• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Lore Speculation

The artwork is awesome as always and I love the new look for Grendel. Looks like they took Ganondorf and an Oni and threw them into the blender, and I'm totally fine with that.

https://twitter.com/Skullgirls/status/556258417820450816
Beowulf's main art

Did Grendel get a redesign? I thought he looked a bit different in his old art.

He finally looks like a Gigan, with the elongated upper arm and crown of horns. Really digging it. Hope we see a bit of him in Beowulf's story mode. Also think it'd be cool if he had a similar relationship to Beowulf as the Woodsman has with Bigby Wolf in Fables.
Before his redesign I had no idea what I was looking, only that it was cool and was not a gigan.

I actually had never really thought about this until now, but Scythana must get her skin color from the human side.

And second lore question: Supposedly, although this may be outdated, Grendel's mother tried to eat the audience after her son lost to Beowulf. Does this mean Gigans eat humans/elves/ferals/etc?

Also think it'd be cool if he had a similar relationship to Beowulf as the Woodsman has with Bigby Wolf in Fables.
That would be beautiful, best Frenemies for life.
daa

More or less stating that 1. One Peacock is indeed a child 2.She's a parody of several cartoons and vidya gaems 3. The literal meaning, Synthetic Parasites are fake Parasites which are divine being (allegedly) and that Peacock, with an assortment of synthetic parasites and other worldly abilities is a far cry from divinity.

Which raises the question, can a synthetic parasite reach a divine like state? Can they become demi gods? How much knowledge does the labs have on Parasites

I could see it go either way now, actually. Would be neat if there were an Argus/Odysseus parallel in-world, but it could also just be that Eliza sees Synthetics as mockeries of true Theon power.

As for an artificial divinity? Well... if Mechanus weren't real, Man would have to make Him. :D

That would be beautiful, best Frenemies for life.
Slightly off topic, but I figured Glass Him meant pour him a drink.

Reactions: Burruni
Slightly off topic, but I figured Glass Him meant pour him a drink.
Didn't everyone think that?

Didn't everyone think that?
Nah, I thought it meant pour sand over him and throw him in a furnace.

Anyway, slightly back on topic.

Digging the new design for Grendel, and indeed, I thought of Ganon when I saw it.

And if he's that size, then I could imagine his mom being King Kong.

Plot twist: Grendel's mother is sexy like the other women in Skullgirls which adds to Beowulf's guilt.
I wouldn't call Regina sexy, but based on fan art I've seen some people would disagree with me on that.

The only reason most people don't find her sexy is because she's covered and has a big nose. 'most people' does not necessarly include Ahad, tho. She's got the curves of a goddess

I don't think 'being covered' is what puts me off... I think it might be that she has the same legs as Panzerfaust.
Although as far as noses I find Alex Ahad's Blackbody pretty cute (which anyone who has recently been to the fan palette thread would know) as well as Selene Contiello (although her nose isn't nearly as bulbous.) Hell I think Medli from Windwaker is cute!
Maybe it's just that Regina has a bitchy resting face...

Anyway back to lore speculation:
I imagine Taliesin, Beatrix and Regina are some of the performers most up for Medici work. Taliesin is a sadist, Beatrix is ambitious and Regina pretty much has to be evil in my eyes simply because she's the unofficial leader of the circus. The Ringmaster, Clown and Spade Face all look like mean customers too, but you can't judge a book by it's cover.
They say that some members aren't assassins and some aren't even aware of the Circus's other dealings, but that pretty much means just Feng and Hubrecht. And I think it's pretty clear Feng knows exactly what's going on, she just tries to stay out of it.

Considering a circus is a traveling act, the Medici's influence must be far-reaching. Imagine all the jobs they pull as they circuit around the three countries (maybe they just stay in Canopy Kingdom).

Of all the Cirque des Cartes, I'd say Taliesin is thickest among the Medici. His bio on the third character page:
Taliesin’s role includes punishing members of the Cirque des Cartes who would defy their contract. He keeps a collection of his favorite victims, eliciting jealousy from his accomplice and Remote Parasite, Muse.

Speaking of circus folk, over in the Cerebella story mode thread we were talking about Skull Heart and wishes. And it got me thinking about the legend:

The Legend said:
Legend tells of an ancient artifact that can grant a woman's wish... The Skull Heart. However if she is impure of heart, she will be turned into an immmensely powerful, twisted being of destruction... The Skullgirl.

What if one wishes for immortality? A Skullgirl that can't be destroyed. This is a stretch but, what if Queen Lamia made a similar wish, became a Skullgirl (the first Skullgirl?), and somehow became fragmented. One part being the Skull Heart, and the leftover mess now known as Double. Skull Heart and Double seem to speak as one (see Eliza's story mode).

