots are filled.
  • Rufus: Annoying and apparently redundant (Max points out he has many Yun moves).
  • Twelve: If you think Seth is bland, look at this gray, personality-lacking guy. Beautifully animated in SFIII, but doesn't stand out as a SF character.
Most wanted to return (mainly because they are fun to play and are interesting characters)
  • Juri
  • Q
  • Necro
  • Sagat
  • Rose
(Skullomania, Garuda, Pullum, Doctrine Dark, and other great Street Fighter EX series characters would be on this list if they weren't owned by the game developer company Arika)
Least Wanted:
  • Rufus
  • E. Ryu
  • Gil
  • Seth
Most Wanted:
  • Necro
  • R. Mika
  • Rose
  • Vega
  • Elena
  • Q
Honorable Mentions:
  • Remy
  • Hugo
  • Maki

The bests:
El Fuerte
Hakan
R. Mika
Alex
Skullomania (or more realistically Q)

The Rests:
the rest

Reactions: Covenant
Least Wanted:
7. T. Hawk
6. Gill
5. El Fuerte
4. Evil Ryu
3. Oni
2. Seth
1. Gouken

Most Wanted:
7. Q
6. Juri
5. Guile
4. Eagle
3. Oro
2. Ken
1. Sean

I don't play enough Street Fighter to have a top 5 least wanted list
:(

Also so much Rufus hate, da fuck?
Also not a fan of Max's Go Away list being exclusively SF 4 characters.
Like, Hakan? Really?

Only SF chars I'd really wanna see return are Q and Oro, maybe Skullomania.
But even then if SF V is after SF 3 Oro might be a skeleton by the time of the game.

Everybody hates rufus because he went from a cool character (black muai tai fighter ) to a fat blob who hates ken masters for no reason.

I don't play SF so you can guess how valid my opinion is, but as a spectator and casual player, I'd like to see the weird (visually and/or gameplay-wise) characters from 2D Street Fighters games get their chance to appear in the 3D world.

That said, I was glad to see Birdie make it, and were I to make a 5-character list of "more of that, please", it would be:
- Oro
- Necro
- Q
- Twelve
- Gill

Reactions: Covenant
Q is on like every list here and every list I've seen elsewhere, how much has character popularity mattered in the past?

Man all your picks is shit. Only one guy put in juri.

Take ken out the game. Keep ryu and akuma. Take out rufus. Take out hakan.

Put juri in game. She is bae

Watch your mouth. Keep Ken in the game! Fuck Akuma... most boring champ to watch in any game.

literally everyone is boring except dan
abel is kinda cute

just turn everyone into sakura imo

Keep Ken in the game! Fuck Akuma
That sounds awful.