Eliza: Skull Heart! You should have chosen a livelier host.
Skull Heart: ...I've... found... you...
Eliza: What?
Skull Heart: The Crimson... Scourge...
Skull Heart: ...NEFERU...!!
*Double tentacle lances from nowhere and rips off Eliza's right arm*
Double: Betrayer! You alone shall never be forgiven!

I did some thinking and the NMO is clearly a parody of nWo (but that was already covered) but what people don't remember was there was a split between the nWo. There was the normal nWo who where the heels then there was the nWo Wolfpack, who were the faces. So what I'm thinking is either the Wulfpack mentioned is either his fan-base or his own stable full of faces. If this has been already verified please ignore this comment.

Here is a question how did the Canopy Kingdom survive all the surrounding nations forming up to attack them after Nancy's wish. Because in canon ALL Skullheart wishes, (that have nothing to do with becoming the Skullgirl, because the Skullheart already has a rule-set on how you become it, so wishing to become it just means no other wishers were granted and it's rule-set on how pure the wish was goes into play), twisted by the heart or not are granted immediately, (see Filia's ending).

So by canon logic all the countries would feel the immediate need to attack the kingdom.
And the time-frame of at least 9 months or more had to occur between the wish and Nancy Skullgirl, (start of war end of war) because she had to have gotten pregnant during the Skullgirl transformation process.
That means the least amount of time of the war would have been getting pregnant after wishing on the SH on the same day, then right after giving birth to Umbrella immediately she would become the Skullgirl.

So given that time frame and multiple surrounding countries attacking all at the same time on the Kingdom I would think that it would be nei impossible for Canopy to stll exist!

BUT!
I do have one theory on how it could have survived.
What if during that time frame knowing the oncoming threat is when the Canopy government turned to drastic measures.
What if during that tie frame they created the living weapons! (The creation of which is theorized here!)

It makes too much sense, think about it, their power would even out the playing field long enough for SG Nancy to take the charge.
And in Cerebella's story her living weapon of Vice Versa was passed down to her by her parents that are dead! (Dead by fighting in the war!) and that would explain the absence of her parents and why she of all people outside of the military would have such a dangerous weapon.

(ps. this theory was made on Thursday night streaming event. Theory Thursdays!
And this will become a Skull Lore Theories video!)

Last edited:
I thought it better to refute parts of your theory over in the thread you created for it.

It got me thinking about the Grand War, and when it happened. The war between the Canopy Kingdom, the Chess Kingdom, and the Gigan Nation lasted about a decade and is shown in lime in the following graph:
AQ9zTeI.gif

We all know it ended when Queen Renoir transformed into the Skullgirl and became a threat all three countries needed to combine to defeat. I'm curious to what started the Grand War. Hopefully rumors of Beowulf's military service might be addressed in his much anticipated story mode.

Im really curious about something. When parasoul beats beowulf she says "you served our cause back thrn. You should retire now " what could she possibly mean? It like her and beowulf have a history or something

There are two explanations for Parasoul's quote after winning against Beowulf:
  1. Beowulf killing Grendel's mother to prevent deaths of people was considered a service by Parasoul.
  2. Beowulf used to work for Parasoul as a soldier, a spy, or something else.
Note that Parasoul also arrests Beowulf after defeating him which might mean that Beowulf has done something illegal. We have yet to know what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Dave
There are two explanations for Parasoul's quote after winning against Beowulf:
  1. Beowulf killing Grendel's mother to prevent deaths of people was considered a service by Parasoul.
  2. Beowulf used to work for Parasoul as a soldier, a spy, or something else.
Note that Parasoul also arrests Beowulf after defeating him which might mean that Beowulf has done something illegal. We have yet to know what it is.
Mann..if he turns out yo have been an egret soldier. His story will be the fuckin best

Saw this while training against Beo earlier...

Who's This.jpg

So... Any ideas who it is? Probably hasn't been introduced yet, hence the question marks. Has it been pointed out yet?

If you look closely enough,you'll see an impossible hourglass Figure...

So this indicates that Aeon does indeed associate herself with Earth(?) culture. Enough to get her own banner in a wrestling arena.

Fascinating. This suggests an entirely new line of investigation.

Wait,let's all think for a moment,Why is the Goddess of time,1/3rd of the Trinity,on a banner,in a wrestling stadium?
Do the Trinity regularly attend sporting events?Why New Meridian of all places to show up?Isn't Aeon a shut-in Otaku?Do they have to drag her there?DO THEY GET FREE ADMISSION?!Also,on a more serious note,have the denizen(heh)s of earth acknowledged the fact their deities roam the earth?

Chill out guys, it's probably just Lab Zero using Beo's stage as an opportunity to honor the characters that didn't win the voting polls.
But we're speculating.In the speculation thread.

Looking more closely at my screenshot, and yeah, it's probably Aeon. Weird that they went with question marks instead of her name. Though, after Eliza's story mode, it could be they wanted to shy away from saying it outright. If that's the case, why include her portrait in the first place? Have there been similar portraits of Venus/Lamia? I know Isaac has one...

I mean, it makes little sense in-world for Minette to have a wrestling portrait. And you'd probably get stabbed for drawing attention to Black Dahlia, and I know she has one, too. So... It could be that Aeon's manipulating the world, and keeps her own presence obfuscated.

so... much... lore... :D

Looking more closely at my screenshot, and yeah, it's probably Aeon. Weird that they went with question marks instead of her name. Though, after Eliza's story mode, it could be they wanted to shy away from saying it outright. If that's the case, why include her portrait in the first place? Have there been similar portraits of Venus/Lamia? I know Isaac has one...

I mean, it makes little sense in-world for Minette to have a wrestling portrait. And you'd probably get stabbed for drawing attention to Black Dahlia, and I know she has one, to. So... It could be that Aeon's manipulating the world, and keeps her own presence obfuscated.

so... much... lore... :D
Loreverload.

Yeah with Scythana being a felon and Minette being just a waitress (albeit one with an important dad) we can assume that the banners are more of a fourth wall break than anything else. Beowulf, being a slightly less lore heavy character as well as being one of the games last characters is kinda heavy in the whole 'Hey remember Skullgirls?' department, with the staff cameos and tributes to the characters that never made it in.
It's pretty cool that the team wants the game (or at least the Indiegogo campaign content) to go out with a bang.

Also here's my lore speculation for the day:
If Lorenzo was to die he'd name Dahlia as his successor. He values and trusts her more than any of his sons and knows she'd do him proud. No basis, just the impression I've gotten on their relationship.

If Lorenzo was to die he'd name Dahlia as his successor. He values and trusts her more than any of his sons and knows she'd do him proud. No basis, just the impression I've gotten on their relationship.
That seems like some good fanfic material, what with the last B. Dahlia one I read being very satisfying in terms of showing one's inner emotions.
Also, yeh, I think it's Aeon's fault for making the wrestling arena fabulous. Get the damn fashion police in here.

No denying Black Dahlia's status as Lorenzo's right-hand woman and trusted enforcer, but I see her as being the Robert Duvall character from The Godfather. The adopted son, Tom Hagen, is trusted enough to become consigliere, but as an outsider, his non-Italian ancestry precludes his formal membership in the Mafia. As a cyborg elf (yes, elf is a race in the SG universe. Dr. Avian is one) from the early years of the Anti-Skullgirl labs I can't see her getting closer to the Medici inner circle as anything other than bodyguard/assassin.

Besides, Vitale's inevitable coup will have B. Dahlia a Cirque des Cartes target. It is as if Vitale resents his father. I mean, in Cerebella's ending, he's lounging around with the Life Gem instead of rushing it to the rapidly dying Lorenzo.

Speaking of Lorenzo Medici, his possession of the Life Gem gave him an extended lifespan and almost-eternal youth. I wonder how he used the Life Gem. He didn't ingest it like Fortune because it had to be somewhere for the Fishbone Gang to steal it (put it in a safe every night?). Maybe he kept it in his pocket or under his hat, as something to grip and become a fast-healing nigh-invincible mobster.

The poster is Aeon and simply has question marks to indicate no one knows her name,though they are worshipped in a church hard to believe they pray to the Lamia, Venus , and holy ???

But its just cause it's honoring the vote polls

As for Dhalia, she takes pride in her work and it's messy work, a banner is the least of her worries

Besides, Vitale's inevitable coup will have B. Dahlia a Cirque des Cartes target. It is as if Vitale resents his father. I mean, in Cerebella's ending, he's lounging around with the Life Gem instead of rushing it to the rapidly dying Lorenzo.
Yeh, I noticed that, and that had me thinking.
Lorenzo may already have been dead at that point.
In which case, we might be wrong, B. Dahlia might not be the leader of the mafia after his passing.

Man I'd love some info on Lorenzo's other sons...

Skullgirls.com:
"Lorenzo is the patriarch of the Medici clan, and he’s sat atop its throne as long as anyone can remember… some say even longer. However, he has recently disappeared, leaving his son, Vitale, in charge."

It seems like Lorenzo trusts Vitale to a degree (well at least a greater degree than he deserves)
I kinda wonder why anyone would trust him though... he's on nobody's side but his own.

Visual aid to the conversation:

(Lorenzo looks pretty healthy here, old, but healthy.)